Tiara and Jewels guessing for upcoming events 2: 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hasn't it been said that the floral tiara is a loan to Marie, because of the Alexandrine tiara leaving the family after Joachim and Alexandra's divorce? I think it's a lifetime loan that will be returned to the main line after Marie's death or a divorce from Joachim. So eventually F&M and their descendants will have that tiara as well.

Nikolai, Felix, and Athena will have very few tiara events as they grow older. I could see Nikolai and Felix's wives and Athena being loaned a tiara when the need arises, but I doubt they'll receive anything from the current collection on a permanent basis.

Yes it is a loan because of Alexandra's divorce, but I can still see Daisy leaving it to Joachim when she passes. That way, Nikolai & Felix's wives can use Alexandra's tiara for their weddings, while Henrik's wife can use the Dagmar tiara for her wedding (And Athena will likely wear the Khedive if that tradition continues). Even if Daisy leaves it to Fred, I wouldn't be surprised to see him give it to Joachim. That doesn't mean that when Joachim dies it can't end up back with the main line.

And I wouldn't be surprised to see the Alexandrine Drop tiara come back to the main line at some time.

Interesting will also be what will hapen to Margrethe's other private owned Jewellry like the sapphire demi Parure who also comes from Queen Alexandrine. As for the Naasut tiara i think it will stay with the main line as it was a gift to her for her 40th Juilee and therfore to her as Queen.

Yes it is a loan because of Alexandra's divorce, but I can still see Daisy leaving it to Joachim when she passes. That way, Nikolai & Felix's wives can use Alexandra's tiara for their weddings, while Henrik's wife can use the Dagmar tiara for her wedding (And Athena will likely wear the Khedive if that tradition continues). Even if Daisy leaves it to Fred, I wouldn't be surprised to see him give it to Joachim. That doesn't mean that when Joachim dies it can't end up back with the main line.

And I wouldn't be surprised to see the Alexandrine Drop tiara come back to the main line at some time.

I knew I was forgetting someone, little Henrik!

Even if Nikolai and Felix's wives use the Alexandrine, and Henrik's uses the Floral on their wedding days, it doesn't mean that they need to be given to them permanently. Tiara collections diminish quickly when they fall out of the main line, because major jewels aren't generally given as wedding gifts anymore. Just look at what happened to the Belgian collection.

In the decades to come, there will (presumably) be four new tiara wearers in the main line of the Danish family - Isabella, Josephine, Christian's wife, and Vincent's wife. When you don't get a truckload of new gems on your wedding day anymore, that's a lot of demand for a limited supply. I doubt we'll see any more Danish tiaras leave the main line. They'll probably only be loaned out as needed.

I agree, though, I think we'll see the Alexandrine back with the main collection one day.

Lifetime loan would be the best solution indeed or atleast give the tiara to Joachim and not to Marie so it will stay with the Royal family in case of a divorce.

I think the example with Princess Alexandra and the Alexandrine Diamond Drop Tiara is one of the reasons why the swedish Royal couple opted to give Princess Sofia a new tiara (or at least new to the royal family).

Princess Isabella, Princess Josephine and Princess Athena will likely wear the Khedive Tiara on their Wedding day (if they marry).

For the Dutch State Visit (state banquet and the Belgian concert), the next royals are confirmed to attend:
- The King and Queen of the Netherlands
- The King and Queen of the Belgians
- Princess Beatrix
- Prince Constantijn and Princess Laurentien
- Princess Margriet and Mr. Van Vollenhoven.

So we will see tha amazing amount of five (I repeat, five) tiaras for the banquet on Monday evening!

On monday's banquet I'd love to see:
• Queen Máxima in Stuart Tiara or Antique Pearl Tiara
• Princess Beatrix in Mellerio Sapphire Tiara (not full setting)
• Princess Laurentien in Ears of Wheat Tiara or Dutch Aquamarine Tiara
• Princess Margriet in Ruby Peacock Tiara

And Queen Mathilde in Nine Provinces Tiara or Spanish Gift Tiara.

For the Dutch State Visit (state banquet and the Belgian concert), the next royals are confirmed to attend:
- The King and Queen of the Netherlands
- The King and Queen of the Belgians
- Princess Beatrix
- Prince Constantijn and Princess Laurentien
- Princess Margriet and Mr. Van Vollenhoven.

So we will see tha amazing amount of five (I repeat, five) tiaras for the banquet on Monday evening!

this is great! Hopefully we'll get good photos of everyone.

i just want big guns from everyone! Show off the jewels please!

On monday's banquet I'd love to see:
• Queen Máxima in Stuart Tiara or Antique Pearl Tiara
• Princess Beatrix in Mellerio Sapphire Tiara (not full setting)
• Princess Laurentien in Ears of Wheat Tiara or Dutch Aquamarine Tiara
• Princess Margriet in Ruby Peacock Tiara

And Queen Mathilde in Nine Provinces Tiara or Spanish Gift Tiara.

Great as it would be to see Max in the Stuart tiara, I don't think its debut will be at a state banquet for Belgium. Instead, we may see one of the ruby tiara's, the bigger pearl tiara (that Beatrix wore at her wedding) pr perhaps the antique pearl tiara.

I suspect MAthilde will be in the full version of the Belgian N-P tiara, or if we are really lucky, the Spanish gift tiara

Great as it would be to see Max in the Stuart tiara, I don't think its debut will be at a state banquet for Belgium. Instead, we may see one of the ruby tiara's, the bigger pearl tiara (that Beatrix wore at her wedding) pr perhaps the antique pearl tiara.

I suspect the only occasion when Queen Máxima would consider wearing the Stuart tiara parure would be a state visit to/from the United Kingdom.

I suspect MAthilde will be in the full version of the Belgian N-P tiara, or if we are really lucky, the Spanish gift tiara

We don't know if Mathilde has the Spanish gift tiara at her disposal and, even if she does, she may want to save it for the upcoming state visit to Denmark (given that she already wore the Nine Provinces before at Queen Margrethe's 75th birthday gala dinner).

For the state banquet in the Netherlands, Mathilde could wear the full version of the Nine Provinces with the Wolfers tiara as a necklace and Queen Fabiola's waterfall diamond brooch, which would make a quite sparkling combination. If she chooses to debut the Spanish gift tiara, she will probably wear it with Queen Fabiola's aquamarines.

Then gthr Queen will wear all what she has..
Nine Provnce full version, yes , Wolfers tiara as necklace yes but no waterfall brooch !

My prediction:

HM Queen Máxima, Princess of the Netherlands
- the full Mellerio Parure (diadem, collier, earrings, devant-de-corage, brooches, bracelets, etc.) (like this)

HM Queen Mathilde of the Belgians
- the Diadem of the Nine Provinces, the Wolfers collier, the Waterfall brooch, a diamond bracelet (like this)

HRH Princess Beatrix of the Netherlands
- Queen Emma's floral motif diamond diadem, a diamond rivière, some other diamond bijoux (like this)

HRH Princess Laurentien of the Netherlands
- the Laurel Wreath Diadem, some other diamond bijoux (like this)

HRH Princess Margriet of the Netherlands
- the Ears of Wheat Diadem, some other diamond bijoux (like this)

Queen Fabiola refused all the Orders and never wore a Sash. She said this was for the King. she wore the waterfall brooch only once and not with a tiara.
Now the Consorts (Maxima , Mathilde and Mary ) are ambitious Ladies.

Queen Paola wore for the first time in Belgium Sashes for foreign Orders and never the Sash of the Leopold Order.

First Official Picture Queen Matilde wore the Leopold Order Sash and the bandeau Queen Paola never wore as tiara.
I wonder if the Queen of the Netherlands has the Leopold Order. I saw a picture of her when she was Princess and she wore our second Order the Crown Order.

Queen Fabiola refused all the Orders and never wore a Sash. She said this was for the King. she wore the waterfall brooch only once and not with a tiara.
Now the Consorts (Maxima , Mathilde and Mary ) are ambitious Ladies.

Queen Paola wore for the first time in Belgium Sashes for foreign Orders and never the Sash of the Leopold Order.

First Official Picture Queen Matilde wore the Leopold Order Sash and the bandeau Queen Paola never wore as tiara.
I wonder if the Queen of the Netherlands has the Leopold Order. I saw a picture of her when she was Princess and she wore our second Order the Crown Order.

Both the King and Queen of the Netherlands have the Order of the Crown from Belgium (burgundy sash). I'm quite sure King Phillip will upgrade at least King Willem-Alexander to the Leopolds order (Queen Beatrix had it too), and I suspect he will give Queen Máxima the Leopold as well.

King Phillip and Queen Mathilde both have the Second Order of the Netherlands as well, they both have Grand Cross in the Order of Orange Nassau. King Albert and Queen Paola both recieved the Grand Cross in the Order of the Dutch Lion (the highest Order), so I suspect Phillip and Mathilde will both receive it as well.

Queen Beatrix already has the Leopold, she will surely wear it on Monday. Princess Margriet has the Order of the Crown, as does Mr. van Vollenhoven (according to Wikipedia he has the Leopold but I do not believe that). They won't be upgraded, IMO. Prince Constantijn also has the Order of the Crown since 2006. Princess Laurentien has no Belgian order but I think she will receive the Order of the Crown too.

According to protocol, the visiting country must hand out twice as many orders as they receive, so if king Willem-Alexander upgrades both Phillip and Mathilde, they must hand out four orders themselves. I'm curious to see what will happen in Order-land on Monday.

Both the King and Queen of the Netherlands have the Order of the Crown from Belgium (burgundy sash). I'm quite sure King Phillip will upgrade at least King Willem-Alexander to the Leopolds order (Queen Beatrix had it too), and I suspect he will give Queen Máxima the Leopold as well.

King Phillip and Queen Mathilde both have the Second Order of the Netherlands as well, they both have Grand Cross in the Order of Orange Nassau. King Albert and Queen Paola both recieved the Grand Cross in the Order of the Dutch Lion (the highest Order), so I suspect Phillip and Mathilde will both receive it as well.

Queen Beatrix already has the Leopold, she will surely wear it on Monday. Princess Margriet has the Order of the Crown, as does Mr. van Vollenhoven (according to Wikipedia he has the Leopold but I do not believe that). They won't be upgraded, IMO. Prince Constantijn also has the Order of the Crown since 2006. Princess Laurentien has no Belgian order but I think she will receive the Order of the Crown too.

According to protocol, the visiting country must hand out twice as many orders as they receive, so if king Willem-Alexander upgrades both Phillip and Mathilde, they must hand out four orders themselves. I'm curious to see what will happen in Order-land on Monday.

I'm pretty sure Queen Máxima will get the Order of Leopold on Monday as other foreign Queen-Consorts like Queen Sofia, Queen Silvia and Queen Sonja also have it.
Have just seen a pic from the 2000 belgian State Visit to the Netherlands and Pricness margreite whore then no order at the State Banquet. But perhaps she preferred it like this because she wore a red gown and it would have clashed with her gown.

Last edited:
EmmaNL , congratulations for your knowledge about our Sashes and their Protocol.

So they will receive their Orders in the morning and wear them for the first time in the Evening. (Except Princess Beatrix)

So they will receive their Orders in the morning and wear them for the first time in the Evening. (Except Princess Beatrix)

Yes that is was is usually done at State Visits. If the State Banquet is white tie the Orders will then be worn for the first time.

EmmaNL , congratulations for your knowledge about our Sashes and their Protocol.

Yes, that is to be expected. Prince Constantijn (since 2006), princess Margriet and Mr. Van Vollenhoven all three have the Order of the Crown already, so they won't be wearing their order for the first time. :flowers:
If King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima receive the Leopold, and if princess Laurentien will receive the Order of the Crown, they will wear their order for the first time on Monday evening.

The protocol/tradition on Orders was very visible when King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima went to Japan for a state visit. This was the list of Japanese Orders that were given to the Dutch Delegation. When you use Google Translator, you see that besides the King and Queen, the Foreign Minister, the Minister of Economics, the Lady in Waiting of the Queen and nine other Dutch members of the delegation received a Japanese Order (24th of November 2014). So, in return, King Willem-Alexander had to pick 28 Japanese Royals and officials to give orders too (only three of those 28 were Royals, since the Emperor, the Empress and the Crown Prince already had an order). Actually, the First Lady in Waiting for the Empress has an Dutch order now, along with a few other members of the Court (see full list here). :D

Now, back to the jewels: please no rubies voor Queen Máxima. They are her current favourites and she has worn them quite a few times already recently, so no need to see them again. ;)

[...]
According to protocol, the visiting country must hand out twice as many orders as they receive [...]

I doubt this "rule" exists at all. The exchange of decorations is a result of diplomatic preparation and happens as much as possible in "reciprocity" (on equal terms). That is theory. In practice we see that the Queen of the UK simply refuses to decorate female consorts. Queen Beatrix ignored that reciprocity and decorated the previous Princess of Wales with her only foreign Order.

Reciprocity also means that the highest Orders are exchanged between heads of state. King Willem-Alexander however, by surprise, decided to create the Crown Prince and -Princess of Denmark Ridder respectively Dame Grootkruis in de Orde van de Nederlandsche Leeuw, the highest civil decoration.

When the King and Queen of Spain made their one-day "introduction visit" to King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima, by surprise (as such an exchange was not at all on the program) the King created Doña Letizia a Dame Grootkruis in de Kroonorde (Huisorde van Oranje).

The named examples show me that the only general rule is that Orders are part of negotiation ("The ambassador, the Prime Minister, eehmmm, the Lord Justice of the International Court of Justice, eeeermmmm.... oh yes, the Major Domus of the Royal Palace, the Mayor of Amsterdam, etc.) and of course this on base of reciprocity. But for the rest there is pretty much freedom for the King, as long as the Royal Decrees are countersigned by a minister.

Last edited:
I doubt this "rule" exists at all. The exchange of decorations is a result of diplomatic preparation and happens as much as possible in "reciprocity" (on equal terms). That is theory. In practice we see that the Queen of the UK simply refuses go decorate female consorts. Queen Beatrix ignored that reciprocity and decorated the previous Princess of Wales with her only foreign Order.

Reciprocity also means that the highest Orders are exchanged between heads of state. King Willem-Alexander however, by surprise, decided to create the Crown Prince and -Princess of Denmark Knight respectively Ridder respectively Dame Grootkruis in de Orde van de Nederlandsche Leeuw, the highest civil decoration.

When the King and Queen of Spain made their one-day "introduction visit" to King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima, by surprise (as such an exchange was not at all on the program) created Doña Letizia a Dame Grootkruis in de Kroonorde (Huisorde van Oranje).

The named examples show me that the only general rule is that Orders are part of negotioation ("The ambassador, the Prime Minister, eehmmm, the Lord Justice of the International Court of Justice, eeeermmmm.... oh yes, the Major Domus of the Royal Palace, the Mayor of Amsterdam, etc.) and of course this on base of reprocity. But for the rest there is pretty much freedom for the King, as long as the Royal Decrees are countersigned by a minister.

I have actually heard the same, and that "rule" or guideline says 2 to 3 times as many as the hosting state. This was at least the case when King Carl Gustaf paid a state visit to Finland last time, in 2015.

But of course this, is just a praxis, and the sovereign could do as he or she pleases and award as many or few orders he och she wishes.

Belgian state visit:

Mathilde: Full version of the Nine Provinces
Maxima: Mellerio sapphire tiara
Beatrix: Mellerio Ruby tiara

As for Harald's 80th birthday, I am hoping Mette Marit will wear Maud's diamond tiara, or the Vasa tiara. As for Martha, I would love to see her wear her wedding tiara. Somehow I doubt Sonja will wear something new. My wish is to see Silvia in the Braganza tiara, but my guess is that she will wear the sapphire tiara. Nevertheless, I hope the event will be a tiara event.

Belgian state visit:

[....]

The impressive sapphire diadem was wrongly attributed to Mellerio dits Meller, Paris. The diadem, worn at the Investiture in 2013, was made in 1880 by Maison van der Stichel, Bijoutier & Jouallier at the Keizersgracht 705 (Emperor's Canal) in Amsterdam.

Last edited:
Years ago Queens Sonja and Sylvia were young actractive Consort Queens who had no Predecessors and managed so well by their own and wore their important tiaras perfectly.
Never discussions about their tiaras , hairdo , dresses.

Belgian state visit:

As for Harald's 80th birthday, I am hoping Mette Marit will wear Maud's diamond tiara, or the Vasa tiara. As for Martha, I would love to see her wear her wedding tiara. Somehow I doubt Sonja will wear something new. My wish is to see Silvia in the Braganza tiara, but my guess is that she will wear the sapphire tiara. Nevertheless, I hope the event will be a tiara event.

I do hope our Queen Máxima will surprise us with a piece long out of sight...and almost equally long longed for by the members and lurkers of various Fora & Boards!!The Diademe of diademes,with the Holland Diamond..oh wish..The vault has been opened..Serious jewelry at its very best.

Last edited:
I can imagine Máxima doing so when María Teresa packs out with the Russian Diadem, or Elizabeth II wearing her best diamonds, or Silvia wearing her Braganza Diadem but I am not sure it would be ladylike to blast Queen Mathilde away.

I think Máxima will surprise us with long not seen pieces, like Queen Emma's diamond Art Déco corsage, or the impresive collier with the rectangular thickstone diamonds, or the large waterfall corsage de devant of the Mellerio Ruby Parure, or the diamond bow corsage in full setting with all dangling drop diamonds, or the Württemberg Diadem in full setting with all 11 upright prongs, etc.... but the diadem with the Stuart Diamond? I bet my money on visits to/from Luxembourg, Stockholm or London to see that...

Last edited:
I can imagine Máxima doing so when María Teresa packs out with the Russian Diadem, or Elizabeth II wearing her best diamonds, or Silvia wearing her Braganza Diadem but I am not sure it would be ladylike to blast Queen Mathilde away.

On the other hand Grand Duchess Maria Teresa wore the big Empire tiara at the State Visit to Belgium and Queen Paola could "only" use the tiara of the 9 Proviinces. The same at the belgian State Visit to Sweden. Queen Silvia wore the Braganca tiara and Queen Paola the tiara of the 9 Provinces.

Last edited:
That is true but I feel we will see this one during a most glittering State Visit to or from the UK/Sweden/Luxembourg.

In Denmark the Queen wore Queen Emma's Diadem in full and amazinh sparkling setting. In Japan the Queen opted for the big Württemberger, the official visits from Sweden and Monaco saw the Bandeau of old rose-cut diamonds respectively the Emerald Diadem. So she indeed seems to play a bit. It will be a glittering event anyway. I hope we will also see Hofdames with diadems, like the previous Grandmastress did.

My Guess for the Belgium-Dutch State Visit

Maxima- Mellerio Sapphire Tiara or Wurttemberg Pearl Tiara

Mathilde- Complete 9 Province Tiara

Beatrix- Queen Emma Diamond Tiara- or Diamond Bandeau

Laurentien- Aquamarine Tiara- or Queen Emma Diamond Tiara

Magriet- Sapphire Necklace Tiara or Maximas Weeding tiara with pearls

My Dream: Maxima with the Stuart Tiara---Mathilde with Fabiolas Tiara

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom