The Duchess of Cambridge as Royal Patron of East Anglia’s Children’s Hospices

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ooh, thanks ghost_night. It'll be a belated birthday present for me!

Happy belated birthday, EIIR!:flowers:

And thanks for the heads-up, ghost_night; good thing I'm on vacation this week so I'll be able to watch live stream.:flowers:

Happy belated birthday, EIIR!:flowers:

And thanks for the heads-up, ghost_night; good thing I'm on vacation this week so I'll be able to watch live stream.:flowers:

It's actually my birthday today, Baroness, so your very kind sentiments are not belated at all. Thank you :flowers:.

Just a heads up from what I've seen most of the royal journalists will be there tomorrow as this is a big moment in Catherine's royal career. btw happy birthday EIIR.

I'll try my absolute hardest to stay up as long as possible and cover what I can of tomorrow's event.

Last edited:
I hope and sure she will do well. Once she does, she would solidify herself as a someone worthy of being royal.

Hi guys ok so I got times for tomorrow's event. Kate's speech goes down at 11:30am UK time so it would be 4:30am PST/7:30amEST it will be streamed live on hellomagazine.com and on ITN News' facebook page.

Looks like there has been a time change?

The Duchess will be arriving at The Treehouse at around 10:30am

-@EACH_hospices twitter

That would make it 3:30a.m.PST/6:30a.m.EST

Last edited:
Learning public speaking in a classroom with a few dozen people isn't the same as being in front of the world media where every word and expression will be scrutinized and dissected.

No, it's not. I'm not sure that university can (ever) teach that. If she wasn't prepared for that, psychologically, then she wasn't prepared to get married to William. Is a person ever completely prepared for such scrutiny? Well, maybe not. But, fortunately, not every person dissects every word and expression - only some media (particularly in the U.K.) and one would probably do best to steer clear of poring over what is said about one.

I don't think anyone is ever completely prepared, not even people who do public speaking as a business/political career. My concern is that the media (and yes in the UK particularly) will make decisions on her suitability for this role on this one/first occasion. And they probably won't be the only ones.

And she does have my sympathy because as I've done public speaking but have been able to "calm down" by talking to my husband both before and after the event. And she doesn't have that right now.

Looks like there has been a time change?

The Duchess will be arriving at The Treehouse at around 10:30am

-@EACH_hospices twitter

That would make it 3:30a.m.PST/6:30a.m.EST

Not a time change just when the actual event begins the actual speech won't take place till 11:30am UK time.

I've been told The duchess has been practicing her speech in front of family, friends and a mirror.

So basically I'll most likely be killed by my parents if they catch me awake at 3:30am tomorrow morning but that's ok it's a risk I'm willing to take cause I really won't be able to live with missing this appearance. So I'll prob go to bed and set my cell's alarm for 3:30am and sleep with the phone under my pillow so no one but me hears it when it goes off.

Article: Kate Duchess of Cambridge: Ipswich Visit
Local News - Heart Suffolk

Alright East Anglia's Children's Hospices have opened a page whereby one can donate and leave a message in honour of tomorrow's event
http://www.each.org.uk/gift-of-care/pages/the-treehouse-official-opening

Last edited:
Not a time change just when the actual event begins the actual speech won't take place till 11:30am UK time.

I've been told The duchess has been practicing her speech in front of family, friends and a mirror.

So basically I'll most likely be killed by my parents if they catch me awake at 3:30am tomorrow morning but that's ok it's a risk I'm willing to take cause I really won't be able to live with missing this appearance. So I'll prob go to bed and set my cell's alarm for 3:30am and sleep with the phone under my pillow so no one but me hears it when it goes off.

Alright East Anglia's Children's Hospices have opened a page whereby one can donate and leave a message in honour of tomorrow's event
East Anglia's Children's Hospices | Home | The Treehouse Official Opening

Thank you for the clarification ghost_night. That's why I phrased it as a question, because you are always spot on. And I for one thank you for it.

May I ask what time it will be for you for this event? I live in California and I don't know if I can be up at 3:30 in the morning!! Plus, I don't know about anyone else, but this speech thing is giving me hives. I am sooo nervous and I don't even know this woman, nor will I actually be the one speaking in public.

I'm really looking forward to this engagement. I have no doubt that Catherine will do wonderfully when it comes to her speech. She lights up a room, and children seem to flock to her. This place is probably the best option for getting her feet wet when it comes to public speaking. I'm guessing the atmosphere will be relatively informal. I hope she knocks their socks off :D.

East Anglia's Children's Hospices | Home | The Treehouse Official Opening

And so my updates begin
Heart East Anglia ‏ @HeartEastAnglia WEATHER: Frosty to start across #Suffolk & #Norfolk with high of 13. Great for the royal visit to @EACH_hospices in #Ipswich this morning!
EACH ‏ @EACH_hospices Ooh, blue skies over Ipswich this morning! Hope the sun stays out for the #EACHroyalvisit :)
EACH ‏ @EACH_hospices Staff are arriving at The Treehouse for the #EACHroyalvisit - and the sun is shining :)
Mark Stewart ‏ @RegalEyes Long day ahead which starts this morning at #EACH_hospices Ipswich for the Duchess of Cambridge visit and ends in Oslo for P of Wales tour
Simon Perry ‏ @SPerryPeoplemag Stunning spring morning in Ipswich for visit of Kate to @EACH_hospices. #EACHroyalvisit
EACH ‏ @EACH_hospices Media are starting to arrive at The Treehouse for the #EACHroyalvisit - we're all getting quite excited now!
Robert Jobson ‏ @theroyaleditor #royal Kate's first public speech today for @EACH_hospices - I remember vividly Diana's "I quit" speech #timeflies
Robert Jobson ‏ @theroyaleditor #royal Big day for my old newspaper the East Anglian Daily Times with Kate in town. Will make a splash for editor Terry Hunt and his team.
ok off to bed cause I don't feel too well, plus I have class in the morning. Looks like that's it for the updates till the actual event begins.

Last edited:
There is a lot of excitement in Ipswich today :) Gutted I can't make it down there to see Catherine today as I am only a couple of miles away :(

It is great she is visiting though and providing EACH with the publicity it deserves. A fantastic cause and they have worked so hard to raise the money to build this treehouse hospice

I can just imagine all the excitement in Ipswich and a wonderful cause too.

Last edited:
Kate arrived, she wears a royal blue dress from Reiss with her black bealt. Hair down.

Very good choice, we call it Ipswich blue in this part of the country :) She must have a football fan advising her!

Is it true? if it is she was very well informed or very wise woman

Royal Blue is the colour of our local sports teams. In fact the Duke of Cambridge was oncr spotted wearing a Ipswich Town football shirt when playing in a game when he was at university.

It may just be a coincidence but it does come across like a extra bit of effort has been made for the town.

Royal Blue is the colour of our local sports teams. In fact the Duke of Cambridge was oncr spotted wearing a Ipswich Town football shirt when playing in a game when he was at university.

It may just be a coincidence but it does come across like a extra bit of effort has been made for the town.

What if she'd turned up in Norwich green and yellow? ;) She'd have been chased out of town!

Certainly not a coincidence if I can say! good for her

What if she'd turned up in Norwich green and yellow? ;) She'd have been chased out of town!

You shouldn't joke about things like that, especially when they are above us in the league :p

Seriously though it is little touches like that which do make a event that extra special for us. No one else will probably pick up on that but blue is a colour very close to the hearts of many Ipswich residents

And the first picture: Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge, arrives to open a children's hospice in Ipswich, eastern England March 19, 2012.
She looks lovely. :)

I think a lot of royals actually do make that extra bit of effort during official engagements, wearing colours or brooches or other accessories that are associated with that particular region/country/city. Before most official engagements, royals are briefed about the places they are about to visit and people they will meet. Accordingly, they make decisions that will, in some way, honour those. A nice touch, and I agree that small things like that make a visit all the more special. Very thoughtful on part of Kate and her advisers. :)

Calm and collected Kate arrives to give speech
The Duchess of Cambridgehttp://www.hellomagazine.com/profiles/kate-middleton/ has arrived to give her first ever public speech. Kate looked calm and collected as she arrived at the Treehouse Hospice in Ipswich, wearing a purple dress by Reiss from Autumn/Winter 2008. Excited schoolchildren waved Union flags as the 30-year-old royal chatted to officials outside the new facility.

Something borrowed, something blue: Duchess of Cambridge wears mother's Reiss dress for first public address as Royal patron of children's hospices charity

The Duchess of Cambridge looked calm and confident as she prepared to give her first public address today. Kate, 30, arrived at The Treehouse children's hospice in Ipswich, Suffolk, wearing a deep blue dress from High Street store Reiss clasped at the waist by a thick black belt for a tour of the new £3 million facility which cares for seriously and terminally ill children.
- Kate upon arrival
- Kate chats to people
- The Reiss dress as worn by Carole Middleton

Last edited by a moderator:
On Sky News they've called that a 'flawless' delivery. Very careful, she's obviously spent a lot of time practicing. I think she did really well.

One thing though. Kate's accent is posher than William's.

:previous:
That's what I thought too. The accent was a bit... weird.
Very nice delivery though.

A gallery from Getty.
A gallery from Zimbio.

Last edited:

As Pippa doesn't sound that posh, I wonder where Catherine got the accent from? :p

I think too she did really really well. and she wrote her speech herself ! I like that she choose not the speeck to be written by somebody else and I really like what she said. very personal and warm. A little slow but it's her first so she just need a litlle practice. and unlike william when he began to talk a few speech, I absolutly understood everything she said.

As Pippa doesn't sound that posh, I wonder where Catherine got the accent from? :p

She sounded as if she had rehearsed it with a speech trainer and those people tend to be very client-orientated when it comes to the "social" level of a way to talk. So I guess her coach trained her that way, by purpose or unintentionally, to speak as "befitting a Royal Highness".

I didn't get the impression that her speech is overly posh on those rare times her voice could be heard and I guess it will become "normal" again very soon - the more contact with people from all social levels she has, the better. But maybe she watched too much of the Windsor's private family archive of video and films at home.....:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom