The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-29-2014, 04:47 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbk View Post
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/...00_634x408.jpg I have a question about Prince Michael's car. Is it his private care or a Royal Household one? What about it's registration plate? IMO it's unusual, but maybe it's not - I'm not from the UK . Is it some kind of a special plate reserved for Royals or cars used by the Royal Household? For example, in Denmark there are special plates for royals, even for their private cars. Even former members of the Royal House, like Hereditary Prince Knud's sons are/were "entitled to" them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
I think this may be Prince Michael's own car because the numberplate is an old, dateless one and I believe he collects number plates. Dateless number plates started off in 1904 and by the 1960s they had run out of numbers and the new system of numbering came into effect. According to my research, the lower the number on the plate, the more expensive it is.
I agree, it is probably Michael's private car. The number plate is an ol registration that any one can buy - there is a secondary market in them, and many websites advertise them.

Members of the BRF do not have any special numbers plates other than HM, who does not have a registration number her state Bentleys. Her other cars, including the Bentley Mulsanne and RRovers she uses, are registered as normal cars would be.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:20 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Looks like a personalised number plate to me.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:04 AM
Aristocracy

If it is a retro plate what is the Euro strip doing there? What about the symbols on both sides of the numbers? Maybe it is some royal sign, a monogram? I can't see it well.
Danske nummerplader - Kongehusets nummerplader Here is the list of the plates of the Danish Royal House, including those used by such remote royals like the brothers of Princess Elisabeth.
The plates look like that one - http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...censeplate.JPG
I;ve recently seen a photo of Count Ingolf's car with such royal plate, it was at the funeral of his brother's. I can't find it now
Old 04-30-2014, 08:29 AM
Super Moderator

[QUOTE=kbk;1661715]If it is a retro plate what is the Euro strip doing there? What about the symbols on both sides of the numbers? Maybe it is some royal sign, a monogram? I can't see it well.....quote /]

THE number plate itself is obviously a new one and complies with the standard British design for a rear numberplate, which includes the EU symbol badge with the letters GB (Great Britain) below it.

So, it is the number that is old rather than the number plate and the number itself has been used on a previous car, a Rolls-Royce Phantom VI. Prince Michael presumably decided not to use the Rolls any more and had the number registered instead to the newer car.

In the UK, if you buy a car with a standard registration number and later decide to buy a personalised one (say, KBK 123) then you would have to register the new number with the car at the DVLA (Driver Vehicle Licensing Agency).

Going back to Prince Michael's car, the symbols on the left of the black lettering could be the car-maker's logo and the symbol on the right looks like the English flag of St George. Neither of these two symbols are standard on rear-number plates.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:33 AM
Aristocracy

He probably owns the registration personally and can then put it on any kind of plate he wants (within reason). He can have one made with the EU flags (), or one without. As long as it adheres to certain guidelines, it's up to the owner of the number what sort of plate he wants - it can be in different fonts, different size of lettering, manufacturers logos can even be put on them.

He seems to have some sort of heraldic symbol on it, from what I can see.
Old 06-04-2014, 12:25 AM
Majesty

The Queen's new palace on wheels: Wood from Newton's apple tree. A bullet from Waterloo. Metal from a Dambuster. Unveiled today, carriage that's a mobile museum of our history-
The Queen's new carriage that's a mobile museum of our history | Mail Online

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 06-04-2014, 11:02 AM
Majesty

Video:
The Queen will travel to the state opening of Parliament in a living time capsule, a new state coach celebrating hundreds of years of the nation's history. Fragments of Henry VIII's warship the Mary Rose, Sir Issac Newton's apple tree and the stone of destiny are just some of the priceless artefacts incorporated into the bodywork of the carriage being used by the monarch for the first time, As creator Jim Frecklington explains….
Home - ITNSource News

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 06-04-2014, 11:14 AM
Aristocracy

It's a truly stunning work of art. It also incorporates many diamonds, sapphires etc.

It seems likely to be much more comfortable for the occupants than the older carriages. It also appears to have been designed in such a way as to be much easier to both see the Queen inside it and also for the Queen to see the other way.

I think it'll be a very long time before we see another coach added to the Queen's collection, if ever.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:22 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
What delights me that most I think about the carriage is that it has become a part of living history and will continue to be used for many, many years to come. So fitting for family that embodies the history and traditions of a realm.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:01 PM
Majesty

The monarch has leased the Agusta A190S because it is thought to be safer to use one aircraft rather than several on short-term leases-
Queen treats Prince William and Kate Middleton to £8m helicopter - Mirror Online

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 06-20-2014, 07:11 PM
Heir Apparent

this headline has just caused huge outrage on twitter because it is so misleading.

This is the lead up to the report next week on Royal Finances. Tin hats and flak jackets at the ready!

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 06-20-2014, 07:16 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
this headline has just caused huge outrage on twitter because it is so misleading.

This is the lead up to the report next week on Royal Finances. Tin hats and flak jackets at the ready!

I don't think it's just the headline that's misleading. 😳😳
Old 06-20-2014, 07:27 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post

It's already started take a look at the Daily Mail.