The Princess of Asturias 18th Birthday: 31 Oct. 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There is not much basis for comparison, though: there is really only Juan Carlos, Felipe and Leonor for any practical sense, and JC had to do... the opposite of this. So only Felipe.

Felipe was the first heir to take the constitutional oath as that oath was introduced only in the Spanish constitution of 1978.

However, there have been heirs to the Spanish Crown since the 16th century at least (and heirs to the Crowns of Castile, Aragon, Navarre, etc. long before that).

No, she won't be wearing her uniform tomorrow, it's a civil event and she will wear a dress.

What is the difference of officiality for when she is obligated to be in uniform and for when she can wear her own clothes?

What is the difference of officiality for when she is obligated to be in uniform and for when she can wear her own clothes?

It generally depends on the type of event. In a military event she wears a uniform, but tomorrow's event is a civil event and neither the king nor she will wear a military uniform.

In the proclamation, King Felipe wore a military uniform, but in his case the Constitution also recognizes him as head of the armies.

Live links

Last edited:
Thank you for all the links and info. I am sure she will do fine!

thats one narrative the daily mail comes up with :lol:
Queen Sofia of Spain breaks down in tears at Madrid engagement amid reports she's not invited to her granddaughter Princess Leonor's swearing-in ceremony at Congress
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...ncess-Leonors-swearing-ceremony-Congress.html
I truly think it is very sad that because her husband is persona non grata, and deservedly so, Queen Emeritus Sophia must miss an amazing and historically significant milestone. Her granddaughter is a patriotic heir to the throne, a female heir, and that is significant when you consider that Sophia had a hand in her raising.
Rumours that Leonor might arrive in a convertible after a short parade. I would faint if it happens, my poor monarchist heart! :w00t::w00t:
If she was on her own, that would be a frightening trip with the international terror alert being as high as it is. It could also be perceived as being overly eletist.

I guess I just believe each European country has their own centuries of unique culture and traditions. To me, I would be quite surprised to see all European monarchies having the same traditions and expectations in 50 years. It would make me quite sad, actually. Each royal family should reflect the culture it represents. For example, I wouldn’t expect Ingrid -Alexandra to undergo the type of military training that Leonor is, and I don’t think there is pressure by I-A’s country men and women to do so.

Royal watching is so interesting because it exposes so much about the different cultures and histories of each monarchy and country. If they all did the same, it would lose a lot of its draw for me.

I also do not believe that Leonor isn’t fully on board with her current educational path, though it is a copy of what her father did. As evident to those of us that served with people that joined out of family tradition, you can’t force someone to take it seriously, or force them to prepare physically and mentally. Even if her father highly recommended she join the military, she obviously chose to give it 100%. I think some people in the world may short change Leonor as a wall flower being led, when the evidence points to a determined young woman who is already taking charge of her own destiny.
I gave to agree. Half the reason royal watching is fun is because they all do things differently than other monarchies and basically the same in their own. I know the Spanish tradition only dates back to Felipe but does anyone know if what they do now is in any way similar than to what the previous Spanish royal heirs used to do?

I fail to see why Leonor couldn't have a birthday gala. She could've had a nice relatively modest banquet gala inviting leaders and 18 year olds (similar to Prince Christian's gala) from the various provinces and autonomic regions. Like her parent's pre-wedding gala it could have been tiara-less and have foreign royal heirs and teens invited.

I fail to see why Leonor couldn't have a birthday gala. She could've had a nice relatively modest banquet gala inviting leaders and 18 year olds (similar to Prince Christian's gala) from the various provinces and autonomic regions. Like her parent's pre-wedding gala it could have been tiara-less and have foreign royal heirs and teens invited.

I would have loved to see that as well and would have been great for the SRF. However, I believe the Spanish monarchy has a very tight budget and I imagine this event is already tipping the scales.

It generally depends on the type of event. In a military event she wears a uniform, but tomorrow's event is a civil event and neither the king nor she will wear a military uniform.

In the proclamation, King Felipe wore a military uniform, but in his case the Constitution also recognizes him as head of the armies.

Thanks for the update lula, what will the dress code be? Will Felipe wear a simple suit or morning dress?

Last edited:

The are twenty something young people representing each region of Spain invited to the ceremony at Congress.

I know the Spanish tradition only dates back to Felipe but does anyone know if what they do now is in any way similar than to what the previous Spanish royal heirs used to do?

Of course, every (monarchist) Constitution since 1812 has had an Oath to the Constitution and King in it.
And before that since medieval times the Prince/ss of Asturias has been proclaimed by Parliament or taken an Oath in a Church.

I am very sorry to see Queen Sofia be estranged from this highly historical but also family emotional event. After all what she did for Spain but also for the Crown and Felipe it is a shame, family shame and National shame.
And we should not associate her presence with JC. Everyone knows the live apart, and he lives in another country. So why inviting Queen Sofia would automatically mean inviting JC?
They could just say he is invited but couldn't attend.
Somehow i feel also sorry for JC. He spent decades serving his country, he helped Spain to return back to normality. And unfortunately, because of the stupide actions he did the last years he blowed up everything, and now he is persona non grata. Very sad.

I really hope we that Casa Real release some new photos to mark this milstone, the lag way behind most other Royal Houses with social media and updating photos.

Who is the woman in blue who spoke a lot. A Minister?

Act of the oath of the Spanish Constitution by the Princess of Asturias before the Courts General

https://www.casareal.es/ES/Actividades/Paginas/actividades_actividades_detalle.aspx?data=15934

Act of imposition of the Collar of the Royal and Distinguished Spanish Order of Carlos III on the Princess of Asturias and subsequent lunch

https://www.casareal.es/ES/Actividades/Paginas/actividades_actividades_detalle.aspx?data=15935

Photo of Leonor greeting people next to the Royal Palace.

King Felipe VI and Queen Letizia arrive at the Zarzuela Palace, Queen Letizia wears a cape coat over the Carolina Herrera dress that we saw this morning.
https://c10.quickcachr.fotos.sapo.pt/i/Gc018ba01/22561129_ChHNr.jpeg

Last edited:
The Princess of Asturias Instagram video made me tear up.

Congratulations on her 18th birthday and her Oath to the Constitution and the King, from us Spaniards living abroad in distant lands.

Thank you to all who have provided links and photos. Leonor looks very polished today and still retains a bit of shyness at these events where the attention is focused upon her.

It feels like the grandest 18th birthday ceremony of the young heirs. And that without a ball, which is not a tradition in Spain and which would be a frivolity that does not make sense considering the professional and serious image that the King and Queen have succesfully tried to project since their accession (and before).

The princess seems calm and steady, which at her age is quite an accomplishment. Her parents trained her well, they can be very proud of their daughter.

I am sure the proud grandmother was able to see the proceedings from the comfort of her own living room. I imagine the maternal grandparents were not invited either?

Last edited:
Amazing pagentry and pomp from the armed forces! Leonor looked wonderful and very dignified! Spain and her family out to be very proud.

It feels like the grandest 18th birthday ceremony of the young heirs. And that without a ball, which is not a tradition in Spain and which would be a frivolity that does not make sense considering the professional and serious image that the King and Queen have succesfully tried to project since their accession (and before).

The princess seems calm and steady, which at her age is quite an accomplishment. Her parents trained her well, they can be very proud of their daughter.

I am sure the proud grandmother was able to see the proceedings from the comfort of her own living room. I imagine the maternal grandparents were not invited either?
Isn’t the maternal grandparents republicans

They have created a new organization of the gala dining room with small tables. In addition to the high authorities, they wanted to invite many workers from the King's House who normally do not attend these events.

After greeting the guests, the family greeted journalists and photographers.

The lunch

Last edited:
I imagine the maternal grandparents were not invited either?

According to more than one witness, they were. Letizia greeted someone sat high up in the hemicycle and pointed it out to Leonor, who ignore her.

But the emeritus monarchs and Infanta Elena are excluded. Crying shame.

Isn’t the maternal grandparents republicans

Dearest aunt Henar, the recalcitrant republican. Letizia herself couldn't be accused of being a monarchist until she married Felipe. Now her daughter is the heir apparent. Isn't life wonderful? :lol:

Leonor is wonderfully flanked by Miquel Roca and Miguel Herrero de Miñón, the only fathers of the Constitution that are still alive.

Last edited by a moderator:
According to more than one witness, they were. Letizia greeted someone sat high up in the hemicycle and pointed it out to Leonor, who ignore her.

But the emeritus monarchs and Infanta Elena are excluded. Crying shame.

There were no members of Queen Letizia's family in parliament.

There has only been one family member and member of royalty invited to the lunch: Pedro de Borbón Dos Sicilias, Duke of Calabria, as president of the Royal Council of the Military Orders.

Princess Leonor Receives The Collar Of The Order Of Carlos III
https://www.gettyimages.es/fotos/le...rial&phrase=Leonor&sort=best&events=776055085

Reception and lunch

http://images.gtresnews.com/es/feat...-en-el-palacio-real/page/1/SN/ACTUALITY_TODOS

http://images.gtresnews.com/es/feat...borbon-con-su-madre/page/1/SN/ACTUALITY_TODOS

http://images.gtresnews.com/es/feat...olvidable-para-ella/page/1/SN/ACTUALITY_TODOS

Princess Leonor speech
https://www.casareal.es/ES/Actividades/Paginas/actividades_discursos_detalle.aspx?data=6569

King Felipe´s speech
https://www.casareal.es/ES/Actividades/Paginas/actividades_discursos_detalle.aspx?data=6570

Bells ring in the Royal Sites, the Cathedral of Oviedo and the Basilica of Covadonga for the oath

Last edited:
This is quite the event. The military parade down the street amongst the crowd was a wonderful sight to see. King Felipe VI has done such an amazing job as King and Father and it really shows in his heir. Republican or Monarchist, I feel Spaniards can be proud in Felipe and Leonor as people. Leonor seems to be the perfect balance of her parents, she looks so much like her mother but has her fathers energy and demeanor. What a wonderful day.

ETA : Mother/Daughter Lovely moment caught between the Queen and Princess of Asturias.

Last edited:
It was a wonderful event. Leonor made me proud! She’s only 18 but she’s a tough cookie.

Back
Top Bottom