The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-13-2010, 12:42 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

There was probably at some point alot of paperwork for Prince Wilhelm to do it.
They are both heirs to their respective thrones, paperwork to go out on a daily basis is needed. This is flying a helicopter.

Old 05-13-2010, 01:05 PM
Courtier

Didn't one of the posts above somewhere mention that William also has a 'normal' flying licence?
Or does 'fixed-wings' mean something else?

Old 05-13-2010, 01:49 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Those two posts above you mean?
Fixed wing is to fly aircraft such as an aeroplane.
But we aren't talking about any ordinary person flying a plane, there would be paperwork involved, probably each time depending on the destination, the course the plane/helicopter would day etc.

He may well choose to fly his own plane, i just don't see the point.
Old 05-13-2010, 03:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLV View Post
Didn't one of the posts above somewhere mention that William also has a 'normal' flying licence?
Or does 'fixed-wings' mean something else?
Yes, but William is only licensed to fly small planes. Doesn't Willem-Alexander fly large passenger planes? William could always do further training if he wanted to fly larger planes.
Old 05-13-2010, 03:30 PM
Courtier

I have no idea when a plane is called small or large or if you need separate licences.

Quote:
De Nederlandse regering heeft een Fokker 70 (F28-0070) voor het vervoer van de Koninklijke familie en regeringsfunctionarissen, zoals de Premier en andere ministers. Het toestel heeft de registratie PH-KBX; PH voor Nederland en KBX voor Koningin Beatrix. Het vliegtuig wordt gevlogen door geselecteerde vliegers van KLM Cityhopper en onderhouden door Martinair
Nederlands regeringstoestel - Wikipedia
Translation:
Dutch Government (And RF) has a Fokker 70 airplane and has two Rolls Royce engines.
Fokker 70 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
No idea if this is too large for prince William to fly, though.

@lumutqueen

I don't see the point in William going through all the paperwork now too.
But once Prince Charles is king, and Williams takes up more royal engagements and he enjoys flying (which is something that CP WA does), I can see him flying when travelling. Shouldn't make any difference in paperwork, if William or another pilot does the flying. There are always two of them anyway. :)
Air transports of heads of state and government - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
But if the British RF doesn't have their own airplane, like mentioned here on Wiki, I can understand this not happening.
Old 05-13-2010, 03:46 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

They have there own helicopter which is what he would presumably fly. When he goes on overseas tours, he will fly by actual plane.
The difference is that when his father ascends the throne, he will be the heir to the throne. Paperwork would have to be filled out for all kinds of things and as i said for each different event. Yes he enjoys flying, but can't he fly something less dangerous.
I don't see why he doesn't just sit back and relax being flown about.
Old 05-13-2010, 04:52 PM
Majesty

If Philip and Charles could and did do it there is no reason why William can't fly his own helicopter to events.
It is certainly safer than driving anywhere. Statistics show that way more people die in car accidents every year than ever die in air accidents.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumutqueen View Post
He may well choose to fly his own plane, i just don't see the point.
Wouldn't it save money as they wouldn't have to hire a pilot? Unless they use military personell as pilots then I suppose it wouldn't cost anything.
Old 05-14-2010, 12:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

A small plane would be a single engine, two passenger type of plane. The pictures you showed are what I would call large passenger planes, meaning they carry alot of people. They are basically the same as commercial flights. I do believe you need further training to fly one as they are more complex.
Old 05-14-2010, 07:37 PM
Majesty

Small planes can hold at least 4 people. I have a friend who had a small plane license and he was able to fly up to 10 or so people with that license. I have been in a plane with him with 6 other people (8 in total) and he only had the first level license. It is a bit like cars - up to a certain size is the basic license and then a new level of license is needed for larger planes and then for the big commercial jets but the basics are the same just the size of the vehicle and thus the manourvrability of the plane has to be learnt.
Old 05-15-2010, 07:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

I realize there are different types/sizes of small planes. I was just giving SLV an example of what I was referring to.
Old 05-15-2010, 07:54 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opal View Post
I realize there are different types/sizes of small planes. I was just giving SLV an example of what I was referring to.

You made a comment that small planes are one engine two seaters so I wanted to make it clear that small planes that can be flown on a basic pilot's license can be bigger than that - two engines and up to 10 seaters at least based on my personal experience.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:01 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I was at the National Railway Museum yesterday and when watching a video about the Royal Train I found out that the two carraiges that pull the train are named Princes William and Henry.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:44 PM
Aristocracy

I'm live in Texas, so I am not familiar with travel in the UK. I wanted to know about the Royal Train. Where do the royals use the royal train, and how long are their trips? I was wondering this because, in this article: Prince Charles gives a rare glimpse inside the Royal Train, there is a picture of a bed for staff accommodations. Are their trips so long that the staff need beds? Also, the chairs on the train do not look that comfortable for long trips. I was wondering if anyone had any more information on this.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:49 PM
Super Moderator

When the train is used, it's used because it doubles as a traveling hotel. Trips that don't require an overnight stay probably wouldn't be done using the Royal Train.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

I don't know about pilot licensing outside the U.S. Here, a pilot must be certified on EACH type of craft s/he wants to fly. There are also two separate types of small-craft licenses: a basic one to land and take off by sight and another to be able to do instrument landings. Lots of study, with a lot of math.
Old 09-11-2010, 02:40 AM
Nobility

There is not reason that William could't fly himself to an engagement. Prince Andrew does. Prince Charles has. Prince Phillip has.

A fixed wing license is for an airplance vs a rotary or helicopter license. I'm not sure how Williams military license would translate to civilian. Most countries have Private, Commercial and Air Transport. You need to have certain amounts of flying time for each license plus you need to pass written and practical exams. He would easily have enough experience to obtain a Commercial license. In Canada, you only need 200 hours of flying time. You don't need a license to fly a specific plane. If it is significantly different than the ones you are accustomed to flying, a plane owner may require a check ride before he will rent it to you. The pilot only needs to look at the manual to familiarize himself with take-off speed, allowable weight etc.

He wouldn't be able to fly his father anywhere, but they can't even be passengers on the same plane. The only paperwork he would need to fly himself would be a flightplan - no different than any other pilot.
Old 10-31-2010, 04:56 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Mr Royal Train sacked by new German bosses...after 30 years serving the Queen (and not stepping on her corgis!) | Mail Online

Quote:
The man dubbed Mr Royal Train after playing a key role in helping it to run smoothly for more than 30 years has been made redundant after a German company took over its maintenance.
Chris Hillyard, 53, was pictured many times helping the Queen on board, while a book about the train calls him ‘the glue holding it together’ – even revealing his efforts to avoid treading on corgis.
The Royal Train manager was even awarded the Royal Victorian Medal by the Queen
Old 04-18-2011, 09:14 AM
Aristocracy

Royal Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melania View Post
I'm live in Texas, so I am not familiar with travel in the UK. I wanted to know about the Royal Train. Where do the royals use the royal train, and how long are their trips? I was wondering this because, in this article: Prince Charles gives a rare glimpse inside the Royal Train, there is a picture of a bed for staff accommodations. Are their trips so long that the staff need beds? Also, the chairs on the train do not look that comfortable for long trips. I was wondering if anyone had any more information on this.
In fiscal year 2009-2010 the train made 19 journeys, with an average distance of 751 miles per journey. During these journeys a total of 20 nights were spent on the Royal Train

In fiscal year 2008-2009 the train made 14 journeys, with an average distance of 696 miles per journey. During these journeys a total of 19 nights were spent on the Royal Train

The royal train was built in 1977 for the Queen's Silver Jubilee. It was composed primarily of a cars from a planned passenger train. In 1997 when the royal household began taking more direct responsibility for their travel budget, a number of things were done to make the train cost less. Among them certain cars were withdrawn, and trips were only permitted by the Queen and Duke, or the Princess of Wales and the Duchess.

At a cost of roughly £1 million last year it is an expensive perk, but nowhere near as costly as the helicopter. While a minister will sometimes complain about the cost, it is not widely decried by the public. First of all it has been around for over 30 years, and many people enjoy it when the Queen arrives by royal train. The other reason is that it is perceived as useful to the aging monarch, because she has an office, can eat her meals on the train, and security personnel and medical equipment are easily carried. Often it is a one way trip, and they return by helicopter.

On a trip, the train pulls into a siding at a classified location so that the royals can sleep.

Photos were released to dispel any rumors that the train was luxurious. I think most people thought it looked like Queen Victoria's train. Instead it is more of a Hampton Inn on wheels.

While the Queen lists a helicopter trip of roughly 240 miles from Edinboro Scotland to Culloden Battlefield Center and the Glendoe hydroelectric power plant normally she does not like to fly long distances in the helicopter. Princess Anne is more likely to fly for days in the helicopter.

The Royal Train comprises nine coaches, including coaches for Household and railway staff, the Police, communications equipment and electricity supply. Five to eight of the coaches are used at any one time. It enables members of the Royal Family to carry out busy schedules over an extended period in a secure environment which minimises disruption and inconvenience to the public and provides accommodation and office facilities. The Train is available for use, on a recharging basis, by Government and for national interest purposes. However, its configuration is for overnight travel and it is not suitable for large scale travel
and entertaining.

A review of the future of the Royal Train seven years ago concluded that it should continue to be used as an integral part of Royal Travel but that the Household and Department for Transport should actively monitor costs to ensure it is run and maintained in the most cost effective manner possible. During the thirteen years of the Grant-in-aid, costs have been reduced (a 49% reduction in absolute terms) through a number of initiatives.

During the year members of the Royal Family made 52 journeys by scheduled rail with an average distance of 99 miles per journey.

During the last year members of the Royal Family made 46 journeys by scheduled rail with an average distance of 165 miles per journey.

Queen's Bedroom
Old 04-18-2011, 10:10 AM
Aristocracy

Royal Aircraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
I don't know about pilot licensing outside the U.S. Here, a pilot must be certified on EACH type of craft s/he wants to fly. There are also two separate types of small-craft licenses: a basic one to land and take off by sight and another to be able to do instrument landings. Lots of study, with a lot of math.
I think Prince William is licensed to fly a Bell Griffin helicopter for search and rescue missions.

The Royal Helicopter is a Sikorsky S76C++ which replaced the S76C+ which was retired after ten years.

By the time this lease expires, Sikorsky should have a commercial version of their X-2 helicopter which will travel at over 300 mph. That should put all of the UK within easy reach of the helicopter.

Right now, the royal family does not own a jet, and they lease charter aircraft for most longer domestic flights. Sometimes the military flies them.

The RAF squadron 32 in Northolt in London flies the royals 53 times in 2010 in an HS125, but was about twice as often five years ago. The military planes are over 25 years old, and are about to be retired. There is no plans to replace them. Without the military flights, the Royal Household will undoubtedly increase pressure to secure either a second helicopter or a small plane.

The largest military VIP jet, the BAE-146 is almost completely retired now, and only flew the royals 8 times last year.