The Royal Foundation of the Prince and Princess of Wales 2: Sep 2022 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It is really amazing how thoroughly HRH The Prince of Wales has researched this initiative, surrounded himself with organizations that will actually be able to combat homelessness, come up with concrete plans, and even discussed using Cornwall lands for housing (at least that's what I've read).

It's a grand undertaking, but I believe that HRH The Prince of Wales's unique position gives him the influence to push the minds and hearts of other power players into doing the right thing.

Two concerns, however:

1. The BRF is expected to be apolitical, but many of the reasons for homelessness are very political, so I wonder how HRH The Prince of Wales will balance that. Then again, HM The King was able to championed many causes deemed "political" through The Prince's Trust, and everything turned out fine for him. HRH The Prince of Wales, oftentimes more popular than his father, will probably have a similar if not better reception.
2. Naturally, the focus is on providing permanent housing, but what happens afterwards? I may have missed it, but does the initiative cover maintaining permanent housing after a homeless person has received it? It would be pretty disappointing for HRH The Prince of Wales to put in all of this work only for many of the people he helped to lose their permanent housing within three months.

Judging by parnerts listed on their website and charities William was/is visiting, it seems this initiative does not only about providing house but also the support system so they can keep their house (so basically following what Finland has been doing). I think it's also smart that it's "customised": for locals by locals, and not generalised because the homelessness issue in London (big city) most likely would be different than the costal or suburban.

The first stop today is Belfast and the next stop is Aberdeen.

Last edited:
Judging by parnerts listed on their website and charities William was/is visiting, it seems this initiative does not only about providing house but also the support system so they can keep their house (so basically following what Finland has been doing). I think it's also smart that it's "customised": for locals by locals, and not generalised because the homelessness issue in London (big city) most likely would be different than the costal or suburban.

The first stop today is Belfast and the next stop is Aberdeen.

This sounds like a very well thought out initiative. Nice that they have a successful template (Finland) to look at.

I welcome Prince William's turn to do something about homelessness.

But I think, that he should keep in mind, that this can become easily political! And political issues should be avoided by a Monarchy, that wants to survive in modern day circumstances, like the plague.

Social housing, the infamous American "Projects", there can come a lot of bad stuff out off well meant ideas. Or the subprime crisis of 2008...

In the end somebody has to pay! Let us hope it will not be the staunch monarchists!

The mentioned Finland? A social welfare state! Something, England never has been!

I want to applaud the PoW but, honestly, I find this a little hard to digest. The big goal of ending homelessness as his life's mission is just setting himself up for failure. Especially as it is an extremely political issue. It also is a little eye rolling considering he is now, technically, one of the biggest land owners, landlords, and wealthiest person's in the UK. I wish he had kept his mission statements and goals a little more realistic or just go the full nine yards and donate his millions and millions and millions of yearly income to it.

I want to applaud the PoW but, honestly, I find this a little hard to digest. The big goal of ending homelessness as his life's mission is just setting himself up for failure. Especially as it is an extremely political issue. It also is a little eye rolling considering he is now, technically, one of the biggest land owners, landlords, and wealthiest person's in the UK. I wish he had kept his mission statements and goals a little more realistic or just go the full nine yards and donate his millions and millions and millions of yearly income to it.

Good points. It is a rather big goal. And political.

Still- I give him credit for trying to tackle the issue.

IMO what he is trying to achieve requires more than money, you can throw all the money you like at something but it requires involvement , commitment, multi organisations and services. I have the impression that yes he is putting money in from his foundation but he is also trying to use his influence to make the right connection s.
There is more to resolving homelessness than just building houses. People become homeless for lots of reasons , not always political.
I also find it disappointing that because somebody is rich and has influence somehow in some peoples eyes that makes him the wrong person to try and do good.
If you use that argument why not make a rule that nobody should be allowed to own second homes. No holiday homes. That causes problems in small communities .
Would people prefer him to just flit from home to home enjoying himself , turning his back on social issues.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't comes to mind

Indeed.

I used to think that some issues can be solved simply with money/enough funding. Then I was volunteering in an organisation related to that issue and I start to change my mind. Sometimes it's just like covering leaking roof with plastic. Sure, it might help the next time it rain, but not for long and the problem is still there. It's just doing the bare minimum. William is in a position where he can do more than giving money, so why not?

How sad it would be if nobody do anything to some issue because such line of thinking "it's the government's job, not mine." In fact, I applaud William for doing this initiative despite the risk of the backlash and criticism. Another analogy, imagine seeing a child falls and needs help but just watching from afar because "it's not my kid, let the parents deal with it" or doing nothing because "what if I help but then the parent accuse me of hurting the kid and sue me".

William will be criticised either way, but at least by doing this initiative, if he manages to help just one person, it will be one less homeless in the UK. It won't means much in statistic, but I'm sure it means the world for that person.

An opinion piece from Yorkshire Post from a person who has been closely involved and worked in this cause:

Prince William may live in a palace but he can still feel for the homeless

Archive

(...)

We can give out blankets, food, clothes and hot drinks every week and beg for more but no matter how generous our donors, we know we are only just papering over the cracks, that for those who find somewhere to live, others will soon come to take their place.

(...)

Homelessness*is not just about providing four walls and saying “there you are, that’s one saved”. It is supporting them to stay there. And believing they can do it until they believe the same.

(...)And I know that he gets it when he talks of buying food or a drink rather than throwing money in a cup because that way you are forced to make eye contact rather than just walk by.

(...)

The last quoted sentence is similar to what I felt, I I change my opinion about solving problem with money, because most of the time, it's basically just throwing money to the beggar and walk away.

IMO what he is trying to achieve requires more than money, you can throw all the money you like at something but it requires involvement , commitment, multi organisations and services. I have the impression that yes he is putting money in from his foundation but he is also trying to use his influence to make the right connection s.
There is more to resolving homelessness than just building houses. People become homeless for lots of reasons , not always political.
I also find it disappointing that because somebody is rich and has influence somehow in some peoples eyes that makes him the wrong person to try and do good.
If you use that argument why not make a rule that nobody should be allowed to own second homes. No holiday homes. That causes problems in small communities .
Would people prefer him to just flit from home to home enjoying himself , turning his back on social issues.

I wouldn't say it's the homelessness itself that's political, but rather the potential solutions. As many people pointed out, the problems with homelessness are going to take a lot more than throwing money at the problem; it's going to take structural and institutional change, and changes on those levels are often political. For example, if the British government, in support of Homewards' goal of ending homelessness in five years, decides to raises taxes on all British citizens by 5% in order to maintain public housing for a period of three years while the formerly homeless get on their feet, how many of those citizens will happily agree to that?

Having said that, HRH The Prince of Wales has clearly researched this issue thoroughly and passionately, and he is in the perfect position to actually make headway on the issue. Also, HM The King was able to help many in spite of criticism about his political progressiveness, and HRH The Prince of Wales will probably do the same.

William will be criticised either way, but at least by doing this initiative, if he manages to help just one person, it will be one less homeless in the UK. It won't means much in statistic, but I'm sure it means the world for that person.
This reminds me of the criticism of Charles's environmental activism decades ago. I suppose there will always be a certain segment of people who want royals to stick to unveiling plaques and visiting hospital wards, but I appreciate William for following in his father's footsteps by trying to make a tangible, measurable impact on important issues affecting society. The companies that have been finalists and winners of the Earthshot Prize have spoken glowingly about the impact on their businesses, and I was really impressed to read about how many legal prosecutions have resulted from the work United For Wildlife is doing. Based on those successes, I will be very interested to see how Homewards progresses in helping reduce homelessness.

Almost every charity and cause can be argued as being political because they're filling a gap not met by government funds.

I sincerely applaud William for his initiatives to end homelessness and he's well known amongst the NGOs as a genuine supporter. He's not in it to raise his profile, build his brand or massage his ego. He just wants to use his position to make a positive impact on the lives of those much less fortunate than himself.

When Marcus Rashford started raising money to help reduce child food poverty, people moaned that it should be up to the government, not footballers. They were probably the same people who moan that footballers are overpaid. People in positions of privilege can't win.

I doubt that William will be able to end homelessness, but his position and money mean that he will be able to help some people. And that's better than not helping anyone.

All charities are political, to some extent, because no cause would need funding if the state could fund everything. But it can't.

There already is social housing on Duchy land - Poundbury which is a pet project of Charles' and built on Duchy land is 38% social housing but of course that is Charles' project and so not worth anything.

William only gets good ideas from Diana who may have raised awareness but Charles actually did things to help.

I remember reading about a homeless shelter being built in London years ago and they were going on and on about how many people they could get off the streets at night and Charles suggested a room where they could get a cuppa and read a paper i.e. they weren't just a statistic but a real person. Who also wanted to ensure that there was someone there who could help get the homeless into training and/or jobs i.e. practical help.

William needs to listen to his father as much as follow his mother's footsteps as Charles has been doing work in this area for decades.

I don't think the point of a lengthy Times interview with the heir to the throne was — at all — "I only got my ideas from my mother" and "anything from Charles is worthless".

Agree. While the author of the piece references Diana several times, there is not one quote from William doing so.

I really liked the final sentence of the interview: "He can’t do politics, but he can do human."

At least his doing something. Unlike some people in power.... :whistling:

The Prince of Wales paid a visit to a construction site in London today, September 13, to "discuss the prevalence of suicide in the construction industry, and highlight the crucial need to focus on prevention, rather than crisis management, when it comes to mental health support":

** gettyimages gallery **

Last edited:
Here's more information on the National Portage which offers services to parents of young children with special needs throughout England and Wales.

https://www.portage.org.uk/

Portage is a home-visiting educational service for pre-school children with SEND and their families.
Portage aims to:

• work with families to help them develop a quality of life and experience, for themselves and their young children, in which they can learn together, play together, participate and be included in their community in their own right.
  • play a part in minimising the disabling barriers that confront young children and their families.
  • support the national and local development of inclusive services for children.

It is good to see Catherine out and about as she has been in recent weeks. I hope she can keep this momentum up; she and William are the young and energetic faces of the Firm, and need to be out and about.

The Prince and Princess of Wales will be undertaking a series of engagements around the UK next week to mark World Mental Health day on October 10, 2023.

Looking forward to seeing the Prince and Princess of Wales highlighting issues that are important to them, and in the words of the King, bringing fringe issues into the mainstream.

More on the Wales' visit to Birmingham today.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/prince-william-kate-live-birmingham-27877602

The Prince and Princess of Wales are in Birmingham today, October 10, for a very special visit. This is the second time this year the city has hosted Prince William and Kate Middleton - it was only in April that they visited the city, just two weeks before the coronation.
BirminghamLive is spending the afternoon with Prince William and Kate Middletonas they spend time in Digbeth. The Royal Couple are in town for a cause very close to their hearts - mental health.
They are kicking off a series of engagements across the country right here in Birmingham. They are here today to mark World Mental Health Day and will host a forum of young people at Factory Works, in the heart of the Custard Factory.

Back
Top Bottom