Denmark : Abdication & Accession Day - January 14, 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
He's back for an encore with the prime minister. He's extremely emotional.

Are we watching the same footage? I didn't see any awkwardness. I saw a lot of emotion, a lot of nerves, and a lot of happiness...but not awkwardness.

Impressions are subjective. It is pointless to argue.

The King's Flag is now flying over FX&QMs residence at Amalienborg.

The motto, as I heard it, is "Forbundne, forpligtet, for Kongeriget Danmark"

Thanks! How would you translate it? Has it been used by any other kings? I would be interested to hear Danish reactions to the new King's choice of motto.

What song did the crowd sing at the end of the first balcony appearance?

I wonder if the choice to include Isabella, Vincent and Josephine but not Margrethe, Benedikte and Joachim on the balcony says something about how King Frederik X envisions the distribution of royal duties under his headship.

I liked that the King started and ended alone on the balcony without the Queen; some royal watchers seem to consider queens consort "equal partners" to their husbands due to their equal rank as Majesties, but the King is the only head of state and there is no constitutional difference between Henrik and Mary.

Well, that was absolutely wonderful. The people able to get so near, cheerful, happy, rejoicing. Queen Margrethe dignified, poised and seemingly happy. Everything went off so well.
The new King and Queen looking at each other and enjoying a little joke at times. King Frederik a bit teary, emotional. Was Josephine upset, a bit teary as well? All the family together on the balcony and welcoming crowds. Superb. I’m overcome myself!

Does anyone have an English translation of his speech?

Absolutely amazing crowd and reception for F & M and the children

Loved the balcony scene, delighted they shared a kiss. For many reasons, mainly I was a little afraid they might have to act differently with their new titles. I don’t expect them to be all over one another at every event but on a historic day like today it is a beautiful memory.

Perhaps she wants the attention to be on the new King his family:flowers:

Definitely, it is best to
Let Frederik and Mary have their moment without worrying you are offending anyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
No applause for Joachim......hmm,not unexpected,no

Thanks! How would you translate it? Has it been used by any other kings? I would be interested to hear Danish reactions to the new King's choice of motto.

What song did the crowd sing at the end of the first balcony appearance?

I wonder if the choice to include Isabella, Vincent and Josephine but not Margrethe, Benedikte and Joachim on the balcony says something about how King Frederik X envisions the distribution of royal duties under his headship.

I liked that the King started and ended alone on the balcony without the Queen; some royal watchers seem to consider queens consort "equal partners" to their husbands due to their equal rank as Majesties, but the King is the only head of state and there is no constitutional difference between Henrik and Mary.

Connected (as in by bonds), obligated, for the kingdom of Denmark.

People are leaving now, I can only imagine it will take most hours to get home.

The official royal website is not available https://www.kongehuset.dk/en

the translation says:

It is currently not possible to access kongehuset.dk while relevant changes are made as a result of the change of throne. In the meantime, please refer to the Royal Family's official pages on Facebook and Instagram.

The official website of the Royal House of Denmark is temporarily unavailable while appropriate changes are made following the succession of the throne. In the meantime, please visit the Royal House of Denmark's official pages on Facebook and Instagram.

It wasn't a coronation, but that balcony appearance did something for me that the entire UK coronation never could. Simply loved it.

It's very clear that King Frederik feels so much support from his people today, many of whom have either watched him grow up or grew up as he himself grew up. Now, finally seeing him take up what has been his destiny.

It is a pity that she is not on the Balcony too like in NL for example

Well I guess that abdication was always in Beatrix's thoughts so she might have lived the moment in a much more "natural" way.
Margrethe, on the other hand, not so sure

Well, that was absolutely wonderful. The people able to get so near, cheerful, happy, rejoicing. Queen Margrethe dignified, poised and seemingly happy. Everything went off so well.
The new King and Queen looking at each other and enjoying a little joke at times. King Frederik a bit teary, emotional. Was Josephine upset, a bit teary as well? All the family together on the balcony and welcoming crowds. Superb. I’m overcome myself!

Mary definitely was making sure Josephine was comfortable, at 13 it has to be overwhelming. I love that Mary is very motherly towards her children, regardless of rank she is Mum first.

HM Queen Margrethe's last words in council: "God save the King!"

HM King Frederik's first act as king: Bowing to Queen Margrethe.

HRH Crown Prince Christian first act as crown prince: Fetching Queen Margrethe's walking stick.

It wasn't a coronation, but that balcony appearance did something for me that the entire UK coronation never could. Simply loved it.

It's very clear that King Frederik feels so much support from his people today, many of whom have either watched him grow up or grew up as he himself grew up. Now, finally seeing him take up what has been his destiny.

There will be more of that.

In a few minutes they will drive back to Amalienborg in a carriage and the streets are still packed!

Who is in the cars being filmed right now?

Last edited:
Well I guess that abdication was always in Beatrix's thoughts so she might have lived the moment in a much more "natural" way.
The Main difference is that in NL the new monarch us presented by the abdicated monarch.
But also Kings Juan Carlos and Albert II. joined their successors on the Balconies

That’s my view too. With Beatrix I was delighted for her, it seemed the right move after the loss of her husband and son. With Margrethe there feels like there is more to it, we may never know the full story but she did what she felt was necessary.

Did he say "Wow" on the balcony when the PM joined? Frederik was understandably emotional today. Will that be a theme of his reign?

For me, if just for today, he is known as "Frederik the Emotive".

I was also reminded of when Felipe became king in Spain - very moving balcony experience.

Frederik looked like he was holding on to Mary’s hand for dear life. He is a charming emotional man. She looked absolutely beautiful. They also appeared a bit overwhelmed. What an incredible outpouring of support and love from the Danes!

Muhler, those signs that said 'justice for pingo' I don't understand them. I read that's a nickname because of something about his scuba wetsuit getting filled with water (in Australia?) and he had to walk like a penguin. But I don't understand why these silly signs are here now.

Congratulations Denmark on your lovely new King and Queen!! Such beautiful and powerful moments witnessed on the balcony today.

Will there be another balcony appearance at Amalienborg? Or is that it for balcony appearances?

Is everybody's favorite PET officer running along this time as well?

Will there be another balcony appearance at Amalienborg? Or is that it for balcony appearances?

Congratulations on your first post. :flowers:

I hope and believe so, probably in 1½ hour from now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom