Princess Delphine & Family, News & Events 2; 2023 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sir Salvador and Lady Moncada , born Princess of Belgium never wanted tittles for their Children Alexandra and Leopoldo.

This lady is behaving ridiculously IMO. I had thought that Albert was a rotter in not acknowledging her for years but now I'm starting to understand why. The same is going on in Monaco now with Prince Albert's older children suddenly wanting to be officially part of everything when it's clear the Prince is against it, even though he has a close PERSONAL relationship with them. I think in life it's best to face up to reality and, for better or worse, I'm guessing that the Belgian and Monegasque monarchs did not want these children to have been born but have eventually tried to do right by them. However, it doesnt include being part of their official families for the most part and there's something a bit demeaning in trying to force oneself into a space where you are not wanted.

This article explains in detail why Delphine is dissatisfied:
https://www.nieuwsblad.be/cnt/dmf20231214_97458398

She finda PM De Croo's declaration a "pretty bizarre explanation" and "it feels like I'm being punished for not receiving a dotation". She clearly feels a victim of the system, which she thinks should be modernized.
Think what you may of it....

Also on hln.be, which contains a detail of how that different treatment apparently looks like:

https://www.hln.be/royalty/prinses-...-word-omdat-ik-geen-dotatie-ontvang~a65129e5/

Again, think what you may of it...

Last edited:
:previous:

Thanks for the article and the dotation quote. I wonder if the denial she was seeking one will stay as strong as it was a few weeks ago. Now she can justify it to the world by claiming she is not doing it out of greed but because she is a warrior for equality.

I am equally puzzled about her complaint about being a victim of modernisations. If anybody with a title anywhere benifited from exactly that it would be her.

A pity she can't seem to be happy with what she gained but simply needs to continue fighting for the sake of it.

Good lord. I sincerely hope King Philippe will close the doors of Laeken for this woman...forever. Backstabbers can't be welcomed a second time around.

The only difference is not her not receiving a dotation - her nephew Gabriel doesn't either and he is the legitimate eldest adult son of the king(!) but the fact that she isn't in line to the thron - and yes, that has everything to do with her not being born from an approved royal marriage.

Thanks for the article and the dotation quote. I wonder if the denial she was seeking one will stay as strong as it was a few weeks ago. Now she can justify it to the world by claiming she is not doing it out of greed but because she is a warrior for equality.

I am equally puzzled about her complaint about being a victim of modernisations. If anybody with a title anywhere benifited from exactly that it would be her.

A pity she can't seem to be happy with what she gained but simply needs to continue fighting for the sake of it.

It's simply ridiculous, 20 years ago she would have never even been recognized, much less being made a part of the family in public.

Whatever sympathy I had for her is gone, because she's going after her brother now, who has done nothing but be kind to her since she won the case and welcomed her into the family, whatever happened with Albert isn't Philippe's fault but he's the one who has to deal with the fallout of this :mad:

This woman is clearly suffering of some sort of victim syndrome. She wasn't simply recognized, she actually gained a family which welcomed her open arms, something that cannot be taken for granted.

She was born from a relationship that was partly the reason why the "Liège" family almost fell to pieces, yet they all managed to look past that and recognized she was as much a victim of the circumstances as they were. Yet she seems restless, makes you wonder if she thought the royal connection would give her more business opportunities and the moment she realized this is not going to happen she returned playing a victim card right after they other so to gain more and more. Despicable and slighty narcissistic.

I was impressed and got emotional watching her telling her story in a documentary a while ago, but all my sympathy is gone now. After all her brother the King has done (more than anyone in the same circumstances would have done probably, even nowadays) she is going after him.

No child chooses to be born out of wedlock…

That decision is made by others.

So why should the “child”- young or mature- have to suffer the consequences, the opprobrium, the diminishment of status, the relegation to the back of the family bus? It smacks of ‘otherness’, of second rate status. She is the daughter of a king- why should she not be treated as one?

Invite her to all family events; let her enter and depart from the same doors/gates as her brother and sister; let her receive the respect that her status should entitle her to. I doubt that these decisions have been made by King Philippe, but he could make it happen.

And for those who argue ‘tradition’, the tradition has been to diminish the out of wedlock child, and to continue to honor those who created her in that status. What difference does it make if she has equal treatment?

The event she is moaning about is organised by the government and they seem to invite all the royals who receive an official allowance and carry out official events. It is really that simple.

The event she is moaning about is organised by the government and they seem to invite all the royals who receive an official allowance and carry out official events. It is really that simple.

And yet there are many guests invited, including dignitaries, officials, religious representatives. Traditionally, no one from the King’s Household attends because it would not be seemly for him to appear to celebrate himself.

It’s hard to see why (theoretically) anyone in Belgium could be invited but it would be a faux pas to include the King’s sister, who is not a member of his household.

It seems like a deliberate exclusion of Delphine, as there will be many people attending who certainly have no official role either as royals or government officials. King Philippe seems like a wise and kindly man who will do the right thing; surely his wishes will be honored. And Delphine herself would seem to be a charming and interesting addition to any dinner party.

So why should the “child”- young or mature- have to suffer the consequences, the opprobrium, the diminishment of status, the relegation to the back of the family bus? It smacks of ‘otherness’, of second rate status. She is the daughter of a king- why should she not be treated as one?

Invite her to all family events; let her enter and depart from the same doors/gates as her brother and sister; let her receive the respect that her status should entitle her to. I doubt that these decisions have been made by King Philippe, but he could make it happen.

And for those who argue ‘tradition’, the tradition has been to diminish the out of wedlock child, and to continue to honor those who created her in that status. What difference does it make if she has equal treatment?

But hasn't the treatment Princess Delphine has received so far already exceeded equal treatment? Compared to the other non-working blood members of the royal family (Princess Esmeralda, Prince Amedeo, etc.), Princess Delphine has received more official privileges (an official role at National Day, the right to pass all of her titles to her children), even though the others, unlike herself, were born and raised within the royal family with the consent of the monarch and some are in line to be King or Queen of the Belgians by decision of the government.

On the other hand, all the other children born out of wedlock to Belgian noblemen - as well as the children born in or out of wedlock to Belgian noblewomen - continue to experience second-rate status in being unable to inherit their parents' titles. Given her references in her recent interviews to other people in the same situation (born out of wedlock), I wonder why the princess does not advocate for equality of titles (which she herself now enjoys) for those other individuals.

Delphine has a ridiculously good treatment for someone who was born as an illegitimate royal child. But it is never enough. Even her children have a princely title. I really wish, that the king Phillipe never invited her to the palace and later to other official functions, it was a sign of a great weakness and opened the Pandora's box.:whistling:

As Tatiana Maria pointed out Delphine is receiving more than "equal" treatment.

The BRF should not now be compelled to shoehorn her into any and all family events just because some judges and politicians decided to stick it to Albert II and the monarchy by providing HRH to Delphine and her children.

What a mess their shortsighted and petty behavior has caused.Not to mention the stubborn irresponsible behavior of Albert himself.

But the brutal, hard cold fact is that there is nothing "equal" about a monarchical system. Trying to apply democratic egalitarian principles to an ancient institution based on and dependent upon inherent privilege is absurd.

Delphine was not born to the woman her biological father was married to. Her father became king(unexpectedly)through tragic circumstances .She is not entitled to the(Royal) rights and privileges of her siblings born within a lawful recognized marriage. Period.

It's not a matter of "punishing" anyone. Delphine has the Royal acknowledgement she spent years insisting that she was due. I agreed with her then.

But my sympathy for her has run out. Once she gets whatever it is she now demanding from the government and King Philippe what is next? Will she insist on being sent abroad to represent the family at Royal weddings and funerals?:whistling:

I am starting to wonder if King Philippe shouldn't have simply ignored Delphine instead of extending his hand and welcoming her.

No good deed goes unpunished.:sad:

Last edited:
The BRF should not now be compelled to shoehorn her into any and all family events just because some judges and politicians decided to stick it to Albert II and the monarchy by providing HRH to Delphine and her children.

As it was already pointed out earlier in this thread, judges in Belgium (like in other Civil Law countries) apply the law: in this specific case, article 2 of the 2015 Royal Decree about Royal Titles (which was rather badly-worded, in my opinion). Then, one can discuss if the judges interpreted it correctly, but they didn't "decide to stick it to Albert and the monarchy" , and it's simply wrong to suggest that it was the case.

As for the rest, I've expressed quite clearly my opinion about the matter in previous posts and I don't want to repeat myself. I just hope she'll understand how privileged her position is and she'll stop complaining- it's also not good for her or for her image

Count Michel de Selys Longchamps, Delphine's maternal uncle, died on March 8 in New Delhi. His funerals will take place tomorrow in Mellery, Belgium.
He leaves his wife, Countess Florence De Selys-Longchamps (née Van den Perre), three children and grandchildren. He was the head of his family, and had the title of Count, which was reserved to the firstborn son, while the other members of the family are Barons/Baronesses (such as Delphine's mother, Baroness Sybille):

La princesse Delphine a perdu son oncle, le comte de Selys Longchamps

Do you know if Css Florence van den Perre is related to the late Alfons van den Perre, parlementarian for the catholic party and co-founder & publisher of the Standaard newspaper? His son Hugo was married to Ravensbruck survivor and resistance fighter Selma van de Perre-Velleman, who wrote a book about her experiences a few years ago.

Back
Top Bottom