Pierre Casiraghi, Beatrice & Family Current Events Part 19: August 2023 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iceflower

Administrator
Site Team
Country
Germany

Welcome to part 19 of the thread to discuss the current events of Pierre Casiraghi, his wife Beatrice and their family.

You can find the old thread here:

** Pierre Casiraghi, Beatrice & Family Current Events Part 18: August 2018 - August 2023 **

Please take a look at the
TRF Community Rules & FAQs

· Only pictures you have written permission to share can be posted here. You can post links to any pictures.
· No more than 20% of the text of an article can be posted, along with a link to the original article.
· It's a copyright violation to post translations of entire articles.
· We expect our members to treat each other and the royals and persons in these threads with respect.
· Opinions should be backed up by reference to published reports.
· Off topic and empty posts will be deleted without notice.
· Please be careful not to write in capital letters.

:flowers: Happy posting! :flowers:

Thank you for sharing this. I think she is stunning. I just saw some pics again of her wedding and all her gowns. Just a classic beauty. I also didn't realize that she was behind the Netflix series The King Who Never Was.

:previous: Same here. Her English is great but very heavily accented.

There was some discussion a while back about whether or not Beatrice speaks French, and the question is settled in the clip.

She does.;)

Impossibly gorgeous and elegant.Monaco is fortunate to have her.

:previous: Same here. Her English is great but very heavily accented...

What means "But"? A lage part of the craft of anglo actors is it to imitate the various acccents spoken in the anglo world - and not to mumble...

I, a German, understood every word, she was saying and I think her accent is very attractive!

Accents can be charming but if they are very heavy can get in the way. I found her accent so thick to be distracting.
Her French is lovely, however. I wonder if that is what she speaks with her husband?

What means "But"? A lage part of the craft of anglo actors is it to imitate the various acccents spoken in the anglo world - and not to mumble...

I, a German, understood every word, she was saying and I think her accent is very attractive!

It's not an accent spoken by any native English speaker, though. Her intonation is also heavily foreign. She obviously does not hang around a lot of native Anglophones or speak English with her mother-in-law or Caroline's siblings.

She also calls a bookstore/bookshop a "library", which is a faux ami. She's clearly not thinking of a bibliothèque, but just using the French librairie.

Perhaps the intonation makes it easier for a non-Anglophone to understand her, but "but" means but. She's still extremely intelligent and sophisticated, but this is not one of the many things she's been gifted with — or worked for, for that matter.

Last edited:
It's not an accent spoken by any native English speaker, though. Her intonation is also heavily foreign. She obviously does not hang around a lot of native Anglophones or speak English with her mother-in-law or Caroline's siblings.

She also calls a bookstore/bookshop a "library", which is a faux ami. She's clearly not thinking of a bibliothèque, but just using the French librairie.

Perhaps the intonation makes it easier for a non-Anglophone to understand her, but "but" means but. She's still extremely intelligent and sophisticated, but this is not one of the many things she's been gifted with — or worked for, for that matter.

It's impossible for us to know how much Beatrice uses English. We do know that she moves in circles of society and areas of the world where English is widely used. Many fluent non-native speakers of a language they use every day still have heavy accents and a foreign intonation. I personally had no problems with understanding her, but that might be one of the blessings of being European since so many of us are used to speaking and hearing languages spoken with a multitude of accents, intonations, level of fluency both in real life and through media and are switching between different languages during the day.

Maybe I've been living in Europe too long but I find her English excellent. There is an accent, but not that heavy compared to most people I encounter (political arena) who do speak English here.

I like her comments about the books, they actually made me curious about checking them out. She comes across very passionate, and it's clear these have been her interests for a long time. She is used to articulating herself, speaking out her mind. Sorry to compare her and Charlotte (but not in a bad way, just in a "can't help it way"), but I find her easier to listen to as I think her book choices are more relatable to me. Charlotte's Chanel series is a visual feast and definitely makes me check names of authors I've not heard of before, but it can be too highbrow. They are both impressive women and must be fun to have a drink with while discussing all sorts of literary works, lol. Princess Caroline must be very proud of her brood, in-laws included.

Béatrice for sure is non a native English speaker and does not pretend to be. She is an Italian native raised in Italy with fully Italian parents and attended Italian schools and university. So it is absolutely normal that she has an italian accent. Full stop.

Nevertheless she did a master in USA and moves into international people so she should speak a lot of English, French also as she lives in a French speaking place and evaluates in a French speaking family. She communicates in Italian with Pierre and I believe with Caroline also. About the other members (Andrea+Tatiana, Charlotte, Alexandra) I doubt they are fluent in Italian, so French or English.
Furthermore having an accent it does not mean you don't master a language. Some people are capable to catch immediately an accent without having a deep language mastery. For me there are 2 different things.

The Dior Book Tote Club with Beatrice Borromeo

I think she looks lovely and its a nice advert, but do you think Dior are trying to thinly copy what Chanel does with Charlotte ( I know Charlotte does a lot more like her book club ) but feels like very similar advertising

:previous: I have the exact same suspicion about what Dior is doing now with Beatrice and her sudden focus on literature.

They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, so Charlotte and Chanel should be rather pleased.:whistling:

:previous: I have the exact same suspicion about what Dior is doing now with Beatrice and her sudden focus on literature.

They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, so Charlotte and Chanel should be rather pleased.:whistling:
I had the same thought. Furthermore Dior promotes the Tote Bag only.
Chanel does not promote any special item. Just a way of life. For me is more clever.
The funny think .. i wonder if a woman really fills her Dior tote with all these book... firstly if the bag will break... and then the woman will have lumbago.

:previous: I very much agree with you, Moby! Beatrice's English was quite easy to understand.
Having been fascinated with languages for decades I love the saying "in the brain of every monolingual, there’s a dormant polyglot—a genie—who, with some brisk mental friction, can be woken up."

"The Mystery of People Who Speak Dozens of Languages.
What can hyperpolyglots teach the rest of us?" https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018/09/03/the-mystery-of-people-who-speak-dozens-of-languages

Last edited:

I had this initial suspicion as well, and I think perhaps the general idea with literature and the tote is reminiscent of the Charlotte + Chanel project but it seems this is just one episode feautirng Beatrice and there are two others released prior, featuring Nine d'Urso and Rosamund Pike.

I think Charlotte's project is indeed more a way of life, as fandesacs2003 said. More cohesive in its focus on women philosophers and writers and ties nicely with the founder of the house.

Anyway, I, for one, am certainly not mad at these fashion houses focusing on books and literature. ;)

Good points. Princess Caroline and Prince Albert both speak English with accents and intonations, perfectly, Alberts is American. Of course their mother was American but their language skills were worked for, were prioritized by their parents with schools, summers, camps etc for that purpose.

Béatrice for sure is non a native English speaker and does not pretend to be. She is an Italian native raised in Italy with fully Italian parents and attended Italian schools and university. So it is absolutely normal that she has an italian accent. Full stop.

Nevertheless she did a master in USA and moves into international people so she should speak a lot of English, French also as she lives in a French speaking place and evaluates in a French speaking family. She communicates in Italian with Pierre and I believe with Caroline also. About the other members (Andrea+Tatiana, Charlotte, Alexandra) I doubt they are fluent in Italian, so French or English.
Furthermore having an accent it does not mean you don't master a language. Some people are capable to catch immediately an accent without having a deep language mastery. For me there are 2 different things.

Charlotte is completely fluent in Italian. Not only did she live in Italy for a time during her relationship with Lamberto Sanfelice, there is video of her shouting and yelling at paps who were pestering her-in perfect Italian.;)

Charlotte is completely fluent in Italian. Not only did she live in Italy for a time during her relationship with Lamberto Sanfelice, there is video of her shouting and yelling at paps who were pestering her-in perfect Italian.;)
Thanks i didn't know. So should be Andrea, as he is the one who had the longest life with his late father (6 years)

"The Prince and other stories", live with Beatrice Borromeo and Selvaggia Lucarelli

Their version of fluent and ours will be different. Their father died young and they weren't raised like their mother bilinguals. They grew up speaking French and were educated in French. They however obviously do speak Italian and English...perhaps even a bit of German. They would never say fluent however as people who are truly bilingual will even tell you at any one time one language is stronger than the other.

Their version of fluent and ours will be different. Their father died young and they weren't raised like their mother bilinguals. They grew up speaking French and were educated in French. They however obviously do speak Italian and English...perhaps even a bit of German. They would never say fluent however as people who are truly bilingual will even tell you at any one time one language is stronger than the other.
Agree. If they learned Italian, as a tribute to their late father, it was with a teacher as a foreign language. In fact their third one.
They have been totally raised in French language with as first foreign language English.
Pierre is fluent in Italian (although not bilingual) because he studied some years in Bocconi and he married an Italian.
Charlotte did many travels to Italy, she has been visiting her grandparents for sure but she did not spend considerable time there. Even the relation with San Felice was not long enough.
In fact, I believe that she understands well, but we don't know her real ability to speak the language. See Princess Charlene and her almost zero level of French.. after 12 years of marriage in Monaco.

:previous:

Beatrice's comment on the Hola "interview" on X, see here.

I’m very surprised to find out that apparently I gave an interview to Hola: can’t wait to read what I never told them as they have never interviewed me ?

:previous:
Another comment from Beatrice Borromeo clarifying this supposed interview:
Update on my (non) interview with @hola : looks like @ParisMatch sold an old interview on #thekingwhoneverwas without authorization (they didn’t even inform me) and Hola published it (also without informing me) with the misleading title “nos habla”!

Back
Top Bottom