The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion Part 15: July 2014 - September 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If the Queen can wear bright lime green to commemorate the D-Day landings, then Kate can certainly wear cream to commemorate the start of WW1. Heck, Camilla wore cream for the D-Day ceremonies and no-one said that was inappropriate.

The mind boggles that people think Kate's skirt is too short, it truly does. Now I remember why I generally avoid these fashion threads like the plague. I think I'll go back to doing that.

The D-Day landings are more eh... "festive" because it was the start of the good news, the renewed hope on liberation of Nazi tyranny. This event, the start of World War I, one of the most horrorful bloodsheds ever, has no any festive note whatsoever. President Hollande, for an example, wore a dark suit and a dark tie. The same for the German President, Mr Gauck.

The mind boggles that people think Kate's skirt is too short, it truly does. Now I remember why I generally avoid these fashion threads like the plague. I think I'll go back to doing that.

Please don't stop posting here we need a balance .
I agree with you. Compare the length of this outfit to ones Kate has previously worn. This is a fine length and I can't see any issues with the curtesy either.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Too short, boring colour and she could have done better for the event. Usual really.

What colour would you suggest for such an occasion?

Last edited by a moderator:
The D-Day landings are more eh... "festive" because it was the start of the good news, the renewed hope on liberation of Nazi tyranny. This event, the start of World War I, one of the most horrorful bloodsheds ever, has no any festive note whatsoever. President Hollande, for an example, wore a dark suit and a dark tie. The same for the German President, Mr Gauck.

Over 4000 people died on D-Day, that isn't really festive. The guys are always going to be wearing dark suits. We all knew that William would have on his Household Calvary tie and a dark suit if they were doing suits instead of uniforms. Both this service and the D-Day service didn't call for all black mourning dress like the Cenotaph service does or all the women would have done it.

Kate wore a cream outfit which was fine. It almost standard for these types of event that its a pastel, cream or ice blue McQueen.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I think she looked fine. Her skirt length was the same as Queen M's. Both of them looked appropriate for the occasion.

What colour would you suggest for such an occasion?

Ice blue like Mathilde would have been nice, a structured red ensemble would have been lovely for the poppy link, cream lace dress would have been good with a coloured coat, mint green perhaps.

I don't care for this outfit. The color is fine but there is something off about the style. It might be the pleat under the bustline, which doesn't seem to be well done. It also could be that in general, I don't care for Alexander McQueen designs. I have never understood the adulation that they seem to inspire. The designs just don't live up to their billing and certainly aren't worth half of the price charged.

Ice blue like Mathilde would have been nice, a structured red ensemble would have been lovely for the poppy link, cream lace dress would have been good with a coloured coat, mint green perhaps.

Yes they are all lovely suggestions, but Kate has worn all the colours you mention - in some cases quite frequently, so I don't think that cream is her usual colour.

Well, I just think it is very nice to see Catherine dressed up for a formal occasion and I hope we see more of her in this sort of outfit. I like this sort of thing more than the tea dresses and casual.

I liked the color and the hat. I don't care for the collar or the style of the top of the dress. Perhaps Lady Marlboro articulated my problem with the dress: the pleat around the bustline. The skirt of the dress was fine, but it should have been at knee length.

I think she looks nice here I am sure that she could have chosen another pale colour but this is appropiate enough IMO

Love it from head to toe, especially the hat. Like K outfit better than M outfit.

Yes, I also think Kate's dress is better than Mathilde's - the latter seems flimsy and in need of better lining. For some who think Kate's dress is not solemn enough for the occasion, I think Mathilde's dress is even more dressy than Kate's. Just imagine, Mathilde could have put on a pearl necklace and the dress is all ready to be a dress to a dinner.

Last edited:
HM The Queen wore cream today. I'll just go to that thread and see what criticism she's getting.

I think Catherine looked appropriate, liked the colour and the length(actually in some pix of her and Mathilde sitting down, Matilde is showing more knee but I dont think thats a problem).

I thought to start with that this outfit was a skirt suit but realise now that it isnt. My issue with it is that the pleated area sticks out where it joins the dropped hem. I prefer a softer line. But thats just personal preference.

Love the hat. The outfit needed a touch of colour.

I thought it was spot on. Demure, yet stylish. The hat matched the clutch exactly which also matched the shoes and these were a slightly darker tone than the suit dress (which BTW is exactly the approach used by Queen M, who wore gray hat, clutch, shoes w/ her powder blue dress.) Catherine's ensemble would have been extra special if she could have borrowed a broach from HM w/ the colors of the flower on her hat. Catherine's outfit was certainly more suited to the occasion, IMO, than Queen M's outfit which looked like she was heading to a cocktail party w/ the pearls at the waist, low décolletage and spiky heels. Queen M's dress didn't hang in a very flattering way perhaps because the fabric was so light weight which may also explain why we can see the outline of her undergarments in the bodice area.

Catherine's outfit was beautiful and totally appropriate to the occasion. I do, however, dislike those teensy tiny hats sitting precariously on her head (ditto for Queen Mathilde's satellite hat!). (...)

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge in Belgium | MYROYALS &HOLLYWOOD FASHİON

I guess I must not be picky enough. Here's a beautiful young woman with lovely skin, beautiful hair, a fantastic build, gorgeous legs and adorable smile with dimples. Her elegant coat/dress is by a world-famous designer, impeccably fitted, a dignified yet youthful style, and matched by comfortable and demure shoes. What else could she do? And the hat is flattering and fresh-looking.

I guess I must not be picky enough. Here's a beautiful young woman with lovely skin, beautiful hair, a fantastic build, gorgeous legs and adorable smile with dimples. Her elegant coat/dress is by a world-famous designer, impeccably fitted, a dignified yet youthful style, and matched by comfortable and demure shoes. What else could she do? And the hat is flattering and fresh-looking.

I'm with you; Catherine looks lovely. This was a formal and dignified occasion, and the outfit chosen reflected that. The length of the skirt is fine. It's not as if half her thighs are on display :bang:. I love the hat. It completes the look.

Of the ladies that I saw at this morning's event, three including Catherine were wearing off white or cream as the main color. IMO all were appropriately dressed for the occasion.

IMHO the focus remained upon the solemn event today.

I love this outfit (and think it's perfectly appropriate). In fact, as soon as I saw a picture of the outfit, it became a new favorite (and I also guessed it must have been McQueen, because almost all of my favorite outfits of Kate's are from McQueen). I also thought, "oh, Kate looks so lovely and well put together, I suspect there won't be too many complaints about this look." I should know by now to never expect that.:lol: Different strokes for different folks.

And, to me, the hat really makes the whole look. The dress itself is lovely, but needed just the right accessory, and I think the hat does the trick.

Agreed totally. I thought today's look was appropriate and dignified but also youthful and flattering. Nothing wrong with it in my opinion.

I always like her in McQueen.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Lovely outfit. The combination of that long hair with the beret did not win me. It would have looked more poised with the hair up. I am surprised to see the ladies at this event in bright colours, as if it was a fun event. I expected more subdued colours.

I find it interesting that both women opted for light colours - something that may have been discussed ahead of the event (although I find that a little unlikely).

Well duc, it seems the Elly C has spotted a trend. The Queen in Warm White/Cream at Crathie Kirk, Catherine in Clotted Cream in Belgium and Camilla in Winter White at Westminster Cathedral. In view of an obvious message I withdraw my reservations that Catherine had not dressed correctly for the occasion. It seems the House of Windsor wished to present a united front.

The Queen: http://t.co/wpljBVwhC8

Duchess of Cornwall: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/08/04/article-2715326-204183BB00000578-192_964x642.jpg

I only found one head shot of the Countess of Wessex but she too seems to have been wearing a very light coloured dress/coat?

Kate looked great and that is one lovely coat dress but I have to say that the collar was childish. The hat was great as it added that right amount of color to the outfit.

Over 4000 people died on D-Day, that isn't really festive. The guys are always going to be wearing dark suits. We all knew that William would have on his Household Calvary tie and a dark suit if they were doing suits instead of uniforms. Both this service and the D-Day service didn't call for all black mourning dress like the Cenotaph service does or all the women would have done it.

Kate wore a cream outfit which was fine. It almost standard for these types of event that its a pastel, cream or ice blue McQueen.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

That is why I used the phrase "eh... festive" but on the Continent D-Day is seen as the first ray of hope, the first real proof that the Nazi-monster was going to be tamed. Of course our Soviet-Union allies did the hard work, under unbelievable suffering and at the cost of countless lives, they were the first to deliver blow after blow to the Germans but naturally D-Day had more direct impact for my country and the rest of West-Europe. It is not, like the Somme, Passchendaele, Verdun or Gallipoli associated with senseless killings for no any progress. I for myself was very surprised to see the ladies in light colours but that is a personal preference. My family has suffered enormous casualties in WWI and it is a bit weird to see the commemoration of the start (!) and not the end of the WWI more or less festively.

:sad:

Well I have to admit I was surprised by Catherine's ensemble. An indeterminate clotted cream coloured suit with a peter pan collar which was, needless to say, a little short for the occasion. I am at a loss as to her colour choice for such an important event. It was a solemn remembrance, a 100 Year commemmoration of what was known as The War to End All Wars. Against Queen Mathilde's mute pale grey/blue, it came up short.

Her natty little hat sailed alone because to did not remotely match or accent any other item she wore which was a shame because it is really quite lovely.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/08/04/article-2715336-203CE0D100000578-596_470x680.jpg

Oh dear, it is never easy to curtsey to a King or Queen when your skirt is too short. She looks awkward and gangly trying to get low enough to be polite.

http://i.imgur.com/IqrJ31N.jpg

Disagree entirely. The hat's principal color matched the color of her suit. It seems that you're trying to read too much into her disposition when curtsying, and the skirt lay at a nice (and modest) place when she sat - to say nothing of the fact that she sat quite demurely with knees together.

That is why I used the phrase "eh... festive" but on the Continent D-Day is seen as the first ray of hope, the first real proof that the Nazi-monster was going to be tamed. Of course our Soviet-Union allies did the hard work, under unbelievable suffering and at the cost of countless lives, they were the first to deliver blow after blow to the Germans but naturally D-Day had more direct impact for my country and the rest of West-Europe. It is not, like the Somme, Passchendaele, Verdun or Gallipoli associated with senseless killings for no any progress. I for myself was very surprised to see the ladies in light colours but that is a personal preference. My family has suffered enormous casualties in WWI and it is a bit weird to see the commemoration of the start (!) and not the end of the WWI more or less festively.

:sad:

Are you confusing the first and second World Wars?

Catherine looks good in royal blue, still very plain jane for me. The hair is a bore yet again.

Today would have been a perfect opportunity to trot out one of her green outfits.. it would have made the red of the poppies 'pop' !

Nevertheless [as always] she looked fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom