Fashion for the little and teenage royals Part 19: April 2023 - October 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The first photo doesn't help my case, in these you can see how weirdly it fits around the hips, to me it's matronly. The fabric also doesn't look that well, gorgeous colour though.

I didn't even notice the neckline, Leonor became a curvy lady overnight, so the neckline is ok because turtlenecks wouldn't suit her figure.

I don't mind the neckline but find the fit and style of the dress in unflattering on Leonor. It does look matronly, as you say.

A very lovely look for Princess Leonor at the act of delivery of Royal Employment Dispatches from the Military Academy in Zaragoza today, July 7:

** Full view ** Full view ** gallery **

Last edited:
A lovely polka dot look on the Princess today, would have preferred to see her hair tied back for this event.

It's an "I want to like it and can't", for me. I think minus the extraneous hanging piece of fabric and with black-and-white shoes, it might look better.

The long-sleeved dotted dress she had for her first solo engagement was much prettier on her, I think, although it wouldn't work for this occasion, even if it still fits.

Leonor and Sofia meeting with the Board of Trustees of the Spanish Committee of the United World Colleges Foundation, Sponsors of Scholarships and Students today, July 14:

Leonor wore a Zara dress, Sofia one by Spanish brand Sfera :

** Both ** Leonor ** Leonor ** Sofia ** Sofia ** gallery both **

Last edited:
Leonor and Sofia meeting with the Board of Trustees of the Spanish Committee of the United World Colleges Foundation, Sponsors of Scholarships and Students today, July 14:

Is my impression.. or Leonor has the most gorgeous hair quality ever ?

Sofia's dress is very nice but missing some cm in length. I can't imagine what will happen in a moment of wind.
As for Leonor i don't like the print of the dress.. too rich.

Sent from my SM-A426B using The Royals Community mobile app

Infanta Sofia's dress is too short for official audiences and not a fan of Princess Leonors dress either.

If innumerable royals got through the 60's in Sofia's length, I imagine she'll be fine.

For the first time in a long time, I really like Leonor's dress (and the green espadrilles, too!). It's cheerful and flattering.

Sofia's dress is cute, even if it is too short.

Leonor is in one of the most wildly unflattering outfits I have ever seen her wear.:sad:

I like Leonor’s dress but feel it would be more flattering with her hair up. The pattern and puff sleeves and hair all around her face overwhelm her.

I like both dresses. Sofia's dress is a beautiful color.

If innumerable royals got through the 60's in Sofia's length, I imagine she'll be fine.

[ . . . ]
Ah, the old "skirt length" conundrum. If I cast my mind back ten years, I remember that Leonor and Sofia wore the same dresses and Sofia's always looked far shorter. There is a reason for that, Sofia's legs are shorter than Leonor's. It is a situation I am familiar with as I had two nieces that were that almost looked like twins, same hair, same skin tone, same height, same age, etc. but I remember my mother taking one of them to task about the length of her skirt and both of them laughing and standing side by side and it was easy to see the actual skirts she and her cousin were wearing were exactly to same size and length. One had longer legs than the other.

I like Leonor’s dress but feel it would be more flattering with her hair up. The pattern and puff sleeves and hair all around her face overwhelm her.
I would have to agree. Had she put her hair up in an updo she would have shown a more elongated silhouette, even a high pony would have made her look older, more sophisticated and balanced in style and not frumpy!

Leonor's dress is too old for her and does not suit her shape. Sofia is a bit short but ok, several other guests are wearing the same length.

Sofias dress is just perfect for her. Leonor’s dress is too busy for her shape and size. She needs to keep it simple for the cameras

Leonor’s clothing will be photographed and critiqued almost daily for the next 60-70 years. I hope she’s not spending a lot of time worrying about what she’s wearing now.

I think the Spanish young ladies need a stylist to guide them on what looks good for their body type, and so forth Letizia has one and she almost always looks good.
(..) Daniel and the kids look great and so, so happy.

Last edited by a moderator:
The "alpargatas" (espadrilles or espardeñas is its name in catalan), it is a traditional Spanish shoe with centuries of history, which is part of many of our regional costumes and which has been incorporated into fashion in Spain for decades. Men, women and children use it in summer because it is a light and comfortable shoe, which also prevents blisters that can be suffered with leather shoes in the high temperatures of the Spanish summer. Perhaps in other countries it is a "fashionable" shoe but in Spain it is something traditional.

Sofía has always liked fashion more, her style is that of girls her age in Spain and being at home with her mother and her fashion consultant has been able to choose and adapt everything she buys. It is normal that at her age she does not want to stand out for being the tallest, or that because of her height it is uncomfortable for her to walk in heels... her flat shoes are original designs and well chosen.

Leonor, perhaps because of her personality, perhaps because of her position as heiress, has always been less innovative with clothing. She has spent two years in Wales where the students dressed very informally, usually jeans, sweatshirts and trainers. If we add to this that her body has changed a lot in this time (and she still doesn't seem completely comfortable in public, with a tendency to cover her body) and that probably most of her clothes for events have been either chosen from photos or taken from her mother's closet... well, she hasn't quite found a defined style yet.

Sofia is a teen. Leonor is a teen / post teen. How do they wish worldwide teens to dress? Like all the other teens.
They don't really pay attention if their outfits are suitable to their body type or to their social position... their primary care is to dress like their pals.
Now we have 2 teens with a very complicated task. They have to dress how they love... and combine their position of future Queen/Infanta...to follow a protocol.. and respect their body type... al these while remaining young..
Under these conditions is expected that some misses will occur.
As for Leonor it is obvious that she never dressed as per her age. She jumped from the child.... to 30y old (or maybe more) Maybe this fail is due to the existence of a stylist rather than a non existence. Maybe her mother's advices, who knows. Also she passed suddenly from a child's body to a woman's body... she needs time to assume.

Her mother also.. when she started royal life had many fails.. and she still has. Is human.

Leonor’s clothing will be photographed and critiqued almost daily for the next 60-70 years. I hope she’s not spending a lot of time worrying about what she’s wearing now.

Maybe not. Leonor will be the monarch, not the consort without a 'real' role, like her mother. The press might treat her differently.
In addition to that, Leonor might follow the example of other women who had the power, like Beatrix, QEII, Angela Merkel, and develop kind of a uniform = use the same hairstyle, type of clothes ad nauseam so there is nothing to write about the appearance. It will take some time though.

I believe while Sofia is free in her choice what to do, she will suffer more from critizism, press obsession etc than her sister.

Just to add, I believe for now the girls will (have to) prefer most times Spanish brands that most part of the public or age group can afford, unlike their peers who wear quite expensive dresses for events (Amalia, Elisabeth).

Last edited:
There is an important difference @Duc of Marmelade between Leonor when she will be Queen and the 2 Queens you mentioned.
When these Queens used to be younger, Royals use to dress as royals in an exclusive way. Usually they had tailor made clothes which were made only for them...according to a special royal protocol. Unless to copy them after.. no-one could wear the same.
Now royals shop .. they don't order to be made. They shop expensive or even cheap, and anyone could buy and wear the same. So clothes worn by royals, upon identification, go immediately sold-out. This kind of hysteria increases the interest, to define the designer, buy the same or a similar style.
Also don't forget that so high interest for fashion is a phenomenon which did not exist (or in a much lower level) in the 60s or 70s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom