Princess Delphine & Family, News & Events 1; 2020 - 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
She became the legal daughter of King Albert II at the same time she received her new titles and name.
She was his legal daughter and she has her titles since her birth. Legally the court just recognize this.

To add to my reply: I explained the original meaning of the decrees (under which they would have not applied to illegitimate children) here. Others have explained what is probably the court's interpretation - see here, for example.

She was his legal daughter and she has her titles since her birth. Legally the court just recognize this.

I have not seen anything in Delphine's or her lawyers' statements to suggest that the ruling is retroactive to her birth.

No word from K Albert about the new additions to his family. Two Pss and one Prince. I believe we will never see A and P with Delphine and his new grandchildren sit for a photo.

Why on earth should there be a photograph ever or within days???
Imagine your father did that, would you invite the whole new members next day for a coffee especially when your mother who has been betrayed was there to
and then tell all your neighbours about it and show photos? and all this after the new "lovely" sister teared the whole familystory through the dirt for years?
so why should the RF do so?

I thought Delphine did not marry because she wanted her children to carry her surname which is now finally the royal one?

No. Delphine was the legal daughter of Jacques Boël and Sybille de Selys Longchamps. She was born in their marriage. And it was Jacques Boël whom registered her at the town hall as his daughter.

That is why Delphine had to start a separate procedure first to end the paternity of Jacques Boël.

Then she was without any father for a period.

Then the procedure against King Albert resulted in the establishment of his paternity over Delphine.
I am just modest Russian lawyer and it is possible the in Belgien law patrnity is something another...

As for me the paternity is not marriage, it have not start and finish.

It is very possible the fact that her previously recognized legal father was Jacques Boël is important for some purpose.

But now for the state she is daughter of Albert II and for the state she became his daughter since her birth. It was just recognized 52 years later.

Now it is impoosiible to say that in 1970 she was the daughter of Jacques Boël. She legally was, she erroneusly was recognized but not she was

No word from K Albert about the new additions to his family. Two Pss and one Prince. I believe we will never see A and P with Delphine and his new grandchildren sit for a photo.

That would be very far-fetched. They aren't exactly a happy family.

Last edited:
Why on earth should there be a photograph ever or within days???
Imagine your father did that, would you invite the whole new members next day for a coffee especially when your mother who has been betrayed was there to
and then tell all your neighbours about it and show photos? and all this after the new "lovely" sister teared the whole familystory through the dirt for years?
so why should the RF do so?

I thought Delphine did not marry because she wanted her children to carry her surname which is now finally the royal one?

Her children have the O'Hare surname, don't they? :ermm:

They do, and if she would have wanted her children to have her surname they would have been named Boël. Because at the time of their birth there was not a court case in sight, nor an intention to start one.
So, IMO, a spiteful remark of the poster you responded to.

They do, and if she would have wanted her children to have her surname they would have been named Boël. Because at the time of their birth there was not a court case in sight, nor an intention to start one.

I don't think it is a good idea to be called Princes of the Belgians and their Father will remain Communor

If you read the links in this post, you will see that Delphine could not have named her children Boël whether she wanted to or not.

https://www.theroyalforums.com/foru...4-post2346577.html?highlight=2003#post2346577

I see nothing spiteful in the possibility that a woman may want to pass her surname to her children. There are many more comments here which assume that men want to pass their names to their children, whether it is true or not.

However, as explained above, the responses to the surname question have been moved to the Titles and Styles thread, and the moderators have requested us not to continue on that subject here.

If you read the links in this post, you will see that Delphine could not have named her children Boël whether she wanted to or not.

https://www.theroyalforums.com/foru...4-post2346577.html?highlight=2003#post2346577

I see nothing spiteful in the possibility that a woman may want to pass her surname to her children. There are many more comments here which assume that men want to pass their names to their children, whether it is true or not.

However, as explained above, the responses to the surname question have been moved to the Titles and Styles thread, and the moderators have requested us not to continue on that subject here.

Okay, I was wrong about the last name thing then.

The possibility itself (children using woman's last name) is not at all spiteful, but the poster I referred to implied that Delphine only wanted her children to carry the last name of Saxe-Cobourg and that that is the reason she never married. *That*, IMO, is spiteful and blatantly untrue as they were named O'Hare all along.

But you're right, enough with the last names here.

Okay, I was wrong about the last name thing then.

The possibility itself (children using woman's last name) is not at all spiteful, but the poster I referred to implied that Delphine only wanted her children to carry the last name of Saxe-Cobourg and that that is the reason she never married. *That*, IMO, is spiteful and blatantly untrue as they were named O'Hare all along.

But you're right, enough with the last names here.

I am sure it was simply that the other poster was like you merely unfamiliar with the rules around surnames in Belgium.

:previous: Possibly, but I have my own thoughts about that.

On a general note: Delphine's friend Patrick Declerck has said in the paper version of Dag Allemaal that Delphine does have contact with members of the royal family, but it's not for him to say with whom and how often.
The paper version has the complete story of this one: https://www.hln.be/showbizz/royalty...fspot-anders-overleef-je-zoiets-niet~a8a47c04

Another interesting story could be this one, where their (her?) inner circle asks for understanding for Queen Paola: "she is a victim, too. People forget the woman who for years has a child pushed down her throat that is not hers". https://www.hln.be/showbizz/royalty...lphine-paola-is-ook-een-slachtoffer~a103eb38/

Last edited:
:previous: I don't see Paola as a "victim" in this situation any more than Albert.

The only victims imo are Philippe, Astrid and Laurent....my sympathy for Delphine Boel has completely evaporated.

I don't see Queen Paola as a victim either, what did she expect? That Delphine would vanish into thin air?

I understand that, had King Albert reached out to her after last January, she would not have gone the route that led to this result. Then she would have been satisfied with the legal recognition and bearing his last name.

After getting over the initial shock of the claimed-and-bestowed princess thing, I'm still Team Delphine. I think it was fair for her to get the title, personally, and it's excellent insurance against anyone else who still wants to slander, ignore or discredit her or her kids. After getting over the shock, it didn't seem so shocking at all, but fitting. "Princess Delphine" is who she is, and she's got a right to that identity.

What happens in the future? Who knows. Hopefully not much.

Personally I would not want to be known as a Princess if I was in her shoes. It's like turning up to a party where you were not invited. The BRF don't want her in their ranks nor her children so why would she want to saddle them and herself with these titles? Even if she is entitled to them it looks very desperate and why associate herself so much with a father who has made in clear he would rather she didn't exist? You'd think she would rather align herself more to her mother and her family since it was her mother who loved and cared for her growing up. Officially she is Albert's daughter but the whole HRH thing makes her look foolish IMO even if she enjoys knowing it makes her father cringe.

Last edited:
I am thinking the point is being missed her the origins of the court case the then Kings reaction to his daughter the behaviour from his court after the DNA test .... I say he only had to be nicer to her and acknowledge her privately and he seemed to for a time then had a change of heart.I applaud her actually why should she stand back and not be counted and if the HRH goes with that then this religious ex King must pay the price. I would have done the same thing in Delphine's shoes.... victims well there are none in my opinion there is simply the truth and Delphine is the daughter of a King

By my understanding the Court of Appeal has honoured Delphine's request that her children are Joséphine de Saxe-Cobourg, princesse de Belgique and Oscar de Saxe-Cobourg, prince de Belgique. No idea if this already has been settled in the municipal registry. I assume a Royal Decree is needed.

It is also possible the Crown will now limit the title prins (prinses) van België / prince (princesse) de Belgique to children of a King and children of Heir. But usually, out of courtesy and prudence, such a Decree is not retroactive.

I am just modest Russian lawyer and it is possible the in Belgien law patrnity is something another...

As for me the paternity is not marriage, it have not start and finish.

It is very possible the fact that her previously recognized legal father was Jacques Boël is important for some purpose.

But now for the state she is daughter of Albert II and for the state she became his daughter since her birth. It was just recognized 52 years later.

Now it is impoosiible to say that in 1970 she was the daughter of Jacques Boël. She legally was, she erroneusly was recognized but not she was

What you do is erasing 52 years of history. Her birth certificate, her study results and certificates, her notarial acts with ownership of properties and of mortgages, her driving license, her voting rights, her taxes, the registration of her children, the jurisprudence. She was for 52 years the high- and wellborn jonkvrouw Delphine Boël. She was a legal daughter with all rights to Boël. He was responsible for her upbringing or for all consequences of her actions until she reached the age of majority.

Of course the Prince of Liège was her natural father, but the changes have effect in October 2020 and not retroactively to 1968. Of course not. It would imply that there never was a Delphine Boël. There simply was a Delphine Boël indeed from 1968 to 2020.

Skippy, I have a name and it would be polite if you used it, anything else and your multiple remarks about me are bickering.
If you read carefully you had seen the question mark at the end of my sentence.
Again some read carefully and consider both sides, others don't which is ok
until it leads into unuseful discussions! And imagine not everybody has an English mothertongue.

Thank you Tatiana Maria for understanding&defending.

As I have other things to do to, I am not here on a daily basis and could only now respond.

Have a nice day everybody.

Personally I would not want to be known as a Princess if I was in her shoes. It's like turning up to a party where you were not invited. The BRF don't want her in their ranks nor her children so why would she want to saddle them and herself with these titles? Even if she is entitled to them it looks very desperate and why associate herself so much with a father who has made in clear he would rather she didn't exist? You'd think she would rather align herself more to her mother and her family since it was her mother who loved and cared for her growing up. Officially she is Albert's daughter but the whole HRH thing makes her look foolish IMO even if she enjoys knowing it makes her father cringe.

Because he IS her father. If he had continued to acknowledge her as his daughter in private, she would probalby have been content with that.. but he didn't and made a very determined attempt to make out he was not her father and cut her out of his life. So she got angry and bitter. I dont think she should want to be a Princess but if the courts have allocated her that title.. then I suppose she is going to take it. She hardly wnats to be close to the RF, per se, as her father has treated her so badly but if she can at least have some recognition, as his daughter she's going to do that.

Because he IS her father. If he had continued to acknowledge her as his daughter in private, she would probalby have been content with that.. but he didn't and made a very determined attempt to make out he was not her father and cut her out of his life. So she got angry and bitter. I dont think she should want to be a Princess but if the courts have allocated her that title.. then I suppose she is going to take it. She hardly wnats to be close to the RF, per se, as her father has treated her so badly but if she can at least have some recognition, as his daughter she's going to do that.

I agree in that she is very angry and very bitter and she will know that using the HRH title will annoy Albert after his many years of denying her. I think though that she would have came out of the whole thing looking better had the court offered her the title for her to decline it, IMO that would have been the classier thing to do.

cathy50: you are right about the name thing. I'll give you that.

For the rest I leave it at this.

I agree in that she is very angry and very bitter and she will know that using the HRH title will annoy Albert after his many years of denying her. I think though that she would have came out of the whole thing looking better had the court offered her the title for her to decline it, IMO that would have been the classier thing to do.

And go through life as simply Delphine de Saxe-Cobourg? Sincere question.

As for classy: her father hasn't exactly behaved with class. She gave him the chance, he did not seize it.

Last edited:
I have not followed this thread since it started, nor was I aware of Delphine Boel until a year or so ago. The Australian programme Sixty Minutes did a story on her Sunday night and so with fresh eyes and an unbiased view I saw 20 minutes of an interview with Delphine and a readers digest version of her back story.
I can only comment on that.
I was quite impressed by the way Delphine spoke and my view is that good for her. I am very pleased with the Courts decision and the outcome.
What a stubborn old man King Albert has been throughout this ordeal. Putting himself and his wife and children through a public ordeal when it was totally unnessessary.

Maybe the lesson to be learned here is that Princes of any realm should not be spoilt rotten. Besides Sandhurst Military Academy training, people around them should say No to them more often perhaps. But having said that, I guess stubbornness runs in some peoples personalities.

cathy50: you are right about the name thing. I'll give you that.

For the rest I leave it at this.

And go through life as simply Delphine de Saxe-Cobourg? Sincere question.

As for classy: her father hasn't exactly behaved with class. She gave him the chance, he did not seize it.

Exactly, her father has not behaved in a classy way in not recognising her and I think rejecting the HRH would have really put him in his place as in, "You think you are so above me being royal but if you are a classic case of what royal means then I want no part of it", terrific put down IMO and I do wish she had done it to show him the contempt he deserves.

Exactly, her father has not behaved in a classy way in not recognising her and I think rejecting the HRH would have really put him in his place as in, "You think you are so above me being royal but if you are a classic case of what royal means then I want no part of it", terrific put down IMO and I do wish she had done it to show him the contempt he deserves.

|But it has nothing to do wiht him... it was offered by the courts, not by him... or hte RF

But she is pretty much intending to go through life as Delphine de Saxe-Cobourg; she said so herself. Her title is only going to be used to raise awareness (or if she needs it, I suppose). As far as we know she's not going to live daily as HRH Princess. It's just a beneficial thing to have as backup.

We can spend days and nights writing comments on this thread, but there is only one person who knows what really happened and what are Delphine's true motives and intentions: Delphine herself.

So far, we only heard Delphine's view of the events. How honest she is, none of us can tell. Maybe she wasn't such a victim like she tells us. Or maybe she was even bigger victim. Maybe the only "bad guys" here are Albert and Paola. Maybe only Albert. Maybe there were 3 of them doing wrong things in the wrong time: Albert, Paola, Delphine. Maybe 4 of them: Albert, Paola, Delphine, Sybille. Maybe 5: Albert, Paola, Delphine, Sybille, Jacques. In recent years maybe 6: Albert, Paola, Delphine, Sybille, Jacques, James. The point is that we simply cannot know what really was/is going on behind the doors.

So there is only one thing we can do, no matter whose "side" each one of us is on - to wait. We just have to wait and see what Delphine's actions, intentions and behaviour will be. Same goes for all others involved in this. Time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom