Queen Sonja's Fashion and Style Part 1: April 2004 - March 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Only the colour is nice. The sleeves look terrible.

The Norwegians should take up a collection to allow Queen Sonja to buy some new gowns. She has been wearing the same ones for 20 years, they have been recycled enough no matter how nice they may be. Time to pass them on to a charity shop and let someone else wear them.

Apparently there was a certain nostalgic choice in this gown: I read on another forum that Sonja wore it for her first state visit to Denmark as queen of Norway back in 1991. Kudos to her at least that it still fits, but I still don't care for it.

Last edited:
The sleeves look like drapery jabots! Just cut 'em off to make sleeves that look like they are part of THIS century's fashion! I DO like the color of the satin.

Another Snow Queen apparition. Very beautiful and I love the lace top and sleeves.

Last edited:
She looks beautiful.I love the details of the sleeves.Snow Queen indeed.

Yes, queen Sonja looks really splendid. Beautiful white dress with the magnificient Norwegian emeralds.

Although I DO like the white evening gown, some of the fullness of the skirt should be taken out, therefore modernizing the cut from the 1990's to the 2010's. Whoever is remaking CP Mary's dresses shoul lend Queen Sonja a hand-

Although she certainly looks good in the white gown, the wide skirt is simply a tad too long... and the dress, seen on countless occasions before, is more than twenty years old.
There should be a certain expiration date for dresses, and just like wearing the infamous salmon dress for the Swedish CP wedding, this is another case of Queen Sonja repeating a dress infinitely until the question arises when it becomes rather impolite to 'honor' the hosts' special occasion with the sight of an outfit which by now they have all seen before.

Although she certainly looks good in the white gown, the wide skirt is simply a tad too long... and the dress, seen on countless occasions before, is more than twenty years old.
There should be a certain expiration date for dresses, and just like wearing the infamous salmon dress for the Swedish CP wedding, this is another case of Queen Sonja repeating a dress infinitely until the question arises when it becomes rather impolite to 'honor' the hosts' special occasion with the sight of an outfit which by now they have all seen before.

Well said Boris, I couldn't agree more. Even if something is remade at least effort would be put into gala fashion and made the hostess feel as if their event was important. Either way, 10 years it's time to retire a garment, IMO.

I believe this same dress was also worn by Queen Sonja for the last Silver Jubilee of Queen Margrethe in 1997.

Certainly, other options could honour the Danish Queen in a better way.

Also Queen Sonja carried a somewhat heavy image last night. Though the gown was white, we had the red sash of the Order of St. Olav (with narrow white and blue stripes), plus the golden collar of the Order of the Elephant and the big diamond & emeradl brooch attached to it.

Too much information: white, red, yellow, green - less, less harmonious combination of colours, IMHO.

January 15th
white dress

She looks beautiful!

She does. In this picture she certainly looks every inch a Queen. White looks great on her and I love the emerald parure with it. A closer look at the dress makes it of course clear that its design is a little outdated, but nevertheless Sonja looked fine all in all.

White gala dress is very pretty.
Regarding the over recycling issue; she should have it remade into a new dress. For example have the skirt shortened and make the sleeves short then she could wear it as a day outfit.

Queen Sonja looked beautiful at the gala in Denmark in the white gown with her tiara she looked majestic.

I like the upper part but not the skirt.

Queen Sonja at the opening of the Jubilee Exhibition 'Royal journeys 1905 - 2005' in Oslo yesterday,
wearing a strong coloured ladies' suit - looks good on her!

** Full view ** Upper part ** Upper part 2 **

Queen Sonja wore a very bright ensemble for the welcoming ceremony of the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall on the first day of their official visit to Norway. The pink coat was teamed with a matching pink hat, black shoes and Chanel bag.
Interesting to note how the two ladies - Sonja and Camilla - chose such drastically different outfits. :)

Beautiful suit!
Both the Queen and Camilla looked lovely in fuchsia and purple respectively.

Last edited:
Queen Sonja wore a very bright ensemble for the welcoming ceremony of the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall on the first day of their official visit to Norway. The pink coat was teamed with a matching pink hat, black shoes and Chanel bag.
Interesting to note how the two ladies - Sonja and Camilla - chose such drastically different outfits. :)

The only thing I did not care for here was the hat!
Beautiful suit!
Both the Queen and Camilla looked lovely in fuchsia and purple respectively.
That is how to do pink and purple!:cool:
Did you notice the last 2 times Camilla has worn purple, the Queen, (Norway, England) has worn pink!
Good thinking, ladies! :D:ROFLMAO:
Edit: After seeing the 2nd pic ( I thought it was a pic I had already seen, I love Queen S. in the raspberry colored suit- no hat, yay! Gorgeous hair!!

Last edited:
I love the raspberry suit on Queen Sonja, especially the fabric and piping detail. And honestly, could her hair get ANY prettier???? love it!

She looks fantastic. I like this different look a lot.

Beautiful fuchsia day outfit on Sonja and I love the coordination with Camilla's outfit. I liked the piping and the flower, but just didn't care for the large heavy necklace that didn't look good with the neckline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom