Charles III: Accession to the Throne: 8 September, 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, I agree with you, that the mention of Harry and Meghan in that speech seemed more like "the doors are closed for good now" than "you're welcome to come back into the fold", which was interesting. Probably done just to not give media another thing to speculate about.

The whole speech was pure genius. Whoever wrote it, amazing job. I loved announcing the Prince of Wales title immediately and mentioning it at such an important moment. The cause seems quite close to The Prince's Trust, which might mean it will go to William and Catherine. Who, imho, would be a great fit for the organization.

I have read many times that Charles writes all his own speeches but I am not sure if that is actually the case or whether it is more a matter of 'I want to say this, this and this' and someone then writes and it and he has the final say.

I have read many times that Charles writes all his own speeches but I am not sure if that is actually the case or whether it is more a matter of 'I want to say this, this and this' and someone then writes and it and he has the final say.

I wouldn’t suggest a King write his own speech’s. I’m sure he has input.

I am pretty sure there was at least a draft readily available (probably crafted by Charles together with a speech writer) long before today that was adapted once in a while to reflect any changes.

It was said last night on the news that he worked until the very last minute on his speech.Some behind the scenes images. https://www.instagram.com/reel/CiTZQVaggPj/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

This mornig they say the royal standard is flying above Buckingham Palace but that he probably spend the night at his residence Clarence House.

It was rumoured before that he would keep living at Clarence House as BP is being renovated.
May we expect an official confirmation about that in due time?

The reading room of the Duchess of Cornwall has become the Royal Reading Room.
https://instagram.com/theroyalreadingroom?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Last edited:
Another historic day having the proclamation of King Charles

My 92 year old mother has lived through 5 monarchs and has been glued to the TV since the news of the Queen's concerning health. This moment is moving for all of us but particularly so for the Queen's generation.

Well that was history on TV. Amazing seeing that. Long live the king

I was watching closely, and I think that HM The Queen signed as "Camilla R" and then underlined her signature. The angle for The Prince of Wales's signature was not as good, but he is entitled to sign "William P."

I was watching closely, and I think that HM The Queen signed as "Camilla R" and then underlined her signature. The angle for The Prince of Wales's signature was not as good, but he is entitled to sign "William P."

She did ! Historical moment, really ...

I've only read soundbites off the news this morning, but it sounds like a heartfelt and beautiful speech he made.

Not surprised at all he conferred the title of Prince and Princess of Wales onto William and Catherine immediately. He has done A LOT as Prince of Wales himself and wants that continuity and shows trust in his son and daughter-in-law.

I am so happy to see he publicly and explicitly stated his love for Harry and Meghan, to shut the media up! I have always felt he couldn't do such a public declaration whilst his late mother was alive, but now he can. It's not that I think the late Queen didn't like Meghan and Harry, but rather she was from an era where you don't do such things. Charles has always come across a lot more emotional and this shows it. I think this public declaration alkso shows he will not issue letters patent removing titles from Archie and Lilibet. It is a massive olive branch and I applaud him doing this.

His speech shows that he is also aware he is an old King, stating he will pledge his duty for what time remaining given by God. That for me shows the understanding of his age.

I am looking forward to seeing Charles as King and Prince William as PoW. I think we will see a far more modern Royal house which may be more in line with other Royal houses in Europe.

God Save King Charles!
I just think he was being “polite” with the Harry and Meghan thing. I don’t think the HRH titles and styles of Archie are a priority for him now and he hasn’t actually said anything about them getting titles or not.

I have to laugh at Charles waving away the inkwells etc on the table. I imagine William was making a mental note to ensure there's a better arrangement when it's his turn.

Why are the showing nothing from inside like all other Channels? Strange.

It looks like they are only going to show the "public" proclamation - not the Privy Council meeting.

The King was wearing a brooch like thing on his tie. Anyone who got a clear view? It looked like a CR monogram?

The King was wearing a brooch like thing on his tie. Anyone who got a clear view? It looked like a CR monogram?

Yes it's an entwined CR with the crown above.

I have to laugh at Charles waving away the inkwells etc on the table. I imagine William was making a mental note to ensure there's a better arrangement when it's his turn.

thought that was a great little candid breach of formality, also how the (new) Prince of Wales put back the lid of the inkwell that was left lying on the proclamation document...
and indeed my thought was too: that needed a bigger table

Thanks! Do you know if that will be the monogram we see everywhere? On Sky they said a monogram will be designed, not that there was one already.

My thoughts were that his first act as king was to ruin his document xD

Also, the way he shoved his paper in Williams hands xd

Last edited:
thought that was a great little candid breach of formality, also how the (new) Prince of Wales put back the lid of the inkwell that was left lying on the proclamation document...

Need a bigger table and maybe put the inkwell in a better place as the royal and the others signed from different sides of table.... It's a bit funny to see them moving inkwell here and there :ninja:

Charles and Camilla - like the late Queen probably come from a generation and place where they use proper ink wells all the time but others to sign the document don't. I suspect when William becomes King they won't have an ink well and everyone will just use the same pens. It was one of those moments where everyone can probably see what is happening but no one wants to "break ranks" and move from their place.

There will definitely be a bigger table next time

It's interesting that "the high and mighty prince" was modernized into "the prince," but the King was described as the "only lawful and rightful liege lord," which was not included in the late Queen's proclamation in 1952 (though it was in at least some of the realms other than the UK).

Last edited:
The RF official youtube channel has the accession council and proclamation on video here

Yes! Charles accidentally knocked the lid off and William put it back.

Yes! Charles accidentally knocked the lid off and William put it back.

The King was visibly nervous when he took and subscribed the oath for the security of the Church of Scotland.

He was also nervous when approving the draft orders in council and signing the proclamations, but that is understandable.

It is interesting that orders were made to allow the Great Seals with the previous Queen's cipher to continue to be affixed to official documents until new Great Seals are made for the new reign. An important practical necessity.

The King also confirmed, as his predecessors, that he will surrender the revenues of the Crown Estate to the Treasury in exchange for the Sovereign Grant for the duration of his reign.

Last edited:
Was this the first time a Queen Consort was present at the Accession Council? Or were Queens Mary and Alexandra also members of the Privy Council and those present?
And was Prince Philip present in 1952?

Back
Top Bottom