The Princess of Wales's Eveningwear Part 1: September 2022 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like the color but nothing else; the shoulders are too square and the flaps of material floating....no, just no.

I do like the color of the gown and the sparkly neckline . I should say what I can see of the neckline with the hair covering it.

She has been indeed, but they appear to be quite fashionable these days.

It is indeed a fashion trend, but I can't say I'm a fan of the really exaggerated silhouette on anyone.

It is indeed a fashion trend, but I can't say I'm a fan of the really exaggerated silhouette on anyone.

I’m not either, but beyond that- I really like the dress.

The Princess of Wales at the Royal Variety Performance 2023 this evening:

** Full view ** Full view ** Upper part ** Upper part **
Not a good look for her.I can only admire the colour.
The colour is lovely on the Princess but not a fan of the design of the dress ,I'd like to have seen her hair pulled back too.
Not a fan of this ensemble... lovely color but shoulders and sleeves are a big miss. Makeup is a bit heavy, too; I think softer colors would suit the Princess so much more - this look ages her.

Is it my impression or has she been wearing many dresses/coats with sharp shoulders lately?
The first thing that smacked me up the side of the head was a song by The Kinks, "Dedicated Follower of Fashion"! Oh good grief Catherine, whatever are you thinking. That first flush of colour was wonderful, but then the whole gown came into view and the style renders one almost speechless which is probably a good thing because the idea is when you wear a statement gown it showcases your natural chic style and perhaps a flash of something. However, Catherine has reverted to a heavy hand on the makeup and and showcasing her luxurious locks instead.

A well styled cape dress is a major style statement without the bells and whistles, whereas this ghastly shoulder style makes me think of a movie where a woman with sharp uptilted shoulders had to shrug one shoulder through the door followed by the other . . . . it was really quite hilarious. Now let's add in the sleeves [?] and the only thing you can do is shake your head and scream "fire the stylist".

Finally, we have some kind of bling around the neckline which is mostly obscured by Catherines luxurious locks so we are unable to decide if it is a trim or a very nice necklace which either matches or compliments her earrings and bracelets.

This new trend of sharp raised edges at the shoulders is not flattering on Catherine. It does not flatter her body shape and, quite frankly, Crystal called and wants her shoulder pads back. Well, it was either her or Jane Jetson. Lets hope this shoulder trend is merely a flash in the pan and not the statement for the decade.

Total miss for me, I cannot stand those shoulder pads coupled with the cape look. Her make up was very thick and almost harsh, and her hair needed to be up.

I don't care for this look. Lately I'm not excited by any of her looks. :sad:

Hate those shoulder pads and need a better updo for that gown. The colour is only thing I like.

I love the color and dislike everything else about it.

I think Kate's hair is her security blanket-like 10 plus years ago. That and she probably thinks it makes her look thinner and more youthful. Newsflash, hair grows so it wouldn't kill her to get a decent trim.

I think Kate's hair is her security blanket-like 10 plus years ago. That and she probably thinks it makes her look thinner and more youthful. Newsflash, hair grows so it wouldn't kill her to get a decent trim.

It is definitely her security blanket. But you can tell, in previous events, that her hair has had a decent trim. Her hair now appears to be darker, and I suspect she is wearing hair extensions because it looks more voluminous than lately.

Catherine and I are the same age, and I too have long, thick dark hair...with added sprinkles of grey :) But I know that if I wear it down, it does not make someone in their early 40's look more youthful - quite the opposite! I hope her stylist points that out to her

Just not a fan of Kate's overall look tonight. Which is fine, everyone can get a miss one in a while.
I do not like the hair styling with the long bangs-fringe 'layered locks' at all. Hopefully it grows out and she then gets a good three inches snipped.
I really dislike those pointy shoulders pads also. Yikes !

Oh well....her smile and demeanor were lovely, as usual, in spite of everything. She's a trooper.

Last edited:

She doesn't need to look any thinner and if she doesn't realize that then there is truly cause for alarm.:ohmy:
:sad:

I think she wears her hair long because she is aware that it's one if her best features and she likes it.

And yes...she might also hide behind it as a sort if security blanket.

I don't mind hair-down but I think at least she shall put the hair behind her shoulders, somehow it's distracting.

Is that an embellished neckline or a necklace? I can't tell.

No necklace. Pity. I think that would be the right occasion for oe of the smaaller demi parures, like the emerald tassel or sapphire tassel.

Yes, it looks like an exact repeat of her Jordanian royal wedding looks.

Lovely. When it works, it works.

For the Diplomatic Reception, the Princess of Wales appears to be wearing the pink Jenny Packham gown worn in Jordan.

Yes, it looks like an exact repeat of her Jordanian royal wedding looks.
It certainly is the same gown and the with the much closer photo showing the detail a lot more clearly, . . . and there there they are, those horrid little, flat, wide and ugly 1980's shoulder pads! :eek:

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
This is one of her best diplomatic reception appearances in recent years. I'm glad that she chose to rewear the gown worn to the Jordanian Royal Wedding this year.

It is definitely her security blanket. But you can tell, in previous events, that her hair has had a decent trim. Her hair now appears to be darker, and I suspect she is wearing hair extensions because it looks more voluminous than lately.

Catherine and I are the same age, and I too have long, thick dark hair...with added sprinkles of grey :) But I know that if I wear it down, it does not make someone in their early 40's look more youthful - quite the opposite! I hope her stylist points that out to her
I know hers aren’t as bad as Farrah Fawcet back in the day, but Catherine’s hair reminds me of that look. She is constantly trying to get it out of her face. Would drive me nuts!

Last edited:
This is one of her best diplomatic reception appearances in recent years. I'm glad that she chose to rewear the gown worn to the Jordanian Royal Wedding this year.

I concur with you!

Other than the hairstyle it was almost a winning look on the Princess.

Beautiful dress! Catherine looked fabulous for this reception.

Back
Top Bottom