General News about Frederik, Mary and Family Part 19: September 2023 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What bothers me about this whole situation is the fact that democracies need the powers that be in them to balance each other out and to hold each other to account. In a monarchy, one of these powers is the royal family. I absolutely agree that they should be held to account. But another one of those powers is the press, and I all too often see people giving the press a free pass to act cynically and in a way that just serves their profit. This creates an imbalance that endangers imo in the long run the very survival of democracies. While the press is allowed to go rogue royal families often are held to an incredibly high standard. For example, in this case, Frederik and Mary are being accused by some people of presenting a „fairy tale“ to the public. From a cynical point of view, one could say that that is their job and they have done it well for a very long time, and what can you expect more? But then they are criticized for being inauthentic and basically lying to the public.

In my experience, you cannot have both: the perfect appearance and authenticity. Particularly not, if the humans in question have a more or less traumatizing family background which many royals actually have. Most traumatized people will at times act in a way that is irrational and damaging to themselves and their loved ones. (Don´t ask me how I know.)

There is a double standard in the expectations from the public towards royals on one hand and towards the media on the other. Royals are often expected to be some sort of superhumans while the media can do whatever as long as it is not expressly illegal. This creates an atmosphere where members of royal families are opened up to abusive behaviour from the press, not just in this case.

I don´t follow the Danish royals and I don´t have much of an opinion on Frederik. If I did and if I did not like him I might think that he deserves what is happening even though it may be abusive. But as it is, the very fact that he is being harrassed in order for other people to make money makes me sympathize with him. Maybe he was stupid but in my book stupidity is not a crime.
Besides, his family is made to suffer with him. I understand that people blame Frederik even more because of that. In contrast, I blame the media. Why? Because imo it is so obvious that they do not even try to pretend that they are serving the public good whereas I so far do not see that Frederik had any bad intention in this. When one party is stupid and the other ill-intentioned I will always side with the stupid one.

I haven´t followed these issues closely but the Spanish media appear to have done an overall good job with covering the major scandals in the Spanish royal family. In this case, though, it seems to me that the Danish Crown Prince had the misfortune of being seen with a woman who is not very popular with the Spanish public and has a certain reputation. (..) I get the impression that the Spanish media is either wildly overreacting or quite simply just after the money.
I don´t think that we as the public should support them in this or reward these practices, in our very own interest. For democracies to survive, the media has to be held morally accountable, too.

Frederik is not being harassed. He was photographed in a public place and seems to be remarkably left alone and not held to account by the Danish media about it.

If Frederik is processing trauma, he will have been doing it for decades and it will have affected far more of his behavior than this sole incident. He also needs a therapist in that case — not a random woman in a foreign country.

(…)

So the media is meant to hold people to account, but they must only do it out of the goodness of their hearts and for free, unlike every other profession. :whistling:

There is after all a reason why the profession of journalist ranks very low in polls about credible and respected professions.
Queen Letizia, Bob Woodward, Carl Bernstein, and many others thank you for the kind wishes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Genoveva had a very serious health problem last August. She had a pulmonary embolism for which she was admitted to the hospital and from which she is still recovering. So, dramatic or not, the constant harassment from the paparazzi that she would suffer in Madrid and the stress that this whole situation is generating has her family, friends and doctors highly concerned.

But of course, I understand that with all the great experts in the Spanish press that there are in this forum, no one has explained what Genoveva's situation is, even though all the Spanish media talk about it.

Thanks lula, I had seen that mentioned a couple of times here but had forgotten.

So many others beside Crown Prince Frederik must be affected by this.

It can’t be an easy time for Mary’s father.

Or her other family members who have to go out in the world to work and there is this speculation going on about their sister, aunt etc.

Frederik is not being harassed. He was photographed in a public place and seems to be remarkably left alone and not held to account by the Danish media about it.

If Frederik is processing trauma, he will have been doing it for decades and it will have affected far more of his behavior than this sole incident. He also needs a therapist in that case — not a random woman in a foreign country.

(..)

So the media is meant to hold people to account, but they must only do it out of the goodness of their hearts and for free, unlike every other profession. :whistling:

Queen Letizia, Bob Woodward, Carl Bernstein, and many others thank you for the kind wishes.

If the press wish to hold people to account, they must live up to their own standards. There are stories about a guy some 2.000 years ago who talked about seeing the splint in the eyes of thine brother, but not the girder in your own eye.
Otherwise what the press ends up selling is not information but infotainment. Hence why say Fox News is not considered a news channel in many countries.

Ah yes, for each of these journalists, some of whom are indeed very respectable, I can mention pretty much all journalists at Daily Mail, the Enquirer, Pravda, the Sun, Bunte, Womens Day, The express, etc.
If you lump them into two groups:
A) Those who belong among the really serious journalists like Woodward and Bernstein.
B) Or those who have a more, shall we say, open approach to journalism
- Then I wonder which group would be the largest?

A simple Google should easily provide results of polls like this:
https://www.ipsos.com/en-uk/politicians-are-still-trusted-less-estate-agents-journalists-and-bankers
But at least journalists are considered more trustworthy then real estate agents and politicians...
Wonder why?

-------------

Without further comparison I have this entertaining little story from 1852, which you may find apt in this day and age as well.
https://andersen.sdu.dk/vaerk/hersholt/ItsQuiteTrue.html

Just to whittle away the time, while we wait for more incriminating evidence about Frederik perceived transgressions.

That’s what I’m expecting Adda, especially from someone used to having a celebrity profile and working it, and who has friends in the media.

Then more sh*t will hit the fan, and another cat will be out of the bag and can never be put back in.

This is why I think the Danish Royal Family are staying stum. Not because they are above it all, not because they hope it will die down and they can ride it out.

The unknown in all of this is Genoveva Casanova and she has not shown her hand yet, let alone played it.

No-one wants to speak up, or have their friends speak out on their behalf, until they know what is going to come out from the other person involved in this, who has a life to continue and her own interests at stake.

I think the Danish Royal Family is staying quiet because they have nothing to say -- at least nothing that would end this story.

Whether Frederik had an affair or not doesn't really matter. It's his and Mary's business, and unless their marriage breaks up, it's not a public matter.

So, no point in the royal house commenting on that aspect of the story. If Casanova sells her "story" -- if she has one -- they may change their minds, but I doubt it.

The more important aspect is Frederik's judgment in letting himself be seen in a situation like this. It was a careless move, regardless of whether the meeting was entirely innocent.

The royal house obviously isn't going to comment on that, either, unless this story gets a lot bigger and Frederik issues a statement. (I don't think it's at that point now.)

Genoveva had a very serious health problem last August. She had a pulmonary embolism for which she was admitted to the hospital and from which she is still recovering. So, dramatic or not, the constant harassment from the paparazzi that she would suffer in Madrid and the stress that this whole situation is generating has her family, friends and doctors highly concerned.

She may have had a pulmonary embolism, but most people are back to normal (on medication) within a week or two after that. If she were "still recovering," she would not have been well enough to walk around the art exhibition or go out to dinner.

If the press wish to hold people to account, they must live up to their own standards. There are stories about a guy some 2.000 years ago who talked about seeing the splint in the eyes of thine brother, but not the girder in your own eye.
Otherwise what the press ends up selling is not information but infotainment. Hence why say Fox News is not considered a news channel in many countries.

Ah yes, for each of these journalists, some of whom are indeed very respectable, I can mention pretty much all journalists at Daily Mail, the Enquirer, Pravda, the Sun, Bunte, Womens Day, The express, etc.
If you lump them into two groups:
A) Those who belong among the really serious journalists like Woodward and Bernstein.
B) Or those who have a more, shall we say, open approach to journalism
- Then I wonder which group would be the largest?

Muhler and Prinsara, I think you both have good points about journalism. I'd make a distinction, though. Most of the media covering stories like this are entertainment/gossip outlets, not news outlets. They are preparing salacious stories for public consumption as click-bait and to get eyes on ads.

This stories may include "investigations" -- tracking people, hiding in bushes, etc. -- but that's quite different from "investigative reporting."

They should all hold themselves to higher standards, but as long as there's a public appetite for gossip and scandal, people will keep cranking it out.

I think there is a rather big plot hole in the story. An important plot hole. Which I am surprised that no Danish media has been critical of.

The story first sound that the Spanish photographers had photographic documentation of CP Frederik entering the hallway and left it the next morning - and that’s also the fact everyone is talking about - but now it’s turns out that there is no photographic documentation of him leaving the hallway that morning?

In the video released yesterday, we can see CP Frederik walking on a street, standing on the side of the road where an embassy car comes and takes him to the airport. If no fewer than FOUR photographers were lurking outside Casanova's hallway all night why do none of the four photographers have pictures of him exiting and leaving the building? Maybe because those pictures don't exist?

At the photos/video of CP Frederik on the street being picked up by a car from the embassy and driven to the airport… he could have left any building. Maybe they have pictures of him leaving a building that morning but left them out of their story since they show him coming out of a building that isn't Casanova's? We only have the magazine’s word for which building and they are of course interested in making a good story and good money.

Or have I missed something?
Isn't it a rather important piece of documentation to be missing in this particular story?

I am not here to defend, but I allow myself to be highly critical of a story like this which indeed seems so out of character for CP Frederik!

I have followed F&M closely for two decades now and so many crap stories have been written.
A few years back, a story was published about CP Mary's siblings and father defaming her on their private social media. They disliked Mary and enjoyed spending time together without her. I found out, with the help of others, that Mary's father and brother's Facebook profiles were fake. They looked uncannily like the real profiles of Mary's father and brother. The only difference was that the fake profiles had no friends. I contacted the DRF communications department and some time later the story was taken down and the media admitted to falsifying the profiles of Mary's father and brother to make up the story.

Then there was the story about CP Mary who had been “cold as ice” towards Prs Marie and Alexandra at a bar in Copenhagen. It also made it’s way around in the media. I saw many comments about how Mary dare to act so rude towards Marie. Someone found out that CP Mary had been on an unofficial exercise with the Home Guard in Jutland that weekend. The media had to go to confession and admit that Mary had not even been present that evening. Only Marie and Alexandra had. The media had to apologize to CP Mary.

These are just a few examples. So forgive me if I am suspicious and critical of stories like these about F&M.
It has always seemed to me that there is a small group that so damn badly wants to bring F&M down and destroy them as a couple and family. For an unknown reason.

IMO there is also such simple little things as the Crown Prince wearing his wedding ring the whole time in Madrid. If you were going to visit your affair, holding hands and having intimate contact, wouldn't you take off your wedding ring those days? It must be so uncomfortable to look at and touch that wedding ring for both of you while during dirty things. Eh.

And observing F&M during the state visit when the story hit the news.. I noticed CP Frederik who several times put his hand on Mary's lower back, and the morning after, when Letizia and Mary were confused about where to stand during the photo shoot, Frederik grabs Mary's arm to guide her into place. I don't know about you.. but if I had just been busted for having an affair I wouldn't dare touch my wife. I wouldn’t even dare look at her.

F&M has been doing more than excellent for two decades! They deserve the story to be researched extremely thoroughly and critically. This is bloody serious and there is a family with children involved that could potentially be destroyed with no valid evidence other than the words of some Spanish paparazzi and pictures they can put together (and leave out) in the way they want.

Last edited:
I think there is a rather big plot hole in the story. An important plot hole. Which I am surprised that no Danish media has been critical of.

The story first sound that the Spanish photographers had photographic documentation of CP Frederik entering the hallway and left it the next morning - and that’s also the fact everyone is talking about - but now it’s turns out that there is no photographic documentation of him leaving the hallway that morning?

In the video released yesterday, we can see CP Frederik walking on a street, standing on the side of the road where an embassy car comes and takes him to the airport. If no fewer than FOUR photographers were lurking outside Casanova's hallway all night why do none of the four photographers have pictures of him exiting and leaving the building? Maybe because those pictures don't exist?

At the photos/video of CP Frederik on the street being picked up by a car from the embassy and driven to the airport… he could have left any building. Maybe they have pictures of him leaving a building that morning but left them out of their story since they show him coming out of a building that isn't Casanova's? We only have the magazine’s word for which building and they are of course interested in making a good story and good money.

Isn't it a rather important piece of documentation to be missing in this particular story?

I am not here to defend, but I allow myself to be highly critical of a story like this which indeed seems so out of character for CP Frederik!

I have followed F&M closely for two decades now and so many crap stories have been written.
A few years back, a story was published about CP Mary's siblings and father defaming her on their private social media. They disliked Mary and enjoyed spending time together without her. I found out, with the help of others, that Mary's father and brother's Facebook profiles were fake. They looked uncannily like the real profiles of Mary's father and brother. The only difference was that the fake profiles had no friends. I contacted the DRF communications department and some time later the story was taken down and the media admitted to falsifying the profiles of Mary's father and brother to make up the story.

Then there was the story about CP Mary who had been “cold as ice” towards Prs Marie and Alexandra at a bar in Copenhagen. It also made it’s way around in the media. I saw many comments about how Mary dare to act so rude towards Marie. Someone found out that CP Mary had been on an unofficial exercise with the Home Guard in Jutland that weekend. The media had to go to confession and admit that Mary had not even been present that evening. Only Marie and Alexandra had. The media had to apologize to CP Mary.

These are just a few examples. So forgive me if I am suspicious and critical of stories like these about F&M.
It has always seemed to me that there is a small group that so damn badly wants to bring F&M down and destroy them as a couple and family. For an unknown reason.

IMO there is also such a simple little thing as the Crown Prince wearing his wedding ring the whole time in Madrid. If you were going to visit your affair, holding hands and having intimate contact, wouldn't you take off your wedding ring those days? It must be so uncomfortable to look at and touch that wedding ring for both of you while during dirty things. Eh.

F&M has been doing more than excellent for two decades! They deserve the history to be researched extremely thoroughly and critically. This is bloody serious and there is a family with children involved that could potentially be destroyed with no valid evidence other than the words of some Spanish paparazzi and pictures they can put together (and leave out) in the way they want.

Maybe not all photos, or video, are out in public yet, who knows what may yet come forth. Those in control of what the photographers captured may be stringing this out for maximum effect.

Certainly this is no longer under the control of the mainstream media.

I’ve seen someone claiming a close association with Ms Casanova saying she signed what sounds like a non-disclosure agreement four months ago. And on YouTube “Danish sources” being quoted as saying Mary and Frederik have split.

I think the Crown Prince Couple will continue on as per normal, and any damage this speculation about their marriage has done will be “healed” by that.

Unfortunately, they are not in control of what others may do or say, and that must be stressful to all concerned.

Certainly Mary and Frederik are bearing the most burden of all this being so public.

Even if it is not being addressed in Denmark, it seems to be a well known situation elsewhere.

Any further fuel will see it flare up again if more comes to light.

Last edited:
Whether Frederik had an affair or not doesn't really matter. It's his and Mary's business, and unless their marriage breaks up, it's not a public matter.

I do not think this affair is something only between Frederik and Mary! They are formost persons of public interest - This is the shadowy side of their "job", this always standing in the spotlight. But in exchange they enjoy fantastic real estate, sufficent money, exellent food, medical care and the best life chances for their offspring.

Plus: Every affair on this level is also a process of communication between the actors and the press. If the actors and their staff and public relations advisors would not read the press, all would be ok - But they do! There are humans involved, emotions... and the tenor of the press might change the perception and the actions of the actors.

IMO there is also such simple little things as the Crown Prince wearing his wedding ring the whole time in Madrid. If you were going to visit your affair, holding hands and having intimate contact, wouldn't you take off your wedding ring those days? It must be so uncomfortable to look at and touch that wedding ring for both of you while during dirty things. Eh.

And observing F&M during the state visit when the story hit the news.. I noticed CP Frederik who several times put his hand on Mary's lower back, and the morning after, when Letizia and Mary were confused about where to stand during the photo shoot, Frederik grabs Mary's arm to guide her into place. I don't know about you.. but if I had just been busted for having an affair I wouldn't dare touch my wife. I wouldn’t even dare look at her.

F&M has been doing more than excellent for two decades! They deserve the story to be researched extremely thoroughly and critically. This is bloody serious and there is a family with children involved that could potentially be destroyed with no valid evidence other than the words of some Spanish paparazzi and pictures they can put together (and leave out) in the way they want.

Thank you Roskilde . Great examples of past incidents being wrongly framed in the past.
I too brought examples of past "scandals" specifically the 2009 boat incident, but many have chosen their own narratives with missing facts.

Thank you Roskilde . Great examples of past incidents being wrongly framed in the past.
I too brought examples of past "scandals" specifically the 2009 boat incident, but many have chosen their own narratives with missing facts.

Agree. Great and insightful post by Roskilde showing exactly how things can be manipulated to form a desired narrative or to just outright lie. Sadly, some believe these narratives and lies and believe what imo are seriously dubious sources, of which there are many online including IG, Twitterand YouTube. And others well, they just either feed off drama or want to believe the worst.

Excellent points Roskilde , Its a sad fact that when stories are proved false they rarely get the same press publicity the original 'fake/ false ' story gets .

Maybe not all photos, or video, are out in public yet, who knows what may yet come forth. Those in control of what the photographers captured may be stringing this out for maximum effect.

Certainly this is no longer under the control of the mainstream media.

I’ve seen someone claiming a close association with Ms Casanova saying she signed what sounds like a non-disclosure agreement four months ago. And on YouTube “Danish sources” being quoted as saying Mary and Frederik have split.

I think the Crown Prince Couple will continue on as per normal, and any damage this speculation about their marriage has done will be “healed” by that.

Unfortunately, they are not in control of what others may do or say, and that must be stressful to all concerned.

Certainly Mary and Frederik are bearing the most burden of all this being so public.

Even if it is not being addressed in Denmark, it seems to be a well known situation elsewhere.

Any further fuel will see it flare up again if more comes to light.

Claims and "Danish sources" is hardly the most reliable basis for assumptions.

That could be someone commenting on Facebook. - It's like me basing an assumption of some comments on Daily Mail and call them "British sources."

Unless reports from named individuals, preferably backed up by verifiable evidence, begin to surface about Frederik living by himself at Kancellihuset at Fredensborg M&F have not "split up".

And "a close association" is what? Another unnamed source.

I doubt very much people who really are in the know will be particularly talkative.

As for the press having lost control. That ship sailed years ago. The mainstream media is no longer in control. There are lots of bloggers out there, some with expert knowledge, some may even by trained journalists and others really do have genuine "sources" - but the majority of all bloggers and commenters who take up whatever topic it might be, are not particularly reliable.
So here caution is also very advisable when reading/viewing them.

We also have to keep in mind that photos can be "edited" so that events and persons appear in other settings. I've done it myself several times here on TRF with both Frederik and Mary. They are in the fan-art threads.
Not that I think it's the case here though, just to make that clear. But it can be done.

A couple of examples from 2012. I've gained a lot more experience since then. And if I can do something fairly primitive as this, what can a real professional do?
https://app.box.com/s/orl3r2c4c4r63wntpuey
https://app.box.com/s/64rtlmdnpgeaosxi0iyw
https://app.box.com/s/zytu88gupfuixcspdf1ras78nt33u4pp
https://app.box.com/s/ukjd6bauxf8o8pxtsv2kzwa9ips12nlz

So there are things I'm looking for. If M&F is experiencing a serious crisis, we may never see Mary looking at Frederik like this again:
https://app.box.com/s/kc5ncdg4mcwtgxfnplbywminq076aa1x
But is she still looks at him like that, then I doubt there is a crisis.
It takes an exceptional good actress to fake what she deep down doesn't feel.

Last edited:
Claims and "Danish sources" is hardly the most reliable basis for assumptions.

That could be someone commenting on Facebook. - It's like me basing an assumption of some comments on Daily Mail and call them "British sources."

Unless reports from named individuals, preferably backed up by verifiable evidence, begin to surface about Frederik living by himself at Kancellihuset at Fredensborg M&F have not "split up".

And "a close association" is what? Another unnamed source.

I doubt very much people who really are in the know will be particularly talkative.

As for the press having lost control. That ship sailed years ago. The mainstream media is no longer in control. There are lots of bloggers out there, some with expert knowledge, some may even by trained journalists and others really do have genuine "sources" - but the majority of all bloggers and commenters who take up whatever topic it might be, are not particularly reliable.
So here caution is also very advisable when reading/viewing them.

We also have to keep in mind that photos can be "edited" so that events and persons appear in other settings. I've done it myself several times here on TRF with both Frederik and Mary. They are in the fan-art threads.
Not that I think it's the case here though, just to make that clear. But it can be done.

A couple of examples from 2012. I've gained a lot more experience since then. And if I can do something fairly primitive as this, what can a real professional do?
https://app.box.com/s/orl3r2c4c4r63wntpuey
https://app.box.com/s/64rtlmdnpgeaosxi0iyw
https://app.box.com/s/zytu88gupfuixcspdf1ras78nt33u4pp
https://app.box.com/s/ukjd6bauxf8o8pxtsv2kzwa9ips12nlz

So there are things I'm looking for. If M&F is experiencing a serious crisis, we may never see Mary looking at Frederik like this again:
https://app.box.com/s/kc5ncdg4mcwtgxfnplbywminq076aa1x
But is she still looks at him like that, then I doubt there is a crisis.
It takes an exceptional good actress to fake what she deep down doesn't feel.

Oh Muhler, you’ve misunderstood my post.

Yes, I personally believe Frederik has been unfaithful, that is what I believe.

But when I mentioned the above things, that is not why I believe he has been unfaithful, but just to share what is out there.

That no matter what the Crown Prince Couple do/don’t do, no matter if the mainstream Danish media do/don’t report this or that, the ball is not in the DRF’s court.

That are not in control of how this is being perceived.

I could have equally posted that I’ve seen a lot of comments saying the photos are not of Frederik … too fat in the face, not his hair … and an even greater number of comments from people telling the media to stop reporting about it.

My point was that there is a wide range of opinion out there … in other countries, across the internet … that isn’t under anyone’s control. Not the Danish Royal Family, nor posters here who want to show their support for the Crown Prince.

Some informative posters, and some insightful posters, no longer seem to be sharing here, which degrades the discussion.

To me it is a shame that here, of all places, such a major earthquake in the image we all had of Mary and Frederik, is reduced to this.

Why is no-one posting about how Mary is doing … to me the light seems to have gone out of her eyes.

Why is no-one posting about some of the moments that have been captured on Frederik’s face since this went public … again, if it was all just scuttlebutt, why has the light in his eyes also gone.

How is Queen Margrethe doing … old, frail, possibly in pain. How is this for her last years on the throne. Even if it is not a major thing is Denmark, it is not a good look for Denmark in other places.

Why is no-one expressing concern for John Donaldson, so proud of his daughter at her wedding … and suspected of not being in robust health … how is this for him at this stage of his life.

The children, how are they going, how are they being affected?

I’m glad for the family that Prince Christian had his big Gala without this casting a pall.

And I’m glad his Australian Aunt, Uncle, cousins and Godfather had the chance of a wonderful family occasion without getting caught up in it.

Also young Count Nikolai and his girlfriend, that this didn’t break while he was getting a lot of media coverage because of the Melbourne Cup.

I wish we could discuss the wider implications of this story … whether we believe Frederik and Genoveva are innocent or whether we believe they are guilty.

How is this going to work going forward. The couple trying to represent Denmark abroad, bring attention to worthy causes within the country, on a private level amongst family and friends.

I posted a video in the “Summering Royals” thread of Mary and Frederik swimming in the sea off Formentera Island the other day, from their recent family holiday.

It was actually a joy to see something light and happy, their happy interaction.

No-one posting here is unaffected by this. It really upset me for a few days. I would say I am still processing it. It was always a quick little escape to see the couple, especially on holiday down here.

Just before this broke I was going to post a video showing the guests arriving in the corridor leading into Mary and Frederik’s wedding reception.

Jane walking back and forth behind people being photographed/interviewed taking Mary’s bouquet into the main wedding table … no, going and fetching it again and taking it back to Mary so she can enter carrying it. Amber laughing and posing. All the Australian and Scottish family members at such a grand National event … and for their Mary.

I don’t think I can share that now.

I hope the couple can come through this on a personal level, everything depends on that. No-one wants this hanging over their heads … further revelations, exposes, TV shows, podcasts, YouTube’s discussing the ins and outs.

I miss the light, happy … inspiring even … photos, stories etc.

We all need a bit of escapism and Mary and Frederik gave that.

This is just sad.

Last edited:
Hmm.

It genuinely saddens me that you have reached that conclusion. It sounds pretty pessimistic on so many levels. Deeply disappointed perhaps? :ermm:
But... what if you are wrong? What if M&F still love each other? And are still happy together?

The light in M&F's eyes gone? It may have dimmed as it so often does as we grow older, only to flare up in moments of intimacy.
During the period of being in love, that's when your eyes flash. For some this stage lasts years, for a fortunate few it last all their lives. But for the rest of us, the day to day life sets in, and if we work on it every day, that being in love stage matures into something much stronger: Love.
That's where the glances you exchange go from fiery passion to deep confidentiality. - That is what I see between M&F now.

I do not believe in Frederik having had an affair, that seems out of character and also out of timing, for a lack of better expression. So my view is thus much more positive.
I hope you will regain your old view on M&F.

Hmm.

It genuinely saddens me that you have reached that conclusion. It sounds pretty pessimistic on so many levels. Deeply disappointed perhaps? :ermm:
But... what if you are wrong? What if M&F still love each other? And are still happy together?

The light in M&F's eyes gone? It may have dimmed as it so often does as we grow older, only to flare up in moments of intimacy.
During the period of being in love, that's when your eyes flash. For some this stage lasts years, for a fortunate few it last all their lives. But for the rest of us, the day to day life sets in, and if we work on it every day, that being in love stage matures into something much stronger: Love.
That's where the glances you exchange go from fiery passion to deep confidentiality. - That is what I see between M&F now.

I do not believe in Frederik having had an affair, that seems out of character and also out of timing, for a lack of better expression. So my view is thus much more positive.
I hope you will regain your old view on M&F.

Thanks Muhler. :flowers:

I enjoy both Sun Lion and Muhler's perspectives. Sometimes somebody else's thoughts can help us with our own way of looking at things, so it's always good to hear a range of ideas.

NB: I thought you did those fan-art composites really well, Muhler, especially the one on the cliff – though i wouldn't have been fooled by the mustachioed Fred.

Frederik changed clothes in G's building at least once and probably, twice. That would seem to pin him more firmly to that building than any particular doorway shot, but I guess anything is possible.

I'm afraid there isn't enough evidence to sway anyone off a position here: make Fred seem innocent in the eyes of those who feel he's guilty or bring suspicion to those who feel he's innocent.

That will come with anything in the future: should Genoveva choose to say something and Fred/DRF respond.

In a discussion of media, though, I wonder why no Danish reporter of any shade or stripe seems interested in doing any digging in Madrid (particularly of Fred's exact whereabouts) or even collaborating with a Spanish colleague. Surely it would be a worthwhile story either way, and if hard proof came up exonerating Frederik, the DRF would be eternally grateful...?

Are they not failing in due diligence by not trying to investigate the truth of this story?

What I see is those that have decided Frederik is guilty will not even engage anything other than what supports their chosen narrative. And any "source" no matter how dubious or unreliable that is presenting what they want or seemingly need to hear will be deemed fact and that's it. Oh well.

What many have pointed out still stands...the media can craft any narrative they want, manipulate visuals etc. But oh of course that would never happen in this case. Right? That's mor even within the realm of possibility right? These paps are of the utmost caliber and must be taken at their word. Frederik is obviously a heathen, should be branded with a Scarlet letter and paraded down the streets of Copenhagen. People anxiously await the optics of Mary in tears evidenced by all the body language experts all of a sudden even in this thread that can now read every expression on Mary's face, have insight into Mary's family and children. The narrative that paints is that some are taking some sort of morbid pleasure in this.

(…)

The issue is not with wanting to get paid. The issue is with wanting to get paid for the exact opposite of what you are supposed to do.

Another thoughtful post, thank you. :flowers:

IMO the greatest threat to free speech and freedom of the press in the Western countries today, is the press themselves.

If the press does not regulate itself - and that includes fact checking each other - or is open to what is basically corruption, like not publishing material if it's bought by whomever it involves - then freedom of the press get gradually eroded.
The press is after all even more dependent on being credible than those they write about. When the press lose credibility, the freedom of the press is eroded. It's too easy to claim: "fake news" and be believed.
And there are plenty of people who would be more than willing to limit the freedom of the press, given half the chance! A rogue and untrustworthy press corps is just perfect.
Thank you, Muhler. Keep fighting the good fight!

Thank you, Roskilde. I did not know any of this. It does sound concerning.

I enjoy both Sun Lion and Muhler's perspectives. Sometimes somebody else's thoughts can help us with our own way of looking at things, so it's always good to hear a range of ideas.
I agree. After all, being a royal watcher always comes with speculations of some sort. Everybody has impressions and opinions of their own. I enjoy witnessing them being shared in a respectful, thoughtful way.

As to the possibility that Frederik did NOT spend the night at Genoveva Casanova's Home and instead spend it at one of the supposed "good" Hotels" on that Street OR The Danish Embassy nearby, sorry, NOT buying it. AT all.

For two reasons......The Danish Palace Advisors would have had "friendly" Reporters in Spain interview *whatevers* Hotel Consierge about how this a a "non story". Preposterous. Laughable. The Crown Prince of Denmark was a welcomed guest that night ! Dismissing then and there this. Blowing up, destroy, the scandal narrative.
That NEVER happened. A nice bit of cash for giving his or her "exclusive" to Spanish Media.

Neutralizing the impact and innuendo, there IN Spain, which IS leading this. Even if Denmark media is ignoring this.

Second, had Frederik been at either a Hotel or The Embassy, he would have been accompanied by Security, and waited there, for his ride. Not walking around outside on a Street in Madrid, by himself. Then waiting by a bus stop. In the AM early hours. C'mon.

Queen Margarethe, Mary, AND The Palace Advisers KNOW exactly what happened. Or didn't. I mean, what CAN really be said, I suppose ? They are riding this out, in silence.
They are hoping that interest fades, which unless there are more damning details revealed it will.

Last edited:
So because someone does not "buy" any alternative explanation or that there are possibly holes in their preferred narrative does not stop there from being so. Their preferred version of events is just that...the version they've chosen to accept flat out and will dismiss, deny, deride, or refuse to even have an open mind about anything that diverts from their lane.

Why be so adamant that there are other possibilities? Is it that some want it to be true? Meed it to be true? Why? Things are almost never just so yes or no if I recall.

Anyway, I'm a glad to see that many in this thread can look at this situation with a critical and common sense eye and apply critical thinking skills. In my line of work that is an important skill to have and imo in life as well. We all know who the media, especially the ones involved in this matter, operate and the depths they can go to formulate a narrative knowing there are people out there that will buy it hook line and sinker without question.

If it wasn't so offensive, it would be bordering on hilarious that some people in all honesty seem to think the collective Danish media are sparing Frederik, somehow. As if Ekstra Bladet haven't taken it upon themselves to yell out questions about Frederik's Madrid trip to members of the DRF at every given opportunity (even Frederik's ex-girlfriend Malou Aamund has been targeted).

But because they're not being morally corrupt like the Spanish press or push a particularly salacious narrative on the basis of a few pictures that show nothing, they're in the wrong?

Funny how that didn't fly on here when William was in the line of fire. Different rules for different people, I see :cool:

(…)

Neutralizing the impact and innuendo, there IN Spain, which IS leading this. Even if Denmark media is ignoring this.

Danish media isn't ignoring anything. They just aren't cooking up a storm on the basis of assumptions and anonymous sources (again, funny how those only want to speak to the Spanish media...)

If it wasn't so offensive, it would be bordering on hilarious that some people in all honesty seem to think the collective Danish media are sparing Frederik, somehow. As if Ekstra Bladet haven't taken it upon themselves to yell out questions about Frederik's Madrid trip to members of the DRF at every given opportunity (even Frederik's ex-girlfriend Malou Aamund has been targeted).

Thank you for letting us know that Archduchess Zelia.

I had gotten the impression, from reading various posts here, that this was a non-story in Denmark, something that was barely known about.

And I understand nobody would want to get into the situation of having to deny each and every thing that ever comes out.

But personally, I would come out all guns blazing if my marriage and reputation was being assaulted … and I was innocent.

Sorry Granada, I’ve forgotten how to put two quotes in one post, but I’m in agreement with what you have said just above.

If it was all indeed just rogue media making money off besmirching my conduct, I wouldn’t just try to go about my official duties while having questions yelled at me.

That is not good for the prestige and status of the position members of the Royal Family hold.

And if others are being questioned as well, as they go about their ordinary lives … and there was truly nothing in it … with all the resources available to the DRF in the way of official spokespeople, PR companies who support the institution, friends, friendly media and so on …

… well I would have set wheels in motion some time back instead of letting this fester.

As to the possibility that Frederik did NOT spend the night at Genoveva Casanova's Home and instead spend it at one of the supposed "good" Hotels" on that Street OR The Danish Embassy nearby, sorry, NOT buying it. AT all.

For two reasons......The Danish Palace Advisors would have had "friendly" Reporters in Spain interview *whatevers* Hotel Consierge about how this a a "non story". Preposterous. Laughable. The Crown Prince of Denmark was a welcomed guest that night ! Dismissing then and there this. Blowing up, destroy, the scandal narrative.
That NEVER happened. A nice bit of cash for giving his or her "exclusive" to Spanish Media.

Second, had Frederik been at either a Hotel or The Embassy, he would have been accompanied by Security, and waited there, for his ride. Not walking around outside on a Street in Madrid, by himself. Then waiting by a bus stop. In the AM early hours. C'mon.

Queen Margarethe, Mary, AND The Palace Advisers KNOW exactly what happened. Or didn't. I mean, what CAN really be said, I suppose ? They are riding this out, in silence.
They are hoping that interest fades, which unless there are more damning details revealed it will.

That's the point. He may actually have been there incognito and using not a fake passport, but an ordinary Danish passport using a different name - as he has done before. Which means that he would have checked using a different name and not been accompanied by security.
Also, the more stars a hotel has, the more discreet they are in regards to their guests. They are not admitting to a crown prince being a guest at their hotel, just because some journalist ask them. Discretion is what they live of.

Another thing is that the DRF may actually save that little piece of info for the moment they feel they have to respond. (Right now they are trying to silence this to death.) If need be they may present Frederik with an alibi of him staying at a hotel that night. - It's a possibility. But adultery doesn't have to take place at night, you know. So such evidence doesn't really acquit Frederik of anything either.

Anyway, if I were in a position anywhere similar to Frederik, I would not commit adultery, that is have intercourse, at the home of my mistress or in a hotel. The reason can be explained in to words: Planted cameras.
Too big a risk of blackmail later on or revenge.

Frederik changed clothes in G's building at least once and probably, twice. That would seem to pin him more firmly to that building than any particular doorway shot, but I guess anything is possible.

I'm afraid there isn't enough evidence to sway anyone off a position here: make Fred seem innocent in the eyes of those who feel he's guilty or bring suspicion to those who feel he's innocent.

That will come with anything in the future: should Genoveva choose to say something and Fred/DRF respond.

In a discussion of media, though, I wonder why no Danish reporter of any shade or stripe seems interested in doing any digging in Madrid (particularly of Fred's exact whereabouts) or even collaborating with a Spanish colleague. Surely it would be a worthwhile story either way, and if hard proof came up exonerating Frederik, the DRF would be eternally grateful...?

Are they not failing in due diligence by not trying to investigate the truth of this story?

Who says they aren't?
Fact checking journalism takes time though. And that of course includes checking the photographers and their background. They may very well be faced with some unpleasant questions. So may some of the Spanish journalists who have written about this.

Another reason could be that the Danish media are just as skeptical about this story as some of us here in this thread. And/or they have looked at the story and decided there isn't enough meat on this story to proceed. In other words: Insufficient evidence of adultery.
They seem more interested in why Frederik was in Spain and also whether PET protected him. But PET is as always extremely secretive, not least in regards to protection of persons. As they of course should be.
However, I think Frederik can forget all about being allowed to go around without PET officers for a very long time. Especially abroad.

I do not think this affair is something only between Frederik and Mary! They are formost persons of public interest - This is the shadowy side of their "job", this always standing in the spotlight. But in exchange they enjoy fantastic real estate, sufficent money, exellent food, medical care and the best life chances for their offspring.

Plus: Every affair on this level is also a process of communication between the actors and the press. If the actors and their staff and public relations advisors would not read the press, all would be ok - But they do! There are humans involved, emotions... and the tenor of the press might change the perception and the actions of the actors.

What you're describing is the issue of Frederik's judgment in allowing himself to be put in this position, not the affair itself. (If there even was an affair.)

Who Frederik is or isn't sleeping with is his personal life, and it is only a public matter if it compromises or creates a danger for the royal family. That could mean anything from a security breach to leading to a situation that undermines public opinion about the family.

(...)

Funny how that didn't fly on here when William was in the line of fire. Different rules for different people, I see :cool:

(…)

I appreciate your need to defend Frederick, but in Frederick's case, there are photographic evidences of him walking with a woman then entering and leaving a building which is said to be the woman's house where she's at that time living alone.

While for William's alleged "affair", it was a journalist's tweet which he later admitted was one he made while drunk and he knows nothing about said allegation. But even with no evidences supporting it to this day (other than hearsay/blind items from some random on social media) and that the original " source" of said allegation denying multiple times, some people on social media have condemned him of cheating because ironically, many people who have lost their faith to mainstream media choose to believe social media instead.

IIRC, people here in this forum started discussing about Daniel's affair allegation only after the royal household issued statement debunking it, not because the gossip on social media. Or are we, in this forum, will start discussing every royal affair rumours circulating on social media just to even it out with Frederick's? Of those photos were of William instead of Frederick, I'm sure the furore will be worse than this.

Who knows, maybe he spilled his wine over his shirt and Genoveva offer him to change his clothes in her home, maybe he left after but the photos just weren't published, and maybe he left something in her home so he made a stop at her home again the next morning before leaving for airport and we've only shown photos of him leaving but not of him entering in the morning? The fact is, there are photos of Frederick entering a single woman's house at night after having dinner at a restaurant and another of him leaving in the morning wearing different clothes and people discussing it.

As shown in this thread, nowadays people start to see affair as a norm (and fidelity in relationship as exception), so when a married man is seen together with a woman who's not his wife in a questionable setting, many people's first assumption will be that they're having an affair (I lost a male friend because of this kind of accusation, since then I've learnt my lesson not to put myself in that kind of situation).

For me, it's not about whether their fairytale romance or whether they still love each other or not. It's about commitment, about keeping his words. When he marries Mary, he gave his words that he'll commit to her. On top of it, he chose her himself, out of love, not out of political obligation or whatever leading to arranged marriage like royals in the past. If he can't keep this words for this matter, can he keeps his words for other? He's future head of state after all. (But then again some might argue that almost every politician, leaders never keep their words anyway, but is it wrong to hope that Frederick is a better person?)

I want to believe that my scenario above (spilled wine, unreleased photos) is what might actually happen and Fred remains faithful to his wife because it will make him trustworthy, as proof that he's a man who can keep his words and can commit to a role he hold, a role of husband he chose himself and a role of (future) head of state he's born with.

I hope he learnt for this and be more careful in the future not to unnecessarily put himself in scandal when it can be avoidable. I say unnecessary because he could just NOT went to Genoveva's home. Photos of him walking with her will be harmless, he's photographed hugging a woman some months ago and nobody was discussing it (can't remember her name, but said to be his old friend).

Not to mention his reckless behaviours of wandering around alone (though I want to believe there's security around watching him, just not captured by the paps because they're good in their job in being unnoticeable). Isn't there a Danish king who died incognito because he's wandering alone? Sure, he has right for privacy but he's also public figure, he's not nobody. He should know better.

Last edited:

But because they're not being morally corrupt like the Spanish press or push a particularly salacious narrative on the basis of a few pictures that show nothing, they're in the wrong?

(…)

Danish media isn't ignoring anything. They just aren't cooking up a storm on the basis of assumptions and anonymous sources (again, funny how those only want to speak to the Spanish media...)

And in that context here is a BT article that may help to illuminate the difference between the DK press and the Spanish press.
https://www.bt.dk/royale/anna-thyge...-efter-udtalelse-om-kronprins-frederik-der-er
It's a communication expert Anna Thygesen (she has lived in Spain), who in BT has explained about the Spanish coverage (which appears to fascinate the DK pres much more than what Frederik did or didn't do in Spain.) as such she was recently by a Spanish producer from Telecincos news show, TardeAR.

She explains to BT:
Der (Hos det spanske medie, red.) er det en kæmpe skandale. Og jeg tror, de flipper ud over, at de ikke kan få fat i nogen i Danmark, der rigtig kan udtale sig,« fortæller Anna Thygesen med henvisning til, at kongehuset blandt ikke har villet udtale sig.
"There (Spanish media) it's ahuge scandal. And I think they freak out over that that can't get anyone in Denmark who can issue a genuine statement." Referring to the DRF not wanting to give a statement.
"Down there it's about Casanova being so well known that there are paparazzi who follow her. They have spottet that she is seeing some man and then it goes berserk when it's Crown Prince Frederik."
»Dernede handler det jo om, at Casanova er så kendt, at der er papparizzier, der følger hende. De har set at hun ser en eller anden mand, og så går det jo helt amok, da det er ham (Kronprins Frederik, red.),«

The Spanish producer however got some facts wrong.
He asked among other things how long she thought Frederik would be able to sit on the throne. - Frederik is as we all know not yet the monarch.
She was also asked whether she thought M&F were to divorce. Anna Thygesen replied that she is a communication expert, not a journalist.

She goes on explaining that: The Spanish producer can't understand that this isn't a bigger story in Denmark - and that it isn't the absolute top news.

-------------

In a previous article Anna Thygesen explained that the Spanish coverage would have led to the editors of several Spanish media having to explain themselves in Presselogen = The Press Guild - which is a much viewed show about press ethics. And quite a few editors in chiefs have been squirming in their chairs in that show over the years!

-----------

Anyway, what I find interesting in this article is that a Spanish producer called a pretty insignificant communications expert in DK about this. After all he had to dig out her contact details first.
Surely someone from a TV network would contact their Danish counterparts first? And then someone from a major newspaper.

That leads me to speculate that the Spanish media are basically being turned down by the Danish press. For reasons we can only guess at.
And I agree wholeheartedly with Archduchess Zelia, while some segments of the Danish press could, repeat could, be persuaded to keep this story at an arms length, other segments of the DK press definitely will not! And in particular that means the Politiken publishing house. With the very serious (and republican) newspaper Politiken and the pretty trashy tabloid Ekstra Bladet. If there was meat on this story, especially if there was hard evidence, they would not hold back.

--------------

It's also an interesting cultural difference.
In Spain a married man seen entering the home of an unmarried woman = potential sleazy scandal.
In Denmark = Ooookay..., so what?

Last edited:
Is there a link to photos video of him actually leaving the house in the morning? Or is that the assumption based on photo and video of him standing on the street? It is quite an important distinction there. Or, is the narrative that has been alleged by these paps the only thing suggesting that? Paps that supposedly camped out all night watching a door and misses the "money" shot? Forgive me for not taking these paps at their word. Where is the context of the video of him in the morning? Where is the footage just moments before that to provide the context what how he got to the sidewalk? Why not provide that? Call me naive, but imo those are legitimate questions. I don't just blindly fall for their narrative especially when there are issues that lend reasonable doubt to its accuracy. Other may believe it simply because they want to believe Frederik is a womanizing swine and now they have their supposed proof. But, I, like some others on here, seem to still have red flags about this hole thing.

And now it seems the Spanish media has an issue with the response of the DK media. And it makes me wonder why? Were they maybe expecting to be sought out by the DK media for statements, interviews, commentary? Personal gain somehow? Things that make me wonder as to their expectations.

Is there a link to photos video of him actually leaving the house in the morning? Or is that the assumption based on photo and video of him standing on the street? It is quite an important distinction there.

I agree that it seems odd that we haven’t seen more definitive images that bolster the photographers’ accounts of what happened and also their reported timeline. They were following him for hours and were in a position to get any shot they wanted, especially outside the apartment. The fact that we haven’t seen images of him walking in and out the door is strange.

What we’ve seen and heard so far doesn’t necessarily add up to Frederik having an affair, to me, but I wouldn’t place a huge bet right now on him being completely innocent, either. There are obviously pieces of this story that we don’t know, and so far none of the parties involved has provided any additional information or context, so we’re left with speculation.

My main issue is Frederik’s lack of judgement in putting himself in a position where these photos could be taken, whether he’s having an affair or not. I think the state of Frederik and Mary’s private relationship is their own business, as long as things that should be private remain behind closed doors.

I agree that it seems odd that we haven’t seen more definitive images that bolster the photographers’ accounts of what happened and also their reported timeline. They were following him for hours and were in a position to get any shot they wanted, especially outside the apartment. The fact that we haven’t seen images of him walking in and out the door is strange.

What we’ve seen and heard so far doesn’t necessarily add up to Frederik having an affair, to me, but I wouldn’t place a huge bet right now on him being completely innocent, either. There are obviously pieces of this story that we don’t know, and so far none of the parties involved has provided any additional information or context, so we’re left with speculation.

My main issue is Frederik’s lack of judgement in putting himself in a position where these photos could be taken, whether he’s having an affair or not. I think the state of Frederik and Mary’s private relationship is their own business, as long as things that should be private remain behind closed doors.

Exactly right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom