The Duke and Duchess of Sussex to Step Back as Senior Royals: January 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Goodness knows what has happened behind the scenes but they seem to get appallingly bad advice which backfires on them. We now have 'Megxit'. I don't really care about the effect on HMQ or the rest of the family but would have liked to see them battle on, read less press and just be perhaps a bit more humble and continue to do the best they can with the job they were born into.

Last edited:
Anyone have a thought on this? The Mirror's political editor Kevin Maguire said on Sky News the true reason for the falling out "couldn't be discussed for legal reasons." That was a rather odd comment to make.

I think the real reason for the falling out will always remain secret. No one will want to risk getting sued to report it.

Anyone have a thought on this? The Mirror's political editor Kevin Maguire said on Sky News the true reason for the falling out "couldn't be discussed for legal reasons." That was a rather odd comment to make.

Well that's interesting. Could be that he's avoiding any kind of speculation because he doesn't want to be accused of slander and he's just being overly cautious. Could be that we'll see a lot of very interesting information come out over the next few days or weeks. It sounds very ominous and it certainly could be some major bombshell that will rock the monarchy or it could just be an overabundance of caution. But now I'm definitely watching the headlines...

Exit Andrew, put out to pasture in disgrace. Now this mess.

What a miserable and depressing winding down to the long, illustrious reign of Queen Elizabeth II.:sad:

I sound like a hater, but I've been a big fan and have defended them time and time again. But now, with this move, I can't feel the same about them. From the disrespectful way they sprang this on the RF, to the horrid PR jargon of their announcement, to their apparent desire to have their cake and eat it, too, I feel so let down. If I were British, I think I'd feel angry.

Harry strikes me as a follower, and I get a sense that this is led by Meghan.

(I love how Meghan plans to "collaborate" with the Queen? Big of her!)

It's not all on Meghan.
Harry is a grown man, and he must take responsibility.

I think they'll both regret this action in the end, but they have made their decision. However, if they are out, then they're out. No funding, either from the grant or from the duchy. If they truly want to be independent, then be independent.

It's sad news for the Queen though. At her advanced age, it's too bad she can't have some stability in her family life, instead of one difficulty after another.

What a miserable and depressing winding down to the long, illustrious reign of Queen Elizabeth II.:sad:

I honestly think that's the worst part of all of this. The monarchy will continue on without Harry and Meghan or Andrew. In the grand scheme of things their exits are not game-changers. But, after the messes of the 90s the Queen and the Firm as a whole have worked so hard to create a successful, happy, well-functioning system and overall appeared to have done exactly that. Granted, there will always be small bumps and wobbles, but overall things have really gone pretty swimmingly over the last 20ish years or so. And now this. Just as Her Majesty's reign is winding down and inevitably coming into it's last years. It's such a shame to see it end on these notes and really does make all of these players involved in these messes look disturbingly self-absorbed, short-sighted, and disrespectful.

Very well put. :flowers:
It does seem as if they want the perks and privileges, but not the mundane
tasks that make up the lion's share of royal duties.

Also- I don't believe the public will agree to pay security costs, etc. under these circumstances.

It wouldn't surprise me if they end like the Duke and Duchess of Windsor.

I was just thinking they will end of like the Duke and Duchess of Windsor. Will they wait for people to invite them to places? Where will they live?

Prince Harry is currently suing the Mirror & Sun so those ‘legal reasons’ could also be tabloid fodder?

Curiously though, she has in a way also rejected her home country, hasn’t she ? We don’t hear about any plans to be based part-time in the USA. It is all about Canada , a country where she was once a permanent resident ( by virtue of her job at the time), but where I believe she is not a citizen either ( correct me if I am wrong).

It is weird.

Yes, I agree, it is weird. I suspect it has to do with her friendship with Jessica Mulroney.

I am not eager to see Meghan come here to Canada. I did feel somewhat sympathetic to Meghan at the beginning, but I also sensed she was seeking celebrity more than anything else. I've noticed over the years that the younger royals have been portrayed as celebrities in the media, especially in the U.S., where there is no monarchy, so this is how Meghan viewed royal life. She now apparently is going to use her new royal title as a platform to be a celebrity influencer.

I love royal history, but I can't help but wonder about the relevance of the royals when the majority of the world can't distinguish them from any other celebrity, and even those who marry into the royal family (like Meghan) sees things this way. It seems like an inevitable path to the demise of royalty.

I foresee an aimless existence yearning to be recognised by LA royalty or some other pseudo form of celebrity status. In fact, this is turning into David II - although the Windsors probably had more funds available to them.

I also feel Meghan wants to be recognized as a celebrity, but I don't know how she thinks that's going to happen in Canada. We don't have celebrities here! Her friend Jessica Mulroney is portrayed in the media as having some level of fame, but hardly anyone here knew who she was before Meghan.

Last edited:
I was just thinking they will end of like the Duke and Duchess of Windsor. Will they wait for people to invite them to places? Where will they live?

They also wanted freedom from the constraints of the family but expected to continue with the perks. That didn't work out well.

Exit Andrew, put out to pasture in disgrace. Now this mess.

It certainly is sad, and at a time when The Crown has been reviving interest in the history of the Queen's reign. I wonder how the show will portray recent events. :ermm:

I wrote just a few weeks ago that Andrew stepping down from public life would set a precedent for Harry and Meghan in the future...I guess this happened far sooner than I thought.

There are some parallels, because as the second sons, both Andrew and Harry had less income and less importance to the succession than their older brothers. Andrew tried to find a role for himself and a way of making extra money, and it seems Harry is going down the same route.

This certainly sets the stage for a very streamlined monarchy in the future, making Charles' life easier in that regard (if that's really what he wants, as reported).

I don't think it is that surprising that Meghan doesn't have plans to base herself in LA. Why? She hasn't lived there in almost decade. That is where her mother lives and where she was raised but it hasn't been in *home* in a very long time. That is not a diss, that is just a reality.

I haven't lived in my hometown in 16 years.

I honestly think that's the worst part of all of this. The monarchy will continue on without Harry and Meghan or Andrew. In the grand scheme of things their exits are not game-changers. But, after the messes of the 90s the Queen and the Firm as a whole have worked so hard to create a successful, happy, well-functioning system and overall appeared to have done exactly that. Granted, there will always be small bumps and wobbles, but overall things have really gone pretty swimmingly over the last 20ish years or so. And now this. Just as Her Majesty's reign is winding down and inevitably coming into it's last years. It's such a shame to see it end on these notes and really does make all of these players involved in these messes look disturbingly self-absorbed, short-sighted, and disrespectful.

Truth, but on ultimately I think they’ll be be ok. The Queen has Charles, William, Kate, Anne, Edward, etc.. - and they’ll all support and love her. Harry and Meaghan will do their own thing, and maybe this makes it easier in the end for everyone else as they don’t have to deal with the constant dramas.

I don’t like to repeat myself , but, in the old days, everything would be easier. Harry would be sent to Canada for 5 years or so as Governor General and he and Meghan could be King and Queen ( or Viceroy and Vicereine) of their little realm.

Nowadays, , however, the Commonwealth is a very loose association and more of a cultural one than anything else ( it may change following Brexit, but not so fast ). Harry is seen primarily as a British prince and I believe the British people (the UK posters may correct me if I am wrong) expect that his commitment be primarily to the UK. So I am not sure how they would take Harry and Meghan living part-time in Canada although I accept that is something the couple was trying to negotiate with the Palace before this news broke and the twitter announcement came.

On the other hand, I don’t know how the Canadians would take having Harry and Meghan there on a part-time basis either. If they stayed as private citizens, I suppose it would be perfectly fine, but if Harry sought a public role for himself and his wife, what would that be ? Would he be an accredited UK diplomat in Canada ? The Canadian constitution assigns a role to Elizabeth II ( she is the Queen of Canada) , but assigns no role to any other member of the Royal Family, not even the Prince of Wales,. They are merely successors to the Crown, but as I discussed in another thread related to the Perth Agreement and the Succession to the Crown Act, the Canadian courts have just ruled that the succession law is part of British law, rather than Canadian law or the Canadian constitution. In fact, I don’t even know if Harry has Canadian citizenship ( I believe the Queen does, but other royals do not ?).

When Harry and Meghan visited Canada House, I sensed there was something odd going on, but , like other posters, I was rebuffed for saying that. In hindsight, it is clear that the Sussexes ‘ plans for an active Canadian role were behind it and it might even look like that there was some coordination with the Canadian government on their Canada plan. I doubt , however, that the High Commissioner or the government in Ottawa were aware that the Queen or the Palace were on the dark about that or, at least, were not on the same page as the Sussexes yet.

I would love to hear a Canadian perspective on the topic.

Life long Canadian here, and I really hope this isn't their plan.

I think there would be a honeymoon period with the Canadian media and general public for a couple of months and then things would start to sour, especially if there was a question of the couple getting any sort of official preferential treatment, (which of course they would), and MOST especially if said preferential treatment was financed with tax payer money. I do not think the public would stand for funding the couple's extensive security apparatus for months out of every year, potentially for many years. So, unless Harry and Meghan were willing to pay for ALL of their own expenses and live quietly as private citizens while in Canada, I think any sort of long term residency here is kind of a bad idea.

Also, the British royals aren't part of the fabric of daily Canadian life. I think if you asked the average Canadian what he/she thought of The Queen, you'd get a range of answers, but everyone would at least know who you meant. If you asked someone what he or she thought of "your royal family" I'd bet the majority of people, even those with a solid grasp of Canadian government, would take some time to even begin to think of who you might be talking about. The Queen, (or our Queen, if you must), is already represented by The Governor General, so having Harry and Meghan come over here in some sort of official or semi-official capacity - even if they represent the Queen only occasionally - would be both odd and redundant. It would also put the BRF, and our association with it, under much closer scrutiny than it is now. Right now we see them at their best every few years when they come on an official visit and then they leave and most people completely lose interest until the next time. This is the ideal amount of exposure, IMO, because it means the royals aren't here long enough to become a political issue.

Truth, but on ultimately I think they’ll be be ok. The Queen has Charles, William, Kate, Anne, Edward, etc.. - and they’ll all support and love her. Harry and Meaghan will do their own thing, and maybe this makes it easier in the end for everyone else as they don’t have to deal with the constant dramas.

Completely agreed on all points. But it's still such a shame that instead of reveling in the successes and happiness of her family the Queen is instead dealing with drama and messes during what should be a time of great satisfaction, calm, and maybe a bit of sentimentality.

I think there would be a honeymoon period with the Canadian media and general public for a couple of months and then things would start to sour, especially if there was a question of the couple getting any sort of official preferential treatment.

Yes...this would not go over well. Justin Trudeau has been criticized for taking selfies instead of doing his job, trying to curry fame. He's not as popular as he was, but he's still the elected leader. I don't think Canadians would have much love for funding unelected royals who just decided to come to Canada unasked and do the same round of selfies and photo opportunities as Trudeau. The monarchy is not a controversial topic in Canada, but Harry and Meghan coming here might just ensure that it becomes one!

As a longtime monarchist, I fully support Harry & Meghan. I will never forget the wickedness of many, the abuse towards Meghan while she was pregnant. During such a crucial time, there was no thought given about potential harm to her or her baby. And the harm to Harry as his wife & baby were targeted relentlessly.

Shame on everyone that participated in the vile behaviour, shame on those who think it wasn’t a big deal because others have previously been treated poorly by the press. In all my years following the BRF, I’ve never seen anyone who had non-stop abuse while pregnant.

It’s hurtful to see a statement from Buckingham Palace referring to disappointment now, where was that sentiment during the press abuse? I’m so glad the Sussexes have their own website & other communications to provide info to those of us who are interested. As a British expat, now living in Canada, I’m glad the Sussexes found solace here.

I pray the Sussexes will be well & wish them the best in their future!

Totally agree. I still think it has been handled a bit poorly though.

Completely agreed on all points. But it's still such a shame that instead of reveling in the successes and happiness of her family the Queen is instead dealing with drama and messes during what should be a time of great satisfaction, calm, and maybe a bit of sentimentality.

Agreed....and that’s what infuriates me about Harry and Meghan. They come off as spoiled, temperamental, entitled and selfish. It’s already been a rough go for the Queen what with Andrew; you’d think that the Sussexes would want to be there for her, make things easier for her...She doesn’t even have Philip at her side most of the time.

Has anyone gone on sussexroyal.com and read the links or just followed the tabloid harangue? It's a Q and A to answer questions on the funding, media , Commonwealth, Community and the Monarchy. The Sussexes aren't giving up their titles , otherwise their joint monogram with the coronet wouldn't be on the website. If the queen pulls their titles and Andrew keeps his (and his issues are a 1000 x worse) the optics would be bad.

Has anyone gone on sussexroyal.com and read the links or just followed the tabloid harangue? It's a Q and A to answer questions on the funding, media , Commonwealth, Community and the Monarchy. The Sussexes aren't giving up their titles , otherwise their joint monogram with the coronet wouldn't be on the website. If the queen pulls their titles and Andrew keeps his (and his issues are a 1000 x worse) the optics would be bad.

The difference is Andrew isn’t a working royal any longer. The Sussex seem to want to have one foot in and foot out of that world. I’m not sure how that would work. Plus, they could use they’re titles to make money. This could cause issues. What if they went on QVC to sell cookware. Could you imagine? I think we’re entering into a grey area.

However, I don't really believe that Andrew ever tried to dictate to the Queen or the Firm how it would all go nor do I believe that he ever tried to play the "my way or the highway" game or force the monarchy into a corner to try to get his way. Andrew screwed up massively and both he and his daughters will pay the price now and for years to come. But I can't imagine this game that Harry and Meghan are trying to play will go over well with the Queen, particularly not after she acted swiftly and decisively where Andrew was concerned. She's a pretty smart cookie and trying to goad her into allowing their every whim just to save face and make the palace look good won't work. I'd say the next few days will be very, very interesting and while they may keep their titles because, if I understand it correctly, it's a major undertaking to remove them, their HRH's are at the Queen's sole discretion and a whole other matter. So while they may remain the Duke and Duchess of Sussex so long as they don't renounce them (and they won't you can be sure) they may not remain HRH's for much longer, particularly if they've "poked the bear" one too many times.

Dianna, Sarah, now Meghan. It seems the BRF can't accommodate modern married in females well. Only Kate has survived, and she like someone from the 1950's who never worked prior to marriage.

As a Canadian I can tell you I would never support funding for any un-elected couple. Especially this couple who are so spoiled and entitled as to think that they can just come to Canada and live here because they can't make things work for them the way they want to in the UK. They are disappointing and embarrassing. They could have chosen to step away quietly but instead they are loud and obnoxious with their statement and website. Their statement makes it obvious that they are looking to make money off of the Sussex name without her majesty's consent.

Dianna, Sarah, now Meghan. It seems the BRF can't accommodate modern married in females well. Only Kate has survived, and she like someone from the 1950's who never worked prior to marriage.

I suppose that's one way to look at it. Or, conversely, she's the only one who managed to adapt and thrive and that may be due in large part to her stable family background and long relationship prior to marriage that gave her time to feel more comfortable with the pressures, the press, the family, and the system as a whole. In fact, every single one of these things could also be said about Sophie. None of the other three had or gave themselves the time, the stability, etc.

Last edited:
Perhaps he has been looking at what his life could be like as the second son of a monarch. I don’t agree with the method they took, but I cannot help but think that the picture of their future showed an uphill battle of epic proportions. When is the last time anything positive was said about Andrew, or any member of his family? Not even including the Epstein mess. I hope they are happy, and as involved with the family as much as each side is copacetic. I don’t think any of us can comprehend what that goldfish bowl can be like to exist in.

https://www.canada.ca/en/canadian-heritage/services/royal-family/members-royal-family.html

Only the Queen has a constitutional role in Canada but Harry and Meghan are most definitely part of the Canadian Royal Family.

It is hard to say how it will go. Royal visits are popular in Canada. The big tours get lots of press but we also have numerous small scale visits. Several members of the family are involved with various charities, regiments etc.

You don't hear people complain about the cost of Royal tours too much in Canada, and we do foot the bill. In general, Canadians don't complain about the cost of public officials a great deal unless it is seen as extravagant. We had one Governor General a few years ago who was seen as being a bit spendy.

If Harry and Meghan were able to embrace Canadian culture and get involved with some local causes it might work.

Sophie has done just fine as well-she learned her role in the Firm.
Something Diana, Sarah and apparently now Meghan, couldn’t or wouldn’t do.
And Sophie worked, in fact she owned her own company.

Sophie is doing well! Plus Kate worked before marriage.

I suppose that's one way to look at it. Or, conversely, she's the only one who managed to adapt and thrive and that may be due in large part to her stable family background and long relationship prior to marriage that gave her time to feel more comfortable with the pressures, the press, the family, and the system as a whole. None of the other three had or gave themselves the time, the stability, etc.

Sophie also had a stable family life growing up. And she and Edward were together a long time prior to marrying.
You are right, that seems to make a huge difference in the success or failure.
Edit to add-I see you added Sophie to your post after I replied about Sophie.?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom