Duchess of Sussex: Future Duties, Roles and Responsibilities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
FYI, Bryony called it a "small project" not big. This is why I wonder if it is in connection to Heads Together. Here is the quote.

"A small project she has been working on will hopefully launch in the next few months, and in the meantime she plans to tour around the country meeting small organisations and working closely with the charities that she could potentially become a patron."

Another section related to her BTS work.

The former Ms Markle has been in close contact with representatives of The Royal Foundation, and has had endless private meetings with people who work for the charities that it supports - including, a couple of months ago, myself. The woman I met in February was a captivating combination of sassy, smart and sweet - we discussed yoga, mental health, the work of Heads Together, and her passion for encouraging women and young girls (the website of the royal family was updated yesterday with an entry that noted the Duchess is “proud to be a woman and a feminist”, and it would not surprise me if much of her work going forward was female-focused). Like most people who have met the Duchess, I left her feeling ever-so slightly spellbound - not to mention impressed with the genuine strength of her convictions and commitment to good causes.

“One of the first things she did in the New Year was to come and get under the skin of The Royal Foundation”, said David Wiseman, who is Head of Armed Forces Programmes. “She wanted to find out what we do there because in the not-too-distant future we’re going to be working for her as well. One of the first things she did was to come in to the office and get a good briefing. She very kindly offered to help with judging for The Endeavour Fund Awards [which celebrates the achievements of servicemen and women who have been wounded, injured or sick]. When she came in she really wanted to understand what we do and how she can get involved. Straight after that briefing she got stuck right in. She is a huge part of Harry’s life obviously, and has an impact on his work, but now she can do her own things too.”

Full article: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/life/meghan-cant-wait-get-started-also-keen-get-things-right/

So it seems Meghan will be quite busy in the upcoming months which I'm sure includes building her permanent staff before they start their official tours.

Last edited:
The royals basically shutdown for the summer. The Queen goes to Balmoral and that’s usually it.

Interviewing people for private secretary, planning for the visit to Australia and NZ, announcing a ‘big project’ in addition to patronages is a pretty ambitious schedule for the short term.

They shutdown in the late summer. June and July are busy months.

I’m looking forward to seeing what’s ahead for the Sussex’s.

Samantha Cohen is filling in for both of them during the summer. But Meghan will need her own private secretary plus I’d imagine an assistant private secretary.

I maybe wrong but I thought a reporter said they’re be no announcements for at least 6 months. I’ll have to look who said it.

From what I can find, that timeline (6 months) is on par with Kate, who announced her first 4 charities by January 2012.

Last edited by a moderator:
FYI, Bryony called it a "small project" not big. This is why I wonder if it is in connection to Heads Together. Here is the quote.

"A small project she has been working on will hopefully launch in the next few months, and in the meantime she plans to tour around the country meeting small organisations and working closely with the charities that she could potentially become a patron."

Oops, my bad. It’s been information overload, must have misremembered it. Regardless, I expect a full latter part of the year for the couple. Omid Scobie did an interview with Elle and it was talked about that Meghan has worked her entire life and used to a demanding schedule. So it’s unlikely she’ll be staying home and eat bonbons. I’m sure the couple will sneak away to get some alone time here and there, but I suspect there will still be a lot of work.

As for Samantha Cohen, from everything I’ve read, the post is at least for six months. That plenty of time to interview for a private secretary. It’s not going to take up all six months. She’ll still be working during that time. And Amy Pickerill will likely have an official position on her team, so there is someone already there. Like Meghan said, she can multitask.

I highly doubt that anyone at KP would commitment to no announcement for six months. That’s just quite silly and unrealistic.

There’s a number of different things that contribute to Meghan ‘hitting the ground running’

Harry is a full time royal and his wife, no matter who she was, would be expected to be full time also.

KP is a fully functioning court with staff and PR people, it’s own social media etc. None of that existed 7 years ago

Being based in London also helps with the logistics of royal engagements.

So there’s an expectation that Harry and Meghan need to shoulder some of the work right from the start.

From the Duke & Duchess of Sussex General News thread -- bringing the conversation here as advised:

Quite true as you itemize. But it's also true that Meghan is exceptionally well prepared to 'hit the ground running' as a working royal due to her academic training in international relations as well as her professional career in the public eye, and her previous humanitarian work with UN Women and World Vision Canada.

Plus, KP has mentioned Meghan's hands-on input in researching and preparing for the future projects she will take on. As well, it was announced after the engagement that Meghan fully embraced the opportunities to learn all she can about her new country in the months leading up to her nuptials (at the same time that she and Harry were also involved in logistical planning for their wedding). Not everyone is capable of taking all of this on with the ease thus far demonstrated by HRH Meghan Duchess of Sussex.

Last edited:
I'm really hoping that Meghan will have a role with the Platform for Girls' Education that Boris Johnson announced at CHOGM. It seemed like a good fit given her previous World Vision projects in Rwanda and India were both inherently about removing impediments to education. It also aligns well with H&M's Commonwealth focus.

On a slightly separate note, I was glad to see that Meghan's affiliation with Myna Mahilia remains strong despite cutting ties with World Vision. I remember all the speculation that she wouldn't even go on the trip once her relationship with Harry was outed. Will be interesting to see whether she continues to be an unofficial mentor or whether a more formal relationship is established.

It also aligns well with H&M's Commonwealth focus.

What Commonwealth focus? Because for now the only thing I can find were flowers on her veil. Just because it's speculated doesn't mean it's true.

From the Duke & Duchess of Sussex General News thread -- bringing the conversation here as advised:

Quite true as you itemize. But it's also true that Meghan is exceptionally well prepared to 'hit the ground running' as a working royal due to her academic training in international relations as well as her professional career in the public eye, and her previous humanitarian work with UN Women and World Vision Canada.

Plus, KP has mentioned Meghan's hands-on input in researching and preparing for the future projects she will take on. As well, it was announced after the engagement that Meghan fully embraced the opportunities to learn all she can about her new country in the months leading up to her nuptials (at the same time that she and Harry were also involved in logistical planning for their wedding). Not everyone is capable of taking all of this on with the ease thus far demonstrated by HRH Meghan Duchess of Sussex.

Just want to point out that a lot of people wouldn't know where to start if they haven't had the track record she previously had. There likely would be much more background work to figure out which issues she wants to start with. Aides can throw out ideas, but it is ultimately the royal that decides which issue to take on to an extent. Meghan, having done a lot of work similar to this in the past, has prepared her to begin her royal life much further down the line than someone who perhaps haven't done as much humanitarian work in the past.

On top of that, it also helps that this woman is used to the workplace. Some might scoff at this, but being used to working long hours and knowing how to take initiatives, rather than waiting to be given something to do, are important skills that not everyone naturally possesses.

What Commonwealth focus? Because for now the only thing I can find were flowers on her veil. Just because it's speculated doesn't mean it's true.

Harry has been appointed as Commonwealth Youth Ambassador and he is the President of the Queen's Commonwealth Trust. He made it very clear that this is something Meghan will undertake with him in his speech. And that's why a lot of us weren't shocked when her veil had flowers representing all of the Commonwealth countries.

Last edited:
Harry has been appointed as Commonwealth Youth Ambassador and he is the President of the Queen's Commonwealth Trust. He made it very clear that this is something Meghan will undertake with him in his speech. And that's why a lot of us weren't shocked when her veil had flowers representing all of the Commonwealth countries.
As I said, speculation.

As I said, speculation.

How is it speculation when Harry has been appointed by the Queen and he has said it out of his mouth that his wife will take this on with him?

The devil will be in details. We don’t even know how much Harry will be involved, let alone Meghan. Yes she will accompany him in his role but I think once we know more about it, we’ll have a better handle on things.

The initial reports that they’ll be globe trotting the world probably aren’t accurate.

Number one, who’s paying. Most Commonwealth countries aren’t wealthy and number two is optics. No matter how good a cause people think this is, many Brits view this sort of thing as just glorified holidays. It got Prince Andrew into trouble.

So without knowing how active Harry will be, it’s really a guess about Meghan.

Plus she’ll probably have interests independent of Harry and I think at least initially, her advisors will want her focusing on Britain, the country paying her bills, rather than racking up frequent flyer miles jetting around the world.

How is it speculation when Harry has been appointed by the Queen and he has said it out of his mouth that his wife will take this on with him?

Agreed. This isn't even up for debate. Feel free to check the tape. Harry's on record multiple times. :ermm:

The devil will be in details. We don’t even know how much Harry will be involved, let alone Meghan. Yes she will accompany him in his role but I think once we know more about it, we’ll have a better handle on things.

We know that Harry will have the two Commonwealth positions mentioned up thread. How he and Meghan choose to carve out those roles remains to be seen, but I don't know how they could state that youth and the Commonwealth will be a big part of their focus any more clearly. They've been talking about it since the engagement interview.

Last edited:

The initial reports that they’ll be globe trotting the world probably aren’t accurate.

Number one, who’s paying. Most Commonwealth countries aren’t wealthy and number two is optics. No matter how good a cause people think this is, many Brits view this sort of thing as just glorified holidays. It got Prince Andrew into trouble.

So without knowing how active Harry will be, it’s really a guess about Meghan.

Plus she’ll probably have interests independent of Harry and I think at least initially, her advisors will want her focusing on Britain, the country paying her bills, rather than racking up frequent flyer miles jetting around the world.
This. Exactly this. I agree with every word.

We know that Harry will have the two Commonwealth positions mentioned up thread. How he and Meghan choose to carve out those roles remains to be seen, but I don't know how they could state that youth and the Commonwealth will be a big part of their focus any more clearly. They've been talking about it since the engagement interview.
Because things change. Because how people view certain things does matter to the RF. Because DOS could get pregnant very soon and not be up for "globetrotting" with her husband.

I do believe she should start small and local and maybe in years work up to the bigger things.

Because things change. Because how people view certain things does matter to the RF. Because DOS could get pregnant very soon and not be up for "globetrotting" with her husband.

I do believe she should start small and local and maybe in years work up to the bigger things.

Yes I'm sure she'll initially take on existing projects within The Royal Foundation and local patronages. But I just don't think it'll take years to build up to working on CW projects. There was no need for her to attend CHOGM or Commonwealth Day services if that was the case. I'll save speculation on what type of working mother Meghan will be until she's actually a mother.

Yes I'm sure she'll initially take on existing projects within The Royal Foundation and local patronages. But I just don't think it'll take years to build up to working on CW projects. There was no need for her to attend CHOGM or Commonwealth Day services if that was the case. I'll save speculation on what type of working mother Meghan will be until she's actually a mother.

Agreed. There is no reason why she can only do one or the other. Multitasking is a beautiful thing.

Meghan has the advantage of having lived a full life before she met Harry. She appears to be a hard worker from a hard-working family. Her university training and previous work experience have prepared her well for big roles, eventually. I personally don't think "eventually" will be years from now. And as extensions of the head of state, it makes sense that QEII's children and grandchildren would perform some of those duties.

IMO, Meghan is still in the process of working out how to meld who she is with her new role, without losing herself. The fact that she has 'hit the ground running' in all aspects of what's expected of her as Duchess of Sussex, is truly remarkable. This outing with the Queen less than a month after marrying is unprecedented. Meghan's ease and her ability to step right up to going on royal engagements (first with Prince Harry, and now with the Queen) is obviously due to the fact that she's in her late thirties, she knows who she is as a woman, and she's had her own independent career and success as an actor, a businesswoman and an outspoken advocate for causes that are dear to her, prior to joining the royal family.

That. Exactly thats' what I think, too!

IMO, Meghan is still in the process of working out how to meld who she is with her new role, without losing herself. The fact that she has 'hit the ground running' in all aspects of what's expected of her as Duchess of Sussex, is truly remarkable. This outing with the Queen less than a month after marrying is unprecedented. Meghan's ease and her ability to step right up to going on royal engagements (first with Prince Harry, and now with the Queen) is obviously due to the fact that she's in her late thirties, she knows who she is as a woman, and she's had her own independent career and success as an actor, a businesswoman and an outspoken advocate for causes that are dear to her, prior to joining the royal family.
Perfectly said...:flowers:

Last edited:
I'm not sure this was previously posted but I just saw this article published last month that discusses Meghan's work on menstrual hygiene and how she is helping to end the stigma and amplify the cause. It's a good read and includes a couple of pictures from her trip to India that I hadn't seen.

https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Wellness...ssue-menstrual-hygiene-care/story?id=55409921

Yes her highlighting the issue really helped increase conversation about this issue.

'A strong and articulate champion' indeed. Thanks for posting this, Abigail. Good on Meghan for promoting this cause, something I'm sure she will continue to do. In spite of the issue not being very much spoken of its clear that this is vital in ensuring that girls continue their education and take part in the life of their communities.

'A strong and articulate champion' indeed. Thanks for posting this, Abigail. Good on Meghan for promoting this cause, something I'm sure she will continue to do. In spite of the issue not being very much spoken of its clear that this is vital in ensuring that girls continue their education and take part in the life of their communities.

Given the amount of sexism not only in the US but also the UK, it was a gutsy move. The UK media tried to shame her for daring to discuss this topic.

I’m paraphrasing but during their engagement interview, Tom Brady mention that charity should begin at home. The World is a big place and Britain has more than its fare share of problems.

I really hope while Meghan is trying to change the world, she doesn’t forget the neighbourhood

I’m paraphrasing but during their engagement interview, Tom Brady mention that charity should begin at home. The World is a big place and Britain has more than its fare share of problems.

I really hope while Meghan is trying to change the world, she doesn’t forget the neighbourhood

William, Charles, Harry, and Camilla are all involved with conservation abroad.

Many people realize that while charity starts at home, that humanity crosses all borders. And our desire to help people shouldn't be limited by narrow views.

Its one thing I prefer about the continental royals. We see more activity outside ones own country. We see royals involved with the UN and other international groups.

Meghan is also a princess of the Commonwealth by marriage. And not all the countries in the Commonwealth are as prosperous. I could see Harry and Meghan having a huge focus on the commonwealth realms in their work.

I'm not sure this was previously posted but I just saw this article published last month that discusses Meghan's work on menstrual hygiene and how she is helping to end the stigma and amplify the cause. It's a good read and includes a couple of pictures from her trip to India that I hadn't seen.

https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Wellness/...ry?id=55409921

This hasn't been. But last year, when the article she wrote about the cause was published on International women's day, it was talked about here.

https://www.vanityfair.com/style/2017/03/meghan-markle-international-womens-day-essay
https://people.com/royals/inside-meghan-markles-empowering-trip-to-india-for-women-and-girls/

It is an important topic to spread, and one that few people will. Its one of those 'less popular' titles. I hope Meghan continues with women's issues both in the UK and abroad, commonwealth and beyond.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion of course :flowers: but foreign royals dabbling in the US is questionable. Will depend on how it is done, but royal noblesse oblige might look a tad strange in the US. Meghan needs to keep on keeping on. She is letting go of the US, these gestures from her royal status should not be made imo. ;)

My only criticism of the Duchess of Sussex...I hope she don’t continue to follow William, Catherine and Harry’s way of giving these weak, tired and shy royal waves. They all wave to the people like they’re scared to wave at them. Wave to the people with confidence. Learn from the late Queen Mother on how to do this. The lady was a pro from day one on the royal stage.

When all the world's a stage and we're living in a global community, charity work can be done in the global 'hood. :D

With instant communication these days and the ability to reach millions more than ever before, to not take advantage of that would be like putting on blinders and having tunnel vision.

Most local humanitarian issues have global impact. Look at what Charles is doing with the issue of plastic in oceans. He used his platform to ring the alarm and now the issue is gaining traction in the US of all places.

Meghan can do both and judging by the reception in Cheshire I bet she sees the value in doing the "Bread and Butter" along with the global platform issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom