The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 7: Oct. 2022 - Apr. 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
All by all I hope the family will find a way to reconcile. In the end no one has committed a crime or a misdemeanour. It is just a gigantic clash of incompatible characters with lots of complexities.

I hope they find a way to reconcile too but I disagree that no one has committed a misdemeanour. Harry has betrayed and trashed his family in public so how could they ever trust him again? Nobody will want him near them, for fear he'll record their words and actions for his next lucrative project. He's burnt his bridges and I don't know how he could begin to rebuild them.

All by all I hope the family will find a way to reconcile. In the end no one has committed a crime or a misdemeanour. It is just a gigantic clash of incompatible characters with lots of complexities.

Time heals. We shall see. Both sides will have to want it but who knows what the future holds. If the reports are true and Harry and Charles are talking...

I've just been watching some episodes of SUITS.
Rachel ZANE comes across as a really lovely girl; the kind you would like for a best friend. Her clothes, as Rachel ZANE are wonderful!

I just wonder if the real HRH Duchess of Sussex, has some of those lovely qualities, but it all got lost somehow along the way. I could see Rachel ZANE coming to the Coronation; but HRH Duchess of Sussex has chosen not to. Also, Rachel ZANE could teach HRH the Duchess of Sussex a thing or two about fashion style! I like Rachel ZANE; so why do I struggle to like the Duchess of Sussex??

I've just been watching some episodes of SUITS.
Rachel ZANE comes across as a really lovely girl; the kind you would like for a best friend. Her clothes, as Rachel ZANE are wonderful!

I just wonder if the real HRH Duchess of Sussex, has some of those lovely qualities, but it all got lost somehow along the way. I could see Rachel ZANE coming to the Coronation; but HRH Duchess of Sussex has chosen not to. Also, Rachel ZANE could teach HRH the Duchess of Sussex a thing or two about fashion style! I like Rachel ZANE; so why do I struggle to like the Duchess of Sussex??

Because Rachel Zane is just a fictional character while Rachel Meghan the Duchess of Sussex has nothing to do with Rachel Zane. And the styling of the fictional charater was done by the team from the series, while Meghan is her own stylist. :D

I hope they find a way to reconcile too but I disagree that no one has committed a misdemeanour. Harry has betrayed and trashed his family in public so how could they ever trust him again? Nobody will want him near them, for fear he'll record their words and actions for his next lucrative project. He's burnt his bridges and I don't know how he could begin to rebuild them.
Harry believes that the Palace, including his father and brother have betrayed and trashed both he and his beloved wife, Meghan, to provide a lift for the firm when they found themselves under the gun by the media. A brilliant diversionary tactic and one he believes proves their protestations of love and acceptance were all a lie.

It doesn't matter anymore who was right or who was wrong but, forgiveness must surely be given by the King. After all, he's the actual head of the Church of England and if he cannot find it within himself to forgive and extend a hand in peace and love to his own son, then they might as well do away with the Coronation which is, correct me if I am wrong, a purely Christian Rite carried out by the Church of England, within all it's great and ancient rituals. That is, what the BRF church attendance implies is it not? The Christian Bible has more than a few references to the necessity of forgiveness and being hard-hearted will only lay their Christianity bare and wanting in execution.

Last edited:
Harry believes that the Palace, including his father and brother have betrayed and trashed both he and his beloved wife, Meghan, to provide a lift for the firm when they found themselves under the gun by the media. A brilliant diversionary tactic and one he believes proves their protestations of love and acceptance were all a lie.

It doesn't matter anymore who was right or who was wrong but, forgiveness must surely be given by the King. After all, he's the actual head of the Church of England and if he cannot find it within himself to forgive and extend a hand in peace and love to his own son, then they might as well do away with the Coronation which is, correct me if I am wrong, a purely Christian Rite carried out by the Church of England, within all it's great and ancient rituals.

There's a line in the COE liturgy which asks that God "forgive all who truly repent". The Sussexes have not shown any repentance for any of their words or actions at all, even the parts that very much invade family trust and privacy because it made a good anecdote/pettiness and not because it was a true serious complaint. But that's really besides the point. HLM evidently tried to reconcile up to her death and was publicly rebuffed. It was reported that one reason Charles was so upset about "Spare" is that just before it was announced he and Harry had been getting on well but Harry then dropped the bombshell with no warning.

IMHO the BRF have tried to be the bigger, more forgiving people. I'm sure all of them could have done Netflix series, books, interviews about how Harry (and Meghan) has been an absolute arse over the years and disputed and refuted their "recollections" until the cows come home. But they haven't. They've sat back and said publicly that they still consider Harry and Meghan family. They were invited to the coronation, he has not tried to take any titles or status away etc. He has mentioned how proud he is of Harry recently.

Just because he and others apparently don't want to sit down and discuss giving the Sussexes an apology for all their big and petty grievances doesn't mean that they aren't showing love or forgiveness. Also pretty sure they dispute nearly everything the Sussexes have said with "recollections may vary" and even that they were "sorry to learn the Sussexes had been so unhappy" (ie you didn't tell us a lot of this). Everyone is also very aware that the second they try to come to a negotiating table it will be a Netflix series or interview.

Paraphrased from several sources: "forgiveness is a wonderful thing and isn't given because it's earned but because it's needed". I don't think Harry and Meghan believe that they need forgiveness, they certainly haven't asked for it. They have not shown any inclination to accept that *anything* was their fault. Not even "we should have taken things slower after marriage". They've made it clear that they want to do the "forgiving" and others must do the grovelling IMO. So there is little point in sitting down and having a row right now.

Last edited:

It doesn't matter anymore who was right or who was wrong but, forgiveness must surely be given by the King. After all, he's the actual head of the Church of England and if he cannot find it within himself to forgive and extend a hand in peace and love to his own son, then they might as well do away with the Coronation which is, correct me if I am wrong, a purely Christian Rite carried out by the Church of England, within all it's great and ancient rituals. That is, what the BRF church attendance implies is it not? The Christian Bible has more than a few references to the necessity of forgiveness and being hard-hearted will only lay their Christianity bare and wanting in execution.
There are numerous articles that have been dismissed by the palace so this idea that they were left to hung to dry is ridiculous. How have the BRF or the palace trashed Meghan and Harry? This idea that the palace allowed the silly H&M stories to deflect from horrible news stories is laughable because some members of the BRF had negative coverage at that time. Please Harry and Meghan have trashed their families for millions of dollars so they don’t have a leg to stand on.
The coronation does not depend on the whims and whining of Prince Harry. The family have offered olive branches but to no avail.

The BRF have ‘tried to be the bigger, more forgiving people’? Not according to royal biographer Robert Jobson, who dropped this little anecdote that has escaped all over the British media.

https://www.news.com.au/entertainme...d/news-story/67ac5aea1ffd8b8c2eb6e4fa95b5bff0

‘Veteran royal correspondent Robert Jobson claims in his upcoming new book, Our King, that the Princess of Wales felt uncomfortable because of the “ill feeling” between the couples.

“Catherine later admitted to a senior royal that, such was the ill feeling between the two couples, the joint walkabout was one of the hardest things she’d ever had to do,” Jobson writes, per the Daily Mail.’ End quote

How has that story, not met with any denials from BP or KP after it appeared in the Press, helped with family reconciliation?

Last edited:
The BRF have ‘tried to be the bigger, more forgiving people’? Not according to royal biographer Robert Jobson, who dropped this little anecdote that has escaped all over the British media.

https://www.news.com.au/entertainme...d/news-story/67ac5aea1ffd8b8c2eb6e4fa95b5bff0

‘Veteran royal correspondent Robert Jobson claims in his upcoming new book, Our King, that the Princess of Wales felt uncomfortable because of the “ill feeling” between the couples.

“Catherine later admitted to a senior royal that, such was the ill feeling between the two couples, the joint walkabout was one of the hardest things she’d ever had to do,” Jobson writes, per the Daily Mail.’ End quote

How has that story, not met with any denials from BP or KP after it appeared in the Press, helped with family reconciliation?
The BRF probably haven’t responded because they are either unaware of this news or simply don’t care about responding to nonsense. The BRF don’t respond to every single thing and don’t have to. Besides the so called “royal experts” are flip floppers when it suits them and will trash any royal on true or baseless allegations for money and airtime. One expert can be pro-BRF today, then Pro-H&M tomorrow. I highly doubt Kate leaked this alleged quote to the media and what senior royal would leak what Kate allegedly said? I don’t buy what Jobson is selling. Anyways, if Kate said this, I don’t blame her and it is harmless compared to the nasty stuff the Sussexes have put out.

What if it was true? Would you expect them to lie. It was obviously difficult, anybody that watched that as it happened could see there was tension.

Better not to comment than relight the fire. It was wishful thinking there was a truce.

I am really sorry but any trashing and betraying has came from one side, Meghan and Harry.

They did the netflix series, the Oprah interview, SPARE,

The RF / Institution have said very little, whether they should/ could have said more when Meghan was making the headlines in the early days could be debated.

The problem always comes back to what is true.

This is a comment I found in DM (of course). I find it to be one of the most insightful assessments I’ve read about the situation between William and Harry.
I hope it isn’t off topic.

“Every relationship has a breaking point, even familial ones. This conflict is far beyond bad arguments. Their relationship has completely broken down. It is going to be very difficult to resolve and in my opinion it will take a miracle. So many core components of a healthy sibling relationship are gone including mutual respect, honesty, trust.”

The very fact that she had an "ill feeling" but still did the walkabout together is the very proof or trying to forgive. Forgiving isn't about brainwashing yourself to forget the past nor always feeling happy. Its about trying to treat people nicely such as being able to spend time with them politely and don't complain about specific things they did when meeting them.

If someone asks for forgiveness its different case, but Harry and Meghan have not. The reason why Catherine could have an ill feeling meeting them is because they have prior shared private meetings and conversations to others. If there was more assurance it would not happen again it would make meetings easier.

Catherine and William could have refused to do the walkabout but they didn't. Instead, they invited the Sussexes to join them in public, in front of the world's press. Of course Catherine felt uncomfortable and found it very hard to do but she did it so yes, I think that shows an effort to put feelings aside and demonstrate forgiveness. Since then, Harry has trashed Catherine and William in his book so any potential bridges between the couples have had a flame thrower launched at them.

I am not Team Sussex by a long shot but the anecdote that Jobson shared feeds into the Sussex narrative that royals brief against each other. Now of course I don't know who the "senior royal" is who Catherine made the admission to, but unless it was Catherine or William, no other royal should be talking to reporters and writers, or alternatively, making these statements to friends or staffers who in turn relay these tidbits to reporters and writers.

What I am seeing is that Harry is his mother's son, he is unbalanced and messy in his own right, sees himself as the victim and only pays lip service to owning his part in conflicts, nevertheless I think that it is dangerous to not see that there is a measure of validity to some of his grievances.

Jobson wrote a biography on Charles and in that biography he mentions that things were chaotic in the run up to Harry and Meghan's wedding. I think that he mentioned that The Queen had to have a word with Harry over his behavior. That led to other reporters digging and that is how the tiara story came to light, which was the opening salvo in the media pumping out negative stories about the Sussexes, and especially Meghan. My speculation is that the media were likely hearing murmurings or even witnessing incidents involving the Sussexes causing tension and strife with staffers and family members.

My chief suspect regarding the tiara story from the very beginning was Clarence House*, aka Charles and Camilla, due to the fact that it was rooted in the Jobson biography of Prince Charles / King Charles III and another minor incident in the timeframe that the story came out. To be sure at the root of this is the Sussexes actions and Harry and Meghan do not seem to get that. And I believe that in many ways the royals and other players in the institution have taken the high road, but this kind of information represents that one royal is willing to feed information to the media about another royal and that is no bueno in my book, and more importantly the royals and their staffers should know very well by now that this is no bueno and that this practice has been a source of strife in the BRF and relations between family members beyond Harry and Meghan.

From things Harry has said in interviews, I think that Harry has amplified and distorted these "briefings" but I wish that someone in authority (I am looking at you KC3) would step in and say that royals and their staffers should not be giving information to them media about other royals. It is understandable that the royals should have good relations with the media but a line should be drawn when it comes to this practice.

* Regarding the reporting on the tiara incident, again I think it is rooted in Clarence House, but I can also believe that Buckingham Palace could have played a role in providing information to the media, however since Buckingham Palace was involved in the incident, I can believe that when asked they answered questions and/or confirmed information, and while in a perfect world they would have not commented, if that is the case, I don't object as the incident involved BP.

Last edited:

Catherine's a more forgiving person than most, if I were her I wouldn't want to be any where near H&M. And who could blame her?

Forgiveness is one thing, but can you reconcile with someone when there is no trust?

How has that Netflix series, the publication of Spare, all those interviews, the public demand for an (undeserved) apology, all the damage H&M have caused, helped with family reconciliation?

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 7: Oct. 2022 -

Catherine's a more forgiving person than most, if I were her I wouldn't want to be any where near H&M. And who could blame her?

Forgiveness is one thing, but can you reconcile with someone when there is no trust?

How has that Netflix series, the publication of Spare, all those interviews, the public demand for an (undeserved) apology, all the damage H&M have caused, helped with family reconciliation?

I give credit to Catherine (and William) for doing that walkabout with the Sussexes at all. She has grace and class. If she had an “ill feeling” about it, that is no surprise, if this report is indeed accurate. She couldn’t possibly have been looking forward to it.

Everyone knows the two couples don’t get along. I’m sure it was very difficult for her to get through. It was obvious just watching that it was stressful.

In short- IDK how this story came out, but it was frankly stating the obvious IF it is true- the two couples don’t get on, and it was very difficult to get through.

Last edited:
Personally, I applaud Catherine for even agreeing to go on The Walkabout with The Sussex's. First of all the tension, was no surprise to anyone. Not sure why this tidbit is even "newsworthy".

AND this was after the drama of Harry's hard negotiating wth the Family to have Meghan accompany him to the Queens deathbed. So much so, that he missed the Flight deadline to go with William, Edward, Sophie and Andrew.

Speaking of which, I dont believe the Catherine was THAT upset that She couldn't go to The Queens deathbed. The Wales Family had just moved into a new Home. Its was the kids first or second day of School, a NEW School too. And The Queen, the Kids Great Grandmother is on her deathbed. I bet Kate felt her place was with them. To comfort them, on a bewildering day.

She herself was close to her own deceased Grandmother, Dorothy (Carol's Mom). Kate is very family oriented and understanding of The Windsor Family dynamics too. At that point nearly 20 years in, beginning as William's girlfriend. I think this Story is just exaggerated. Or made up.

Same as the other much commentated other Story in Robert Jobson's Book, that Charles told Harry upon being informed of FUTURE marriage plans,
that Charles "couldn't AFFORD to pay for Meghan too". He was said to have stated that he was already providing expenses for Camilla, The then Cambridge Family, and Harry. Give me a break.

I don't believe that for a minute. That would have been a GIANT part of the Oprah Interview ......if true.

Last edited:
Much like others Royal Books thru time, some are much better and truer than others. The allegations and tales in Books that are held to have been accurate in time..... sometimes long - sometimes short..... get debunked.

I really enjoyed Tina Brown's Book, Palace Papers and I liked Tom Bowers Revenge Book too. All dealing with the fallout. I've only seen a few chapters
of Valentine Lows Courtier Book, but all seemed very impressive.

I have no interest to rush out to get in Robert Jobson's Book, I will..... As a summer read, but kinda warily.

Last edited:

IMHO Catherine demonstrated that she is well aware of her duties and her position within the British Royal Family that she was there to participate in the walkabout with the Sussexes. Like any human being, she has her own feelings but was able to put those aside to honor the late Queen.

This is one anecdote, one person (the PoW). In no way are the PoW's feelings, if accurately reported, representative of a lack of forgiveness. Just because something is hard doesn't discount "forgiveness"--we don't know what she and William feel. If she had refused to be seen with M and H, that would have been another story. Forgiveness doesn't mean that all is magically healed.

Its very hard to forgive when people keep on attacking you and show no sign that they felt they did anything wrong or show any signs of wanting any real reconcilation.

My chief suspect regarding the tiara story from the very beginning was Clarence House*, aka Charles and Camilla, due to the fact that it was rooted in the Jobson biography of Prince Charles / King Charles III and another minor incident in the timeframe that the story came out. To be sure at the root of this is the Sussexes actions and Harry and Meghan do not seem to get that. And I believe that in many ways the royals and other players in the institution have taken the high road, but this kind of information represents that one royal is willing to feed information to the media about another royal and that is no bueno in my book, and more importantly the royals and their staffers should know very well by now that this is no bueno and that this practice has been a source of strife in the BRF and relations between family members beyond Harry and Meghan.

* Regarding the reporting on the tiara incident, again I think it is rooted in Clarence House, but I can also believe that Buckingham Palace could have played a role in providing information to the media, however since Buckingham Palace was involved in the incident, I can believe that when asked they answered questions and/or confirmed information, and while in a perfect world they would have not commented, if that is the case, I don't object as the incident involved BP.

Agreed and it has already been done - but so much is in the public that does not come from the palace that I dont think it will make much difference. You cannot blame people for wanting to defend themselves. But i tend to believe there is a reason why it was released - the paperback version of Spare.

Its very hard to forgive when people keep on attacking you and show no sign that they felt they did anything wrong or show any signs of wanting any real reconcilation.

Exactly.

The Sussexes just can't seem to reconcile themselves to the fact that the Waleses are the future King and Queen and will always outrank them, no matter how many books are written or how many TV interviews or documentaries are done.

The temporary wave of popularity they enjoyed at the beginning immediately waned once they were expected to do the hard work like the rest of the royals and they openly complained about that.

The reality of a lifetime relegated to playing second fiddles in the pecking order has made them beyond bitter and prone to striking out at the family members for any and all perceived offenses. There comes a time when you no longer deserve forgiveness when you will never truly be penitent.

Exactly.

The Sussexes just can't seem to reconcile themselves to the fact that the Waleses are the future King and Queen and will always outrank them, no matter how many books are written or how many TV interviews or documentaries are done.

The temporary wave of popularity they enjoyed at the beginning immediately waned once they were expected to do the hard work like the rest of the royals and they openly complained about that.

The reality of a lifetime relegated to playing second fiddles in the pecking order has made them beyond bitter and prone to striking out at the family members for any and all perceived offenses. There comes a time when you no longer deserve forgiveness when you will never truly be penitent.

I agree that that is what they can't reconcile when it comes down to it but I just can't feel sorry for them about that (or Andrew or other spares). There were a small handful of people above them in the pecking order of the entire UK (at least in theory). They were both given important patronages and being set up as "glamorous Commmonwealth/Overseas Couple (a job that they have indicated that they want back recently). No one was asking them to open a community centre in Skegness as their 3rd such regional event of the day ala Anne, Edward, Sophie and the DOG. Some veteran RRs even complained that HLM should have taken Meghan somewhere more glamorous than Merseyside to open a *bridge* - well if it was good enough for HM... With a slimmed down Monarchy it is possible that at some point they'd be one of a group of 5-6 working adults. *And* they also had the ability to spend time in the US if they wanted and as things shook out, the ability to leave without causing a constitutional crisis.

They have never commented on how "unfair" it is that Anne was born 3rd in line, rose to 2nd and was supplanted by her much younger brothers and their children. As far as I can see they love the hierarchy, the only problem they have is that they aren't at the top of it. It also must be a shock to Harry that for years he was the 1st or 2nd most popular royal and now he's 2d or 3rd least popular.

From the previous discussion, from what I see it is the BRF that is sitting rent free in the Sussexes heads taking up a lot of their time one way or another via the only popular way they have to make money if nothing else. I'm sure Catherine did have an "ill feeling" about the walkabout (as did everyone else) but she hasn't tried to make money off her private meetings with Harry and Meghan either.

Last edited:
I agree that that is what they can't reconcile when it comes down to it but I just can't feel sorry for them about that (or Andrew or other spares). There were a small handful of people above them in the pecking order of the entire UK (at least in theory). They were both given important patronages and being set up as "glamorous Commmonwealth/Overseas Couple (a job that they have indicated that they want back recently). No one was asking them to open a community centre in Skegness as their 3rd such regional event of the day ala Anne, Edward, Sophie and the DOG. Some veteran RRs even complained that HLM should have taken Meghan somewhere more glamorous than Merseyside to open a *bridge* - well if it was good enough for HM... With a slimmed down Monarchy it is possible that at some point they'd be one of a group of 5-6 working adults. *And* they also had the ability to spend time in the US if they wanted and as things shook out, the ability to leave without causing a constitutional crisis.

They have never commented on how "unfair" it is that Anne was born 3rd in line, rose to 2nd and was supplanted by her much younger brothers and their children. As far as I can see they love the hierarchy, the only problem they have is that they aren't at the top of it. It also must be a shock to Harry that for years he was the 1st or 2nd most popular royal and now he's 2d or 3rd least popular.

From the previous discussion, from what I see it is the BRF that is sitting rent free in the Sussexes heads taking up a lot of their time one way or another via the only popular way they have to make money if nothing else. I'm sure Catherine did have an "ill feeling" about the walkabout (as did everyone else) but she hasn't tried to make money off her private meetings with Harry and Meghan either.

Could possibly be that The Queen considered the Merseyside bridge the best possible invitation and the highlight of her year. She was long known for her interest in engineering. Anything of that sort she would fish out of the pile that had been rejected on her behave.

And there really isn’t the royals to open community centres anymore.Di opened my local shopping centre. David when he was a Prince opened a library I was once in in Cornwall. Most of their work is on military, public and charitable services. As it should be.

IMO, I think Harry should have decided to bring Archie with him. Lili is too young.

Actually Archie is probably too young to be at the service too, but he could have stayed behind with a nanny at Buckingham Palace much like I believe that younger children of the York sisters and the Tindalls will do that day.

However I do feel very sad for a little boy who is being denied the opportunity to take in the color, sounds and the atmosphere of this very exciting event. His grandfather who was three years old at the last coronation, still has memories that he cherishes.

Last edited:
Regarding the walkabout, I agree with everyone here (almost everyone) that it showed Catherine in a good light rather than bad. That it was awkward was very apparent to everyone, but both she and William did the right thing by inviting the Sussex's to join them. Given the subsequent release of his book and their documentary, I think it for the best that their presence at royal events be kept very low-key. Personally, I don't think their "second place" ranking was as big an issue for Meghan, at least, because her focus was and will naturally be attaining "top rank" in American society.

Harry and Meghan's biggest issue is they can't see that William is different from Harry and can't be treated the same. Yes in many ways they should be but in as many other ways they simply can't be. William is a future King which brings certain obligations, duties and yes, privileges, with it. Harry is not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom