State Visit from the President of South Korea: November 21 - 23, 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No order exchange?
Obviously the King did receive a korean order! But, unlike when it comes to norwegian state visits, you cannot watch the exchange in Britain. Besides, there are countrys, like your own one (highest order in the US is actually a medal, the medal of freedom and doesn´t go along with a sash, for instance), who do not give out orders of merit to foreign dignataries. In that case, countries with an order system, like virtually all monarchis, but also countries like Iceland, Portugal, Germany, Finnland, Italy, Greece etc. use to have their head of state use their very own highest order of chivalry or merit for a state banquet, especially with an incoming state visit. If it is an outgoing state visit, the state guest very often adapts these days to the habits of the host country and also would not wear any orders.

Last edited:
Sophie is wearing the coronation dress but no new tiara.

The First Lady is so beautiful and elegant.

The Duchess of Gloucester is wearing the rarely seen Gloucester diamond emerald Bandeau.

Only Charles III is wearing the Korean order

Only Charles III is wearing the Korean order

Which means that Camilla did not receive any Korean order. Likewise, Charles III seems to have kept his mother's tradition of not decorating foreign First Ladies. Unfortunately, he will probably do the same with foreign Queens Consort.

It is a pity really that the UK will not take advantage of the change of reign to change its practice regarding the awarding of orders by diplomatic courtesy.

State Banquet at Buckingham Palace

So the President of the Republic of Korea received the Order of the Bath, which seems to be the default now for visiting presidents of republics.

As I imagined, no order for the President's wife, which means no foreign order for Queen Camilla either.

EDIT: That was one of the King's best state visit speeches. He really said what Koreans like to hear about themselves, which shows diplomatic skill and cultural sensitivity.

Last edited:
Any picture of Anne?

I can' find one now but saw one before - she is in her festoon diamond tiara.

You can see her in the video of the royals and president & senior gusts walking in procession.

Interesting to note as Edward wasn't there Sophie is behind even the Duke of Gloucester.

Last edited:

You can see her in the video of the royals and president & senior gusts walking in procession.

Interesting to note as Edward wasn't there Sophie is behind even the Duke of Gloucester.

Edward is Down Under.

The South Korean First Lady is very pretty! I googled her... - and I can not believe, she is already 51!

What a pitty, that she was the whole day so underwhelmingly dressed!

And did I see the girls from Blackpink, the K-Pop stars, in the pictures too? They are very cool ambassadors for their country!

She looks suddelny rather old and not her best. I was a bit scared when i first saw the pic of her.
I think she stopped dyeing her hair and the grey coming through changes her appearance.

I believe he is in Australia now.

Day 2 today, November 22.

The Duchess of Edinburgh accompanied the President and First Lady of South Korea to a round table discussion on science and advancement.

** gettyimages gallery ** dm article **

King Charles joined by the President and First Lady welcomed Blackpink to Buckingham Palace, as they were awarded Honorary MBEs:

Last edited:
Who is the lady accompanying Prince William into the banquet in the procession?

Edward's presenting Duke of Edinburgh awards in Australia. I suppose Sophie gets relegated because she's not a princess of the blood.

The formal farewell ceremony took place at Buckingham Palace today, November 23:

** gettyimages gallery **

Last edited:
The South Korean First Lady is very pretty! I googled her... - and I can not believe, she is already 51!

What a pitty, that she was the whole day so underwhelmingly dressed!

And did I see the girls from Blackpink, the K-Pop stars, in the pictures too? They are very cool ambassadors for their country!
What..? First I thought she was the president`s daughter, then I thought there was a huge age gap...!

The Duchess of Gloucester looked pretty frail when stepping out of that limousine...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom