Death of Queen Elizabeth II - Lying-in-State, Edinburgh and London

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JessRulz

Former Administrator
City
Melbourne
Country
Australia
UK_zps6c589394.png

Lying-in-State of HM Queen Elizabeth II

Service of Thanksgiving, followed by Lying-in-State
St Giles Cathedral, Edinburgh - September 12 and 13

Lying-in-State
Westminster Hall, London - September 14-19

Last edited:
A question formed in my head and I hope I do not cause too many rolling eyes by asking it: is it possible that the "Vigil of the Princes" is carried out by the four granddaughters instead of grandsons? To a) spare James this hard task and b) because the Queen was the matriarch?

A question formed in my head and I hope I do not cause too many rolling eyes by asking it: is it possible that the "Vigil of the Princes" is carried out by the four granddaughters instead of grandsons? To a) spare James this hard task and b) because the Queen was the matriarch?

It was first carried out by the four sons of George V. And then by grandsons of Queen Mum. I understand it will be her children...with Anne. Could well be any combination of grandchildren as well. Although on evidence that they aren't involving James...not him. The Grand daughters may be a better option if it happened.

My understanding, as Prince Andrew said, is that the family had their own day alone with the late Queen and then surrendered her to the Nation for the public mourning. It was agreed that only the Princess Royal would accompany the Queen's hearse to Edinburgh.

I agree that the family will gather again for the public ceremonies in London, but there is no reason in principle to stay in Scotland today.

Didnt someone say they are in Edinburgh. All but Peter. And Anne obviously. If they were on way back to London they would have flew from Aberdeen.

Last edited by a moderator:

I think the idea is for the Queen’s four children to carry it out.

I think the idea is for the Queen’s four children to carry it out.
Thats what I thought too, but I heard of one Vigil at Edinburgh (grandchildren) and one in London (children).

As regards the vigil. I would be surprised (unless it has actually been confirmed) that the new King would be one of those doing so. I agree it would be a nice gesture but I think he would be far too busy to be doing so. It would make better sense to have a rotating group doing this which includes grandsons and granddaughters.

I hope the (grand)daughters get an opportunity too.

The UK government website has released a guidance on how the public could attend Her Majesty The Queen’s Lying-in-State at Westminster Hall, which will be taken between Wednesday 14 September and Monday 19 September. The public will be allowed to walk past The Queen's coffin to pay respect. There will be a ceremonial procession before the Lying-in-State from Buckingham Place to Westminster Hall.

Details published for how public can attend Her Majesty The Queen’s Lying-in-State at Westminster Hall
Guidance has been issued for how public can attend Her Majesty The Queen’s Lying-in-State at Westminster Hall
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/...the-queens-lying-in-state-at-westminster-hall

The UK government website has released a guidance on how the public could attend Her Majesty The Queen’s Lying-in-State at Westminster Hall, which will be taken between Wednesday 14 September and Monday 19 September. The public will be allowed to walk past The Queen's coffin to pay respect. There will be a ceremonial procession before the Lying-in-State from Buckingham Place to Westminster Hall.

Details published for how public can attend Her Majesty The Queen’s Lying-in-State at Westminster Hall
Guidance has been issued for how public can attend Her Majesty The Queen’s Lying-in-State at Westminster Hall
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/...the-queens-lying-in-state-at-westminster-hall

I just heard on the BBC that they are expecting TWO MILLION PEOPLE A DAY to file past the coffin. Amazing. That will be something to see! No lingering or stopping, and moving at a pretty good clip.

As regards the vigil. I would be surprised (unless it has actually been confirmed) that the new King would be one of those doing so. I agree it would be a nice gesture but I think he would be far too busy to be doing so. It would make better sense to have a rotating group doing this which includes grandsons and granddaughters.

Edward VIII was one of the "Princes" who stood vigil for his father George V. The King will be there. I also like the idea of multiple vigils. We already know there will be one at St. Giles tomorrow and likely one at Westminster Hall, so those standing vigil may be different persons in each place.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sky News reported in the past hour that the Crown of Scotland is going to be placed on the coffin for the Service of Remembrance at St. Giles Cathedral later today.

Rumors are that, apparently, William & Harry will be in Scotland today also (not sure if Kate & Meghan will also be there).

Sky News reported in the past hour that the Crown of Scotland is going to be placed on the coffin for the Service of Remembrance at St. Giles Cathedral later today.

Rumors are that, apparently, William & Harry will be in Scotland today also (not sure if Kate & Meghan will also be there).

I hope that's true, it would be lovely. I honestly hope that William and Harry do go to this together. I imagine the Princess of Wales really needs to focus on her kids right now and would be completely ok with not making the trip.

I just heard on the BBC that they are expecting TWO MILLION PEOPLE A DAY to file past the coffin. Amazing. That will be something to see! No lingering or stopping, and moving at a pretty good clip.

Maybe if they use royal train (instead of flight), the queue would be shorter since some of those people can say their farewell or pay their respect along the way instead of coming down to London (just like people in Scotland now).

I mean, with the upcoming foreign leaders and all that security nightmare around it, surely the Met would appreciate if there's less people in London to manage.

I hope that's true, it would be lovely. I honestly hope that William and Harry do go to this together. I imagine the Princess of Wales really needs to focus on her kids right now and would be completely ok with not making the trip.

Are the children attending school this week, or not until the funeral is over?

I don't know who that was that was shouting at the cortege as it walked past, but they got yanked to the ground incredibly quickly by I assume, police.

I don't know who that was that was shouting at the cortege as it walked past, but they got yanked to the ground incredibly quickly by I assume, police.

Do u mean the person shouting God save the Queen?

Do u mean the person shouting God save the Queen?

No, I meant a man shouting something clearly offensive at the cortege as it went past him. I say it was offensive because someone behind him grabbed him by the hair (so it appeared) and literally yanked him backward to the ground. I don't think someone shouting "God Save the Queen" would warrant that. Besides, that person was a woman. The individual I'm referring to was a man.

There have been various protests. Was it this?From Channel 9 (Australia)

Just before the proclamation was read Sunday in Edinburgh, a protester appeared with a sign condemning imperialism and urging leaders to "abolish the monarchy".

She was taken away soon afterward by police.

Reaction to the protest was mixed.

One man shouted, "Let her go! It's free speech!" while others shouted "have some respect!"

Still, there was also some booing in Edinburgh when Joseph Morrow, Lord Lyon King of Arms, finished his proclamation with the words "God save the king!"

And this.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/roya...use-protester-monarchy-Duke-of-York-latest-vn

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...s-queens-cortege-and-proclamation-of-new-king

Last edited:
There have been various protests. Was it this?From Channel 9 (Australia)

Just before the proclamation was read Sunday in Edinburgh, a protester appeared with a sign condemning imperialism and urging leaders to "abolish the monarchy".

She was taken away soon afterward by police.

Reaction to the protest was mixed.

One man shouted, "Let her go! It's free speech!" while others shouted "have some respect!"

Still, there was also some booing in Edinburgh when Joseph Morrow, Lord Lyon King of Arms, finished his proclamation with the words "God save the king!"

Well if the person holding the sign was being peaceful the police had no business getting involved.

Are the children attending school this week, or not until the funeral is over?

As far as I know, it hasn’t been publicly reported. Two full weeks out of school would be difficult to make up- I bet they’re going except on the day of the funeral and maybe the day after.

I would think that they’ll be at school. Missing two weeks at the start of the academic year would be hard to make up, and it’s not as if there’s anything for them to do at home.

None of the grandchildren are at the service in Edinburgh, as far as I can see.

Yes, there was some shouting during the cortege, which I couldn't understand, but it didn't sound very friendly. However, at the end of that confused moment, there were also some people shouting "god save the king". I guess that was an answer to the protesters (if they were protesters).

I would think that they’ll be at school. Missing two weeks at the start of the academic year would be hard to make up, and it’s not as if there’s anything for them to do at home.

None of the grandchildren are at the service in Edinburgh, as far as I can see.

No. Someone said they saw the girls in Edinburgh yesterday but unless they are waiting to head home with her tomorrow, I would imagine they all headed back to where they live yesterday.

No, I meant a man shouting something clearly offensive at the cortege as it went past him. I say it was offensive because someone behind him grabbed him by the hair (so it appeared) and literally yanked him backward to the ground. I don't think someone shouting "God Save the Queen" would warrant that. Besides, that person was a woman. The individual I'm referring to was a man.

Well, here you have it.

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/uk-62...1f4abab93e504e258c7aba&pinned_post_type=share

Shouting, "You're a sick old man!" at Andrew while he's walking behind his mother's coffin is neither the time nor the place for airing your opinion of the man.

I couldn't see today's ceremonies live, so I missed the commentary by the experts. Could anyone please kindly explain what the roles of the Duke of Hamilton and the Duke of Buccleuch are and why they were in attendance today?

Last edited:
Can someone please tell me what feathers the honor guard have in their caps? are they pheasant?

Back
Top Bottom