Princess Ingrid Alexandra News and Current Events Part 1: January 2022 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
She is talking to her superior that asks how they are coping with the cold and that they have several layers. He asks her if she regrets choosing this batallion (strange question) and she says she certainly does not so far. He then says they look forward to finding the princess her service position. He calls her princess even if it has been said she will go by Recruit Alexandra, and not use her title like her father did.
She seemed unusually shy but after beeing there five or six, days why not, pluss she must be aware she brings other people who are not used to be on Tv on the national news tonight.

The chief of the batallion has said that there is great public interest and that they are not used to such media preassure, but cooperate with the palace and the communications team in the Army, the security is handled by the police.

https://www.forsvaretsforum.no/fors...-ingrid-alexandras-forstegangstjeneste/359573

While I don't speak Norwegian I also heard him refer to her as 'princess', which I was a bit surprised about. Hopefully, they are able to treat her as a 'normal' recruit as much as possible (it seemed that worked out well for Elisabeth).

While I don't speak Norwegian I also heard him refer to her as 'princess', which I was a bit surprised about. Hopefully, they are able to treat her as a 'normal' recruit as much as possible (it seemed that worked out well for Elisabeth).
That is not unusual in Norway. No matter journalist or military man/ woman, you always refer to Royalty in third party talking to it.

She doesn't look that enthusiastic about it. Although probably she is just hoping the cameras are gone quickly so that she can get started with her new life.

Well, she has the lowest rank as a beginner and discipline is important.
they just show parts of the video. did you see that Ingrid holds the rifle muzzle upwards? A bad fault, though typical for beginners, but she was surely told not to repeat this a second time. Good for her to keep a low style and modest behaviour, after all its a load of new impressions for a young person if noble or not.
In a few weeks she is likely to feel much more comfortable.

Isn’t it odd that she’s going by “Alexandra” when she went by “Høiby” in high school?

Isn’t it odd that she’s going by “Alexandra” when she went by “Høiby” in high school?

I figured that all recruits would go by their first name, which is why she uses Alexandra. At school Hoiby was not to replace her first name but her last name.

I figured that all recruits would go by their first name, which is why she uses Alexandra. At school Hoiby was not to replace her first name but her last name.

In that case why not just use Ingrid, which is what she goes by?

Also, it’s been said that all the other recruits are being addressed by last name, as militaries tend to do.

In that case why not just use Ingrid, which is what she goes by?

Also, it’s been said that all the other recruits are being addressed by last name, as militaries tend to do.

If everyone else uses their last name, it's indeed a bit strange for her to use one of her first names. Maybe they require her to use a name that she officially has? In that case Hoiby would be excluded. At least Alexandra is part of her real name.

Some information about military conscription in Norway.

Last edited:
If everyone else uses their last name, it's indeed a bit strange for her to use one of her first names. Maybe they require her to use a name that she officially has? In that case Hoiby would be excluded. At least Alexandra is part of her real name.

Some information about military conscription in Norway.

If Ingrid Alexandra has a "real" name Hoiby would be part of it,
as Norwegians (can) carry both their mother's and their father's last name ;)
It's indeed quite easy to find relations by lastnames in Norway,
you either know the mother's family branch or the father's, quite useful in a country of only 5 million people, there is always somebody you know from the other person's roots and very often its family :D

If Ingrid Alexandra has a "real" name Hoiby would be part of it,
as Norwegians (can) carry both their mother's and their father's last name ;)

Royal experts have written that the titled members of the royal family have been entered into the population register with no surname, with the exception of Princesses Ragnhild and Astrid, who were registered under their husbands' surnames once married.

I recall that Crown Prince Haakon mentioned using his second forename (Magnus) as a "surname" when shopping online. His sister used the family name of the royal house, Glücksburg, when she was a student.

Royal experts have written that the titled members of the royal family have been entered into the population register with no surname, with the exception of Princesses Ragnhild and Astrid, who were registered under their husbands' surnames once married.

I recall that Crown Prince Haakon mentioned using his second forename (Magnus) as a "surname" when shopping online. His sister used the family name of the royal house, Glücksburg, when she was a student.

Generally school registrations tend to be a highly legal matter, so it remains a bit strange IA would be allowed to opt for Høiby in those circumstances and then have to go by her second forename in the military.

Is there some record of how her single-named grandpa and great-grandfather were addressed while serving?

Generally school registrations tend to be a highly legal matter, so it remains a bit strange IA would be allowed to opt for Høiby in those circumstances and then have to go by her second forename in the military.

Was she registered as Høiby at school? I thought it was only for her russ uniform that she used Høiby.

Was she registered as Høiby at school? I thought it was only for her russ uniform that she used Høiby.

I don’t think students with surnames are allowed to put whatever they want on the uniform, so I’m not sure why there would be an exception for IA as opposed to ‘sorry, you need to use HKH Prinsessen’.

If the school was willing to allow her to use it, I’m not sure why the military would be different, as we have already seen her publicly using a surname to which she is legally entitled. It’s not like she is trying to enlist under a false identity.

Yes only on her russ uniform, and there you can put whatever you want, first name, last name, the call-name you get by your friends, no name at all. Here is Haakon with his Russ-cap where it says Måka (Seagull) Apparantly because he walked like one, he still does a litle bit.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/43888226@N08/4681353849

That she used Høiby on her Russ uniform was probably just to blend in, its not an uncommon name (474 people in Norway).

In the military they use the family name for everyone, she does not have one, and then they have landed on her second name of the two she has.

The court has said she wants to be treated like everyone else in the military, and how fun is it if the superiors scream Princess at you if you are lagging behind....

I would not be supprised if when she becomes Crown Princess or even Queen, it is just Crown Princess Ingrid/Queen Ingrid, and the Alexandra is handled like Magnus is for Haakon now, only used for weddings and funerals:cool:

To mark her 20th birthday today, January 21, the Palace has shared a photo and a video of Ingrid Alexandra at the engineer battalion in the Skjold camp in Indre Troms:

** Pic ** instagram post ** instagram video **

Back
Top Bottom