The Duke and Duchess of Sussex to Step Back as Senior Royals: January 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wouldn't residing part of the year in Canada be actually residing part of the year in a Commonwealth country? To me, that is actually highlighting their Commonwealth positions and goals to support and work for the Commonwealth nations.

:

I don’t like to repeat myself , but, in the old days, everything would be easier. Harry would be sent to Canada for 5 years or so as Governor General and he and Meghan could be King and Queen ( or Viceroy and Vicereine) of their little realm.

Nowadays, , however, the Commonwealth is a very loose association and more of a cultural one than anything else ( it may change following Brexit, but not so fast ). Harry is seen primarily as a British prince and I believe the British people (the UK posters may correct me if I am wrong) expect that his commitment be primarily to the UK. So I am not sure how they would take Harry and Meghan living part-time in Canada although I accept that is something the couple was trying to negotiate with the Palace before this news broke and the twitter announcement came.

On the other hand, I don’t know how the Canadians would take having Harry and Meghan there on a part-time basis either. If they stayed as private citizens, I suppose it would be perfectly fine, but if Harry sought a public role for himself and his wife, what would that be ? Would he be an accredited UK diplomat in Canada ? The Canadian constitution assigns a role to Elizabeth II ( she is the Queen of Canada) , but assigns no role to any other member of the Royal Family, not even the Prince of Wales,. They are merely successors to the Crown, but as I discussed in another thread related to the Perth Agreement and the Succession to the Crown Act, the Canadian courts have just ruled that the succession law is part of British law, rather than Canadian law or the Canadian constitution. In fact, I don’t even know if Harry has Canadian citizenship ( I believe the Queen does, but other royals do not ?).

When Harry and Meghan visited Canada House, I sensed there was something odd going on, but , like other posters, I was rebuffed for saying that. In hindsight, it is clear that the Sussexes ‘ plans for an active Canadian role were behind it and it might even look like that there was some coordination with the Canadian government on their Canada plan. I doubt , however, that the High Commissioner or the government in Ottawa were aware that the Queen or the Palace were on the dark about that or, at least, were not on the same page as the Sussexes yet.

I would love to hear a Canadian perspective on the topic.

Last edited:
That it was disrespectful of Harry & Meghan to make this move as they did-no matter what reason they are using.

Disrespectful to the Queen, Harry’s father and the people/public who embraced and suported them.
I agree. Up to now I've felt sympathic toward Harry & Meghan but this is awful, truly awful.

I think everyone is missing the boat. I read this on Omid Scobie Twitter. This is how Harry and Meghan plan to get news out about their work

They have thrown serious shade at the British media and took a swipe at Royal reporters. Even on break the press wrote idiotic stories about them. This approach is not a rush; given how the statement is written it was thought out. The Sussexes are not going to do quid pro quo deals with a press that constantly attacks them. The step back allows them control who they will work with.

You only have to read the Daily Mail comments to see the vitioral about MM. I think William and Kate were happy when Harry was unmarried as they treated him as a puppy, and so often William would say sarcastic things about Harry in public. I think Charles has supported MM but I don't think William or Kate have at all.

With the recent emphasis and continual photos of the direct line of succession, Harry would be sidelined and I think this is the right move, though it appears to be poorly executed.

True, but Daily Mail comments section is hardly representing the average British citizen let alone the average human being, otherwise I'd like to be :beamup:
Anyway, Meghan is hardly the only royal coming under heavy fire!
Kate could hardly do anything right at all for a long period!
Queen Letizia were publicly called things that are against the board rules to even repeat here!

However, apart from me thinking this an extremely bad way to handle this by H&M, I think it is wiser they move on on their own. May they find happiness following their own path
But as many has pointed out, they can't be working royals and independent at the same time. That's a contradiction.

Last edited:
I think everyone is missing the boat. I read this on Omid Scobie Twitter. This is how Harry and Meghan plan to get news out about their work

They have thrown serious shade at the British media and took a swipe at Royal reporters. Even on break the press wrote idiotic stories about them. This approach is not a rush; given how the statement is written it was thought out. The Sussexes are not going to do quid pro quo deals with a press that constantly attacks them. The step back allows them control who they will work with.

They may try...
But the press is not going to stop writing about them, just because H&M won't co-operate. On the contrary, the press will go on the attack. Especially the British press.

And wouldn't H&M be dependent of the press to get their messages across? And get focus on the subjects they support.
If H&M (or anyone else for that matter) think they can control or manage the press, they will be in for a nasty surprise.

I’m going to take a little time away from the forums and reflect on what lead up to all of this. I’m too sad at the moment.

Happy chatting and please remain respectful to one another. I’ll be back soon.
Exactly what I am thinking...they are my favourite Royals and it will leave a big emptiness in my interest for the Royals:sad:

See Citizen-topic; most likely best to move that discussion to the topic specifically created for these discussions.

Usually, but it is related to and affected by today's announcement that they will not be living in Britain half the year.
That’s 182.5 days out of Britain.

Last edited:
I agree. Up to now I've felt sympathic toward Harry & Meghan but this is awful, truly awful.

Yes, absolutely.

I quite often defended Meghan or Meghan & Harry, usually gave them the benefit of the doubt, but now I’m looking at some things in a different light.

Do they get to keep their titles?

Yes. They are going to still be in the UK part of the time and involved in their patronages and whatever else they will have lined up for them.

LaRae

Yes. They are going to still be in the UK part of the time and involved in their patronages and whatever else they will have lined up for them.

LaRae

We really have no idea what they will do. The Queen could very well have other plans in mind. All we know for now is that Harry and Meghan will be walking away from full time royal duties. Everything thing else is up in the air.

It's from their website (see here) and has been briefly discussed in this topic.

Both funding (being allowed to profit from their endeavors - as Meghan did with The Tig) and media (controlling how they go about the media as celebrities instead of royals) seem to be part of what attracts them in this 'new/progressive way' of doing things.

However, it seems incompatible with royal life even though they themselves it's perfectly fine with still doing royal activities and representing the queen and government abroad.

Last edited:
Usually, but it is related to and affected by today's announcement that they will not be living in Britain half the year.
Of course but in this rapid moving topic, I thought it would be easiest for future reference to move the discussion :flowers:

The way this was handled was truly bizarre, but if you went back five or ten years and told me that a member of the royal family was going to walk away in bizarre fashion, I don't think the who would be the least bit surprising. This is all an echo of things we've been hearing for a long time.

From Dan Wootton, who had the exclusive on the move:

"Their statement has left the Queen “deeply upset” and Charles and William “incandescent with rage”, as it “was not cleared with anyone”. I’m told the recent portrait featuring the trio and Prince George was the final straw."

"A source has told me the couple will now also work on commercial products, explaining: “Make no mistake, Harry and Meghan intend to make a lot of money and start taking commercial deals as soon as possible.”"

"The senior royal source told me the statement “breaks all protocol. This is a declaration of war on the family... Harry and Meghan wanted it their way or the highway.”"

"I’m told Harry and Meghan decided to rush out a statement after learning yesterday that The Sun was about to break the story. In doing so, courtiers say they have “exiled themselves from the royal family”."

:neutral::neutral:

Do you believe she ever intended to go through with it? I certainly don’t.

In hindsight, maybe she was wise not to rush into it.

Curiously though, she has in a way also rejected her home country, hasn’t she ? We don’t hear about any plans to be based part-time in the USA. It is all about Canada , a country where she was once a permanent resident ( by virtue of her job at the time), but where I believe she is not a citizen either ( correct me if I am wrong).

It is weird.

We really have no idea what they will do. The Queen could very well have other plans in mind. All we know for now is that Harry and Meghan will be walking away from full time royal duties. Everything thing else is up in the air.

I'm going by what is being said right now. We can speculate from now till Kingdom come ...all we know is what's been said.

LaRae

"Their statement has left the Queen “deeply upset” and Charles and William “incandescent with rage”, as it “was not cleared with anyone”. I’m told the recent portrait featuring the trio and Prince George was the final straw."

"A source has told me the couple will now also work on commercial products, explaining: “Make no mistake, Harry and Meghan intend to make a lot of money and start taking commercial deals as soon as possible.”"

"The senior royal source told me the statement “breaks all protocol. This is a declaration of war on the family... Harry and Meghan wanted it their way or the highway.”"

"I’m told Harry and Meghan decided to rush out a statement after learning yesterday that The Sun was about to break the story. In doing so, courtiers say they have “exiled themselves from the royal family”."

If this is true (and only time will tell) I will lose all sympathy and respect for Harry and Meghan.

As a longtime monarchist, I fully support Harry & Meghan. I will never forget the wickedness of many, the abuse towards Meghan while she was pregnant. During such a crucial time, there was no thought given about potential harm to her or her baby. And the harm to Harry as his wife & baby were targeted relentlessly.

Shame on everyone that participated in the vile behaviour, shame on those who think it wasn’t a big deal because others have previously been treated poorly by the press. In all my years following the BRF, I’ve never seen anyone who had non-stop abuse while pregnant.

It’s hurtful to see a statement from Buckingham Palace referring to disappointment now, where was that sentiment during the press abuse? I’m so glad the Sussexes have their own website & other communications to provide info to those of us who are interested. As a British expat, now living in Canada, I’m glad the Sussexes found solace here.

I pray the Sussexes will be well & wish them the best in their future!

Rebecca English @RE_DailyMail 10m

Make no mistake, Buckingham Palace are furious about the way Harry and Meghan have handled this.
This couple only raised the issue a week ago and the family said they would work to find a way to help them facilitate what they wanted.

Generally, two weeks notice is a professional courtesy when resigning from a position...

I have serious reservations about using their royal status for profit. When Andrew’s profit making side-line came to light in the recent fiasco, his whole charity was ended. I am appalled.

And if Meghan and Harry were really upset that much by a photo of the Queen and her three direct heirs, then they are delusional.

Why would The Photo with George be particular trigger or “Final straw“? That makes no sense. Being thwarted having exactly what the want all the time and being self important and entitled now that makes sense.

I have serious reservations about using their royal status for profit. When Andrew’s profit making side-line came to light in the recent fiasco, his whole charity was ended. I am appalled.

And if Meghan and Harry were really upset that much by a photo of the Queen and her three direct heirs, then they are delusional.

If this is true, then they are dillusional and in for a rude awakening.

Generally, two weeks notice is a professional courtesy when resigning from a position...

The crucial point is that, having been notified one week ago, the Palace was willing to find an arrangement that would accomodate the Sussexes’s will , but still keep them in the fold under the Firm’s chain of command. As I discussed in a rather detailed post before, I think that would have been difficult both on the UK and on the Canadian sides , but, at least, the Palace was trying to work something out.

But, then, the Sussexes, either because they panicked over The Sun’s story, or because of bad advice, or because they felt they were not getting it their way and wanted to put pressure on the Palace ( out of sheer arrogance really), or all of the above, decided to drop this bombshell today in the worst possible way anyone could think of. I don’t think they deserve any accommodation or goodwill now, but I suspect the RF will try to strike a conciliatory tone nonetheless.

Last edited:
Why does anyone think the media/reporters are accurate in these claims? Seriously ppl..this is the media who have run around making false claims for years about all of them.

LaRae

"Their statement has left the Queen “deeply upset” and Charles and William “incandescent with rage”, as it “was not cleared with anyone”. I’m told the recent portrait featuring the trio and Prince George was the final straw.

If that's true then this truly is nothing more than a temper tantrum of epic proportions thrown by two spoiled brats who saw themselves as far more central and important than they really are. Those were portraits of the Queen and her heirs. Period. They are the future and the continuity of the monarchy. Harry, Meghan, and Archie were never going to be that. They were never the heirs. If the historic portraits showing the Queen with three future generations of monarchs really set them off then they need to be sat down immediately and have it driven home in no uncertain terms that they are not nearly as central to the monarchy as they apparently believe themselves to be.

I think the fact that neither Clarence House nor Kensington Palace have put out statements yet says a lot about how unprepared they were for this

I have been watching the UK Sky News and they have a Press Preview show where they discuss the headline stories from the papers. One of the commentators is saying that this is a worse crisis than Andrew AND that Harry and Meghan are actually republicans (he is a well-known republican). He is scathing about this decisions (well both the commentators are but the republican guy is stronger in condemning Harry and Meghan).

I have also heard some of the press are saying the decision by Harry and Meghan to not use the royal rota of correspondents will backfire on them as the other reporters will continue to get their stories or make them up.

I thought Meghan would either be a treasure or a disaster. Unfortunately, it is the latter.

I knew there was something wrong when they decided that little Archie would have no title. This seemed to me to take away his birthright. I cannot believe that they have made this statement without talking it through with the Queen and Prince Charles.

They seem to want to retain some status within the Royal Family, but to go their own way, do their own thing. I am not sure that they can. It is the Duke of Windsor and Mrs. Simpson all over, I fear.

Perhaps Prince Charles with look again at allowing Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie to take over some of the Royal Duties. The Countess of Wessex will have to work even harder. She and the Duchess of Cornwall are very good examples. (Of course, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge do everything well and must be a support to Prince Charles.)

I just hope that it doesn't seriously affect the Queen's health.

You know this is one of two things.

1. Like everyone says. Tanturming teens.

2. Two people who are actually spinning out of control and need support more than anything else

Because this done calmly would have been a brief statement announcing a resigning from public duties, continuing to be in the family, yaga yaga.

But this is none of those things. It is volatile and quite frankly a little scary. I don't know whether to despair at them or worry about them profoundly.

This is all actually a very good point. It does appear to be boiling down to one of these two options or a terrible combination of the two. I agree that this does very much look like they're spinning completely out of control. Regardless of how you feel about Meghan's family, it's clear that she doesn't come from a background of close family ties, deep loyalty, considering others in addition to oneself, etc. and has very much come from a place of taking care of oneself without worrying about how it impacts others. And Harry has long spoken of his mental health struggles, lack of acceptance about his mother's death, etc. Combined it appears that the two of them may very well be spiraling and bringing out the worst tendencies in each other's personalities/coping mechanisms/etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom