The Royal Run: 2019-2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Crown Prince Christian arrived in Brønderslev to take part in the One Mile

Queen Margrethe watches the race on TV at Fredensborg Palace:

King Frederik X on his way to Copenhagen:

New Photos of Queen Mary participating in the Royal Run in Kalundborg.

Amazing the growth spurt they had, all the same height unless the twins are standing on a brick each. ;)

Queen Mary isn’t running? I haven’t seen her yet. Good job Vincent!!!!!

According to the published schedule Queen Mary will run in Kalundborg at 4:30 pm.

Wonderful! A group of conscripts will he running in Frederica along with King Frederik. They've chosen to do it in full uniform!
We do this to show the king and the outside world our community and that we are together for something bigger.

DRF Instagram has posted a photo of the King on his way to Frederica

Frederik has arrived in Frederica

TV2 running blog....

Bringing this post back given the new post on the DRF Instagram by the Crown Prince

Uhm...did Princess Isabella, Princess Josephine and Prince Vincent have a major growth spurt or something?!? My goodness they look so grown up! I feel old....
I saw this picture before and didn’t recognize them!

15 conscripts from the guidance support regiment ran closely together with HM King Frederik X.

The oldest participant is 101, and the youngest is 6 months!!

Aarhus

Copenhagen
Both Frederik and Christian said that Vincent was the fastest runner in the family and he was in the one mile race, "beating" both their times.

Christian running his own city.

Love how they dont just run but participate in events for each city

"Kaj, aged 101, is the race's oldest participant.
He got the ticket as a Christmas present and had to admit that the royal house was something different than when he was young.
- In my time it was completely different with Christian 10th, you didn't see them that much, you only heard them on the radio, and that wasn't very often, he said."

From Christian
"It is the first time that Crown Prince Christian is alone on an official assignment, and he is very happy about that, he says.
- So far I am very excited to be here. Thanks to Brønderslev for coming. I am very honored to be allowed to come out alone, he says."

"Takes the time to look people in the eye.
Royal Household experts praise Crown Prince Christian on TV2 Nyheder.
The Crown Prince was also generous in greeting the many present at Brønderslev, where he posed for selfies and gave high fives."

15 conscripts from the guidance support regiment ran closely together with HM King Frederik X.

The oldest participant is 101, and the youngest is 6 months!!

Aarhus

Copenhagen
Both Frederik and Christian said that Vincent was the fastest runner in the family and he was in the one mile race, "beating" both their times.

Christian running his own city.

Love how they dont just run but participate in events for each city
I love it too. They just don't show up for the photo op. They take part in other activities in addition to running their race.

And Christian did amazing in handling being assigned his own City this year. He seemed very at ease on his own meeting participants, talking to the press and doing other activities. Great job representing himself and the royal family!!

Mary has finished the 5km and she can confirmed that the change of title has not made it easier to run : )
"Queen Mary has just reached the finish line after running the five kilometer route in Kalundborg. The route featured the steepest climb in the Royal Run's history, and Queen Mary had noticed.
- It was hillier than I had thought and trained for, she said with a big smile and sweat on her forehead
She also said that she slowed down several times so that she could get up the hills better.
- I'm not in good running shape, but do other forms of exercise, she said.
It is her first Royal Run as Queen. But the title of queen does not necessarily improve running form.
- It has not become easier for that reason, she said smiling."

Frederik arriving on bike with Vincent
Frederik will be running the 10km in Copenhagen and it looks like Vincent will be joining him
I think Christian is there too!

He took part in the race at Brønderslev, I havent seen him in Copenhagen yet.
Among other things he jumped off 12m

Vincent has just finished the 10km at 47 minutes!
Mary, Isabella and Josephine are cheering on the last runners, selfies and high fives galore

Christian now joins in Copenhagen

Christian ran with two of his birthday guests. How sweet!

A job well done for Christian, his first official act as Crown Prince on his own
"Crown Prince Christian was on his first official task as crown prince this year, when he ran alone at the Royal Run in Brønderslev.
And he managed that quite well, assessed Berlingske's royal house commentator Jakob Steen Olsen.
The Crown Prince made a point of greeting people and giving high fives.
- He is not afraid of other people, and if there is one thing that boy needs, it is to meet a lot of people, high and low. Try to see how he takes his time. He has time to say hello and that means a lot to people out there. I became very proud of him, said the royal house commentator."

"King Frederik has just finished the 10 kilometers in Copenhagen.
He managed them in just under an hour.
- It went very well! said the king afterwards to the press.
- If I can run 16.5 kilometers today, then the young people can also run a 10.
Here, King Frederik was also asked what it was like to experience his son, Crown Prince Christian, who was alone in Brønderslev to run a mile with.
- He lifted it fine and exemplary, King Frederik praises his son.
The successful races must be celebrated with pasta, the king admits at the end."

After a long day over 5 cities, but still cheering on the participants

The 2025 Royal Run will take place on Monday June 9th.
and a lovely post to end the day of their two doggies, happy that the family is back home after all that running

Last edited:
Well done to them all and looked like such a fun day!

Reactions: EML
Lovely video of King Frederik cheering everyone on, and this video really highlights the success of this event: the participants! Young and old, big and small, everyone looked delighted to take part.

there is just too many to post, how close everyone is to their royal family. I saw one video of Isbaella, Vincent and Josephine at the starting line waiting to start, when Isabella gets called over for a photo from one of the participants.

another large gallery, love the hugs of the between the royal family once Vincent and Frederik had finished their 10km

i really like this tradition they have started. it seems a really fun day out for all the community, and very much authentic to F&M as they are both very sporty.

What impressed me the most was Vincent.
Not only the way he ran, which was very good indeed, but the way he as a matter of course and very confidently approached and answered questions from the press right after having finished.
Later to be joined by his sisters of course, but until then he managed on his own without any adults around. He is after all not that old.

Christian is a natural. He handled, won over and rocked the town of Brønderslev with ease! And do mind this: They are not easy to impress in that part of DK! Be they young or old, their feet are not just standing solid on the ground, their feet are positively rooted in the ground! A high praise in that part of DK would be something like: He didn't do too bad. - And you only get that kind of praise if you really nail it.
I know of a couple who had been going steady for quite some time. They were out walking with the woman chatting away as she usually did, they guy remained pretty silent - also as usual. All of a sudden he said: "Well, we might just as well get married." - That was that proposal. Romantic, eh? They are still married BTW.
That's just so typical of Vendsyssel, which what the northernmost part of Jutland is called. It's BTW also where the Cimbrians originated.

IIRC Vincent was a bit media-shy in the beginning (1st Royal Run when all of the family except him talked with the reporters, schoolstart...) but now he seems very confident. But of course he is doing something in which he excels and for which he always gets praised by the media.

Last edited:
Well in the first royal run, Vincent was 7. I think he handled it pretty well back then and even more so now. He has always been the quieter of the 4, but not too quiet (the visiting cow event springs to mind).

@Muhler thank you for the background info into Brønderslev. And great to see that you survived the royal run ; )
Christian did so well on his own. No siblings or parents around.

It speaks to Frederik and Mary's parenting style that all 4 have done so well so far. Yes, they have different levels but I see they feel supportive. Like Christian mentioned in his birthday; when one has low energy the others are ready to pick them up.

And Royal Run 2025 already set. What a legacy and tradition they have started.

Next year it is again scheduled for Whit/Pentecost Monday, as it has been from the start (except for 2021 when after a cancellation in 2020 due to Covid it must have been postponed to September), so if you know the dates of Pentecost, you can predict the dates for future years.

2018: May 21 (Whit Monday)
2019: June 10 (Whit Monday)
2020: none
2021: late - September 12
2022: June 6 (Whit Monday)
2023: May 29 (Whit Monday)
2024: May 20 (Whit Monday)
2025: June 9 (Whit Monday)

When I saw the photo of Queen Mary sitting with the Carmen Curlers ladies, I thought, well okay, there are lots of things going on around the actual event.
People in costume, groups protesting, lots of side action.
I didn’t know these originated Denmark back in the 1960s, and the factory was in Kalunborg.
Even Tasmanian ladies coverted these all those decades ago.
Few could afford them though.
They probably had an hefty import tax on them too … Australia used have protection against money going overseas instead of being spent locally in those days, so any imports were truly a luxury.

But ours Mothers and Aunties thought they were the best thing ever.

Indeed.
With a population of now 5.9 million, 95.000 constitute around 1.7 % or so of the entire population.

So to put into perspective:
The population of USA is 334.000.000 - so an American Royal Run would see around 5.6 million participants.
In Australia with a population of 27 million that would translate to around 460.000 participants.
Or UK with a population of around 67 million (My, you sure have increased your population!) that would be around 1.1 million runners.
- So yes, no matter what yardstick you use that can only be described as a success.

The Muhler family, Mrs. Muhler and I, my in-laws and our daughter with her sweetheart (these two young couch-potatoes will be walking with us), will take part in the 5 km run in Aarhus tomorrow with King Frederik. Probably way back though as we intend to walk. After all my in-laws are both retirees, but they don't consider walking 5 km a problem. They routinely walk several kms every day checking the local landscape and the neighbors.
Hello Muhler , greetings from a very wet England . Just wanted to ask if you , and the assorted " couch potatoes ", enjoyed your Royal Run ?

Hello Muhler , greetings from a very wet England . Just wanted to ask if you , and the assorted " couch potatoes ", enjoyed your Royal Run ?
We did, thank you.
Didn't even glimpse King Frederik though. But it's better that way, lest my mother-in-law, being a super-royalist, jumped on him and it would look sloppy with the King running along with a woman on his back, with her arms around his neck. (She too is a member here and read this. ;))
Apart from that the mood was great, many people had dressed up and strolled along just like us. With the weather these days being perfect summer weather (around 20 degrees C and a light wind) it wasn't the least be strenuous and we chatted with other people around. We were far from the only ones who had come from outside Aarhus, just to take part, enjoy a family outing and show support for this truly great initiative.
As for our two lovebirds, no danger of them being separated despite the crowd! I don't think they let go of each others hands during the entire walk. - While the rest of us argued about the names of our soon to be grandchildren/great-grandchildren. After all they've been together for six months now, so it's about time they get married and produce some children, we can spoil rotten and hand back to their parents. :devilish:
- After all, one of the true delights of life is to embarrass your children.
Our soon to be son-in-law, whether he want's to or not, is a nice guy. In fact we recently talked with his parents about them joining us another year. That would be nice.
After the walk we had a dinner in a nice little restaurant not far from the harbor, we often go to. This Royal Run thing is a godsend for restaurants, diners and vendors of all sorts.
We made it home about the time the run started in Copenhagen, but our dog decided I needed some exercise so I only watched the whole thing later. In the meantime my wife was on the phone, catching up. After all she had hardly been using it for several hours, so it was by then cool enough to be touched with her bare hands.

All in all it was a good day. It would have been less enjoyable had it been pouring down all day.

A nice gallery of Christian at Brønderslev.

What a handsome fellow
what a fantastic pic with the cute little girl.

We did, thank you.
Didn't even glimpse King Frederik though. But it's better that way, lest my mother-in-law, being a super-royalist, jumped on him and it would look sloppy with the King running along with a woman on his back, with her arms around his neck. (She too is a member here and read this. ;))
Apart from that the mood was great, many people had dressed up and strolled along just like us. With the weather these days being perfect summer weather (around 20 degrees C and a light wind) it wasn't the least be strenuous and we chatted with other people around. We were far from the only ones who had come from outside Aarhus, just to take part, enjoy a family outing and show support for this truly great initiative.
As for our two lovebirds, no danger of them being separated despite the crowd! I don't think they let go of each others hands during the entire walk. - While the rest of us argued about the names of our soon to be grandchildren/great-grandchildren. After all they've been together for six months now, so it's about time they get married and produce some children, we can spoil rotten and hand back to their parents. :devilish:
- After all, one of the true delights of life is to embarrass your children.
Our soon to be son-in-law, whether he want's to or not, is a nice guy. In fact we recently talked with his parents about them joining us another year. That would be nice.
After the walk we had a dinner in a nice little restaurant not far from the harbor, we often go to. This Royal Run thing is a godsend for restaurants, diners and vendors of all sorts.
We made it home about the time the run started in Copenhagen, but our dog decided I needed some exercise so I only watched the whole thing later. In the meantime my wife was on the phone, catching up. After all she had hardly been using it for several hours, so it was by then cool enough to be touched with her bare hands.

All in all it was a good day. It would have been less enjoyable had it been pouring down all day.
So glad to hear that you all had a wonderful day , I would have to agree that HM might have found it difficult to complete the run with your MIL around his neck . Although I'm sure he would have coped. A story for the future great grandchildren Ah !! grandchildren to spoil then hand back to parents .

In a country of 5.9 million, a quarter of a million is quite a crowd, even if divided between five places. - It amounts to around 3-4% of the entire population.

Back
Top Bottom