Prince Christian's 18th birthday, October 15, 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nice pics. Pity Queen Margrethe II. was not included, but it seems they were taken in their Amalienborg Palace so she probably wasn't there

They were taken at Frederik VIII Palace. These are family photos. QM doesn't need to be everywhere ;)
She was in the other photos from earlier that day.

The Crown Prince and Princess have created a beautiful family. They seem to have struck the perfect balance between private and public life. Anytime they are all together the love between the siblings and parents is clear.

I realize it's unlikely in this day and age, but what would happen if Christian were to marry another heir, like Amalia or Ingrid? Would someone have to step aside, or what?

Why Elisabeth's sash is a little bit long? I know, it's not a adequate thread

I wish there where photos of Christian with Daisy

Last edited by a moderator:
Love the new official gala pictures. Christian looks very dashing. Cute photo of the family going down the stairs.

Sorry if this question has already been asked before…

But why did Mary not give a speach to Christian?

I realize it's unlikely in this day and age, but what would happen if Christian were to marry another heir, like Amalia or Ingrid? Would someone have to step aside, or what?

Funny you should say that, I thought I-A was gazing at him in a certain way at the gala and I was wondering too what would happen if such a match occurred LOL!

:previous: Judging from the new gala pictures of him next to Frederik (1.83 cm), I'd guesstimate around 1.93 cm.

One small detail that caught my attention and which I wondered about is how the prince's anecdote about changing high schools was received by the audience. When I read the speech my thought was that, although one naturally wouldn't expect any royal to disclose any events which truly caused him deep anxiety in a nationally broadcast speech at his festive coming-of-age gala, the idea that a future king (and one who already has a reputation for being sociable and popular) would feel nervous about being the "new" person when transferring high schools just sounded implausible. But ultimately it is the opinion of the Danish public as a whole that matters.

You may want to ask that in the thread Royal-Royal Marriages Today. :flowers:

Tatiana Maria said:
One small detail that caught my attention and which I wondered about is how the prince's anecdote about changing high schools was received by the audience. When I read the speech my thought was that, although one naturally wouldn't expect any royal to disclose any events which truly caused him deep anxiety in a nationally broadcast speech at his festive coming-of-age gala, the idea that a future king (and one who already has a reputation for being sociable and popular) would feel nervous about being the "new" person when transferring high schools just sounded implausible. But ultimately it is the opinion of the Danish public as a whole that matters.

I didn’t think it was the least bit implausible. Imo he was showing that he was relatable, “just like” the other young people. Good looking and popular people can be just as nervous as the new kid as anyone else.

. :flowers:

I don't know who wrote that anecdote in the speech, but it may be a subtle way for Christian to make it public that having been forced to change schools caused him some pain and was something that he didn't appreciate.

The Google translation of his speech into English has Christian saying that last summer he" had to" start his 2nd year at a new school. I don't know if the original Danish modal verb ("skulle") conveys the same meaning as "had to", but, if it does, it may be a way of him saying that he was forced to change schools against his will.

Short and sweet: Yes.
A Danish monarch cannot also be a majesty in another country. There is no such thing as double citizenship and thus double loyalty when you are a DRF member.
The origin of that was most likely to prevent a take-over of DK by marriage.
The people who wrote the Law of Succession were very clever and pretty much covered every imaginable situation, including the monarch being abducted by aliens - not kidding, even such a contingency was covered. Because a king being taken prisoner in battle by a robber baron or pirates was a real thing. And as such also being abducted by Martians. ;)

You may want to ask that in the thread Royal-Royal Marriages Today. :flowers:

Yes, and I think you got it wrong.
The high schoolers in Christian's new class would not have sat open mouthed in awe that a royal would be their classmate. That's not how it works in DK. (Or in the rest of the Continent for that matter.)
They would see a fellow classmate who happens to be a royal and future king, and to them this is a guy they will interact with on a daily basis and that's more important than who he is.
Not only that, Christian entered a class where people had been together for a year - in most cases also privately. Friendships and bonds would have been formed. So they would know each other well. And even though they would probably genuinely be willing to welcome Christian, it would be Christian who would have to conform to the class not the other way around.
So yes, Christian would have been nervous!
- And let us be thankful for that! Because if he hadn't been nervous then I would be nervous about what kind of person he is.

I don't know who wrote that anecdote in the speech, but it may be a subtle way for Christian to make it public that having been forced to change schools caused him some pain and was something that he didn't appreciate.

The Google translation of his speech into English has Christian saying that last summer he" had to" start his 2nd year at a new school. I don't know if the original Danish modal verb ("skulle") conveys the same meaning as "had to", but, if it does, it may be a way of him saying that he was forced to change schools against his will.

It doesn't have the same subtle meaning.
In this is simple means he had to change school for some undetermined reason. It's a neutral word where he could have tap-danced all the way to his new school, or he could have been dragged kicking and screaming.

Otherwise the phrase would have been "var nødt til" - which means "had to" in the way you describe it. I.e. in a more negative meaning.

To make it worse the phrase could have been "var tvunget til" = was forced to and now it's almost at gunpoint.

the idea that a future king (and one who already has a reputation for being sociable and popular) would feel nervous about being the "new" person when transferring high schools just sounded implausible.

Why do you think it seems implausible? I think coming to a place where everyone else already knows each other is always a bit nerve-wracking and actually I imagine that it could be even worse if all those people 'know' you from the media and might have already formed an opinion about you before ever meeting you in person.

Christian's full table (from his right): Princess Ingrid Alexandra of Norway; esports player Mikkel "n1xen" Borlund; art student Kristiane Mikaelsen (from Greenland); violinist Andrias Blaasvær (from the Faroe Islands); ballet dancer Josephine Henriksen; minister for culture Jakob Engel-Schmidt; and Queen Margrethe II.

Frederik's full table (from his right): Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden; Assens representative Nicola Pavlov; Greenland representative Angititaq Motzfeldt; Assens representative Camilla Dahl Dittmann; actor Sigurd Philip Dalgas; Princess Josephine; and vice-chairman of Save the Children Denmark's Youth branch Maja Mette Østerhaab Andersen.

Mary's full table (from her right): chairman of Danish Gymnasium Students Association Asger Kjær Sørensen; Prince Vincent; Lemvig representative Johanne Torp Kristensen; Fanø representative Clara Mathilde Nedergaard Drikkjær; Lemvig representative Palle Odgaard; chairwoman of The Danish Guide and Scout Association Signe Marie Obel; and Crown Prince Haakon of Norway.

(Don't know what Assens and Lemvig did to deserve double representation at Frederik and Mary's tables... :lol:)

________

Found a neat little article from KNR about the Greenlandic youths at the gala. Apparently Angititaq Motzfeldt, who was seated at Frederik's table, had met Frederik years back in Narsaq. The article gets Victoria and Mary mixed up (I suspect he just referred to Victoria as "the Crown Princess" :D) but Motzfeldt says that Victoria told him she is very fond of Greenland and would like to show the country to Estelle one day.

Last edited:
Christian's full table (from his right): Princess Ingrid Alexandra of Norway; esports player Mikkel "n1xen" Borlund; art student Kristiane Mikaelsen (from Greenland); violinist Andrias Blaasvær (from the Faroe Islands); ballet dancer Josephine Henriksen; minister for culture Jakob Engel-Schmidt; and Queen Margrethe II.

Frederik's full table (from his right): Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden; Assens representative Nicola Pavlov; Greenland representative Angititaq Motzfeldt; Assens representative Camilla Dahl Dittmann; actor Sigurd Philip Dalgas; Princess Josephine; and vice-chairman of Save the Children Denmark's Youth branch Maja Mette Østerhaab Andersen.

Mary's full table (from her right): chairman of Danish Gymnasium Students Association Asger Kjær Sørensen; Prince Vincent; Lemvig representative Johanne Torp Kristensen; Fanø representative Clara Mathilde Nedergaard Drikkjær; Lemvig representative Palle Odgaard; chairwoman of The Danish Guide and Scout Association Signe Marie Obel; and Crown Prince Haakon of Norway.

(Don't know what Assens and Lemvig did to deserve double representation at Frederik and Mary's tables... :lol:)

________

Found a neat little article from KNR about the Greenlandic youths at the gala. Apparently Angititaq Motzfeldt, who was seated at Frederik's table, had met Frederik years back in Narsaq. The article gets Victoria and Mary mixed up (I suspect he just referred to Victoria as "the Crown Princess" :D) but Motzfeldt says that Victoria told him she is very fond of Greenland and would like to show the country to Estelle one day.

Thank you for this information. It seems like some accomplished youth representatives were rewarded with sharing a table with two royals their age, and someone fond of Assens and Lemvig is well-connected ;).

I found this and hope it’s ok to post - Christian’s speech with an English translation :flowers:

You’re welcome! Here’s one more - Frederik’s speech with English subtitles :flowers:

Video of the Royal Family on the balcony of Amalienborg Palace:

Thank you for this information. It seems like some accomplished youth representatives were rewarded with sharing a table with two royals their age, and someone fond of Assens and Lemvig is well-connected ;).

Can anyone tell me where Isabella and and the Australians were seated

Can anyone tell me where Isabella and and the Australians were seated

Isabella is at a table with Amalia. You can spot Mary's sister a the bottom corner of the picture. You can also spot Christian's Australian godfather at the table with Marie-Chantel.
https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/...-the-18th-news-photo/1738372276?adppopup=true
:flowers:

In the press conference today, the Queen mentioned some gifts she gave to Christian for his 18th birthday
"- I have also given him some other things that belonged to his grandfather, said Queen Margrethe, who, however, did not elaborate on which things were in question."
https://ekstrabladet.dk/underholdni...n-prins-christian-i-foedselsdagsgave/10010651

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom