The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 12:05 PM
Heir Apparent

She dresses much better after marriage than she did before. Before marriage she wore horrible pants and jackets that don't fit. Now she wears fitted dresses with unique hems and great hair that is actually brushed.

Old 07-12-2018, 12:08 PM
Heir Apparent

Fros, she didn't wear 'full black' to the RAF celebrations - it was a navy outfit so she didn't stand out in a bad way. See post 329 in this thread for a truer picture of her outfit.

Old 07-12-2018, 12:42 PM
Commoner

Is there a chance some of the clothes she is wearing are purchased prior to becoming royal? She could have bought them herself?

But I do agree that if she is going to buy expensive clothes. They could at least have UK designers.
Old 07-12-2018, 12:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

Here is my "two cents" on her outfits from the Ireland trip (and the RAF event).

RAF event - very nice outfit, nothing to complain about. The fit was good and the hat was a winner
Ireland - green welcome outfit was okay, nothing wrong, just okay. the black dress from the ambassador's garden party was outstanding. The fit and length was just right on her and her hair looked really good. The taupe dress was odd, I liked the navy version she wore before her wedding, but this one didn't do it for me, there was definitely something wrong with her undergarments on the top. The pants suit was fine for the events attended but nothing wonderful.
I do think that her clothing game has been up since her wedding, but then again, I expected that it would be. Only time will tell if it stays on it's present course.
Old 07-12-2018, 12:45 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaizen View Post
Is there a chance some of the clothes she is wearing are purchased prior to becoming royal? She could have bought them herself?

But I do agree that if she is going to buy expensive clothes. They could at least have UK designers.

She does have UK designer clothes (the company being in the UK or the designer being from the UK) she wears...none of the women in the BRF wear exclusively UK designed clothing.

LaRae
Old 07-12-2018, 12:48 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
She does have UK designer clothes (the company being in the UK or the designer being from the UK) she wears...none of the women in the BRF wear exclusively UK designed clothing.

LaRae
I think the only exception is The Queen, but that's a different situation. She has an in house designer and team.
Old 07-12-2018, 01:07 PM
Courtier

Regarding the fit of the taupe dress, the Go Fug Yourself girls made an interesting comment that a very tight fit through the bodice is a Mouret hallmark. Supposedly he likes the way it makes the underlying structure of the garment more noticable. I agree with others here (and GFY) that it went too far in this circumstance, creating not only the visible lines of her undergarments but also pulling across the top of her chest and along the sides of the bodice.

I suspect one change that might be taking Meghan by surprise a little bit, especially as someone who has felt very comfortable in the fashion world (being that she's friends with Mouret, with Nonoo, with stylist Jessica Mulroney, etc.) is that her working relationship with designers needs to work differently now. To a certain degree, an actress who is lucky to wear a designer owes it to the designer to remain true to his or her vision since she's probably getting the clothes gratis or at a good deal in order to help market them, and it works ok because if she's getting the name of the designer out there the people who pay attention to these things will mostly say the designer got it right or wrong rather than saying the actress had a really big hit or miss. But things work differently for a high profile royal. The designer's vision now must come second to her practical needs. Maybe it is Mouret's thing to pull things tight, but when she goes along with it the end result isn't people saying "oh, look at that underlying structure, what is he trying to do with that" but rather people saying "I can see exactly what style undergarment the Duchess of Sussex is wearing."

I fully expect to see some big misses initially. Just going by how long it's taken other women marrying into royal families to find their sartorial groove (Kate learning why shorter skirts become liabilities at engagments, CP Mary learning about fit and how overly shiny fabrics photograph, etc.) I feel like the norm is a good year or so before settling into a "uniform" approach. Meghan may get there faster, having come from a background of being on display, but she's still got to learn some things the hard way about the differences between dressing for a role that's played out for cameras that are working somewhat in sync with her and dressing for one played out for press cameras that could come from all angles.
Old 07-12-2018, 01:17 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fros View Post
I find her strategy with clothes after getting married to be all over the place and it's becoming frustrating.

She was much better pre-wedding. She wore a good mix of high street brands with more expensive brands, a good mix of British, Common wealth and local brands.

Since getting married it's been very very bad. This has nothing to do with her style but the choices. She's been married almost two months but primarily wore French couture labels and American in that period. I usually don't mind her wearing black, but wearing full black at an event celebrating RAF 100 just made her stand out in a really bad way compared to the rest of the family. Not wearing Irish designers is Ireland is mistake, highlighting local brands is IMO one of the role of the Royal ladies when they are on tour. Wearing Irish designers in Ireland is easy points with the media. You need to get some of the easy point as well as nail the hard stuff.

I am frustrated because she was better at this before so I didn't think we had to worry but instead of keeping steady on that course she has veered completely off. Where she once showed care and thoughtfulness has completely been replaced by thoughtless disregard.

She needs to do better because the cost of clothing and the lack of local or commonwealth designers is legitimate criticism that's hard to defend against.

She didn't wear black to the RAF 100 event. It was a dark navy blue. There are a couple pics out there (they've been posted here on previous pages) showing with outside lighting/sun you can see the blue.

What Irish designers would you have like to have seen?

LaRae
Old 07-12-2018, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonytick View Post
Regarding the fit of the taupe dress, the Go Fug Yourself girls made an interesting comment that a very tight fit through the bodice is a Mouret hallmark. Supposedly he likes the way it makes the underlying structure of the garment more noticable. I agree with others here (and GFY) that it went too far in this circumstance, creating not only the visible lines of her undergarments but also pulling across the top of her chest and along the sides of the bodice.

I suspect one change that might be taking Meghan by surprise a little bit, especially as someone who has felt very comfortable in the fashion world (being that she's friends with Mouret, with Nonoo, with stylist Jessica Mulroney, etc.) is that her working relationship with designers needs to work differently now. To a certain degree, an actress who is lucky to wear a designer owes it to the designer to remain true to his or her vision since she's probably getting the clothes gratis or at a good deal in order to help market them, and it works ok because if she's getting the name of the designer out there the people who pay attention to these things will mostly say the designer got it right or wrong rather than saying the actress had a really big hit or miss. But things work differently for a high profile royal. The designer's vision now must come second to her practical needs. Maybe it is Mouret's thing to pull things tight, but when she goes along with it the end result isn't people saying "oh, look at that underlying structure, what is he trying to do with that" but rather people saying "I can see exactly what style undergarment the Duchess of Sussex is wearing."

I fully expect to see some big misses initially. Just going by how long it's taken other women marrying into royal families to find their sartorial groove (Kate learning why shorter skirts become liabilities at engagments, CP Mary learning about fit and how overly shiny fabrics photograph, etc.) I feel like the norm is a good year or so before settling into a "uniform" approach. Meghan may get there faster, having come from a background of being on display, but she's still got to learn some things the hard way about the differences between dressing for a role that's played out for cameras that are working somewhat in sync with her and dressing for one played out for press cameras that could come from all angles.
These are all very good points, and I agree. I was in the minority in really liking the RM, but the fit in the bodice was revealing and unflattering, and I was surprised that Meghan had been willing to step out with her underpinnings on display. I would be surprised if she makes that mistake too many more times, although there is certainly a learning curve with this stuff. Look how many times it took before the DoC learned that windy days and lightweight, full skirts are not a good combination.

Meghan is in a very different position now than she was as an actress, and although she has lots of experience with how to present herself and craft a certain image for herself, she will need to think hard about details that she probably never had to consider before. Personally, I think so far she is showing quite a bit of skill in that direction, but there will inevitably be missteps. The question becomes, how quick of a learner is she? I'm optimistic on that front.
Old 07-12-2018, 01:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonytick View Post

I agree with it all other than the uniform. It's one thing when the Queen or Camilla does it at their age, but no to uniforms for someone in her 30s. That's too young for a uniform look this day and age. Have a little fun. She can have her signature neckline, but what I've liked so far is that the rest of the dress still look very different.
Old 07-12-2018, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
I agree with it all other than the uniform. It's one thing when the Queen or Camilla does it at their age, but no to uniforms for someone in her 30s. That's too young for a uniform look this day and age. Have a little fun.
I think there's a middle ground between the Queen's print dress and coat combo and having too much "fun with fashion." I think both Letizia and CP Mary have found that balance in that they both have a recognizable style in their working wardrobe, they both have a good mix of home grown and foreign designers, and they both look elegant and stylish the majority of time (the occasional "what was she thinking?" to one side.)

If Meghan wants primarily to be known for the work she does, a super fashion forward wardrobe would not be a good thing, because then the story becomes what she is wearing rather than what she is doing or the cause she is representing. It's a fine balance, for sure, and it will be interesting to see how she navigates that, and where she ends up falling on the spectrum from fashion-forward to predictable.
Old 07-12-2018, 01:55 PM
Courtier

So far I've stayed away from the discussion regarding which designers Meghan wears. However, I feel like foreign tours, even short ones, require a bit of a difference from regular every day dress.

As for her clothing while she's in her newly adopted home country, I would expect to see a mix of British designers along with French, American, etc. along with a mix of high street vs. couture. This seems to be the accepted way of doing things amongst the other women in the RF and it seems logical to me that this would work well for the day in and day out on home soil. I'm also trying to be open minded about the fact that she's still amassing pieces of a royal wardrobe, some pieces were probably ordered during her engagement period (probably a reason we've seen so much Givenchy, given the fact that they were already working with her and her measurements for her wedding dress), and some may be things she acquired prior to her relationship with Harry and didn't see any sense in no longer wearing which makes perfect sense.

As for foreign tours, though, even short ones, at least a smattering of pieces from local designers should have been included if for no other reason than to be build a little good will from the sector that keeps tabs on the fashion aspect. I won't pretend that I know all there is to know about fashion, designers, couture, etc. and I certainly can't name any Irish designers off the top of my head. But, even if she chose to wear her preferred designers, it would have been a nice gesture to incorporate a bit of Irish-designed and created jewelry, an Irish-brand bag, etc. I imagine much of her wardrobe for this Irish tour was planned and purchased some time ago. Yes the tour was short but she did have multiple outfit changes and I wouldn't have thought it would be terribly difficult to quickly source and showcase a couple of Irish accessories.

Time will tell if this continues to be an issue on tours both short and long. I can see the uproar becoming much louder and even more negative than it already is should she choose not to showcase local designers and brands on longer tours. Hopefully she'll find that she doesn't have to wear 100% local on her tours but that it means a lot to the people in the area she's touring to see their country represented in her accessories, a couple of standout pieces, or even a piece of heirloom jewelry borrowed from HM such as the diamond maple leaf brooch seen during trips to Canada or the diamond fern brooch seen during trips Down Under.
Old 07-12-2018, 03:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
She didn't wear black to the RAF 100 event. It was a dark navy blue. There are a couple pics out there (they've been posted here on previous pages) showing with outside lighting/sun you can see the blue.

LaRae

Dior identified the dress as black.
So looks like the DM got it right in the first place.
Old 07-12-2018, 03:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Not wearing Irish designers is Ireland is mistake, highlighting local brands is IMO one of the role of the Royal ladies when they are on tour. Wearing Irish designers in Ireland is easy points with the media. You need to get some of the easy point as well as nail the hard stuff.

[...] Where she once showed care and thoughtfulness has completely been replaced by thoughtless disregard.

She needs to do better because the cost of clothing and the lack of local or commonwealth designers is legitimate criticism that's hard to defend against.
Could you explain where this comes from? It's an honest question. When did what designer labels a royal woman wears become a 'responsibility'? Enough so that a royal lady can be said to have a 'thoughtless disregard' for what I assume you are saying is a responsibly. I am puzzled.
Old 07-12-2018, 03:27 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I find her strategy with clothes after getting married to be all over the place and it's becoming frustrating.

She was much better pre-wedding. She wore a good mix of high street brands with more expensive brands, a good mix of British, Common wealth and local brands.

Since getting married it's been very very bad. This has nothing to do with her style but the choices. She's been married almost two months but primarily wore French couture labels and American in that period. I usually don't mind her wearing black, but wearing full black at an event celebrating RAF 100 just made her stand out in a really bad way compared to the rest of the family. Not wearing Irish designers is Ireland is mistake, highlighting local brands is IMO one of the role of the Royal ladies when they are on tour. Wearing Irish designers in Ireland is easy points with the media. You need to get some of the easy point as well as nail the hard stuff.

I am frustrated because she was better at this before so I didn't think we had to worry but instead of keeping steady on that course she has veered completely off. Where she once showed care and thoughtfulness has completely been replaced by thoughtless disregard.

Agree 100%
Old 07-12-2018, 03:31 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
Dior identified the dress as black.
So looks like the DM got it right in the first place.
Where did Dior do this? It's not black in the sunlight..you can see the blue.

LaRae
Old 07-12-2018, 03:37 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:

LaRae
It was black. Dior describes this dress as black in their press release
Old 07-12-2018, 04:01 PM
Administrator

Meghan has been married all of two months (if that) can we cut her some slack? It's a lot to take on for someone who is not used to the positives and negatives of royalty.

I get the need to promote British (including Commonwealth) designers, the need to mix the pricey with the less expensive pieces, the amount of attention placed on her wardrobe, etc. but its gonna take time for her to get her even keel. Does anyone but me remember the early days of Diana and Catherine? Meghan is in even a more difficult position because she wasn't born British. She is going thru the same thing that Mary and Maxima experienced...people were complaining that they weren't wearing enough Danish and Dutch clothes when they first married. That they bought too much designer clothes.

We shouldn't expect her to get it right immediately after her wedding.

I think the pieces that she has worn the last couple of days have been nice and classic. IMO stating that she is dressing like she is still in Hollywood is very misleading. As someone has already stated, her pre marriage attire is TOTALLY different from what she is wearing now. She definitely was a little more adventurous pre Harry.

And let's not get on the no one can say anything bad about Meghan record. There has been plenty negative and constructive criticism regarding her wardrobe...I just think folks want her to be given a chance to get it right.

I have been around TRF for a bit, and I seem to recall the same conversations regarding Kate, Maxima, Mary, Letizia, etc. Not trying to start any comparison discussions but the same positive and negative complaints have been said about Kate, Mary, Maxima, Letizia and even Diana in regards to their fashion.

The more things change the more they stay the same.

Old 07-12-2018, 04:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
I get the need to promote British (including Commonwealth) designers, the need to mix the pricey with the less expensive pieces, the amount of attention placed on her wardrobe, etc. but its gonna take time for her to get her even keel. Does anyone but me remember the early days of Diana and Catherine? Meghan is in even a more difficult position because she wasn't born British. She is going thru the same thing that Mary and Maxima experienced...people were complaining that they weren't wearing enough Danish and Dutch clothes when they first married. That they bought too much designer clothes.
Could you explain where this comes from? It's an honest question. When did what designer labels a royal woman wears become a 'responsibility'? Enough so that a royal lady can be said to have a 'thoughtless disregard' for what I assume people are saying is a responsibly. When did this start to be an issue?
Old 07-12-2018, 04:58 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
Meghan has been married all of two months (if that) can we cut her some slack? It's a lot to take on for someone who is not used to the positives and negatives of royalty.

We shouldn't expect her to get it right immediately after her wedding.

I think the pieces that she has worn the last couple of days have been nice and classic. IMO stating that she is dressing like she is still in Hollywood is very misleading. As someone has already stated, her pre marriage attire is TOTALLY different from what she is wearing now. She definitely was a little more adventurous pre Harry.

And let's not get on the no one can say anything bad about Meghan record. There has been plenty negative and constructive criticism regarding her wardrobe...I just think folks want her to be given a chance to get it right.

I have been around TRF for a bit, and I seem to recall the same conversations regarding Kate, Maxima, Mary, Letizia, etc. Not trying to start any comparison discussions but the same positive and negative complaints have been said about Kate, Mary, Maxima, Letizia and even Diana in regards to their fashion.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Tbank you!!!! You are not alone! As a matter of fact, CP Mary was accused of only wearing Prada in her early years!

Closed Thread