The Duchess of Cambridge as Royal Patron of East Anglia’s Children’s Hospices

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure I'd grab a child who's only just met me a few minutes before. Catch her, and scare her? Or offend her mother? I've only watched the video once, but didn't the child say "no" and turn away?

I really don't think she was very effusive I had caught the child in my lap rigth away, maybe she could't....I don't kow...but to me she was not natural and she didn't gave that child the attention she wants...

I'm not sure I'd grab a child who's only just met me a few minutes before. Catch her, and scare her? Or offend her mother? I've only watched the video once, but didn't the child say "no" and turn away?

Did we watch the same video? I saw Kate connecting with the children and parents, especially the little girl who kept hugging her at the end of the video.

I agree she wasn't effusive. But, I think it was a nice visit, despite that hair being everywhere. Nice to see a very ill child being so cheerful.

You know, often times calm and warm stranger is much less scary for small kids, esp. frail ones, than a some one who blasts in and descends on them with effusiveness.

I really don't think she was very effusive I had caught the child in my lap rigth away, maybe she could't....I don't kow...but to me she was not natural and she didn't gave that child the attention she wants...

If Catherine had pursued the attention of the little girl, the visit would have become about Catherine proving that children love her. I think she acted very appropriately by focusing on bringing attention to the program. It also gave her the chance to meet the parents and other children.

Also, as others have said, attempting to force herself on the child may have backfired and made the girl afraid. It's usually best to let children come to you in their own time.

She, like Diana, has a wonderful, easy way with children...so natural and down to earth. I think she has grown so confident in her role. Good for her!

Last edited:
I thought Catherine was trying to stop the very cute little one interrupting the girl in the wheelchair that she was talking to. Little cute one was showing off, lets be honest!

Did we watch the same video? I saw Kate connecting with the children and parents, especially the little girl who kept hugging her at the end of the video.

Of course they didn't. Consider the source and put on Ignore. I only wish one of the features of the upgrade to the App, had been that whenever someone on your Ignore list was quoted by someone else, that the quoted portion was also blacked out.

Catherine handled the situation perfectly. It was obvious that little one had really taken a shine to HRH, wasn't letting her go w/out one more hug and ended up stealing the show and many hearts around the World too. I also thought how she tried to get the lad in the wheelchair beside her to take part in the Music Therapy session was brilliant on Catherine's part. She's a stranger and w/all the Media around, was more just a bit scared of it all, but she tried to reach him and get him to take part in the Session by using something he does know, the Frog Puppet. As was shown later on, he had started to try and sing along.

For anyone watching that and then saying Catherine was distant and/or didn't handle things w/compassion and also humour...I may be Legally Blind, but I far prefer my blindness to the type where someone would "see" anything other than a young woman acting compassionately to lighten the day of those children, families and staff members. I do not understand that mindset, but I also find it beyond sad.

Of course they didn't. Consider the source and put on Ignore. I only wish one of the features of the upgrade to the App, had been that whenever someone on your Ignore list was quoted by someone else, that the quoted portion was also blacked out.

Catherine handled the situation perfectly. It was obvious that little one had really taken a shine to HRH, wasn't letting her go w/out one more hug and ended up stealing the show and many hearts around the World too. I also thought how she tried to get the lad in the wheelchair beside her to take part in the Music Therapy session was brilliant on Catherine's part. She's a stranger and w/all the Media around, was more just a bit scared of it all, but she tried to reach him and get him to take part in the Session by using something he does know, the Frog Puppet. As was shown later on, he had started to try and sing along.

For anyone watching that and then saying Catherine was distant and/or didn't handle things w/compassion and also humour...I may be Legally Blind, but I far prefer my blindness to the type where someone would "see" anything other than a young woman acting compassionately to lighten the day of those children, families and staff members. I do not understand that mindset, but I also find it beyond sad.

I just watched the video. I thought in the beginning she was nervous, however, buy the end of the video she was relaxed, happy and confident with her self. The little girl was so cute. Kate never once tried to push her away or make a face at the touching and hugging.

I think she did a great job and she is learning well. She did a good job.

You took the words out if my mouth! I've yet to see this woman do any sort of engagement without any sincerity. That comes across very strongly when she's interacting with children. Her heart is in it, and she does what she can to make the children feel at ease. The children responded. What could be more natural? Some people who come on here like to criticize beyond the amount necessary, and in this case the amount was absolute zero.

Who exactly was Kate supposed to catch? The cute girl in pigtails? Why would she need to catch her? A lot of people give Kate a pass and defend her, but I see nothing wrong with her in this video; she seems to interact well with children. If it was me I'd be in so much trouble because is be kissing all over the babies.

Who exactly was Kate supposed to catch? The cute girl in pigtails? Why would she need to catch her? A lot of people give Kate a pass and defend her, but I see nothing wrong with her in this video; she seems to interact well with children. If it was me I'd be in so much trouble because is be kissing all over the babies.

You and me both. I've been told several times by my co-workers that I'm getting 'too personal' with my preschoolers. I give them hugs, let them sit on my lap, and do a lot of hands-on interactions. I don't see anything wrong with that, but I know there are plenty of people that do, so I guess I ought to be a bit more discreet. Catherine appears to have no fear of being hands-on, and I'm sure that endears her to the children she's with. Little kids need physical affection, because they may feel insecure, and a hug might help them feel just a little bit safer.

Without getting too off topic, it is my opinion that people who are uncomfortable being hands on in a preschool need to find another career. Or get someone like Catherine or others to teach them how to turn their hearts on. I refuse to turn my heart off, so good I do not work there. Keep yours on Daria

East Anglia's Biggest Birthday Party:
Help celebrate HRH Prince George of Cambridge's 1st birthday and support local families...
East Anglia's Children's Hospices | How to help | East Anglia's Biggest Birthday Party

What an awesome idea! I know there will be people out there wishing to send gifts and cards to George on his 1st but I think having a party and making a contribution to EACH would mean so much more to the Cambridges. I really hope this gets a huge response.

Clarence House @ClarenceHouse · 1h
#CT to @EACH_hospices in #childrenshospiceweek. The Duchess of Cambridge is their Patron #wecare247

Clarence House @ClarenceHouse · 1h
#CT to @EACH_hospices in #childrenshospiceweek. The Duchess of Cambridge is their Patron #wecare247

I have no idea what this message is supposed to say. Is Catherine visiting EACH?

It's Children's Hospice Week. Clarence House was just highlighting it. Catherine is patron of EACH that will benefit from the fundraising that's going on.

East Anglia's Children's Hospices | Latest news | Our Royal Patron, HRH The Duchess of Cambridge, is supporting Children's Hospice Week

Kate has made a statement in support of Children's hospice week. It appears she made a private visit to Each in May( from the bulletin board saying) proving that Kate too, does work behind the scenes like other members of BRF.

Duchess of Cambridge praises 'crucial' work done by children's hospices-
Royal visit to children's hospice by Kate Middleton | Royal | News | Daily Express

I'm not surprised in the least. In fact, I would be surprised if Catherine didn't do something.
I find it all the more admirable that she did this in private, not as a Royal duty, or to help her public image, but as someone who cares. From the sound of of it, this is far from the first private visit she's made. But again, I am not surprised by that, because she obviously does care. These two articles made me tear up. That little boy and Catherine are having a ball!
This woman is about as close to an angel as one can get in my book.
Aside from that, she looked lovely. Love that dress. This really made my day.

Last edited:
I hope she does some more hospice themed engagements soon. She seems to do very well in that environment.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Love this article Dman! Love the kids getting cuddles from the Dino, and if that last picture does not make one shed a tear...
I too hope Kate has hospice visits planned...

Roya Nikkhah @RoyaNikkhah · 4m 4 minutes ago
The Duchess of Cambridge, patron, will attend @EACH_Norfolk £10 million capital appeal launch for a new hospice in Norwich next Tues Nov 25.

Does he mean next Tues the 15th I wonder? If so, me and my Klenex are so here!

The way it said next Tuesday in one of the tweets, are we sure they didn't mean the 15th? Either way , me and my Klenex will be here!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom