Charlene Wittstock Current Events Part 10: January 2008 - June 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous:Good for her, but then again I guess she had no choice.

In the official princely wedding, it was said there was no rule for the wife of the prince sovereign to be catholic, but Charlene perfers to convert to catholic religious, it is good thingh.
In Nice Matin, it is said that the people of Monaco the natives people could watch the civil wedding on bigs screens on the place of palace and they will have cocktail with the brides further there will be in an another coktails with the residents and than there will be a big concert with Jean Michel Jarre.The Mayor of Monaco said the native monegash people will receive their cards of invitation in the middle of april.This morning, I heard that the fests and the two weddings will be boardcasted

I'm not sure if this is addressed in another thread, but People magazine is reporting that Charlene converted to Catholicism. Obviously a big step for anyone so, congratulations to her. Charlene Wittstock Converts to Catholicism : People.com
May the good Lord Bless and protect Charlene as she has had the faith to change her religion of her own accord.That will assist in raising a family. as well as being closer to Monaco........she has been a good sport and wise about her spirituality.

Last edited:
Finally we have things clear!
Good to know she is catholic now.

Charlene did have a choice. The heirs have to be Catholic but she does not. Still I think it was a good move and will make the citizens happy.

This is good news. Even though it is not mandatory, it is respectful of the people, history and traditions of Monaco for Charlene to convert. I do wish it had happened sooner, I'm not judging her in any way, but it would have looked more "sincere" (for lack of a better word -I'm not saying she's not) if this had happened some months ago. In any event, good for here, glad to see it. Assuming both take it seriously, it is important for a good marriage to have both in agreement on the big issues like religion.

:monacostandard: :monacoflag: :monacoflag:

I think that Charlene's converting to Catholicism was diplomatic. It is also quite surprising that only several weeks ago Mr. Barsi, who is Monaco's bishop, told in interview that CW didn't have to convert. Now she is catholic, so it happened quite fast.

I think that Charlene's converting to Catholicism was diplomatic. It is also quite surprising that only several weeks ago Mr. Barsi, who is Monaco's bishop, told in interview that CW didn't have to convert. Now she is catholic, so it happened quite fast.

That's the apparency...

I converted to Episcopaleon years ago and that was several months of classes. I understand that conversion to Roman Catholic is even more of an effort.

If Charlene did not convert , there will be many critics here, now she convert"how can she convert so quickly?" I remembered all the critics. Mgr Barsi was very reserved because it was the palace who must annonce the convert not him. In a talk on the monaco club press, he refused to answer to a report who asked him if the future princess will convert or was already converted. He said 'there will be a communique of the palace on this subject'. You can watch the interview of Mgr Barsi on the monaco club press on march the 17th.

Actually I think the time difference between the engagement and the announcement that she has converted is good.

I am not Catholic nor have I converted from another faith but I would imagine that its not a decision that is taken lightly, and one day you say...Oh I want to be Catholic now. I assume she had to take classes, etc.

The timing now makes me think she put some thought as well as education/learning the new religion.

Actually I think the time difference between the engagement and the announcement that she has converted is good.

I am not Catholic nor have I converted from another faith but I would imagine that its not a decision that is taken lightly, and one day you say...Oh I want to be Catholic now. I assume she had to take classes, etc.

The timing now makes me think she put some thought as well as education/learning the new religion.

I'm speaking from experience. I did "convert" from a Protestant denomination of Christianity to Catholicism about six months before my wedding to a Catholic. As I was already a baptized Christian, I took the sacraments of reconciliation and the eucharist. For mere common folk like me, I did nine months of classes but I know speaking to others that some people can skip over the formalities and jump straight to being a Catholic.

Although people use the word convert, conversion usually means coming to another religion, like Islam to Christianity or vice versa. As Charlene (and me) were already Christians, I think the better word is being accepted into the Catholic Church.

As for her motives, who the heck knows and what's the point of speculating? I think it's great that she can take the eucharist along with the rest of her soon-to-be husband's family. It would look very awkward if she couldn't IMO.

Well, I hope it is a sincere conversion, and not just because she wanted to ingratiate herself to the Monagasques.

Because I don't think it mattered that much to PA and his family.

On the other hand, it WILL make her Nuptial Mass less awkward for her. :whistling:

I seriously doubt Charlene would have converted if she was not conscientious of it.She does strike me as sensible girl.And I believe she had a choice left open to her. And she decided to convert.It could be considered and perceived as formality but she chose of her own voliton and autonomy to agree with it.May god Bless her.

Many signs made think that she would convert, at the first interview, she answered I am not protestant, I am not catolish I am christian, than at the national fest she made the sign of the cross with the holy oil at the entry of the cathedral, she knelt at the moment of the salut , signs that protestant do not make(I think), than at the sainte Devote she made the sign of the cross at the altar in the cathedral and also on the balcony and at the Princess Antoinette's funeral she knelt and made the signs of the cross, she answered as the other members of the family to the sentences of the archbishop. We are surprised because the palace said on the site of the mariageprinciermonaco2011 that there was no rule for a princess to be catholic.
I think that official church and palace did not want the people think there was a pressionon her.
For the thrue faith, I think that she converted because all the principaly family is catholic, the people of Monaco is also catholic, her future children will be catholic, and it will not be easy to stay protestant.

melina-premiere, I agree with you. And I am more than slightly relieved that she converted because I think it shows a willingness to make concessions to the demands of her new position.

CW doesn't strike me as someone who even thought much about religion and Church attendance...now she is part of a ruling family that has had traditionally close relationships with the Pope and the Holy See...and where(at least publically...privately is another story:lol: :cool:) they are required to appear as committed Catholics.

It's a big, rather scary leap to make and I am impressed with CW that she has determined to do it...when she did not really have to.

Last edited:
I remembered having seen on Point De Vue that the Duchess of the Kent the wife of Prince Edward converted to the catholic religion. I do not know if it is the right place on this board to pose this Question? Was it true? It seemed that one of her son converted at the catholic religion.

I remembered having seen on Point De Vue that the Duchess of the Kent the wife of Prince Edward converted to the catholic religion. I do not know if it is the right place on this board to pose this Question? Was it true? It seemed that one of her son converted at the catholic religion.

It is true and her son Nicholas converted as well, AFAIK.

It is true and her son Nicholas converted as well, AFAIK.

And also Baron Downpatrick and Lady Marina Windsor the 2 oldest children of the Earl and Countess of St. Andrews where confirmed catholic. But their mother is also catholic.

The religion is always transmitted to the children by their mother. So if Albert Children (and one of them will be the next crown Prince) have to be catholic, was'nt she obliged in a certain way to convert herself? When you marry in this context you are obliged to do some concessions anyway. By the way (nothing to do with that), but I heard Charlene's voice and I love it. She has a masculine voice not very traditional but I really enjoyed it.

Rosapru I do enjoy her voice very much as well. :whistling: It is husky but soft, with a nice South African accent. She never seems hesitant, and I have never heard her say "ummmm" which drives me batty when I hear people do it a lot.

And yes, religion is traditionally transmitted to children through the mother. I think CW has been quietly being instructed in the Catholic faith for months...at least since last summer...and was received into the Church in a very low key manner which is how it should be done anyway.

If she was already baptized, all she had to do was make a Profession of Faith and receive the Eucharist.

Moonmaiden23 said:
Rosapru I do enjoy her voice very much as well. :whistling: It is husky but soft, with a nice South African accent. She never seems hesitant, and I have never heard her say "ummmm" which drives me batty when I hear people do it a lot.

And yes, religion is traditionally transmitted to children through the mother. I think CW has been quietly being instructed in the Catholic faith for months...at least since last summer...and was received into the Church in a very low key manner which is how it should be done anyway.

If she was already baptized, all she had to do was make a Profession of Faith and receive the Eucharist.

Maybe it's typical but I believe as long as she agreed to raise heirs Catholic she didn't have to convert- to use the above example while the Duchess of Kent is Catholic and Lord Nicholas is, her other children are not

She could wait to convert to be catholic at the birth of the children but she prefered to convert before the wedding, it is clear now, on these board, she was very critized because she was yet protestant a month ago, now she converts and it is good for the prince and the people of Monaco, she will offer her flowerbride to the sainte Devote after the wedding as it is the us , all the fests in Monaco begin with a mass and the prince takes the communion, during the wedding that will be a roman catholic mass, the prince will take the communion and for her, it would not be easy if she would stay protestant. Duchess of Kent is not a princess sovereighn she is only the cousin of the queen.

Charlene of her own accord and knowledge converted although she was not pressured into it. Religion is matriarchal BUT there is dispensation from the Vatican should Charlene not have wanted to convert. Should she not have wanted to The Vatican would have issued a dispensation for the children to be raised Catholic anyway. It is to her credit that she did this of her own accord and autonomy without pressure, showing a side of her in the interview where she states that she is Christian that possibly intimating that she is accountable to God alone for her conversion and spirituality.Quite ethical .. and exceptional behaviour.

Charlene of her own accord and knowledge converted although she was not pressured into it. Religion is matriarchal BUT there is dispensation from the Vatican should Charlene not have wanted to convert. Should she not have wanted to The Vatican would have issued a dispensation for the children to be raised Catholic anyway. It is to her credit that she did this of her own accord and autonomy without pressure, showing a side of her in the interview where she states that she is Christian that possibly intimating that she is accountable to God alone for her conversion and spirituality.Quite ethical .. and exceptional behaviour.

Why would have the Vatican needed to give dispensation?
My husband is catholic, I am not, but we had no trouble from the church when we announced that we wanted to baptise our daughter.

You do not need a dispensation to baptize your children in the Church.

All that is required is that at least one party be Catholic.

Even if Charlene had not converted, her children would have been baptized and raised as Catholics because she probably would have been required to agree to this as one of the pre-conditions to the marriage rite.

Last edited:
Why would have the Vatican needed to give dispensation?
My husband is catholic, I am not, but we had no trouble from the church when we announced that we wanted to baptise our daughter.
They probaly have a record of what you are doing which is noted at the Vatican somewhere- Dispensation as in a permission kept in the Vatican archives for historical purposes. or on computers nowadays etc.. I think you get my idea.

It's not so much the Vatican who would like everyone in Monaco to follow Catholicism.

It happens to be the law of the Principality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom