Forum Update - We're back! Ask your questions here.

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Janet H

Administrator
Site Team
Country
United States
In the past day we've been working to update the forum to a new software platform and we've been offline. Welcome back! The new forum software is called Xenforo and there are some new features and functions.

LOGIN CHANGE:
Your account can be accessed by logging in with your e-mail address or username (that displays on posts) plus the password for your account. If you are having trouble with this and can't get through the password reset process you can click the contact link at the bottom of the page to reach out for help.

If you've set up a new account because you couldn't access your old one let us know. we can consolidate these and get you logged back into your old account.

There are many new features and I encourage you to wander around, test things out and then visit your profile and do some updating. Please keep in mind that changes and adjustments are still being made and so views will become more refined over the next few days.

Update your profile:
  • Consider uploading a new avatar (little pic next to your posts). The new site accommodates larger images and old avatars are looking a little tired. Avatars will automatically resize - choose a good one!
  • Update your signature
Mobile viewing
The site runs well on small screens. Try it out on the road, and use your regular login - no app required. Set a bookmark for the site on mobile for fast access and look for push notifications (coming soon) to stay up to date.

Thread marking:
The forum remembers what you have already read and will display new unread threads as bolded or when you click into an ongoing thread, take you to unread content BUT:
You may need to Mark a forum "read" for this to work correctly moving forward. The conversion could not "remember" what you have already seen and so initially all threads may appear as unread.
To do this open a forum and look for the link at the top of the list of threads to "Mark Read"

There are many things still being tweaked and fiddled with and you will continue to see some changes but we wanted to get back online as soon as possible - thanks in advance for your patience.

Post up if you have questions - we're all learning

Last edited:
Congratulations ?? I also love the new look. It’s a lot more visually pleasing.

I have a question: I noticed the threads of the royal houses are organized in alphabetical order except the British which should be after Belgium. Is that done on purpose because the forum was created with them in mind originally? I’m just curious. Thanks!

Congratulations ?? I also love the new look. It’s a lot more visually pleasing.

I have a question: I noticed the threads of the royal houses are organized in alphabetical order except the British which should be after Belgium. Is that done on purpose because the forum was created with them in mind originally? I’m just curious. Thanks!
I don't know the answer but it's an interesting question. The current forum display order mirrors the display order on the older platform, however ;)

Thank you for all the work of bringing this forum into the modern world! Especially since vBulletin (as much as I liked it) wasn't the securest anymore...

I do have a question/request - is there a way to remove/disable the mini profile and latest posts fields on the right, please? I, sadly, only have use of my right eye and having all the text so far to the left makes reading a little difficult for me, especially on the desktop.

best wishes Michiru

Congratulations! ? Thank you for all the work. Wow

Thank you for all the work of bringing this forum into the modern world! Especially since vBulletin (as much as I liked it) wasn't the securest anymore...

I do have a question/request - is there a way to remove/disable the mini profile and latest posts fields on the right, please? I, sadly, only have use of my right eye and having all the text so far to the left makes reading a little difficult for me, especially on the desktop.

best wishes Michiru
There is currently no option to change the page display, however, on a narrower screen or mobile device the column is hidden. I can research some solutions but currently have no other recommendations.

There is currently no option to change the page display, however, on a narrower screen or mobile device the column is hidden. I can research some solutions but currently have no other recommendations.
Ah, I just noticed zooming in to 150% with Firefox toggles the responsive design, as well as narrow screens do. That works perfectly! No further solution needed on my side. Thanks!

best wishes Michiru

I'm glad this will work for you and appreciate the awesome tip! :)

OMG!!!! This is so stunning and beautiful! I love the upgrade!

As Janet says, this has been the case since before any of the site team joined. When I just joined the team I have asked it to the admins of the time, Elspeth, Mandy, Warren etc. I think you may be the first person who has asked this question since then! I believe the order was implemented even before they joined and possibly even when the site was still LesTribunesRoyales in 2002, but I do not remember it fully.

It was explained to me that it was indeed alphabetical but with some exceptions, mostly for practical reasons. To put the British on top was considered a good deviation of the alphabetical order as they expected it would grow to be the largest forum by far. This is indeed what happened. The UK should alphabetically be near the end even. Same goes for the Netherlands which is now at the D for Dutch instead of the N of Netherlands. At the time of my question the admins decided not to change it as people were used to it. 20 years later I imagine that still counts. And it is indeed handy to have the UK on top as it eclipses most of the rest.

Last edited:
Marengo, I recall the old forum and like many others at that time we came from the Netty's royal news and forum web page into this forum.
By the way, I am so amazed by this latest incarnation of Royal Forums and the look upgrade I decided to change the old avatar I had since around 2005-2007, when I left due to lack of time to post, to a new little crown I made with AI' Midjourney. If the RF upgraded, I had to catch up with the times, too.
I like we seem to have more vibrant, intense colors that seem to pop better in our HD monitors, something we didn't have back in 2007.

Thank you both for your responses. That’s really interesting. In that case, I’m surprised Monaco is not after the British.

Ah, I just noticed zooming in to 150% with Firefox toggles the responsive design, as well as narrow screens do. That works perfectly! No further solution needed on my side. Thanks!

best wishes Michiru
I love the magnified font size with the upgrade. At my age, 63, and my eyesight I'm surprised to finally read the messages effortlessly without my computer glasses. At my end I'm using the Edge browser and a large, curved monitor, so now I feel like I'm in an Imax theater right here.

I also noticed the avatars are 'hiding' in the three dots next to the insert an image link. Which brings up the question if we are able to insert an image now? I believe this was not allowed mainly because of copyright issues and that uploading images make the place a storage area and we already have so much going on in here.
Any new rules for links, images, etc. or shall we continue with tradition of avoiding uploading images?

I love the magnified font size with the upgrade. At my age, 63, and my eyesight I'm surprised to finally read the messages effortlessly without my computer glasses. At my end I'm using the Edge browser and a large, curved monitor, so now I feel like I'm in an Imax theater right here.

I also noticed the avatars are 'hiding' in the three dots next to the insert an image link. Which brings up the question if we are able to insert an image now? I believe this was not allowed mainly because of copyright issues and that uploading images make the place a storage area and we already have so much going on in here.
Any new rules for links, images, etc. or shall we continue with tradition of avoiding uploading images?
Copyright issues haven't changed. Please check this helpful overview of Copyright FAQs

In the past day we've been working to update the forum to a new software platform and we've been offline. Welcome back! The new forum software is called Xenforo and there are some new features and functions.

LOGIN CHANGE:
Your account can be accessed by logging in with your e-mail address or username (that displays on posts) plus the password for your account. If you are having trouble with this and can't get through the password reset process you can click the contact link at the bottom of the page to reach out for help.

If you've set up a new account because you couldn't access your old one let us know. we can consolidate these and get you logged back into your old account.

There are many new features and I encourage you to wander around, test things out and then visit your profile and do some updating. Please keep in mind that changes and adjustments are still being made and so views will become more refined over the next few days.

Update your profile:
  • Consider uploading a new avatar (little pic next to your posts). The new site accommodates larger images and old avatars are looking a little tired. Avatars will automatically resize - choose a good one!
  • Update your signature
Mobile viewing
The site runs well on small screens. Try it out on the road, and use your regular login - no app required. Set a bookmark for the site on mobile for fast access and look for push notifications (coming soon) to stay up to date.

Thread marking:
The forum remembers what you have already read and will display new unread threads as bolded or when you click into an ongoing thread, take you to unread content BUT:
You may need to Mark a forum "read" for this to work correctly moving forward. The conversion could not "remember" what you have already seen and so initially all threads may appear as unread.
To do this open a forum and look for the link at the top of the list of threads to "Mark Read"

There are many things still being tweaked and fiddled with and you will continue to see some changes but we wanted to get back online as soon as possible - thanks in advance for your patience.

Thanks so much for all your hard work. It is very appealing visually and we’ll all figure it out!

This looks great. Thank you everyone who made it happen.

In the Smiles the flags of the monarchies and the former monarchies are not labeled with the name of the countries. Could each flag be labeled?

I love the new look of the site! Well done Royal Forums.

Copyright issues haven't changed. Please check this helpful overview of Copyright FAQs
Thanks, but the FAQs link is giving me this message below:

Hmmm… can't reach this page

post%20in%20thread%20'forum%20101%20-%20posting%20basics,%20account%20help,%202024'%20https’s server IP address could not be found.

FYI update 10 mins after the above message:
I found the News and Articles section and it has a FAQs link, I clicked on it and also gave me a dead-end link message below. I assume during the Forum update the FAQ page address tag got un-linked from the Forum's pages.

Oops! We ran into some problems.

The requested forum could not be found.

Last edited:
Congratulations! I love the new look of the Forum. I'm still learning the new navigation but I'm sure that any issues with will be my techno-snafus and not the Forum. Thank you!

I just noticed that the new look also has a Like thumbs up, too! So Suztav, you got my first (y)

I also noticed the News and Articles page has the link to the Royal Forums android app. I don't recall seen this page before but with the new bright look all the 'hidden' Forum sections now seem to pop out nicely. I'll download the app, on the right side of the screen, from The Royal Forums

Last edited:
I love the new look! Very fancy-schmancy. Congrats to everyone at TRF for a successful upgrade! :-D

LOGIN CHANGE:

Update your profile:
  • Update your signature
Mobile viewing

Thread marking:

Thanks to all who have worked hard to install this new platform. It is so much easier to read when, as I have, problems with the eyes. And the look with colours and everything is just great!
The question I have: I used to get an alert when new posts were made in a thread I had subscribed, that doesn't seem to happen anymore. Maybe I did something wrong? Or is that not possible any longer?
Thanks in advance

I miss the “view first unread” option or am I probably missing how to get there now?

Thanks, but the FAQs link is giving me this message below:

Hmmm… can't reach this page

post%20in%20thread%20'forum%20101%20-%20posting%20basics,%20account%20help,%202024'%20https’s server IP address could not be found.

FYI update 10 mins after the above message:
I found the News and Articles section and it has a FAQs link, I clicked on it and also gave me a dead-end link message below. I assume during the Forum update the FAQ page address tag got un-linked from the Forum's pages.

Oops! We ran into some problems.

The requested forum could not be found.
It's post 22 in the Forum 101-thread.

I miss the “view first unread” option or am I probably missing how to get there now?
That took me a second to figure out. Under "new posts", if you click the time section i.e. "30 minutes ago" or "today at 1130" it well take you to the most recent post on that thread.

Back
Top Bottom