The Duchess of Sussex's Daytime Fashion Part 1: May 2018 - June 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously? This dress is almost out of Hubert de Givenchy's sketch book. I wouldn't exactly call it modern. It's quite a classic look. Most of her clothing has quite a timeless look (minus whatever that was she wore last Sunday).

Maybe modern isn't the right word. Trendy is perhaps better. Even when she's going vintage, it's a trend, just not my look. Her classic and my classic are very different. Or perhaps, my classic is more British classic, and her's more...American? I don't know. I'm American, so I can't say for sure. But our style tastes most definitely differ. I did not like the overall look of this dress at all.

ETA: It's still night and day better than Celia's wedding though, I will agree there.

Maybe modern isn't the right word. Trendy is perhaps better. Even when she's going vintage, it's a trend, just not my look. Her classic and my classic are very different. Or perhaps, my classic is more British classic, and her's more...American? I don't know. I'm American, so I can't say for sure. But our style tastes most definitely differ. I did not like the overall look of this dress at all.

ETA: It's still night and day better than Celia's wedding though, I will agree there.

The dress Meghan wore for Ascot is a classic shirt dress style. It is neither a modern or trendy dress except for the hemline. I thought it was very attractive. It also fit her well, especially obvious across her back.

Shirt dresses go in and out of fashion but are a classic style. Skirts were less full in the war years but generally more full in the 50s.

In response to another post, the hat maybe a touch of My Fair Lady but other than than white & black the dress wasn't at all reminiscent to me.

Last edited:
I love the hemline, it gives interest to the dress..... beautiful !

i found the shirtdress lovely only little too casual for the event
her hat is to die for i looove it overall she looks beautiful Imo

Love the hat. Not a fan of the dress. Too much dress for her, and it's very boring. Sadly, my style and the Duchess' style do not seem to gel at all. I have rarely seen her in anything that makes me go 'wow'.

I loved Meghan's overall look.
The shirtdress style was smart and the hat with the same thin black line as her belt was perfect. Meghan's outfit looked it's best, to me, when in the carriage near to Sophie's blush pink which sharpened the white and gave Meghan some warmth near her face.
Meghan's makeup could be better. Less would be more with her foundation and blush and a contrasting lip colour. I think, could have been better with the black and white.

I think Meghan looked beautiful today. I SWOONED over her hat.

But I'm in a bit of the minority in that I really didn't care for the dress. At first, before I saw close up shots, I thought it was wrinkled in the waist - but then I noticed the lace, which honestly didn't help my opinion of the dress.

I guess she was going for retro modern? I get it - the shape of the dress is a bit more modern in that it's a shirt dress and who wears a shirt dress to Royal Ascot - but then there is the retro snatch of lace added and the hem... so I get it I guess. I just am not fond of it. I preferred her retro look at the Anzac engagement... that was awesome... this just isn't my favorite.

I don't think the outfit was modernized quite enough - it edged into "sweet" for me. I feel like the lace only being added in appliqué at the waist was an attempt to be retro and modern together (as opposed to having lace all over), but given lace's resurgence, only using a small piece of it at the waist made the look "retro sweet" instead of "retro modern" which I would have preferred.

I've always found lace appliqué to be a bit dowdy and old fashioned.

But the hat? Perfect.

I also feel Meghan needs some guidance in make-up. Just chill on the bronzer and blush sis, we can see it from a mile away. Blending is key!

I feel like today's bronzer/blush is an aberration - I've never noticed her blush/bronzer before.... previously I could say it was too light in the past... or barely there.

I'm not sure what happened today at RA, but I haven't seen it look that over-applied since she came on the scene.

It also turned muddy on her too. That happens to me sometimes when I don't let my foundation set before applying blush and bronzer.

Late to the party...again. If only real life would stop getting in the way of my royal watching ;)

I love the hat, it is my favorite part of this appearance. Her hair is beautiful, the hat is sublime, and if it had all stopped there I would have been a happy camper. But, I'm just not loving this dress, and I actually like a shirtwaist when it's done right.

To me the charm of a nicely tailored shirtwaist is in its clean lines and crisp appearance, and aside from the color, this one just has too much going on. There's the lace at the waist, and the belt, and the hem (which reminds me of CP Mary's wedding dress, and not in a good way).

So overall, while it's an improvement over the toile-of-doom from Sunday, I'm not loving this Ascot debut. If she had stayed in the carriage and I could have kept on adoring the hat and her lovely face without being distracted by the dress, I would have been a lot happier.

I don't absolutely love it but it does look nice on her, particularly the hat. I know that I'm one of those who is very, very tired of the neutral colors and I would love to see her in something with actual color but I'm happy to see that the dress fit well, did not appear to be at least a size too big, her hat is lovely....overall not my personal favorite look but one that certainly looks nice on her.

I agree with you. While Meghan looks lovely and she can carry off most anything, aside from the overly baggy country curtains look which swamped her, I'm not in love with the covered-up all over white palette. The hat is quite lovely and it goes well with the dress. I love the white-on-white embroidery detail at her waist with the black accent belt. However, why such a similar belt styling from same designer in same palette (white instead of cream) that she wore only a few days ago? I do really like the flow of the dress and it's asymmetrical hemline, but I would have liked to see this dress in a pop of color. Probably that was a no-no though for this event.

I say that because it appears to me that all of the royal ladies were given the option of wearing a shade of cream or white with black accents, except Princess Beatrice wore baby blue and white. So maybe understated soft blue and white was another option chosen only by Beatrice. And since Meghan had already worn baby blue and white at the Spencer wedding on Sunday, she decided to choose the white with black accents option today. The royal ladies very much seem to coordinate color options when many of them are going to appear in public with the Queen at the same event. Therefore, Meghan is fitting in with what's required of her in her new role, and in her new family. She does look lovely, if a bit washed out due to being so all-over covered-up in white. It's conservative styling, but she's trying to find her way sartorially in the royal limelight, and it's early days yet. (ETA: Sophie Countess of Wessex was apparently wearing light blush pink with black accents -- it was so light that it looked white)

Still, I get the sense that Meghan is over-reacting somewhat in the styling of her recent looks due to the unwarranted critiques she received for the Carolina Herrera TofC dress. I wish Meghan will wear that dress again, hopefully during her Australia tour so that we will get to see it again, and get to see its hemline for the first time!

I feel like today's bronzer/blush is an aberration - I've never noticed her blush/bronzer before.... previously I could say it was too light in the past... or barely there.

I'm not sure what happened today at RA, but I haven't seen it look that over-applied since she came on the scene.

It also turned muddy on her too. That happens to me sometimes when I don't let my foundation set before applying blush and bronzer.

Right, that was very noticeable to me too. However, I didn't find it too distracting. Maybe Meghan was trying to compensate for the covered-up all-over white she was wearing. Perhaps thinking she might look washed-out, she ended up applying a bit more bronzer than she normally would.

Or, Meghan might have been a bit rushed applying her makeup. As newlyweds, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex may have gotten a bit of a late start getting ready this morning. Who knows? :whistling:

Oh, and ITA with you mostly regarding Meghan's overall look for Royal Ascot. I am not in love with the look, but I adore the hat. The dress is nice, and I happen to like the white-on-white embroidery along with the asymmetrical hemline. My biggest beef is that the look is really not Meghan's aesthetic. I totally get your reference to dowdy and old-fashioned. It's a tad too conservative, and the palette is too similar to what she's worn in recent days. I agree with you that she looks lovely, especially wearing the hat, but that the overall look is boring. But it appears to me that she's intentionally being safe and boring in order to fit in with her new family, new culture, etc. Maybe when she settles in a bit and gains her sea legs, we'll see a bit more of the Meghan dash and sass?

In any case, as I mentioned earlier, the royal ladies all likely have to stick to certain preplanned color choices so as not to clash with the Queen. I do wonder what Meghan's designer pals think of some of her recent choices (particularly Roland Mouret who created her gorgeous navy dress for the day before her wedding, in which she looked stunning). ?

https://www.elle.com/fashion/celebr...kle-night-before-wedding-roland-mouret-dress/

Last edited by a moderator:
I love love loooooooove that hat.

Have to admit clicking on was easy this morning because I turned the TV to YouTube and selected Royal Ascot and Voilà! Meghan aced it. At first, when I saw Meghan in the Ascot Carriage wearing what appeared to be a shirtwaister top I was a little disappointed.

However, it seems to me that most of Meghan's ensembles are the sum of their parts and I could only see the top. I adored her choice of Philip Treacy millinery magic but until I saw her standing I was undecided. Would it all come together and make a wonderful ensemble or would it be déjà vu?

Then came the full view and I was really impressed. The ordinary shirtwaister was immediately rendered extraordinary with the weight of the material giving the skirt wonderful movement and the asymmetrical hem giving it a softer, lighter appearance which was perfectly in concert with her black and white hat and black belt, clutch and shoes and her dashing Prince!

It was all ver 1950's . . . with a twist.

Last edited:
She looked lovely. The hat stunning, the dress nice. She is feeling her way in. It is a thousand % better than the flowered bathrobe she wore to the wedding. She is trying to fit in.

I've seen the dress in motion now and wowza! What a look! The dress has such great movement to it and Meghan pulls it off well.

Since a few people talked about the movement, here is a video of Harry and Meghan entering Royal Enclosure. Great movement, and of course they are holding hands. :lol:

Have to admit clicking on was easy this morning because I turned the TV to YouTube and selected Royal Ascot and Voilà! Meghan aced it. At first, when I saw Meghan in the Ascot Carriage wearing what appeared to be a shirtwaister top I was a little disappointed.

However, it seems to me that most of Meghan's ensembles are the sum of their parts and I could only see the top. I adored her choice of Philip Treacy millinery magic but until I saw her standing I was undecided. Would it all come together and make a wonderful ensemble or would it be déjà vu?

Then came the full view and I was really impressed. The ordinary shirtwaister was immediately rendered extraordinary with the weight of the material giving the skirt wonderful movement and the asymmetrical hem giving it a softer, lighter appearance which was perfectly in concert with her black and white hat and black belt, clutch and shoes and her dashing Prince!

It was all ver 1950's . . . with a twist.

I'm with you on this one...50's vibe, great fabric and the movement was lovely in the video of them walking. She looks wonderful in it. The hat is just gorgeous too!

LaRae

I thought she nailed it. She really needed to take the attention back to positive, she's had a rotten few days, hasn't she? Bad press from attending a private wedding, and her family problems arising again. I thought in the first photos of Ascot, she looked stressed but in the later ones, she seems more relaxed. Must be awful to be the subject of everyone's judgement on so many fronts. She has my good wishes, for what that's worth!

The Duchess of Sussex at Ascot today, June 19:
** Full view ** Full view ** Upper part ** Upper part 2 ** Upper part 3 ** Upper part 4 ** Upper part 5 **

Exceptionally snazzy in my view! :flowers: When she stays with her preferences we see some great stuff.

This is a particularly impressive photo: Upper part 2

I thought she nailed it.

She did, didn't she! :flowers:

She really needed to take the attention back to positive, she's had a rotten few days, hasn't she? Bad press from attending a private wedding, and her family problems arising again. I thought in the first photos of Ascot, she looked stressed but in the later ones, she seems more relaxed. Must be awful to be the subject of everyone's judgement on so many fronts. She has my good wishes, for what that's worth!

Definitely saw that in the pictures. Poor kid! :sad: A feeling she's being beaten down a bit. Hope she can get some positive vibes in the foreign travels. She needs to stay far away from her press. On some level I think she may be embarrassed by all the trouble her family has been causing, not to mention being blind-sided by her father.

I think a positive sign is she and Harry were traveling with Edward and Sophie in the carriage. If anyone can help Meghan deal with all this stuff from a professional standpoint (and personal) it would be Sophie (imo).

Last edited:
Okay, so I will be in the minority on this outfit. The outfit to me was plain and boring, nothing special except for the hem. The hat however, I absolutely loved, best one yet.

After further viewing I would like to change my opinion on the shirtdress and put it as a miss; it seems too informal for the event. Additionally, the shoes are hideous, but I still love the hat.

:previous:

I agree. Lovely for a garden party, but much too casual for Ascot.

It's Ascot, not even ladies' day, not a black tie event. It calls for the same level of style as a royal garden party. No need for a lace covered my fair lady look.

She looks fantastic. I love the retro vibe. And totally in love with the hat :flowers:

Cant believe I missed her Ascot debut due to a broken computer :sad:

:previous:

I agree. Lovely for a garden party, but much too casual for Ascot.
Hmm I think even a garden party would require a better outfit... Then again I've never been to a garden party. [emoji6]
This shirt dress looks like something I'd wear to a BBQ.

They must have fancy BBQ in Texas...must be high society. BBQ here folks wear casual clothing. That dress would be like Sunday wear.

LaRae

My cousin went to the University of Georgia and she said southern women wear heels to a tailgate party, so a dress to bbq seems about right.

Most people wouldn’t wear a white dress to a barbecue! The Duchess of Gloucester wore a lovely shirt dress to Ascot yesterday.

And Meghan’s shoes were perfectly plain black heels, hardly hideous.

My cousin went to the University of Georgia and she said southern women wear heels to a tailgate party, so a dress to bbq seems about right.

Yes I've seen similar attire in photos of Ole Miss tailgates. ?

Tailgate in some southern states with big football schools are quite different. It's almost like people going to the horse track, although not quite as over the top. People get more dressed up compared to other equivalent events. Just because they'd wear high heels to tailgating, doesn't mean they dress up to go to a BBQ.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom