King Charles III Diagnosed With Cancer

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Shocking news. I wish the King a very swift recovery!

I think the official announcement did state, in an roundabout manner, that the cancer was caught early: It states that medical "swift intervention" was possible thanks to his recent hospital procedure for benign prostate enlargement, and it also states that the cancer was detected during the hospital procedure - so, the swift medical intervention was possible due to the timing of the detection, implying it was early on.

https://www.royal.uk/a-statement-from-buckingham-palace-5Feb24

Rishi Sunak, whom I assume knows a lot more than the general public do, said this morning that he was "thankful that the cancer was caught early". So that sounds positive.

The King's cancer was "caught early", Rishi Sunak has said.

The prime minister said he was left "shocked and sad" when he was told about the King's cancer diagnosis.

"All our thoughts are with him and his family," he told BBC Radio 5 Live. "Thankfully, this has been caught early."

Mr Sunak said the running of the country will continue as normal and he was in "regular contact with the King".

https://news.sky.com/story/king-cha...d-engagements-after-cancer-diagnosis-13065019

Last edited:
Initial shock,ofcourse.Wishing HM well and a speedy recovery!!
There is so much possible in forms of treatment,and HM was
early in the process,he will get on,he´ll manage I am sure!
They both will,as HM the Queen is a firm,loving and wonderfull partner

Cancer is no longer a death warrant per se.

Last edited:
There’s already been a real outpouring of support and affection from across the spectrum - from the general public to artists, celebrities and heads of state. Something he will undoubtedly find strength from as he progresses with his treatment and recovery.
Like several posters have said here, this will be a very testing time for the Prince of Wales and I really hope there is a significant recognition of this. Taking this one step further, I would hope it will bring the two brothers closer together.

Wishing HM a quick and speedy recovery! Cancer is indeed no longer an automatic sentence, especially if caught early. Or even later, as we in my family know very well. I hope things will get on track soon enough. If it was caught almost by chance, in relation to another problem, it was likely in a very early stage indeed.

From the Press Office of the Irish President :

The President is very sorry and concerned to hear today's statement regarding King Charles' medical diagnosis. The President has sent his best wishes on behalf of the people of Ireland to the King for his treatment and full recovery, as well as to Queen Camilla and his family

Initial shock,ofcourse.Wishing HM well and a speedy recovery!!
There is so much possible in forms of treatment,and HM was
early in the process,he will get on,he´ll manage I am sure!
They both will,as HM the Queen is a firm,loving and wonderfull partner

Cancer is no longer a death warrant per se.

You don't know if HM was early in the process. They discovered at his operation.
I am a twice brest cancer survival. the tumor was operated immediately

Last edited:
Prime Minister Rishi Sunak spoke with the BBC regarding King Charles. I think a good amount of this has been posted but this is an article regarding what the PM's told BBC Radio 5 Live.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-68213383

The King in 'regular contact' with No 10 after cancer news - Rishi Sunak

[...]
It is understood the King's weekly audiences with Mr Sunak will continue in person, unless doctors advise he limits such contact.

The Palace has stressed the King will continue with his constitutional role as head of state, including completing paperwork and holding private meetings.

[...]

It is unclear whether official visits to Canada, Australia, New Zealand and Samoa scheduled for later this year will go ahead.​

Last edited:
There were a load of reporters outside Buckingham Palace last night, not that there was anything to see, and now there are a load of reporters at Heathrow, waiting for Harry to arrive. It's difficult enough to cope with illness, without the media following every move that you and your relatives make. But it's good to hear the good wishes coming in from around the world.

I wish King Charles a full recovery.

Being caught early is actually good. My father survived because they found it early even though he had no symptoms yet (it was by chance). Its been 10 years and he is still with us, healthy. While my aunt died because she started to have symptoms and when they made exams, the doctors realized that cancer had spread throughout her body. That's why I always got the impression that people don't survive when they find it too late, while its treatable in its early stages, which seems to be the case with King Charles as it was with my father.

Glancing over what some of the British press are writing, you'd be forgiven for thinking King Charles will be announced dead any minute.
- I find it in exceptionally poor taste.

Well, he won't have to wonder how the press will cover it when his time does actually come. :ermm:

Journalist has become synonymous with ghoul.

Glancing over what some of the British press are writing, you'd be forgiven for thinking King Charles will be announced dead any minute.

Well, he won't have to wonder how the press will cover it when his time does actually come. :ermm:

Its absolutely crazy, tv and radio too. I am avoiding as much as possible. I thought lessons were learnt from coverage of DoE and QE2. Its just too much and unnecessary.

Perhaps he’ll have the apocryphal Nobel-moment out of all this and be able to make some further-adjusted good when he does recover.

Statement by Crown Prince Alexander of Serbia following the news about the health of King Charles III.
Following the worrying news about the health of His Majesty King Charles III of the United Kingdom and the other Commonwealth realms, HRH Crown Prince Alexander issues the following statement:

“Deeply concerned by the condition which most unfortunately, affected my dear cousin and friend, HM King Charles III, and moved by his courage, despite the disease, sharing his personal health condition with his people, I am sending the following message of support, but also of understanding, and compassion. The love of all of us who know him, and of his people, we deeply care for him, will support His Majesty in persevering and winning this most important battle. The news that it is early stage gives high hope.

The unfortunate news about cancer is not something you wish to hear. And I can say it personally, as I very well know how you feel once you hear it. How frightening and terrifying it is also for the family, how all the feelings get mixed up, and how you cannot think about anything else. I can say it now because I only recently defeated cancer. I had avoided speaking about it, as it is a personal matter concerning only me and my family, but King Charles’ openness moved me and encouraged me to also speak up.

I am sharing this now, because this kind of tragic news can encourage people to react and take care of their health. The statistics already show that once heard about the previous condition His Majesty had with the prostate, the number of check-ups in the United Kingdom has highly risen. That is why people should hear my story, to see it is something that can happen to all of us. But when we are responsible, the outcome can be good.

In December last year, I found out that I have early-stage prostate cancer. The year before, I was on my regular check-up, the doctors performed an MRI exam and saw something suspicious. They did a biopsy, and everything was ok at that time. A year later, although I did not have any problems, an MRI scan again showed worrying images, but this time the biopsy results showed the word we are all afraid of. At that moment, I was terrified. But I was not alone. I am not speaking about family and friends who knew this and shared their support, which meant so much and cannot be described in words, but also all the other people who are fighting this disease. After that, I listened to the doctor’s orders strictly, did all the necessary pre-intervention tests, had surgery, did all the mandatory check-ups after the operation, and finally, got the most joyous words from my doctor – “All is clear now”.

I am strictly planning to continue regular doctor controls in the future, I appeal to everyone to follow this example and do the same. Be responsible with yourself, listen to the doctor’s advice, and monitor your health, preserve it, and nurture it as the greatest wealth and gift you will ever receive. And to conclude, I am hoping with all my heart His Majesty the King, my dear friend and cousin, will also be triumphant.”
https://royalfamily.org/crown-princ...following-the-news-about-king-charles-health/

My goodness, it's certainly been a rough start to the year for the RF. But, while a cancer diagnosis is never a good thing, it does appear that they've likely caught it early since it was not discovered based on symptoms but simply in the course of medical care. That, if we're finding a silver lining, is a very good thing. My best wishes to both the King and his family as they navigate what will certainly be a stressful, complicated, and emotional time, even under the very best of circumstances.

Yes, and the many articles I'm seeing saying let's have a look at the line of succession and see who's next.

I wonder what measures they will take, if any, for Camilla and for family members and the prime minister visiting. If the main reason the king cannot be about in about is for him not to catch any virus, I assume those getting close to him need to be extra careful as well or not get to close...

I wonder if they've gone to Sandringham so that Charles can have some proper countryside to roam about in. He's a restless soul and being stuck in Clarence House would, I imagine, drive him bananas.

I wonder what measures they will take, if any, for Camilla and for family members and the prime minister visiting. If the main reason the king cannot be about in about is for him not to catch any virus, I assume those getting close to him need to be extra careful as well or not get to close...

IMO it is not so much virus infection etc but more that the treatment can be quite debilitating and possibly want to keep it private.

If Councillors of State are required, working members of the rf will be used. Any regent would of course be the Prince of Wales.

It is also likely that the Regency Act will be amended at some point (possibly sooner rather than later considering present health scares) to include working members of the rf only by order of succession. This would have the advantage of excluding those private individuals who happen to be related to a monarch but who lead private lives.

Last edited:
This is of course also covered in the Danish press and the thing that is noticed here is that the reports from the British court appear more open and informative in regards to King Charles health and treatment than seen previously.
I.e. first the openness about his prostate treatment, which many especially men - who knows what that entails(!) - would consider a pretty intimate thing.
And then the announcement regarding his cancer - albeit not going into particular details. Yet.

Any thoughts?

Yes, he was very open about the prostate issues. As to the latest diagnosis, I think they had to say something. The fact that he's not staying in London suggests that he's having treatment every week or every three weeks, rather than every day, so he's likely to be out of action for several months. Better to explain than just to say "the King is ill" and have everyone speculating.

The King's cancer was "caught early", Rishi Sunak has said.
The sooner it is discovered, the greater the chances of a cure. I'm hope for it!

Back
Top Bottom