The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion Part 21: March 2017 - May 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is something that bugs me about today's outfit. I can't put my finger on it, don't know if it's the hat, the jewels or what.

The jewelry bugs me. She always looks so matchy and safe. The matched set looks like something from the clearance shelf of so-called "fine jewelry" in a department store.

I thought Catherine looked nice and sophisticated. The colour of her coat is beautiful. At first I wasn't keen on her hat but now that I've taken a better look at it, I've changed my opinion. It's lovely.

I don't like the hat and I don't think it works so well with the coat. She could do better.

The blue dress is fantastic. Very beautiful and regal look. I also love the hat.

Catherine looked great in that coat, its such a lovely piece IMO. The downside of the look was how she wore her hat, it was a nice match but it was too pulled down around the front.

Catherine looked great in that coat, its such a lovely piece IMO. The downside of the look was how she wore her hat, it was a nice match but it was too pulled down around the front.

Maybe that's it. I loved the coat dress. Very classy. Good color for her. Her hair and jewelry were nice. The few times she's worn a hat, she's worn them well. Maybe the hat was too low for her. Or I'm just not used to seeing her with that style hat.

I keep looking at the hat and wanting to love it. I love love love hats and love this style hat. But I just can't.

Maybe it is the positioning :ermm: To me it looks big on her. Kind of reminds me of her playing dress up with grown up clothes.

I love her in a hat, a real brimmed hat. I love the gray ine at commonwealth last year, looks fantastic. This just doesn't do it.

.The Duchess of Cambridge in a recycled Michael Kors coat at the dedication and unveiling of the Iraq And Afghanistan Memorial in London today, March 9: ** Upper part ** Upper part 2 **

Like the whole ensemble, especially the hat and jewels. :flowers: (I'm finding as I age I'm getting into jewels. Interesting.)

I'm very glad Catherine wore a proper hat today. Getting pretty tired of these ladies wearing these fascinators now.

Agree 100%!!!!! :flowers: Those 'fascinators' (with the rare exception) have always been silly imo.

I keep looking at the hat and wanting to love it. I love love love hats and love this style hat. But I just can't.

Maybe it is the positioning :ermm: To me it looks big on her. Kind of reminds me of her playing dress up with grown up clothes.

I love her in a hat, a real brimmed hat. I love the gray ine at commonwealth last year, looks fantastic. This just doesn't do it.
I understand what you are getting at and I feel the same but something doesn't fit. At first I thought it was the bare v-neck of the very winter tweed coat and I still think that factors in.

But I think the problem is with the hat. It's a gorgeous real hat and a great colour but I think the style is too severe to complement her coatdress. If the brim had had a slight turnback I think it would have suited both Catherine and the coatdress which is reminiscent of the 1950's with it's flare from the waist. But the contrast between the two is just too dramatic regardless of the gorgeous colours involved.

Now had she taken a page from the Prime Minister, she would have tipped the brim up and gone large with a necklace. The tanzanite set, while beautiful, disappear if you are further than a couple of metres away.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/03/09/11/3E1A46B800000578-4296450-image-a-144_1489060090287.jpg
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/03/09/16/3E1B644F00000578-4296450-image-m-289_1489076942109.jpg

From that one pic, she looks great! Love it, great color and style!

LaRae

beautiful! i wonder if this is what she will wear in paris or whether she will change before landing. it would make sense to wear this in paris - it is elegant and doubles up for both kinds of events.

Perfect outfit and colour for St Patrick's Day!

The coat is fine, the hair not so much.(..)

Last edited by a moderator:
front View - http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017...had_his_wife_shamrock_-m-64_1489750297025.jpg

I both like this coat/dress and don't at the same time! Ha. I'm so confused. I love the "formality", and this kind of outfit makes Catherine look so chic. The fascinator, I don't mind would LOVE a proper green hat.

Can't wait for Paris.

The advantage to the fascinator is that she is not stuck dealing with any hat head for the rest of the day. I'm over teeny hats too, but there are times where they are just the practical choice.

Funny, l like "real hats" better than fascinators, too, but this hat didn't seem to fit for me either. I think it may be because it didn't match the outfit. The Queen's hats always look nice because they are very well matched to the rest of her ensemble.

The St. Patrick's Day fascinator, OTOH (if that's considered a fascinator) l like. It fits well with the coat dress.

Last edited:
beautiful! i wonder if this is what she will wear in paris or whether she will change before landing. it would make sense to wear this in paris - it is elegant and doubles up for both kinds of events.
I agree. Does she have another version of this hat in black? Its shape is very familiar.

I agree. Does she have another version of this hat in black? Its shape is very familiar.

It looks a lot like her hat from Christmas Day 2015, but when you look at the shape, it seems to be different. The Christmas hat is a bit pointy on the front, this hat is completely round. However, the colour and the flower on the back are the same.

Photographs differ?

Funny, l like "real hats" better than fascinators, too, but this hat didn't seem to fit for me either. I think it may be because it didn't match the outfit. The Queen's hats always look nice because they are very well matched to the rest of her ensemble.

The St. Patrick's Day fascinator, OTOH (if that's considered a fascinator) l like. It fits well with the coat dress.

If one takes a look at the photographs the velvet detail on the coat looks black in some and dark green in others. The fascinator also looks different shades of green in different photographs. It is also rather cold and breezy in England right now. Perhaps this type of headpiece is easier to secure with long hair than a more formal hat? Just a thought.

Catherine in Paris wearing the same outfit as earlier but without the facinsator and with open hair.

Full view ** Full view 2

I like the coat and the color, it's a classic coat and the velvet detailing is interesting. I don't care much for the buttons. In Paris, I would've liked to see her hair half pulled back.

Earlier look with the fascinator, it was nice and appropriate for the event.

Surprised she didn't bother to change her outfit ...

Surprised she didn't bother to change her outfit ...

I dont think she needed to. IMO, she was elegantly and appropriately dressed for both events.

I dont think she needed to. IMO, she was elegantly and appropriately dressed for both events.

Oh it's perfectly appropriate. I just remember when the Queen made her state visit back in 2014, she changed her outfit 4 times between London and the official meeting with the President.

Even though the outfit was appropriate for both events I'd have expected her to change because it's very different events. There is no need to greet the French president wearing something that has lasted through the day already.

I like the coat, especially the design with the buttons, very elegant.

Even though the outfit was appropriate for both events I'd have expected her to change because it's very different events. There is no need to greet the French president wearing something that has lasted through the day already.

I like the coat, especially the design with the buttons, very elegant.

She's already going to need to wear three different outfits today. Four seems excessive when one was appropriate for both events.

I'm disappointed she didn't change into something more fitting for Paris I was hoping for a show stopper

Her cocktail dress and evening dress (and new jewelry) made up for the lack of change earlier.

LaRae

I think Catherine's coat was gorgeous and I particularly like the velvet detail on her sleeves and pockets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom