General News for Charles III and Queen Camilla Part 2, February 2024-

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ista

Administrator
Site Team
City
the West
Country
United States
UK_zps6c589394.png

Arms of The British Monarch

Welcome to King Charles III and Queen Camilla's
General News Thread, Part Two

Commencing February 1, 2024
The old thread can be found here.

Please take a look at the
TRF Community Rules & FAQs

· Only pictures that you have written permission to share can be posted here. You can post links to any pictures.
· It's a copyright violation to post translations of entire articles, so no more than 20% of an article
text should be posted, along with the link to the original article.
· We expect our members to treat each other, and the royals and persons in these threads, with respect.
· The Report Post button is for reporting inappropriate content in a post if no moderators or administrators are online.
· Threads should remain on topic. Posts which are irrelevant or disruptive
will be deleted or moved by one of the moderators.

Last edited by a moderator:
King Charles and Queen Camilla attended Sunday Church service at St Mary Magdalene Church today, February 4:

** dailymail article **

Glad to see that Charles is well enough to be at church today.

Good to see the King recovering. It is also good to see how C&C increasingly use Sandringham as a base. They hardly spent time there in the previous reign, but they seem to have taken to it.

Yes it does seem to have become rather a favourite during the winter months.

Good to see the King recovering. It is also good to see how C&C increasingly use Sandringham as a base. They hardly spent time there in the previous reign, but they seem to have taken to it.

It is good to see him recovering well.

He is at Sandringham more often. It’s nice to see. I wonder what changed.

To be fair, it’s quite different to visit your own house rather than your mother’s house, no matter how much you love your mother. This is the first time Sandringham has been his. Based on how much he loved doing up Highgrove, I hope he has a lot of fun changing up the gardens and house at Sandringham to better reflect his own taste, which is quite good.

It probably doesn’t hurt that the Wales family loves their Norfolk home so much. If they can be close at Windsor and close in Norfolk, he will get to see quite a lot of his grandchildren.

To be fair, it’s quite different to visit your own house rather than your mother’s house, no matter how much you love your mother. This is the first time Sandringham has been his. Based on how much he loved doing up Highgrove, I hope he has a lot of fun changing up the gardens and house at Sandringham to better reflect his own taste, which is quite good.

It probably doesn’t hurt that the Wales family loves their Norfolk home so much. If they can be close at Windsor and close in Norfolk, he will get to see quite a lot of his grandchildren.

That is a good point! It is now his home. I knew that, of course, but I hadn’t quite thought of it from the pov of visiting his mom’s home vs it being his own. (Maybe because the Wales have a home on the estate?)

And true- it probably doesn’t hurt that the Wales spend so much time there too. And they’re both at Windsor more. That must be nice.

Didn’t Philip put him in charge of running Sandringham some time before he died?

Didn’t Philip put him in charge of running Sandringham some time before he died?

No - The Queen did, just as years earlier she had put Philip in charge. It was HER property and not Philip's so it was her decision who run the estate.

This time of the year the queen would be in Sandringham until at least the day of her father's death and her own ascension. Given that Charles is now recovering at Sandringham, I expect he will observe that day (Tuesday Feb 6) there as well.

I think Charles is doing quite a lot of work to the Sandringham estate: from rearing rare breed beef, converting the estate to run on organic principles, gradually running down the stud farm, finding ways to increase revenues (there was a story today of glamping on the Sandringham estate), putting in the maze to perhaps redecorating parts of the house.

Conceptualising and planning all of this must take time, and must give Charles a lot of pleasure, hence him spending time there.

It has been announced that King Charles III has been diagnosed with cancer. Posts about this topic have been moved to a separate thread, which you can find here.

Questions about moderator actions should be directed via PM to one of the forum moderators or administrators, not posted in thread, as per TRF rules:

It is mandatory to comply with instructions posted by the moderators and administrators. Complaints about moderator actions should not be made in the threads; instead, send a private message to the moderator concerned or an administrator. If a moderator deletes or edits one of your posts and you disagree with the action, contact the moderator concerned or an administrator; do not repost deleted material or interfere with moderator edits.

It's nice to see him out and about and given that Sandringham is 100 miles from London its isolation is an advantage, given his cancer treatments he needs to avoid infection.

Cometh the hour . . .  cometh Queen Camilla

https://www.ft.com/content/22e9ed4c-3e36-4986-89cc-786dd90ddaf8

It’s been a long road for Queen Camilla, the “other woman” transformed into grand mater familias, who this week stepped up as the public face of Windsor while the other royals are indisposed. According to the court circular, Camilla undertook 233 royal engagements in 2023. It puts her among the harder-working royals: last year, her husband took part in 425 royal engagements, a shade behind Princess Anne, the turbo-Windsor who, at 73, racked up 457, or around 12 events per working week.

If we get the queen who reflects her people, Queen Camilla is a mood: neither chic nor youthful, she embodies a somewhat matronly energy. But what she might lack in glamour she makes up for with vim: she may be a doughty presence in her twin-sets and piecrust collars, but she always wears a grin. Friends and insiders remark frequently on her husky humour and low-key charm; she’s the one everyone wants to sit next to at the table; she’s funny, and shares naughty stories and doesn’t stand on ceremony.

We're just getting pictures of the King and Queen walking to church at rainy Sandringham.

King Charles and Queen Camilla brave heavy rain as they arrive at St Mary Magdalene Church in Sandringham for a Sunday service.

King Charles and Queen Camilla wave to onlookers as they depart St Mary Magdalene Church in Sandringham after attending Sunday service.

We're just getting pictures of the King and Queen walking to church at rainy Sandringham.

Again wonderful to see the king out and walking to the Sunday Church Service,pity about the weather!

Again wonderful to see the king out and walking to the Sunday Church Service,pity about the weather!
I guess royal watchers take it as a sort of 'Proof of Life' event since by dint of his compromised health due to his ongoing treatment. I wouldn't even bet that the PM took a RAT test before confirming the visit.

For all that, it must be quite lonely isolating yourself. Even when people are able, a lot of people forgo visiting people skip visiting cancer sufferers as for all they think positive, they cannot easily help but feel their own mortality.

If I understand , the King has a weekly chimio in London and then returns to Sandringham. It will take weeks. I hope the best for HM and for Queen Camilla who is doing a lot for her age .

If I understand , the King has a weekly chimio in London and then returns to Sandringham. It will take weeks. I hope the best for HM and for Queen Camilla who is doing a lot for her age .
The Queen seems to spend Tuesday to Thursday conducting engagements. Now that half term is over, I hope the Prince of Wales increases his roster of public engagements as well over the coming weeks.

The morning TV shows here in OZ, as well as print and other media, are reporting that talks are underway for a possible visit by The King and The Queen to Australia later this year, to coincide with CHOGM in Samoa. I know this was discussed last year - pre-cancer diagnosis but the PM confirmed it yesterday.

The states are reportedly vying to be in on the visit and I suspect NSW will be a certainty as a major step towards our democracy celebration will be happening here this year - the 200th anniversary of the establishment of the Legislative Council. Initially this was a selected body of 'good and upright citizens' of the colony who advised the Governor, who until that date had had sole say in the government of the colony. By the 1850s most of the colonies were self-governing with an elected Legislative Assembly and an appointed Legislative Council but the first step was any sort of advisory body. An interesting fact is that the NSW Legislative Council was the last to become an elected body. I remember voting in the referendum to change it from an appointed to an elected body.

I hope this visit is able to take place as that will be a sign of how well The King is doing and will be first visit by a reigning Sovereign to Australia since 2011. It would also be Charles' 16th visit. His first visit was in 1966 when he came down under to go to school ... which I suspect could be a reason for a visit to Victoria as well.

Back
Top Bottom