The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 01:15 AM
Nobility

I don't mind her style, or her sticking to neutral colours (I just wish we didn't see same colours twice in a row) but I feel like she is really having trouble figuring out what her royal style is.

People have talked about how her outfits seem like a 50/60's Jackie O vibe and I agree. My issue is she is dressing more like a first lady/ a politicians wife than she is a royal, her look especially at the awards are aging her a little.

I also find her sticking to big brands like Prada shows a lack in confidence. She is going with what is comfortable rather than trying out out less established designers. She is playing it safe and still experimenting but she needs to have a good sit down a with a good personal stylist.

A person who can help her understand the role of fashion in her new role, introduce her to a world of other designers and help keep an eye and manage the number added up at the end of the year.

Old 06-28-2018, 02:29 AM
Heir Apparent

I think 'the role of fashion' in her life is wholly her call, no one else's. Prince Charles' first wife made fashion her statement to the world. It pleased her to become a fashion plate. Perhaps Prince William's wife has taken up that mantle (I don't know). I would not say that being a fashion icon is what distinguishes royal ladies (like Princess Anne). Dress 'suitably' and get on with the work, with fashion being a fun side interest but not the focus. That's what I see.

Old 06-28-2018, 04:17 AM
Nobility

I think this fashion icon pedestal is something that the media put Meghan on rather than something she chose to carve for herself and nothing about her current dressing style has shown us that that's a title that she seriously wants to contend for as she's stuck to what is safe.

IMO the role of fashion for royals has nothing to do with being a fashion icon but rather the choices you make. For example Huit Denim relatively under the radar brand from the local region that really elevated that local brand because Meghan wore it. It wasn't too expensive and the brand had given interviews about how greatful they are because it really did help their buisness and has led to them moving to a new location to keep up with demand.

Meghan can dress however she wants but with a knowledgeable British stylish she can make better choices that use her position to better boost the right brands and help stick to attainable brands/ within a reasonable budget which is always heavily scrutinized (this of course can't be helped at times as Meghan will be expected to attend some pretty high level stuff where a more extravagant dress within reasonable limits will of course be acceptable) IMO that is biggest role of fashion for royal women.

To keep wearing high profile expensive and more than well established brands is a waste. She doesn't have a stylist and has only been a royal for a little over a month so I will wait till after the first year to judge too harshly but that is the direction I want her to go.
Old 06-28-2018, 06:31 AM
Imperial Majesty

They all wear expensive and well established brands of clothing. I don't see how it's a waste..it's their money and in particular Meghan has her own money.

She's going to have to build a wardrobe and figure out what she likes and what works for what she's doing. 90 percent of the time we don't see her when she is working...that's how it is with most of them.

She's had a few misses I never care to see again (engagement looks)....will be interesting to see what she wears on the upcoming trip to Ireland.

LaRae
Old 06-28-2018, 06:59 AM
Heir Apparent

Good gracious Meghan is doing nothing wrong in her fashion choices. She is presentable and safe and she has been doing this for less than a year; all this analysis over a freaking dress! There is nothing wasteful about Meghan's wardrobe.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 06-28-2018, 07:35 AM
Heir Apparent

Meghan has always leaned towards classic with an edge. I don’t expect that to change. Although, I’d argue she didn’t exactly play it safe at Trooping (the horror, the woman has shoulders and she dared not to cover them ). She likes neutral colors and that’s just that. As for her sticking to major brands, well so far she’s had pretty big events since she’s gotten married. All of them involve HMQ, with the exception of the Garden Party, which she didn’t go with a brand that’s on the level of Prada or Givenchy. I’m not understanding how going with these brands show lack of confidence? They are appropriate for the events she was going to.

As the comparison of her to politician wives due to the Jackie O comparison. Well, Jackie O was always billed as a First Lady that dressed like royalty rather than politician’s wife. So I guess Meghan is dressing appropriately for royalty.

I’m sure once she starts doing events that are more everyday events, we’ll see more of the everyday brands she wore during her engagement tour return.
Old 06-28-2018, 07:45 AM
Heir Apparent

I don't see what is wrong with Meghan dressing like a first lady; political wives seem to dress more conservatively than royal women. If Meghan is going to replicate any famous women's style I applaud her for choosing Jackie. In my opinion if I was a royal in the BRF I would wear Victoria Beckham all day everuday :)

Old 06-28-2018, 09:08 AM
Royal Highness

Another great outfit from her!
BYe Bine
Old 06-28-2018, 09:12 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fros View Post
I think this fashion icon pedestal is something that the media put Meghan on rather than something she chose to carve for herself and nothing about her current dressing style has shown us that that's a title that she seriously wants to contend for as she's stuck to what is safe.

IMO the role of fashion for royals has nothing to do with being a fashion icon but rather the choices you make. For example Huit Denim relatively under the radar brand from the local region that really elevated that local brand because Meghan wore it. It wasn't too expensive and the brand had given interviews about how greatful they are because it really did help their buisness and has led to them moving to a new location to keep up with demand.

Meghan can dress however she wants but with a knowledgeable British stylish she can make better choices that use her position to better boost the right brands and help stick to attainable brands/ within a reasonable budget which is always heavily scrutinized (this of course can't be helped at times as Meghan will be expected to attend some pretty high level stuff where a more extravagant dress within reasonable limits will of course be acceptable) IMO that is biggest role of fashion for royal women.

To keep wearing high profile expensive and more than well established brands is a waste. She doesn't have a stylist and has only been a royal for a little over a month so I will wait till after the first year to judge too harshly but that is the direction I want her to go.
I agree, she really does need to, IMO, start to focus on largely wearing British brands. It is completely incongruous with the wear ladies of the BRF dress, to go from one super expensive foreign label to the other. It is things like this that will go a long way on helping her win acceptance in her adopted land.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 06-28-2018, 10:47 AM
Courtier

Meghan has only done a handful of engagements as a royal and we're already jumping to conclusions about her style?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
Meghan has always leaned towards classic with an edge. I don’t expect that to change. Although, I’d argue she didn’t exactly play it safe at Trooping (the horror, the woman has shoulders and she dared not to cover them ). She likes neutral colors and that’s just that. As for her sticking to major brands, well so far she’s had pretty big events since she’s gotten married. All of them involve HMQ, with the exception of the Garden Party, which she didn’t go with a brand that’s on the level of Prada or Givenchy. I’m not understanding how going with these brands show lack of confidence? They are appropriate for the events she was going to.

As the comparison of her to politician wives due to the Jackie O comparison. Well, Jackie O was always billed as a First Lady that dressed like royalty rather than politician’s wife. So I guess Meghan is dressing appropriately for royalty.

I’m sure once she starts doing events that are more everyday events, we’ll see more of the everyday brands she wore during her engagement tour return.
Totally agree. I don't think she's playing it safe nor do I think she needs to find her style. Her style has always been minimalist, classic with an edge and that's exactly what she has been going for thus far. Though again, she has only done a handful of engagements and they have all been more on the formal side. Can we give her a little more time before we start worrying about what she is or isn't wearing? I'm sure we will see more British designers, some of them lesser known. Did we forget some of the brands she wore during her engagement period?

Personally, I will take what we have seen from Meghan so far over what the other senior royal women in the family wear. She is dressing appropriately while still looking like she has her own identity, instead of being consumed by what a royal duchess should wear. I hope she keeps that up, regardless of what brands or colors she wears.
Old 06-28-2018, 02:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Was Meghan's Trooping outfit really controversial? Or was it just media outlets needing to talk? I personally thought it was her 2nd best outfit since she got married.

Old 06-28-2018, 03:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
Was Meghan's Trooping outfit really controversial? Or was it just media outlets needing to talk? I personally thought it was her 2nd best outfit since she got married.

I loved that outfit. I think this my most favorite. The fit, the neckline, the material, all of it and I loved those buttons too. However, that definitely caused some...pushback. And not just from the media. There was a bit of back and forth here too.
Old 06-28-2018, 07:20 PM
Heir Apparent

I’m really curious to see what she’ll wear July 9-11. She’ll probably wear up to 6 different outfits in 3 days, so I’m looking forward to it and wondering how she’ll handle it.
Should be a good indication for the October tour which will be huge when it comes to the number of outfits.
Old 06-28-2018, 09:20 PM
Nobility

Yep I was thinking depending on the events scheduled on July 10th in Ireland we might see her in up to 3 outfits just on that day alone.
Old 06-28-2018, 10:38 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
I loved that outfit. I think this my most favorite. The fit, the neckline, the material, all of it and I loved those buttons too. However, that definitely caused some...pushback. And not just from the media. There was a bit of back and forth here too.
No, it was not "controversial". It seems that the dictates of what is or is not appropriate Duchess wear are self-appointed "Royal Experts" whose purvue covers both attire and deportment.

They called the bateau neckline of Meghan's wedding dress "off the shoulder" when it demonstratively was not. They howled at her TOC outfit because "off the shoulder, dresses were not "appropriate". There was nothing improper about the outfit and it looked wonderful.

(..)
Old 06-30-2018, 01:31 AM
Administrator

The thread has been cleaned up again. Please mind all previous mod posts.
Old 06-30-2018, 12:47 PM
Imperial Majesty

Duchess of Sussex today at the charity polo match

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/20...0376206354.jpg
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/20...0376206470.jpg
Old 06-30-2018, 01:16 PM
Courtier

Very "summery" and perfect for a polo match. I'm wearing something similar in NYC scorching heat today. Love her little fedora and gladiator sandals. The dress seems light and flows, just wish the tie at the waist was a bit smaller. But she is looking refreshed.
Old 06-30-2018, 01:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Dress is from Shoshanna. Hat from Madewell, which we’ve seen on her IG before. Shoes from Sarah Flint.
Old 06-30-2018, 01:25 PM
Imperial Majesty

In love with her hat. Feels like something Zara would wear at such an event Looks fantastic with her sunglasses.

The dress is cute. Lovely for a summer day watching polo.

Closed Thread