Royal Maundy Service: 2023 - present

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not sure if it's just me but the link in the old closed thread is not working and just leads to the same closed thread.

Not sure if it's just me but the link in the old closed thread is not working and just leads to the same closed thread.

I have just tried the link and it also took me to the same closed thread.

Great that the queen is stepping in on behalf of the King for this annual tradition.

Has a previous Queen Consort ever attended a Royal Maundy Service without her husband The King?

Has a previous Queen Consort ever attended a Royal Maundy Service without her husband The King?
She's only been queen since Sept 2022!
This will only be her second Maundy Service as Queen Consort.

I'm not sure about other queens in the past.
Its quite possible they have.

Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother represented QEII in 1960 and 1970…

In the pre-QEII years, the King and Queen was not present every year

The Maundy Thursday Service was cancelled in 2020 and 2021 during the Covid Pandemic
,in 2022 it resumed but the Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall stood in for Queen Elizabeth II.
Queen Elizabeth II also missed the following Maundy Thursday Services

I love this occasion. The spring posies are very pretty and the presentation of the maundy money is a nice tradition. Worcester used to be my home city so I’m sad I wasn’t able to be there to witness this.
Whilst I respect the right to protest, I find it sad that supporters of Republic were out in force at this event, particularly given the current situation with the King. I guess I’m just old fashioned in hoping they might refrain from being so vocal at a church service.

...Whilst I respect the right to protest, I find it sad that supporters of Republic were out in force at this event, particularly given the current situation with the King...
I agree, but it didn't seem like there were that many, rather, they just chose to make themselves appear as large as possible with massive banners and tremendous din. I suspect the Republican movement is feeling rather frustrated after getting a bit of momentum with the change of thrones, KCIII has been pretty flawless, QC is doing a most tremendous job steadying the ship, and there is so much sympathy towards the King and the PoW's. If I were them, I would remain low for the time being, as their outsized protesting looks incredibly garish.

There aren't that many of them: they just make a lot of noise. They've said that they wish the King and Catherine all the best and that they're protesting against the institution, not the individuals, blah-di-blah-di-blah, but I think it still looks like bad form to be protesting under the circumstances. And I always wonder why these people never seem to have anything else to do on a working day!

I like the various flowers of Queen Camilla's Nosegay bouquet.

Republic here are very wide of the mark.

Let’s put this into some sort of context. The spouse of a head of state attends a religious service during a faith’s most holy season. During which citizens are recognised for trying to follow the good example of that religion’s founder.

Why would anyone, anywhere in the world, demonstrate against the constitutional arrangements of their state in such a way, at such a time & in such a place?

Where next? At a funeral?

Back
Top Bottom