The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-05-2007, 10:08 PM
Courtier

Thanks to everyone who posted pictures! The queen looked smashing! I love the springy colors on her!

Old 05-05-2007, 10:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Is the VIP box in Kentucky Derby always crowded like that?I think there were so many people stood around Her Majesty and most pictures did not see HM smiling at all like when she's at Ascot.

God save Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II
Old 05-05-2007, 11:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine
Why does everyone think she's being some snot and giving the Queen of England dirty looks? Does she have reason to? I've never read any stories about her acting like a bitch or a diva at big events like this.

That was my perception when I saw the photo series, which I have the right to conclude, Sister Morphine.

Someone mentioned whether or not Larry Birkhead was at the Derby. He was and here's the photo link Click Celebrities at the Downs and it's the 13th photo.
Old 05-06-2007, 01:02 AM
Royal Highness

Does anyone know if HM had a Mint Julip while she was there? Someone mentioned a newspaper article about a chef preparing lunch - did she eat at the track as well? I taped the derby but haven't gotten to see it yet (I know my horses didn't win!) - did HM get alot of airtime?

I love the photos with Susan Lucci and HM! The Queen of Daytime TV & The Queen of England! I'd pay $1 million to have tea with those two ladies! But to have OJ Simpson & Larry Birkhead in the same vincinity as those great ladies is EEEWWW!
Old 05-06-2007, 06:12 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine
Correction, Susan is wearing a white dress. But it doesn't look like she's even looking at the Queen. She looks like she's looking down and past her, which given their position....would be the track.

Why does everyone think she's being some snot and giving the Queen of England dirty looks? Does she have reason to? I've never read any stories about her acting like a bitch or a diva at big events like this. I think people are reading far too much into this.
You mean here La Lucci gives the Queen the evil eye ?
or you mean here La Lucci creepely moves into the center of the royal visitors and keeps giving the Queen a glacial look ?

Her presence and stare in that box, so close to a head of state, could be a multiple choice guess for anyone:
Was there a raffle and she won the seat after she bought all the tickets?
Was the event televised by the same tv station that broadcast her tv show, thus, giving the actress some prime seating spot?
On her noticeable staring at the Queen: Did Lucci tried to get attention into herself or did she got carried away with the botox and that's what she looks like nowadays in plain daylight?
She always reminds me of the character in the movie Soap Dish, with Sally Field

But enough of La Lucci, quite frankly I think she is an over rated tv actress, both in her soap opera and the forgetable movies she has made for tv. Back to the subject of the real stars of the show, the Queen and her husband prince Phillip, both seem to be enjoying the day at the most celebrated race this side of the world. She looks relaxed and quite stylish as always.
Old 05-06-2007, 06:19 AM
Heir Apparent

Queen Elizabeth II (3rd L) visits Churchill Downs before the start of the 133rd running of the Kentucky Derby at Churchill Downs in Louisville Kentucky 05 May 2007.

ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank
Old 05-06-2007, 06:53 AM
Royal Highness

Celebrity sightings start with the Queen
Monarch displays racing knowledge
"...The queen showed her racing knowledge in a brief conversation with Ferguson about the trophy. Ferguson noted that for decades, the open end of a horseshoe engraved on the trophy pointed downward. In 1999, the open end was turned upward "and she said, 'Well that keeps in the good luck,' " Ferguson said.
Race fans said the queen's presence added to the event's glamour. For at least one day, they were on the same footing with royalty..."

Queen's Derby Day Delights
May 6, 2006, Associated Press
"...Queen Elizabeth is certainly the most prestigious guest we've entertained in the modern-day history of the Kentucky Derby," track President Steve Sexton said...
Old 05-06-2007, 09:30 AM
Serene Highness

it was a very exciting race the horse that won came from 2nd to last to first in the last lengths and he's a well liked and respected jockey so the celebration was heart felt from the local track people. so many people were congratulating him it was hard to get to the winners circle.
i meant no disrespect to la lucci (i actually didn't see her until she was pointed out- i was noticing the buxom blond showing off her assets on the Queens left shoulder! :O )
i'm sure she's horrified by the awful photos of herself showing up all over the papers. she's a beautiful woman and looks very young for her true age and all the pics i'm seeing she looks gruesome, not a true representation of her beauty at all. the Queen however was flawlless!
btw looking over the "celebrities" that were there- yawn
cybil shepard looks good tho, haven't seen her in a long time.
a few tidbits from the Dallas morning news this morning
*security was very tight especially in the skye terrace and directors room where the Queen was watching.
*only a glimpse was seen by people when she was on the balcony for the 5th race
*Kentucky first lady gave her a music box that plays "My old kentucky home"
*the Queen was offered to present the trophy but her security wouldn't allow it.
*people dressed up and more hats were evident than usual
Old 05-06-2007, 02:17 PM
Aristocracy

I've noticed over the years that many celebrities try to go to The Kentucky Derby,no matter how out of their element they may be;it's a social coup to be invited into the celebrity enclosures.One of the television announcers interviewed actress Jenny McCarthy,who overdid it with the too-oversized hat and cleavage;she was trying too hard to look upper-class.
Susan Lucci wasn't glaring at the Queen(why should she?)but her face did look a little too frozen;was she trying to keep her cool and not gape open-mouthed,staring at the Royals? Or was it too much Botox?

I think Her Majesty and His Royal Highness were the only true celebrities there;everyone else just pales in comparrison.
Old 05-06-2007, 03:07 PM
Serene Highness

The Royalist - The Queen Fulfills A Lifelong Dream In Kentucky
has an amusing article and different photos. i think the couple in the lower left corner is linda bird johnson robb and her husband former gov and sen.. of VA charles robb. her father was president johnson, they are a very respected couple :) so there was some classy people around them.
i'm not sure Her majesty would like being called a celebrity, she is after all in a stratosphere all her own, i'm glad she enjoyed herself and my countrymen made me proud and didn't embarrass me (keeping my fingers crossed, trips not over lol) and showed the proper respect.
Old 05-06-2007, 03:58 PM
Gentry

I apologize in advance if this information has already been posted.

For American viewers: Monday's arrival ceremony will be aired on CSPAN starting at 10:50am. The State dinner will be shown at 7pm on CSPAN 3.

Also, last Thursday's ceremonies are being reaired on the CSPAN channels in addition to Her Majesty's last US state dinner with the first George Bush.
Old 05-06-2007, 04:12 PM

Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by misselle
Susan Lucci wasn't glaring at the Queen(why should she?)but her face did look a little too frozen;was she trying to keep her cool and not gape open-mouthed,staring at the Royals? Or was it too much Botox?
I think she was doing the evil eye, but I found it funny. I don't think ill of her for it. It was funny!
I think the people around the Queen and the Duke were there because they were wanted there, because no one is ever allowed near them unless they are wanted. I found it surprising to see Susan Lucci but I do not believe that she was able to be there for another reason. Susan Lucci is certainly no more than ten years (if that) younger than the Queen so it is conceivable they are friends. Susan Lucci looks very much younger than she truly is because of medical procedures, but I am sure that she is close to the Queen's age. Even the most "important" ("A-list") celebrities are not guaranteed a spot behind the Queen, so with her not even being "A-list" (I don't know how she rates, maybe I am wrong), but in any case, I think this indicates that they must be friends.
Old 05-06-2007, 07:14 PM

Well, I'm hoping this is going to work. Here are the links to some of the pictures I took on Thursday:

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/a...3/DSC_0017.jpg
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/a...3/DSC_0016.jpg
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/a...3/DSC_0012.jpg
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/a...3/DSC_0009.jpg
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/a...3/DSC_0008.jpg
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/a...3/DSC_0007.jpg

This is the first time I've tried to post pictures, so please let me know if I've done anything wrong.

Jennifer
Old 05-06-2007, 07:44 PM
Aristocracy

Very nice pictures Jennifer. Thank you.
Old 05-06-2007, 07:57 PM
Serene Highness

cool jennifer, in one the duke is waving right at you :)
i couldn't stand it -looked up la lucci, some bio's say born in 1946 other 1949 started on all my childen in 1969, and graduated from high school in 64. doing the math i'm thinking a very well preserved 60ish
Old 05-06-2007, 08:16 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Down the street. It's the third house on the right, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen H
Well, I'm hoping this is going to work. Here are the links to some of the pictures I took on Thursday:
Wonderful pictures. Thank you for sharing. It must have been neat to see them in person. If I only lived closer.

Live, Highlander. Grow stronger. Fight another day. Highlander: The Series

Old 05-06-2007, 09:05 PM
Aristocracy

Such great pics, Jennifer! Thanks! And yes, it looks as though the Duke was looking right at you!!

On another topic, a friend and I were wondering if the Queen will wear a tiara at the State Dinner on Monday? I thought not, but don't know if there's protocol.
Old 05-06-2007, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbb
cool jennifer, in one the duke is waving right at you :)
I know, this one is the best! How cool is that? Good job, Jennifer! Jennifer is trying to be TRF's own "Citizen journalist" like those people at Zermatt with Prince William and Kate Middleton.... ;-)
Old 05-06-2007, 09:25 PM
Aristocracy

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toledo
Like any TV soap opera diva, she can't stand being upstaged.

It looks that she, La Lucci, knows she is being on camera as long as she stays within the same frame as the Queen, so no doubt she is doing her look-at-what-I'm-doing antics just to get the tabloid ink spilling out next week. That look she gave Her Majesty behind her back seems to be quite tasteless. Thus, I agree, what are TV's daytime programing pseudo celebrities doing in the same box as the Queen?!?! If it was the President and his family La Lucci won't be that close. Sorry to be a little crude, but if TV divas are going to be near a Head of State in any televised event, they should be on their best behavior and hold on to that need to make faces behind the Head of State's back.
Sorry but, some needs to get their facts straight. For starters Susan is more than a daytime actress. Not only is she the Highest paid daytime actress. & has been called for decades now " The Queen of Daytime TV" Just because of her talent & Tue Professtionalism. & She is the only US Daytime actress that is known WorldWide. But, she is a mainstay at the Derby for Decades. She is always there & If I am not mistaken in that Box. & I am pretty sure that she was ok'd to be in that box with the Queen. And as for the statemen about her being in the same box with the President & His family. Once again Wrong .

She has been at funtions with the president & the 1st lady in attendence. Needles to say the President would bend over backwards to have a celeberty ( a well know & very popular celeberty) take a picture with him . & Knowing of Susan Personality 1st hand for Decades now. There is noway that making faces or whatever behing the queens back or anything. The Woamn has way too much Class for anything like that. We don't know what she was looking at if someone said something too her or whatever. Many many many have people had pictures taken that made them look pissed off or something when in fact that wasn't the case. Everyone just need to chill out. & Susan gets enougt publicity. Unlike other actors, Singers, Althelets, etc...... She never in her 40 Plus years in the business has every had anything nasty or bad to say about anyone & More important no one has every had a anything bad or nasty to say about her when meeting her or workign with her. Excuse, me I stand correct. Sarah Michelle Gellar Prinze. She left All My Children & said that she did not like working with Susan. But, then again when a teenager has to deal with a Real Professional who is always on top of their game. That could leave a bad taste in your mouth.

But, back on topic. Susan is not disrespting the queen in any way.

But, the queen did look nice though, but, I think that Bone or Ivory color shoes would have looked better.
Old 05-06-2007, 09:30 PM
Aristocracy

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio
I think she was doing the evil eye, but I found it funny. I don't think ill of her for it. It was funny!
Susan Lucci is certainly no more than ten years (if that) younger than the Queen so it is conceivable they are friends. Susan Lucci looks very much younger than she truly is because of medical procedures, but I am sure that she is close to the Queen's age. Even the most "important" ("A-list") celebrities are not guaranteed a spot behind the Queen, so with her not even being "A-list" (I don't know how she rates, maybe I am wrong), but in any case, I think this indicates that they must be friends.

This is what I am talking about. Susan Just turned 60 this year. She is no where nears as old as you are trying to make her. Facts people please Facts. But, I do have to admit. That was funny. Susan Lucci 70 years old looking like that. Doctors are good but not that good.

Tags
duke of edinburgh, elizabeth ii, president bush, prince philip, queen elizabeth ii, state visit, united states