Denmark : Abdication & Accession Day - January 14, 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Will Mary and the children be on the balcony with Frederik or will it just be him and the PM?

I think it was emotional to all three of them, especially to Christian that seemed he was about to break protocol and hug his grandmother and held it back. Probably all emotions happened in a private family setting.

Frederik was so sad looking at the signing like thinking someday he might do the same for an older Christian to take over, too.

At the King's proclamation, he'll reveal his royal motto.

If I was to make an educated guess at it, I'd go with "Med folket for Danmark" or "With The People for Denmark". Echoing his grandfather's motto ("With God for Denmark") and emphasising his connection to the public.

Will Mary and the children be on the balcony with Frederik or will it just be him and the PM?

Hope,yes they will all appear on the balcony,think they will,and,or later at Amalienborg.

Last edited:
Right now politicians and and others are wishing FX&QM well and that is not shown on TV.
I think that's appropriate.

I think it's pretty certain FX&QMs children will join them on the balcony, because this is a happy occasion.
That in contrast if QMII was dead.

It's live on the BBC website. Huge crowds at only two weeks' notice!

Thanks for this - I am unable to open. If someone has another source could they please post this? Thanks!

Try this link for rewatching DR's footage:

https://www.dr.dk/drtv/se/tronskifte_-hm-kong-frederik-10-udraabes-til-konge-af-danmark_432125

Right now politicians and and others are wishing FX&QM well and that is not shown on TV.
I think that's appropriate.

Was it ever reported who the invitees to this reception were? The official schedule simply stated:

14:30 TM The King and Queen hold a levee for specially invited persons

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe they chose not to do that on camera. There is such a thing as wanting to keep some things private. Considering Frederik had tears in his eyes the whole time, there was nothing cold about any of it.

I agree. I don't see anything odd about how this was handled. I am sure the hugs, etc were done in private. I found it very moving.:flowers:

Was it ever reported who the invitees to this reception were? The official schedule simply stated:

14:30 TM The King and Queen hold a levee for specially invited persons

Yes, it was.
It was published on BT earlier today. Their live thread IIRC.

I loved the bit when Christian went and got his farmor's stick for her.

I found the lack of intimacy (a kiss or hug) very sad, perhaps nerves played a part in that. I’ve been so emotional, I can’t shake a sense of sadness.

Queen Margrethe probably thinks the Council of State is not the place for kisses or hugs. Besides, she looked a bit impatient with Frederik.

It's live on the BBC website. Huge crowds at only two weeks' notice!

And it's not even representative of how many people wanted to be there. Entry to Christiansborg's courtyard has been closed off for more than an hour now because it simply cannot hold anymore people.

Yes, it was.
It was published on BT earlier today. Their live thread IIRC.

If you remember, could you give a quick summary? The party leaders and leaders of Parliament?

At the King's proclamation, he'll reveal his royal motto.

If I was to make an educated guess at it, I'd go with "Med folket for Danmark" or "With The People for Denmark". Echoing his grandfather's motto ("With God for Denmark") and emphasising his connection to the public.

Thinking of the article shared earlier by polyesco quoting some Church of Denmark officials who were skeptical about Frederik's commitment to the church and religion, it will be interesting to see if there is a reference to God in his motto.

https://www.bt.dk/royale/kongehusets-praest-afsloerer-kong-frederik-oenskede-selv-festgudstjeneste

If you remember, could you give a quick summary? The party leaders and leaders of Parliament?

Party leaders, ministers, defense chief, president for the Supreme Court etc.
= Representatives for the democracy and the top civil servants.
QM's sister Jane is also there.

Well Muhler you are witnessing an Historic moment in your Countries long History.

Thinking of the article shared earlier by polyesco quoting some Church of Denmark officials who were skeptical about Frederik's commitment to the church and religion, it will be interesting to see if there is a reference to God in his motto.

https://www.bt.dk/royale/kongehusets-praest-afsloerer-kong-frederik-oenskede-selv-festgudstjeneste

I think there will be because Constitutionally speaking Denmark is a Christian country.

Well Muhler you are witnessing an Historic moment in your Countries long History.

I am and taking it all in. - Without thinking too much about it, yet. There will be time for reflection later. ?

When Queen Margrethe II signed the Council of State, the throne was formally handed over to King Frederik X.

https://www.dr.dk/nyheder/indland/g...-hvor-dronning-margrethe-overdrager-tronen#!/

Yes, there was a press release earlier explaining that the abdication would take effect at the moment of Queen Margrethe II's signature.

https://www.kongehuset.dk/en/news/background-on-succession-to-the-throne

Norwegian historian Dag T. Hoelseth questioned the basis for that statement, asking if it wouldn't make more sense if it took effect when, for example, the abdication document was published. I myself am unsure how the government lawyers(?) reached that conclusion.

Muhler, I don't understand the language but seems the guards are about to fire the canons for the proclamation moment and the crowd is singing together

People as passing the time by singing the national anthem.

ADDED: Yes, that's the naval battery, preparing to fire 3X27 shots.
The buccaneers in the navy are always trying to out do everybody else, especially the army. ?

Last edited:
People as passing the time by singing the national anthem.

This would be the moment to have one of those handy portable chairs around. Everyone has been standing for so many hours it hurts to watch

There is a lot of press from France because King Frederik is half French.

Mobile coffee vans and Hot dog stands would make a fortune on this day.

I'd love to know what's going through Frederik's mind right now. He was born to eventually fill this role, to be this person, but you're never truly prepared for the moment it happens, no matter how it happens.

People are beginning to chant: King, king, come on out, or we'll never go home.

- That's what people chant at the monarchs B-days.

The ceremony was just perfect. To the point. No drama. Get on with it.

QM was moved ... but, I believe, deep down she really knows that this is the way to transfer to the throne. In a sea of smiles, not of tears.

The moment has arrived!!!

Back
Top Bottom