State Funeral of HM Queen Elizabeth II: 19 September 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am glad to see that some of Prince Philip's relatives from Germany attended. They are also related to Queen Elizabeth II.
They’ve always been close to them and have been invited other events too.

I didn't notice any of the European royals joining in the singing. It woudn't be right for them to sing another country's anthem.

The tune is the same as the Norwegian royal anthem.

The only one I saw was former Monarch Beatrix!

Princess Alexandra

where was HRH Princess Alexandra? there is one pic above labeled as HRH, but doesnt even look like her ?

I've been wondering the same thing. I saw a photo of her at Westminster Hall, but the woman on these two photos from the funeral doesn't look like Alexandra to me:

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2022/09/19/10/62560117-11226793-image-a-16_1663579552755.jpg

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2022/09/19/10/62560121-11226793-image-m-15_1663579539939.jpg

The only one I saw was former Monarch Beatrix!

All three the Dutch royals fully joined in the Anglican service.

Máxima has been at a British College (Northlands in Buenos Aires). Willem-Alexander has been at a British College (Atlantic College in Wales). Beatrix has lived in Canada during WWII and had British nannies. Maybe that is why they are quite open to the neighbours at the other side of the North Sea.

Last edited:

Máxima has been at a British College (Northlands in Buenos Aires). Willem-Alexander has been at a British College (Atlantic College in Wales). Beatrix has lived in Canada during WWII and had British nannies. Maybe that is why they are quite open to the neighbours at the other side of the North Sea.

The Norwegian king and queen too and especially during God Save the King!

Princess Elena of Romania and her husband were guests at the committal service at St George's Chapel.

Or maybe it was because the British Royals had provided shelter for the Dutch royals when they first left occupied Holland before they went to Canada.

what an impressive set of ceremonies have been organised to say goodbye to HM. well deserved.

do we know any details of the burial such as what happened and who attended?

Yes, it is. The royal anthem, not the national one.
King Olav had a bunch of reasons. :cool:

Ah sorry, I thought you meant Ja vi elsker dette landet. I really tried to find any similarity :lol:

??? Can you explain?

His mother was the daughter of Edward VII who never stopped thinking of Britain as home and living there part-time, and the British took him and his dad during WWII (at an enormous cost of lives with a ship being sunk during their escape) and gave them a place to keep resisting the Nazi invasion.

Also I imagine he was quite familiar with the tune from being his royal anthem.

So take your pick for any of those. Although it seems that the rest of the crowd was singing to the theatre in general, and he was singing to Elizabeth.

His mother was the daughter of Edward VII who never stopped thinking of Britain as home and living there part-time, and the British took him and his dad during WWII (at an enormous cost of lives with a ship being sunk during their escape) and gave them a place to keep resisting the Nazi invasion.

Also I imagine he was quite familiar with the tune from being his royal anthem.

So take your pick for any of those. Although it seems that the rest of the crowd was singing to the theatre in general, and he was singing to Elizabeth.

Edward VII never had children.

Edit: sorry, read very quickly and saw Edward VIII instead of Edward VII. Didn’t have an option to just delete the comment.

Last edited:
(Albert Edward) Edward VII--> George V--> (Albert) George VI --> Elizabeth
(Albert Edward) Edward VII--> Maud --> (Alexander) Olav.

Just to clear up the confusion...

So he was half-British, he spoke beautiful Queen's English, her father saved him and his dad and sacrificed people to do it, and it's his song too. Is that enough reason for a fellow monarch to sing to her?

what an impressive set of ceremonies have been organised to say goodbye to HM. well deserved.

do we know any details of the burial such as what happened and who attended?

No details have been released.

That was their private goodbye and after sharing their goodbyes with the nation and the world surely we can leave them that final private time without needing to know who was there and what happened other than:

The late Queen and Philip's coffins were lowered into the George VI Chapel and the new King sprinkled some dirt from all over the UK onto Elizabeth's coffin.

Interesting article. Buckingham Palace requested media broadcasters to removed five pieces of footage from videos of Westeminster and Windsor services.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...o-footage-coverage-queen-elizabeth-ii-funeral

I had already noticed on one re-watch on YouTube, (Sky's broadcast) that the removal of the regalia from the coffin was edited out - you just see the Dean accepting the crown. Also, part of The King placing the small standard on the coffin was also edited out.

I don't really see it as censorship or anything like that (which the Guardian seems to be subtly implying) - the event was broadcast live and the article even mentions that on services like iplayer the original footage is there for up to a month unedited. I think removing parts such as Beatrice and Eugenie leaving etc are really just about keeping a solemn and dignified event and not drawing focus off that. I'm sure the caveat is included mainly to ensure, should any member of the RF become overly upset, fall etc the footage is not there forever to replay over and over.

A little confused. I thought the George VI Memorial Chapel was a private area, not accessible to the public?

A little confused. I thought the George VI Memorial Chapel was a private area, not accessible to the public?

The public cannot enter the chapel, but most of the interior is visible behind an iron gate. I saw it in 2017 on a trip to Windsor.

:previous: I see...thank you. It's a very minimalist but elegant area from what I have seen of it.

I don't really see it as censorship or anything like that (which the Guardian seems to be subtly implying) - the event was broadcast live and the article even mentions that on services like iplayer the original footage is there for up to a month unedited. I think removing parts such as Beatrice and Eugenie leaving etc are really just about keeping a solemn and dignified event and not drawing focus off that. I'm sure the caveat is included mainly to ensure, should any member of the RF become overly upset, fall etc the footage is not there forever to replay over and over.

In addition to bits that are left out, the footage of both the BBC and the Royal Family themselves (linked on first page of this thread) is now set to private. Is that not strange?

:previous: I see...thank you. It's a very minimalist but elegant area from what I have seen of it.

That's a good description. It's very stylish, one of my favourite parts of St. George's

There's a definite Mid-Century Modern vibe - the stained glass was designed by John Piper (who is better known for his work on Coventry Cathedral), and the gates to the chapel are a modernist interpretation of other chapel ironwork - and yet it all fits in beautifully.

Sadly, you can't see these lovely details in the recent pictures.

There's a definite Mid-Century Modern vibe - the stained glass was designed by John Piper (who is better known for his work on Coventry Cathedral)

Thank you for that! Piper, as you're probably already aware, was also commissioned by the then queen to complete a series of paintings of the castle at the start of ww2. This was because of the real fear that the castle might be destroyed by bombing.

Because his views of the castle always showed leaden skies Queen Elizabeth is reported to have said something along the lines of "poor Mr Piper always seems to have such bad weather when he's painting".:lol:

Back
Top Bottom