Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh: State Visit to the USA - May 3-8, 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I apologize in advance if this information has already been posted.

For American viewers: Monday's arrival ceremony will be aired on CSPAN starting at 10:50am. The State dinner will be shown at 7pm on CSPAN 3.

Also, last Thursday's ceremonies are being reaired on the CSPAN channels in addition to Her Majesty's last US state dinner with the first George Bush.

Questions

misselle said:
Susan Lucci wasn't glaring at the Queen(why should she?)but her face did look a little too frozen;was she trying to keep her cool and not gape open-mouthed,staring at the Royals? Or was it too much Botox?:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
I think she was doing the evil eye, but I found it funny. I don't think ill of her for it. It was funny! :lol:
I think the people around the Queen and the Duke were there because they were wanted there, because no one is ever allowed near them unless they are wanted. I found it surprising to see Susan Lucci but I do not believe that she was able to be there for another reason. Susan Lucci is certainly no more than ten years (if that) younger than the Queen so it is conceivable they are friends. Susan Lucci looks very much younger than she truly is because of medical procedures, but I am sure that she is close to the Queen's age. Even the most "important" ("A-list") celebrities are not guaranteed a spot behind the Queen, so with her not even being "A-list" (I don't know how she rates, maybe I am wrong), but in any case, I think this indicates that they must be friends.

cool jennifer, in one the duke is waving right at you :)
i couldn't stand it -looked up la lucci, some bio's say born in 1946 other 1949 started on all my childen in 1969, and graduated from high school in 64. doing the math i'm thinking a very well preserved 60ish

Jen H said:
Well, I'm hoping this is going to work. Here are the links to some of the pictures I took on Thursday:

Wonderful pictures. Thank you for sharing. It must have been neat to see them in person. If I only lived closer.

Such great pics, Jennifer! Thanks! And yes, it looks as though the Duke was looking right at you!!

On another topic, a friend and I were wondering if the Queen will wear a tiara at the State Dinner on Monday? I thought not, but don't know if there's protocol.

bbb said:
cool jennifer, in one the duke is waving right at you :)

I know, this one is the best! How cool is that? Good job, Jennifer! Jennifer is trying to be TRF's own "Citizen journalist" like those people at Zermatt with Prince William and Kate Middleton.... ;-)

Toledo said:
Like any TV soap opera diva, she can't stand being upstaged. :rolleyes:

It looks that she, La Lucci, knows she is being on camera as long as she stays within the same frame as the Queen, so no doubt she is doing her look-at-what-I'm-doing antics just to get the tabloid ink spilling out next week. That look she gave Her Majesty behind her back seems to be quite tasteless. Thus, I agree, what are TV's daytime programing pseudo celebrities doing in the same box as the Queen?!?! If it was the President and his family La Lucci won't be that close. Sorry to be a little crude, but if TV divas are going to be near a Head of State in any televised event, they should be on their best behavior and hold on to that need to make faces behind the Head of State's back.

Sorry but, some needs to get their facts straight.;) For starters Susan is more than a daytime actress. Not only is she the Highest paid daytime actress. & has been called for decades now " The Queen of Daytime TV" Just because of her talent & Tue Professtionalism. & She is the only US Daytime actress that is known WorldWide. But, she is a mainstay at the Derby for Decades. She is always there & If I am not mistaken in that Box. & I am pretty sure that she was ok'd to be in that box with the Queen. And as for the statemen about her being in the same box with the President & His family. Once again Wrong:rolleyes: .

She has been at funtions with the president & the 1st lady in attendence. Needles to say the President would bend over backwards to have a celeberty ( a well know & very popular celeberty) take a picture with him:lol: . & Knowing of Susan Personality 1st hand for Decades now. There is noway that making faces or whatever behing the queens back or anything. The Woamn has way too much Class for anything like that. We don't know what she was looking at if someone said something too her or whatever. Many many many have people had pictures taken that made them look pissed off or something when in fact that wasn't the case. Everyone just need to chill out. & Susan gets enougt publicity. Unlike other actors, Singers, Althelets, etc...... She never in her 40 Plus years in the business has every had anything nasty or bad to say about anyone & More important no one has every had a anything bad or nasty to say about her when meeting her or workign with her. Excuse, me I stand correct. Sarah Michelle Gellar Prinze. She left All My Children & said that she did not like working with Susan. But, then again when a teenager has to deal with a Real Professional who is always on top of their game. That could leave a bad taste in your mouth.

But, back on topic. Susan is not disrespting the queen in any way.

But, the queen did look nice though, but, I think that Bone or Ivory color shoes would have looked better.

CasiraghiTrio said:
I think she was doing the evil eye, but I found it funny. I don't think ill of her for it. It was funny! :lol:
Susan Lucci is certainly no more than ten years (if that) younger than the Queen so it is conceivable they are friends. Susan Lucci looks very much younger than she truly is because of medical procedures, but I am sure that she is close to the Queen's age. Even the most "important" ("A-list") celebrities are not guaranteed a spot behind the Queen, so with her not even being "A-list" (I don't know how she rates, maybe I am wrong), but in any case, I think this indicates that they must be friends.
:bang:

This is what I am talking about. Susan Just turned 60 this year. She is no where nears as old as you are trying to make her. Facts people please Facts. :ROFLMAO: But, I do have to admit. That was funny. Susan Lucci 70 years old looking like that. Doctors are good but not that good.:lol:

Jen, you are very lucky to have seen Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip (he waved towards you, that's fantastic!) Thank you for sharing that great day and photos with all of us.

On another note, I'm looking forward to tomorrow night's gala dinner at the White House. :flowers:

Panther2000 said:
:bang:

This is what I am talking about. Susan Just turned 60 this year. She is no where nears as old as you are trying to make her. Facts people please Facts. :ROFLMAO: But, I do have to admit. That was funny. Susan Lucci 70 years old looking like that. Doctors are good but not that good.:lol:

Well, it's still close enough for her to be considered (roughly) in age group with the Queen. I figured that she was at least 60, though I thought a bit older. I don't think it's a big deal, honestly, and not really a sign of any intelligence to know her age. If I didn't research her precise age, it's because I don't care that much. But my brain is still quite good, thanks.

If may have already been posted but does anyone know when Queen Elizabeth and Prince Phillip going back to England.

jspate said:
If may have already been posted but does anyone know when Queen Elizabeth and Prince Phillip going back to England.
They will have several more engagements on Tuesday then HM will host a return Dinner for the President and Mrs. Bush and then they will fly back to England. I think will be pretty much late in the night.

I just watched Robin Roberts behind the scenes at the White House on "Good Morning America". The desert is decorated with roses, and is lovely. Robin will be interviewing the First Lady within the next hour.

Robin is also a guest for the State Dinner tonight, so hopefully we will get some good information from the inside, on "Good Morning America" tomarrow.

For a residence that is familiar with official state dinners, the queen's visit has certainly shaken things up- she's definately getting the "royal" treatment ;)

another lovely outfit and hat, love the color.
i've got Cspan on tv. i believe i read it would be live at 10:30 so it's 11:30 my time about 3 hours away. i'll give updates when it comes on. :)

CasiraghiTrio said:
Well, it's still close enough for her to be considered (roughly) in age group with the Queen. I figured that she was at least 60, though I thought a bit older. I don't think it's a big deal, honestly, and not really a sign of any intelligence to know her age. If I didn't research her precise age, it's because I don't care that much. But my brain is still quite good, thanks.

19 or 20 years is not in an age group. There is a big difference between 60 & 81 But, you are right it is not a big deal but, her age or the sillyness of the so called making faces behind the queens back.:cool:

Related Articles To: The Queen is coming! State dinner Monday for her majesty Queen Elizabeth II
has some interesting articles about the visit and dinner.
i haven't been able to find the menu or the guest list anywhere, i suppose it will be given out after the dinner!
i picked up there was going to be split pea soup with lavender and lamb but none of the other courses. it's on every channel this morning, bush is glad because it's just came out his approval rating has hit all time low of 28% so it's getting lost in the news headlines.

Fact Sheet: The State Visit in Honor of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II and His Royal Highness The Prince Philip Duke of Edinburgh
fact sheet from laura bush web site.
can't find the menu or guest list it must be released after the dinner.
i heard split pea soup with lavender, lamb and spring blossoms? for dessert

C-SPAN
here's a link maybe people out of the states can watch live
ITS ON

i think cnn.com will have parts of it , they keep cutting to live shots. it's a beautiful sunny day and there are 1,000 it looks like on the lawns (don't worry, very secure area)
they had a shot of a tree she gave on her last visit, it's big and beautiful, looks like some sort of the ceremony will be near it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited:
eventhough she looked great, i do wonder why her majesty would choose to wear black and white--since her clothing is usually more colorful
and what was that with president bush, "she gave me a look that only a mother would give a child" or something like that, and he winked at her at one point i think hehe. very interesting

Last edited:
Dinner will be covered live on Cspan tonight at 7
my impressions of the opening ceremony, i love anything history, throw in bands and pomp with hats wow
the elements were there but all and all a so-so show. it seemed very cold and rushed to me.
they got there and the queen had changed to black and white suit with a hat of course. laura didn't have a hat on, the duke was carrying what looked like a panama. when the cannons started to the 21 gun salute, scared me! then the UK national anthem came on and start singing (in my head) America the Beautiful, why are they playing that instead of the Star Spangled Banner (our anthem).....ding ding menopause moment God Save The Queen same music.
reading lips alot of people said "pleased to meet you" lol (shades of middletons)
reviewed the troops (basically a small circle around the yard), the military officer spoke once then used his hand for directions pretty cool. bush loped through this part, poor Queen(trying to keep up) who's done this more than once is trying to review them and he's walking like he's late to lunch (found that very annoying) laura and the duke seemed quite "chatty" seemed to be talking and laughing. i didn't see any natural personal interaction between the Queen and bush. the queen took out her glasses and speech from her purse (i'd love to know whatelse is in there)
Bush said we would always be proud to trace our roots to the UK (i totally agree with that hear hear) then he had to throw in some politics(grrrrrrrr) then he really embarrassed me- he says the Queen has met 10 US presidents- boy did she give him a look, everyone started laughing (she said something i couldn't understand) and he remarked "a look only a mother could do" or something like that. leave it to him to bring up a womans age.
The Queen gave a lovely gracious speech, mentioning more than once it was a good time to review and take stock, the sympolism of our shared values of equality, democracy and rule of law. i'm not sure but i got the message while our nations ties will always be strong, our leaders come and go and shouldn't always expect unblinking support. just my opinion but i got the feeling she'd slapped his wrist somehow. They had about a 30 second appearance on the balcony, again it was rush-rush-rush. there were alot of little girls there with flowers, some were crying in disappointment awwwww. why he didn't step back and let the Queen set the pace to interact with people i don't understand... can't go there.

Elise27 said:
eventhough she looked great, i do wonder why her majesty would choose to wear black and white--since her clothing is usually more colorful
and what was that with president bush, "she gave me a look that only a mother would give a child" or something like that, and he winked at her at one point i think hehe. very interesting
To me, Elise, i felt really amazed with the colour HM chose this time for the visit to the President. She has been in bright colours in the last few days and we have not been seeing her in black and white for a while, so with this colour this time bring more formal and seriousness look for Her Majesty.

I love the Washington arrival out fit, what a great color! The Royals hardly ever visit the West Coast. I think Charles did once, a long time ago If I am ever going to get to see a member of the BRF, it will have to be on a trip to London! Very cool for those of you that got to see them live!

I just think that her Majesty is wonderful. She has looked so very relaxed throughout this whole tour and her wardrobe has been gorgeous. I have loved all the photos and thank you all for posting them with such promptness. It has all been most exciting.

yes it does bring a more formal and serious look. I have to say the queen has looked fabulous throughout the entire visit, and the american media seems very interested in her clothes and hat. I also noticed the different purse today--smaller than usual i think.
Anyway- i have to say hats-off to the queen's speech writers. I like the way she so diplomatically touches on controversial issues as in the speech at the virginia capitol. I also have to say that despite the british media coverage of the controversy over slavery and native americans, there was not a lot of mention about that in the american media that I saw. Her majesty gave a wonderful speech acknowledging the issue and praising diversity will not touching in the controversy directly. i was very impressed.
Regarding today's speech, i dont think it was not necessarily intended as a slap on the wrist but it certainly sounded a bit like HM was telling Bush dont always take our support for granted, (i will look at the speech again)
whereas he was talking about how the US can always count on GB. In any case i was not impressed by bush's familiarity---the wink and the she looked at my like a mother-- at the risk of getting controversial I dont like it because she is after all the head of state of the UK, it wasnt the appropriate venue for him to say that given that this was the american head of state welcoming the head of state of another country. I dont think he would have said the same thing regarding a male counterpart. I dont think that that comment settled to well with the queen herself either, the crowd laughed, she just smiled politely.
I also wanted to mention that it was nice to watch the cspan footage of the walkabout outside the virginia capital, the queen was very smiley and relaxed, and at one point the governor was going in one direction but she specifically went the other way to take some flowers some children had for her. and then she was very relaxed when they went inside and were chatting with the kids. It was nice because u often get the image of the queen being so serious but she was very nice and seemed touched by the number of people that had showed up.

Last edited:
The Queen looks amazing and I have to say that Mrs Bush does too.

Its an honor to have her Majesty over here. This has been the most interesting royal visit that we had in awhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom