Prince Christian's 18th birthday, October 15, 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
An heirs photo! My evening is made (though I have to say I'm missing little Charles) :D The Velvet Room makes a wonderful backdrop for official photos. It especially complements Amalia's look this evening – wow, she looks beautiful in that picture!

In terms of composition, I think it would've looked better had Elisabeth and Ingrid swapped places but that's just me being pedantic. Would also have loved it if the photographer could've gotten a smile out of Christian but I suspect nerves were playing a part in the lack of that.

It's a wonderful photo. It's a shame that Princess Leonor didn't attend Christian's birthday. :whistling:

Christian looks a bit tense in the photo. Maybe this gala dinner thing is not exactly how he would have wanted to celebrate his 18th birthday if he had a choice.

I am pretty sure he will have some kind of private party afterwards though.

I loved the Royal´s outfits, but was really horrified by what some of the commonor guests are wearing! It was really an example of the downfall of etiquette and taste! And I do not get the dress code here... Isn´t this a white tie event? I thought, everyone not able to wear uniform or national costume is "obliged" to wear white tie...? Actually non of those commoner male guests had been wearing this. I only spotted tuxedos and daytime suits... White socks in black shoes...! White sneakers...! Some girls and women looked as if they were invited to a Halloween Party instead of having an invitation to one of the world´s most prestigious courts - but others looked absolutely fine -I´m not saying "beautiful" or "stunning" (well, a handful were, because taste differs), but they were appropriately dressed for the occasions. But, at least half of the invitees looked just shameful.

Last edited:
I loved the Royal´s outfits, but was really horrified by what some of the commonor guests are wearing! It was really an example of the downfall of etiquette and taste! And I do not get the dress code here... Isn´t this a white tie event? I thought, everyone not able to wear uniform or national costume is "obliged" to wear white tie...? Actually non of those commoner male guests had been wearing this. I only spotted tuxedos and daytime suits... White socks in black shoes...! White sneakers...! Some girls and women looked as if they were invited to a Halloween Party instead of having an invitation to one of the world´s most prestigious courts - but looked absolutely fine -I´m not saying "beautiful" or "stunning" (well, a handful were), because taste differs, but they were appropriately dressed for the occesions. But, at least half of the invitees looked just shameful.

A few months ago, I implied here that I was skeptical about the teenage guests showing up in tails and iI guess I was right. Black tie tuxedos or suits are much closer to their reality and something they might have worn for a formal at school. I am not sure one can even rent tails these days.

Edit: I agree though that the sneakers were a bit too much. It looks like even Christian noticed them during the handshakes

Last edited:
Are there pictures of the non-royal guests?

A few months ago, I implied here that I was skeptical about the teenage guests showing up in tails and iI guess I was right. Black tie tuxedos or suits are much closer to their reality and something they might have worn for a formal at school. I am not sure one can even rent tails these days.

Edit: I agree though that the sneakers were a bit too much. It looks like even Christian noticed them during the handshakes

Those young people are also not accustomed to sit at a gala dinner for over 4 hours. It's been a long day for them, they arrived hours before the handshakes with the royal family.

Are there pictures of the non-royal guests?

Here
Se ALLE billederne! Gallaklædte gæster ankommer til prins Christians fødselsdags-gallataffel _ BILLED-BLADET

Last edited:

If we are honest, expecting those teenagers to rent/buy a white tie suit for this event, would've a significant chance for a public backlash which would've at least tainted the event.

I am usually rather quiet, but feel the need to write something now: Yes, there are protocols. And yes, protocols can have their purpose. But this is the 21st century and a monarchy has to adapt (of course while maintaining its dignity) to what is appropriate in the eye of its subjects. There is glamour and there is too much of it.

I (for myself) don't mind protocols to be loosened at appropriate bits. May it be a more relaxed dress code or the royal guest sitting with the "regular" guests.

We should be realistic about what we expect in the future, the new generation will be (once more my opinion) even less sticking to protocol.

I saw some boys with black tie and one with white . I doubt you can rent anything but black tie. I think taking the gum out of their mouths is more important
. Than sneakers
However a well done occasion imo.
Only other complaint was appalling lack of grace in which p carina carried herself and walked

Last edited:
I saw some boys with black tie and one with white . I doubt you can rent anything but black tie. I think taking the gum out of their mouths is more important
You can rent anything. I've rented both black and white tie on numerous occasions.
Several municipalities stepped in to finance, or help finance, the clothes of those chosen to attend the banquet.
I agree about the gum.
Only other complaint was appalling lack of grace in which p carina carried herself and walked
A graceful walk or not, etiquette wise the most ungracious thing you can do is point out the flaws of others.

Last edited:
Nearly all of the girls attending dressed according to the protocol but I was disappointed in seeing so many of the boys not stepping up to the occasion. If a number of girls had shown up in short dresses I am sure there would be much more chatter about it. At the very least aim for a black-tie tuxedo. That being said, these are all very young adults attending their first, and perhaps only, major gala. I give them plenty of lee-way.

. Than sneakers
However a well done occasion imo.

Nearly all of the girls attending dressed according to the protocol but I was disappointed in seeing so many of the boys not stepping up to the occasion. If a number of girls had shown up in short dresses I am sure there would be much more chatter about it. At the very least aim for a black-tie tuxedo. That being said, these are all very young adults attending their first, and perhaps only, major gala. I give them plenty of lee-way.

As one of the tv-commentators, who was in general impressed with the outfits of the young guests, said "when we have members of parliament who attend royal banquets dressed like slobs we can't ask to much of these kids" (or something in that vein)

Last edited:
Now I've thought about it, there were some odd absentees / not invited:

-any of Pavlos or MCs children
-any of Benedikte's grandchildren
-any of Anne-Marie's other grandchildren
-did any of Christian's friends from school etc attend?

I'm certain Christian had friends there, but how would we know who they were? They're all private citizens and some of them may not be 18 yet, which means their social media accounts would be off-limits to the press.

-any of Pavlos or MCs children
-any of Benedikte's grandchildren
-any of Anne-Marie's other grandchildren

It is rumoured that there is a large, but private, after party for close friends and family after the gala so that is were I expect these people to be.

It is rumoured that there is a large, but private, after party for close friends and family after the gala so that is were I expect these people to be.

I am pretty sure Christian will have a private party with his friends after he is done with the official business. He understands his role and did his job, but it is apparent that he was not exactly comfortable or probably even enjoying it.

But, going back to Tommy's point, that doesn't explain why none of Pavlos and Marie Chantal's kids were at the gala. Is it possible that were not invited at all?

I am pretty sure Christian will have a private party with his friends after he is done with the official business. He understands his role and did his job, but it is apparent that he was not exactly comfortable or probably even enjoying it.

But, going back to Tommy's point, that doesn't explain why none of Pavlos and Marie Chantal's kids were at the gala. Is it possible that were not invited at all?

I did not get that impression at all from Christian. I saw someone who was nervous, wanting to do well, but overall a natural and enjoying himself.

The guest list was limited due to the desire to invite 200 of his peers. That would be my explanation for why they weren't at the official gala.

I thought the teens from around Denmark looked good! True, they weren't all dressed per protocol, but they all made an effort. And, what fun for them to be able to say that they sat at a table with a prince or princess or queen -- they'll have a story to tell for their entire lives.

Of the young royals, I was particularly impressed with Catherina-Amalia. She carries herself like a queen already.

Why would Pavlos' kids be invited when none of Benedikte's grandchildren (or her other children) were? For that matter, we had pictures of Alexia yesterday, and she wasn't invited, either.

I assumed that Pavlos and Gustav were invited to represent all of their mothers' children and grandchildren.

Last edited by a moderator:
On a frivilous comment, it is interesting that Elisabeth was seated with Felix. If I didn't know better, I could even imagine that Grandma was playing matchmaking.

Why would Pavlos' kids be invited when none of Benedikte's grandchildren (or her other children) were? For that matter, we had pictures of Alexia yesterday, and she wasn't invited, either.

I assumed that Pavlos and Gustav were invited to represent all of their mothers' children and grandchildren.

They were invited to Queen Margrethe II's 75th birthday gala, and they are Christian's second cousins, so I would have expected them to have been invited. But, as someone else said, there was probably limited space because of the teen guests from the Danish municipalities.

I don't think they would have declined if they had been invited. Others, like the Princess of Asturias, may have been invited and indeed turned down the invitation.

Last edited:

Exactly. For both Anne Marie and Benedikte their eldest sons and their wives represented their families. Pavlos of course had to be there as he is Christian's godfather; and is Christian himself mentioned not long ago he became the godfather to Gustav's son.

Some family members were clearly nearby (Alexia was also seen at the palace during the balcony scene; while Richard and Ingrid were spotted at Amalienborg yesterday). So, they probably had a private dinner and might have been/are present at the non-public celebrations.

That's a nice sized crowd outside the Amalienborg Palace!

Neither were any of the Monpezats present, nor uncles or cousins on that side.

Wonder what kind of gifts Christian got from his family members.

Last edited:
Josephine is wearing a jumpsuit :eek: I don't expect that.
Josephine in a pantsuit! And Isabella wearing a little hair piece I'm pretty sure I've seen Mary in before.
I expected a comment or two about Josephine's pantsuit and I can only say, she rocked it! Her posture was wonderful and she wore her pantsuit with confidence and an air of casual elegance rare in one so young. Unlike Isabella, I believe that it is Josephine who is already showing her own distinct sense of style. Isabella looked okay, but the material around the neck ruined the line of her ensemble.

Mary in her wedding tiara, meh.
Disappointing
Mary was right on target. She wore a sentimental favorite in no way overshadowed her son and his royal and non-guests and keeping in the relative background with an eye on the youngsters. Daisy looked magnificent as the Crowned Monarch of Denmark and host of the event.

Crown Princess Victoria has fixed her stars at her left side

Thank you!

Chewing gum is a horrible thing in general, in my taste, but fortunatly I cannot see chewing when looking at the pictures.
I enjoyed looking at them. They all made a great effort.
As far as those sneakers are concerned, no worn down tennisshoes. One of them were brand new fancy Nikes, brighty white with a nice contrasting black Nike-sign to compliment his black suit and crisp white shirt. Some serious sartorial thought was put into that.
Certainly, the girl with the cut-out-dress wore something that no Royal would get away with. But it was tastefully cut and the dress fit her perfectly.
Lovely to see the traditional dresses and suits.

Back
Top Bottom