State Funeral of HM Queen Elizabeth II: 19 September 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
At the funeral of the Queen Mother, the Garter King of Arms read out Her list of titles and honours, including the Orders of the Garter, Thistle, Crown of India, Royal Victorian Order, Hospital of St John of Jerusalem, etc

At the Funeral of Queen Elizabeth II, he only included the Order of the Garter, in addition to Her Sovereign territories.

Does anyone has any insight into why this was so?

In addition to bits that are left out, the footage of both the BBC and the Royal Family themselves (linked on first page of this thread) is now set to private. Is that not strange?

Well tbf the guardian had another article which suggests that BP has now told broadcasters they won't be able to broadcast the funeral and surrounding events after a set time (a few weeks from now) so must create a 12 min compilation that they can use going forward. That is sad IMO and makes no sense given we all were able to watch it live.

At the funeral of the Queen Mother, the Garter King of Arms read out Her list of titles and honours, including the Orders of the Garter, Thistle, Crown of India, Royal Victorian Order, Hospital of St John of Jerusalem, etc

At the Funeral of Queen Elizabeth II, he only included the Order of the Garter, in addition to Her Sovereign territories.

I think it’s because the Queen mother was the consort so George VI gave her Royal Victorian order for services to the Sovereign and made an exception re order of Thistle. Obviously as the Queen was the sovereign, she couldn’t award herself honours etc.

The Queen Mother's full funeral, including the committal, was at WA so all honours were acknowledged but at St George's only the Garter as that is the chapel of the Order of the Garter.

Had The Queen's committal service been done at WA I suspect the entire list would have been read but as they divided the service into two only the Garter was acknowledged at St George's - just as only the Garter is shown on their slab with their names on it.

Well tbf the guardian had another article which suggests that BP has now told broadcasters they won't be able to broadcast the funeral and surrounding events after a set time (a few weeks from now) so must create a 12 min compilation that they can use going forward. That is sad IMO and makes no sense given we all were able to watch it live.

Is there a link to the article? I agree it is an unfair policy. Queen Elizabeth II was as much (or more) the head of the country as the head of her family, and the public mourning and funeral ceremonies were national events, not private family gatherings. During the mourning period, the royal family acknowledged its debt of gratitude to the members of the public who have mourned and paid tribute to the Queen, so it would seem strange to cut off the public now.

On a side note: I am not sure if this has already been mentioned, but with the mourning period coming to a close, the official website (royal.uk) seems to have decided to refer to the late Queen as "Queen Elizabeth". I'm not sure why the "II" has been left out, at least for now.

Is there a link to the article? I agree it is an unfair policy. Queen Elizabeth II was as much (or more) the head of the country as the head of her family, and the public mourning and funeral ceremonies were national events, not private family gatherings. During the mourning period, the royal family acknowledged its debt of gratitude to the members of the public who have mourned and paid tribute to the Queen, so it would seem strange to cut off the public now.

On a side note: I am not sure if this has already been mentioned, but with the mourning period coming to a close, the official website (royal.uk) seems to have decided to refer to the late Queen as "Queen Elizabeth". I'm not sure why the "II" has been left out, at least for now.

As I think I saw someone somewhere posit, it's because she's no longer "the incumbent". In addition, they don't want to mix her up with Camilla, added to my notion that the other Queens Elizabeth are less likely to get confused.

The Queen Mother's full funeral, including the committal, was at WA so all honours were acknowledged but at St George's only the Garter as that is the chapel of the Order of the Garter.

I don't think the site of the committal service changes the proclamation of the titles and styles. Prince Philip's funeral was also at St. George's Chapel and the Garter Principal King of Arms acknowledged all of his UK orders (Commonwealth orders were omitted. although they were on display on the High Altar, including the Order of Australia).

As I think I saw someone somewhere posit, it's because she's no longer "the incumbent". In addition, they don't want to mix her up with Camilla, added to my notion that the other Queens Elizabeth are less likely to get confused.

But won't "Queen Elizabeth" be more confusing than "Queen Elizabeth II"? Queen Elizabeth without the ordinal could also refer to her mother, or Elizabeth I.

But won't "Queen Elizabeth" be more confusing than "Queen Elizabeth II"? Queen Elizabeth without the ordinal could also refer to her mother, or Elizabeth I.

Like I've said, the one has been gone for twenty years and was known to virtually everyone in living memory as "the Queen Mother/Queen Mum", and the other one's been dead for more than 400 years. The Palace must think it's more modern than calling her "the late Queen". We'll see if the "II" comes back.

The Kontakion of the Departed was very moving at St George's chapel.

Perhaps they want confusion with her mother as Queenj Elizabeth could refer to both of them. :confused:I think they should refer to her as Queen Elizabeth II. the same as the refer to King George V. and George VI. with their numerals and don't let them off.

Last edited:
I don't know where to put this since there's no general thread for the late Queen (moderators, please move this post if it's misplaced).

The Royal Mail has issued 4 commemorative stamps featuring portraits of Queen Elizabeth II at different points of her reign.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-63031624

Had The Queen's committal service been done at WA I suspect the entire list would have been read but as they divided the service into two only the Garter was acknowledged at St George's - just as only the Garter is shown on their slab with their names on it.

I suppose that makes sense. It's a shame though - I was looking forward to the full list of titles, styles and honours of QEII as I found it very dramatic at The Queen Mother's funeral.

I found it strange that Emanuele Filiberto apparently got an Invitation as the Winsors and the Savois are not related. They same for the Habsburgs. The Prussian, Hannovers and many more are closer related

They are related through the Saxe-Coburg-Gotha line (Francis Duke of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld)

Francis - Leopold I - Philippe, Count of Flanders - Albert I - Marie-Jose - Vittorio Emanuele - Emanuele Filiberto

Francis - Ernest I - Albert, Prince Consort - Edward VII - George V - George VI - Elizabeth II

They are related through the Saxe-Coburg-Gotha line (Francis Duke of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld)

Francis - Leopold I - Philippe, Count of Flanders - Albert I - Marie-Jose - Vittorio Emanuele - Emanuele Filiberto

Francis - Ernest I - Albert, Prince Consort - Edward VII - George V - George VI - Elizabeth II
Yes they are definitely related through Marie-Jose who was from the Belgian royal house, but they are very distantly related and we’ve never heard much about relations between the Savoia’s and the British Royal Family.

Was any member of the Hannover family present at the funeral?

I attended Queen Elizabeth II funeral on 19th September 2022. Here’s my video of the build up including the procession, viewed from the mall

Did you notice that some monarchs attended the reception at Buckingham Palace prior to the funeral but not the funeral itself? For example the King of Bahrain, the Sultan of Oman and the Emirs of Qatar and Dubai. I thought that rather odd. Do you think it might have something to do with the seating plan? The Gulf monarchs not willing to arrive by bus and being seated behind European royal families…?

Was any member of the Hannover family present at the funeral?

Not that I recall and the only German royals on the Guest List were:

The Margravine of Baden
The Hereditary Prince and Hereditary Princess of Baden
The Landgrave and Landgravine of Hesse
The Prince and Princess of Hohenlohe-Langenburg
Princess Xenia of Hohenlohe-Langenburg

They have indeed. And it is 162 million for the funeral, lying in State etc. A very large sum indeed. And let’s not forget, the cost of the Coronation as well (in a ten month period) has yet to be disclosed.

As an Aussie, who only contributes to the RF through taxes when members of the Family tour here, it has nothing to do with me (though I was born and grew up in England.) The Queen was monarch for seventy years and imo deserved a splendid lying in State and funeral. .

However, one can imagine the reaction of the ordinary Briton, going to work today, struggling with bills, housing and other expenses, to the news of this extraordinary sum being expended on one individual being given a national send-off of gigantic proportions.

Some people will doubtless complain, but, as you say, the Queen deserved a good send off. And it's probably nothing compared to what gets wasted in red tape by central and local government.

Wow 162mln. I honestly wonder how could so much money be spent concretely. I think security must have been a huge expense, but even if I think of many expenses I wonder were all that money went.

Anyway, Elizabeth II truly deserved such State Funeral and I hope that the UK managed to recover that amount with TV rights and foreign tourism.

I’m sure they are including the salaries of all military personnel through the entire time. They would have been paid regardless, but inflates the number astronomically.

However, one can imagine the reaction of the ordinary Briton, going to work today, struggling with bills, housing and other expenses, to the news of this extraordinary sum being expended on one individual being given a national send-off of gigantic proportions.

Ordinary Britons were the ones who lined up for hours to see her of their own accord.

My own first reaction was "162 million doesn't seem like that much given multi-day expenses and the scale and detail everything was done on".

The Home Office not the Ministry of Defence spent the most. That points to policing and the entire cost of surveillance and security, which was obviously a gigantic operation. The lying in State in Westminster Hall (the floors were damaged there by the thousands of mourners’ feet) was probably an extra component in the expense.

Last edited:
Wow 162mln. I honestly wonder how could so much money be spent concretely. I think security must have been a huge expense, but even if I think of many expenses I wonder were all that money went.

Anyway, Elizabeth II truly deserved such State Funeral and I hope that the UK managed to recover that amount with TV rights and foreign tourism.

How many heads of state and government attended the funeral? I remember that more than 100 countries were represented. The soft power and international prestige that the UK gets with events like that is alone worth 162 million in my humble opinion.

Back
Top Bottom