Princess Ingrid Alexandra News and Current Events Part 1: January 2022 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Exciting information on her next plans. It seems she enjoyed her visits to the military branches, of course actually being in a unit is different. Good luck to Ingrid Alexandra

I also thought she would choose the navy or airforce, but as an avid skiier I can understand her choice in Troms

The engineer battalion is the Army's largest department, and one of those with the widest professional fields. The engineer battalion works closely with all the Army's departments, and this cooperation is important. The engineer battalion can provide breakthroughs in minefields, blowing up bridges, building bridges, underwater work with engineer divers, moving vehicles over water and preventing the enemy from advancing. The personnel in the department must be able to drive the largest combat vehicles in the Army or use advanced equipment to break through minefields. Some can walk far with a heavy pack and some can build and operate improvised ferry connections. Engineer battalion personnel build camps abroad, establish protective measures for the brigade in the field or analyze samples of chemical and radiological materials to ensure survival in the battlefield. Regardless, all must be good soldiers capable of using most of the weapon systems the Army uses

Last edited:
What will Ingrid-Alexandra do as a school assistant and environmental worker? I noticed she'll take this post at Uranienborg her former school. Does the school have different levels? Because it might be a bit weird to suddenly be an assistant to fellow students only one or a few years below your year - even more so when you are their future queen.

Last edited:
What will Ingrid-Alexandra do as a school assistant and environmental worker? I noticed she'll take this post at Uranienborg her former school. Does the school have different levels? Because it might be a bit weird to suddenly be an assistant to fellow students only one or a few years below your year - even more so when you are their future queen.

Norway likes to pride itself on being egalitarian, so they'll probably just shrug and say "Hej, Ingrid".

I don't know what she'll do, but Ingrid herself must have a reason for wanting to go back. Considering she's massively popular with an impeccable reputation, she could probably do anything legal (like work on her surfing) for a three-month span and no one would find fault with it.

The school is 1-10 at the eldest the kids are 3 years younger then her. I don't know what she will be doing, but here school assistants tend to help with younger. Not sure if Norway is the same.

She will be the highest military rank when she becomes queen (like a few heirs). Even if there wasn't conscription in Norway, it would be good for her to have this training and understanding. I am a bit surprised she didn't go navy like dad but maybe that is part of it. Or just drawn to the army work up in Trom. She visited them last fall.

Makes sense IMO for the heirs to do their military training before they go on to college. Elisabeth and now Leonor and Ingrid are all doing as their dads did, doing service first before focusing on college.

:previous: I totally agree with you. The military teach people how to live and work with people from all walks of life and show that contrary to popular perception, they do not turn out mindless drones but rather people who can improvise, adapt and overcome. They are usually more interested in how their fellow squad members work with them to achieve stated goals than in their politics, religion or colour.

Come the crunch you will find that military or ex-military are busy organising people and resources rather than wittering on about abstract goals that are just plain logistically impossible which is often what we see from our elected leaders.

The ability to be a people pleaser has been drilled into royal heirs because they owe their future to their people. But I am persuaded that their people would respect a young royal that can both take and give orders and is willing to get their hands dirty. Princess Victoria and Prince Frederik come to mind as a previous generation of confident and able leaders.

It is interesting to see that many royal families are of the opinion that that since military training gave them a degree of self-discipline and self-control and self-confidence that many of their fellow university students did not have, believe it can do the same for their own children.

Its like beeing an extra pair of hands for the teacher. You do not have responsibility for the education, but help out in the clasroom and on outdoors activity, sports etc. There will also be kids with special needs who might need help with practical things, or other kids who have the right or need for some extra help/attention.

New announcement on the future of Princess Ingrid Alexandra.

Her Royal Highness Princess Ingrid Alexandra will this autumn work at Uranienborg School as a school assistant and environmental worker. In 2024, the princess will serve 12 months of initial service at the Engineer Battalion in Brigade Nord.

In January, Princess Ingrid Alexandra goes to Skjold camp in Indre Troms, home base for the 2nd Battalion and the Engineer Battalion. After the recruitment period, the Princess is assigned a service position, and completes a professional period with more specific education followed by a departmental period of training and practice.

https://www.kongehuset.no/artikkel.html?tid=220174&sek=112472

The recent TRF discussion about the Spanish crown princess following the same program of military education as her father led me to wonder, why is Princess Ingrid Alexandra's planned military service seemingly shorter than her father's? Back then and now, compulsory military service lasts for a period of one year, but unlike Princess Ingrid Alexandra, Crown Prince Haakon voluntarily completed naval recruit training and the full three years of naval officer training before he served out his one year of compulsory service. Is there an explanation for the difference?

Last edited:
The recent TRF discussion about the Spanish crown princess following the same program of military education as her father led me to wonder, why is Princess Ingrid Alexandra's planned military service seemingly shorter than her father's? Back then and now, compulsory military service lasts for a period of one year, but unlike Princess Ingrid Alexandra, Prince Haakon voluntarily completed naval recruit training and the full three years of naval officer training before he served out his one year of compulsory service. Is there an explanation for the difference?

Ingrid was notably tight-lipped and cagey about when and whether she was going to serve in the military before the official announcement came, so I surmise that despite being energetic and patriotic, she wants to get her compulsory duty out of the way and go to university and other things.

Her father is a much more malleable personality, especially at the same age, and probably did whatever he was told, with military taking precedence over higher education as traditional. Just a guess.

IIRC Haakon has said something like military isn't compulsory for IA. It has been clear from the family that IA doesn't need to follow her father's path.

And they have said nothing about the planning after this, maybe IA found she loves military life during this one year of serving, who knows.

Her father is a much more malleable personality, especially at the same age, and probably did whatever he was told, with military taking precedence over higher education as traditional. Just a guess.

Haakon said in his 50th interview that he had serious struggles with the military and had many discussions with his father before he decided to join.

From aftenposten
Almost 30 years ago, he was the one who was completely new. He arrived a little later than the others to the aspirant course at Madla and had not attended the session.

They had already learned how to salute and march. He didn't know the difference between a fenrik and a quartermaster and has amble walk. But he didn't want to stick out.

He remembers one of his fellow soldiers asking: “Why are you trying so hard? You don't need that, do you?”

- But for me it was completely the other way around. I just needed to do that. I had to show that I deserved my place, says Crown Prince Haakon.

From NRK
In his inner conflict about conscription, it was the person Haakon - who was on the borderline of a pacifist - who met the heir to the throne, who, in his capacity as monarch, will one day become commander-in-chief of the Armed Forces. He nevertheless chose command school after high school, before three years of education at the Naval Academy. The first proper choice he made based on tradition and the monarchy he was a part of, and what role he will one day enter, he later told.

Ingrid has not said anything about her education after her year in the military, and that seems to be a concious choice. Both the King and Crown Prince has said she can make her own decisions.

Thank you, Annine.

In regards to Crown Prince Haakon's interview, I've posted a reply to this thread:
https://www.theroyalforums.com/foru...d-pictures-2003-2023-a-544-6.html#post2566978

Quoting the NRK interview:

In his inner conflict about conscription, it was the person Haakon - who was on the borderline of a pacifist - who met the heir to the throne, who, in his capacity as monarch, will one day become commander-in-chief of the Armed Forces. He nevertheless chose command school after high school, before three years of education at the Naval Academy. The first proper choice he made based on tradition and the monarchy he was a part of, and what role he will one day enter, he later told.

But those two reasons are relevant to Princess Ingrid Alexandra as well: The monarch remains the commander-in-chief of the armed forces, and due to Crown Prince Haakon's choice, the tradition persists. So do father and daughter have different perspectives on whether being commander-in-chief requires an officer's education?

I have not read anyone writing she must have it. Actually her father said she did not need to join the military at all, execept for attending the session. Yes the royals are commanders in chief, a symbolic role, they are not making any decisions.

In the negihbouring countries neither Queen Margrethe or CP Victoria has completed any ordinary military education. There are also other possibilities for education in the military like Forsvarets høyskole, (the deffence education school). They have f.eks a a very highly thought of chief course that is taken by many civil leaders in the public sector, but usually not until they have some work experience.

So far she has only said what she will do for the next year and a half, we do not know what other education she will take after that, but I do not belive in Norway people thinks she must be a copy of her father. There are other important parts of society also, like the diplomacy.

If everyone should be a copy of their parents that would leave som very big shoes for prince Christian if he also should do the navy seal education just because his father did it…

In the negihbouring countries neither Queen Margrethe or CP Victoria has completed any ordinary military education. There are also other possibilities for education in the military like Forsvarets høyskole, (the deffence education school). They have f.eks a a very highly thought of chief course that is taken by many civil leaders in the public sector, but usually not until they have some work experience.

You're right. Crown Princess Victoria is regularly continuing what seems to be a tailor-made education in all branches of the armed forces and will most likely assume the position her father now holds as the Most Senior Representative of the Swedish Armed Forces together with the ranks of general and admiral when she ascends the throne. Although in another country it shows that a monarch can hold the highest role in the armed forces without officially joining the military.

I have not read anyone writing she must have it. Actually her father said she did not need to join the military at all, execept for attending the session. Yes the royals are commanders in chief, a symbolic role, they are not making any decisions.

So far she has only said what she will do for the next year and a half, we do not know what other education she will take after that, but I do not belive in Norway people thinks she must be a copy of her father. There are other important parts of society also, like the diplomacy.

If everyone should be a copy of their parents that would leave som very big shoes for prince Christian if he also should do the navy seal education just because his father did it…

However, in the case of Margrethe II of Denmark and Victoria of Sweden, they would have been expected to complete officer training had they been male, as we can deduce from the male members of those royal families. So, is it because Princess Ingrid Alexandra is a woman that officer training is seen as optional by the royal family and the public? Or would it be the same for Prince Sverre Magnus if he were the heir of his generation?

On a related note, are all of those selected for compulsory military service at the session effectively volunteers? Or are there some who are drafted against their will?

It seems to me it is only in Spain there is only one way to educate the heir, the other have more choice thankfully.

On a related note, are all of those selected for compulsory military service at the session effectively volunteers? Or are there some who are drafted against their will?
Now that women since 2015 are also called to session the military has more to choose from, so I guess they can choose amongst those who are atleast a bit motivated to do it, and dont have to force anyone. I know many who have wanted to serve, who has not gotten a place for different reasons.

The length of the compulsory service is determined each year by the Storting in connection with the processing of the national budget. The total length of service set by the Storting has long been 19 months. The length of the initial service may vary.

Currently, conscripts are called up for twelve months of initial service. During the last seven months of the service obligation, the Norwegian Armed Forces can call conscripts to repeat service or exercise in the Home Guard.

The armed forces' need for conscripts on initial service is in the order of 8,000 people. The number has normally been distributed between around 1,000 women and 7,000 men (Ministry of Defence). This is around a third of the total number of people fit for duty in each cohort. Those who are not called up are still conscripts

In war or when war threatens, the King (Government in Council) can decide that conscription will take place from the age of 18, and that war reinforcements can be set up of able-bodied between the ages of 18 and 55 who do not belong to the Armed Forces' normal call-up.

I saw a instagram post that showed that Ingrid has several outfit the same type and brand to Princess Kate even notice similar earnings and hair style even mannerisms seem Ingrid is sees her as some kind role model she did look to be very excited showing her around that park a few years back

https://www.instagram.com/p/CwvdG_wo5vS/?igshid=MWZjMTM2ODFkZg== Post in question

Last edited by a moderator:
However, in the case of Margrethe II of Denmark and Victoria of Sweden, they would have been expected to complete officer training had they been male, as we can deduce from the male members of those royal families. So, is it because Princess Ingrid Alexandra is a woman that officer training is seen as optional by the royal family and the public? Or would it be the same for Prince Sverre Magnus if he were the heir of his generation?

It could be that the expectations would be different for her brother if he’d been born first, but it could also be that Ingrid doesn’t want to spend the next three or four years in officer training and her family and the government don’t feel that kind of time commitment is necessary for someone whose future role in the military will be entirely ceremonial.

Ingrid and her fellow European royal heirs need to have a basic working knowledge of day to day military life and to become comfortable with any ceremonial aspects they’ll be expected to be a part of. That doesn’t require years of training.

IMO officer training schools can provide valuable skills and experiences in things like leadership, resilience, etc, but only if a person genuinely wants to be there, and certainly there are many other, equally worthy ways to acquire the same skills.

That post is a far stretch of the imagination....

You know, every young royal ladies must have been "inspired by Kate" or have Kate as role model at a certain point...... even the toddler Leonor has been "inspired by Kate" according to some press ......*eyesroll*

The fact is they are some generic clothes and some common styles. That's it.

You know, every young royal ladies must have been "inspired by Kate" or have Kate as role model at a certain point...... even the toddler Leonor has been "inspired by Kate" according to some press ......*eyesroll*

The fact is they are some generic clothes and some common styles. That's it.

?????????

Exactly!

A very beautiful outfit.

Unfortunately we don't have a national dress in my country, only local that are almost exclusively worn by folk dancers.

It's good to see the Norwegians hold on to their roots.

It could be that the expectations would be different for her brother if he’d been born first, but it could also be that Ingrid doesn’t want to spend the next three or four years in officer training and her family and the government don’t feel that kind of time commitment is necessary for someone whose future role in the military will be entirely ceremonial.

Ingrid and her fellow European royal heirs need to have a basic working knowledge of day to day military life and to become comfortable with any ceremonial aspects they’ll be expected to be a part of. That doesn’t require years of training.

IMO officer training schools can provide valuable skills and experiences in things like leadership, resilience, etc, but only if a person genuinely wants to be there, and certainly there are many other, equally worthy ways to acquire the same skills.
I agree with your conclusion, but I also believe that even if IA had wanted to spend time actually serving in the military I believe it would not be practicable to do so.

It is an unfortunate fact that her grandfather King Harold is in poor health and her mother CP Mette Marit is dealing with a life limiting condition that leaves her future uncertain and who is on "extended sick leave" at this moment. That being the case I believe that IA's education is planned to be broad and all-encompassing to that of a full time an heir as opposed to the heir's heir, filling in when necessary for her mother sooner rather than later.

To that end I would think that the Officer Training will be a crash course in learning to deal with other people at close quarters which is a pressure cooker character building exercise, the side benefits of which are patience (lots and lots of patience) self-control and conflict resolution all of which leads to a confident, diplomatic, disciplined, goal-oriented leader.

I think whatever follows her military experience will be more practical education in politics, international affairs, etc. which will sit nicely on a young woman who has already learnt those royal things a young heir should know and can be learnt still from her grandparents and parents while she still has them all.

To that end I would think that the Officer Training will be a crash course in learning to deal with other people at close quarters which is a pressure cooker character building exercise, the side benefits of which are patience (lots and lots of patience) self-control and conflict resolution all of which leads to a confident, diplomatic, disciplined, goal-oriented leader.

So far it hasn't been announced that she will undertake officer training as the king and crown prince did, only the standard 12 months of initial service for conscripts. That is why I wondered if the expectations would be different if she were a man. I suppose we will see when Prince Sverre Magnus graduates high school.

So far it hasn't been announced that she will undertake officer training as the king and crown prince did, only the standard 12 months of initial service for conscripts. That is why I wondered if the expectations would be different if she were a man. I suppose we will see when Prince Sverre Magnus graduates high school.

But again, that may not be down to gender as to their different positions in life and interests. We probably won't know the real reasons unless one of them says something.

Good for her. It will be a good experience for her.

Back
Top Bottom