The Duchess of Cambridge's Eveningwear Part 11: November 2021 - September 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that she has to use never seen before clothes for that kind of official tour. I think wearing already seen garments would be seen as an insult. My opinion of course, but I ma be wrong.

While I don't mind she got a new gown for the Jamaica banquet (she did don't have many suitable old options if she went for national color tbh), I don't get that "wearing an old garments is an insult" in general. By that she (as well as some other royal ladies) will only get endless new gowns which she only wore once because she will have more and more important occasions, official tours and state visits in future. The other royals always repeat old garments and does it mean they're insulting the host/guest as well? does that mean they think the event isn't important enough to get a new garments? I think we all know the answer is no.

Of course it's my opinion only.

Last edited:
I never voiced my opinion on the colour, but rather simply the number of changes of clothes, which were new and bespoke, in a very small window. This is my opinion, which everybody has the right to agree or disagree with :flowers:
Out of interest what would you suggest she wore.
I am IN LOVE with this dress. Loud and regal.
I think that this tour has been more about what they got wrong about her wardrobe and ask why. Catherine's evening gowns were too Disney and, not the sort of thing she would have worn before this tour.

I am amazed at the number of changes and as to what she should wear? More of her more conservative and elegant style rather than metallic shocking pink or Disney with sparkling beads and sequins. The pink metallic was just so out of place at a daylight "native ceremonial" occasion. Williams lightweight suit with an open shirt would have been better if he had gone khaki or any lightweight suit colour that didn't look like the same blue suits he wears everywhere.

All in all, Catherine's sparkling eveningwear was more "Loud and Loaded" than Loud and regal. Worse, it was tone-deaf. Whoever scoped out the events and submitted the advisory for her eveningwear needs a darned good kick in the pants. This was supposed to be a thank-you visit to represent the Queen's Platinum anniversary not a fashion tour.

Much as I like it, I was a little surprised that she choose this full on ball gown style for this particular tour. Perhaps more suited for a visit to European or North American countries. I think something a little less showy would have shown a sensitivity which is usually the case. She has some lovely gowns she has worn on other tours as well as for evening engagements in the UK which would have been a little less flamboyant.

With respect, I do not agree with the "less showy" bit. Catherine is representing the monarch, and is a future Queen herself. I think it would be disrespectful to the local people for her not to be in full Princess mode, dressed in her best. This is very much the adage that the Queen has worked to.

With respect, I do not agree with the "less showy" bit. Catherine is representing the monarch, and is a future Queen herself. I think it would be disrespectful to the local people for her not to be in full Princess mode, dressed in her best. This is very much the adage that the Queen has worked to.

I agree, as a visiting guest one should always put their best foot forward and that includes one's wardrobe. I find the outfit changes to be pretty standard as far as royal tours go. They also make sense, William and Kate dressed appropriately for the military parade, dressed down for the departure, and then dressed up again for the arrival to a new country.

I mean just so stunning they are both an absolute credit to HM

I agree Muriel. Best foot (and outfits) forward. Kate is definitely taking a page out of the Queen's book and doing a great job.

Whilst I of course accept the differing view, I would say that you can ‘appear dressed in your best’ without being showy. Thoughtful touches like the historic jewellery worn or the designer chosen - even if it’s for just the accessories are things that I think are frequently appreciated as thoughtful.

I never voiced my opinion on the colour, but rather simply the number of changes of clothes, which were new and bespoke, in a very small window. This is my opinion, which everybody has the right to agree or disagree with :flowers:

I know- but you said in your opinion, changing clothes was insulting to the country. She wore the yellow out of respect.
Oh well- agree to disagree. ?

That is beautiful dress…..Kate looks stunning. I think the dresses and outfits for the entire visits everywhere were thought out but i think some of the dresses were too much bling and ‘over kill’. They were better saved for the functions in England.

With thay…does anyone know about the necklace and earrings Kate wore? I like the necklace but the earrings are too long…jmo.

The dress is of course, beautiful. And I like the overall look but I want to love it...and I don't.

If ever an evening gown called for an elegant updo with some dazzling jewel accessories it is this one.

The sleek straight hair with this dress is just not working for me. And neither are the necklace and earrings which don't seem to go with the dress.

Last edited:
In some photo it looks great and in some photo it looks off. In some photo the straps went "outward" and made her shoulders broader then they are, but in some the straps were "straight" like how the model wore it and it framed her beautifully. Maybe there's some placement/fitting issues or simply just because of the angle.

Anyway generally I like it, she needs gown with volume on the skirt and it suits her body shape so well.

But still I wish it's in jewels tone as personally I think it looks a bit over-shining (I get that she picked the colour to honour the nation though).

While I like it, I still think she missed the opportunity to reuse some of her gorgeous pale blue gowns, I think of the JP gown she wore to Bond premiere many years ago.

I would definitely claim myself a hater of "Kate wearing her hair down with gown" (I definitely hate her wedding hair, hate her hair when she wore the Nizam of Hyderabad necklace for the first time, hate the countless time she wore her hair down when she wore a gorgeous earrings lol), but her sleek straight hair gradually sold me. She looks smart.

And opposite to her gala look in Jamaica, the jewels are the worst part of this look!

Last edited:
Not a fan of this dress. The neckline is way too deep that it borders on being inappropriate. One careless shrug and she could have an "accident".

I also feel that her dress colors are so predictable as she uses variations from the nation's flag colors. It's just too predictable.
A smarter and less predictable move would be to have a dress with prints incorporating the national flower or colors of the nation bird..etc

The dress is of course, beautiful. And I like the overall look but I want to love it...and I don't.

If ever an evening gown called for an elegant updo with some dazzling jewel accessories it is this one.

The sleek straight hair with this dress is just not working for me. And neither are the necklace and earrings which don't seem to go with the dress.

My thoughts exactly!

Not really, GK's is closer to mint green while Kate's is definitely blue-ish. Nothing similar between these two dresses, maybe except the fabric. The likeness from DF is a bit farfetched to me

Stunning! Duchess of Cambridge with dress by Phillipa Lepley attends tonight a reception hosted by the Governor General at the Baha Mar Hotel.

The duchess looks stunning but would have prefered an updo hairstyle for the event.

Not really, GK's is closer to mint green while Kate's is definitely blue-ish. Nothing similar between these two dresses, maybe except the fabric. The likeness from DF is a bit farfetched to me

The Fail's ultimate compliment to a Royal woman- ANY woman- is to compare her to Grace Kelly.:whistling:

The fabric and color of the DoC's evening dress are similar to the utterly fabulous one worn by Grace when she collected her Oscar, but the style could not be less similar.

Yes I agree. The shiny fabric and draping and pleats around the hips do add volume which helps.

I think Catherine looked brilliant and the outfit perfect. Loved the jewelry also. I must admit that I admire how she stays so model slender, although her sister and mother both have that fortune. A dress designer's dream. I thought that an up-hair fashion would also be better, but my 26-year-old granddaughter intensely disagreed. Everyone has their own opinion, which is interesting.

Stunning! Love it. Watch out Cinderella!!

I love the pale blue dress. An up do might have been nice, but she’s had some fabulous ones on this trip.

I think if she’d worn some kind of jewelled alice band or hair adornment, the straight hair would have worked. Sadly, a tiara would have been out of the question

A lovely dress in a beautiful color. I like the wide neckline and the fabric is gorgeous.

Inasmuch as her hair was likely soaking wet (rainstorm, sailing) by the end of the day, there may not have been time enough to dry her voluminous mane and then to style it as well.

I half like the Bahamas dress - the colour is nice, the shape is nice but the neckline seems low with the shoulder straps.

But my big annoyance was the new evening shoes - I read on a blog they were over $2000. That's expensive. Considering the number of evening shoes she has - was another glittery pair needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom