Pippa and James Matthews and Family 1: May 2017 - 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had wanted Arthur for Louis as a first name. Guess got used, not Royal ?

Well there was Prince Arthur and Ermm King Arthur ;) Several Arthurs as middle names. And Louis isn't a partularly royal first name for British princes. I also wanted it to be Louis first name but there you go. I've got used to it. Not that the Cambridges were quick to ask my opinion.

Well there was Prince Arthur and Ermm King Arthur ;) Several Arthurs as middle names. And Louis isn't a partularly royal first name for British princes. I also wanted it to be Louis first name but there you go. I've got used to it. Not that the Cambridges were quick to ask my opinion.

I don't care for either name. (Arthur or Louis).

If the Cambridges decided to reuse one of George's names, I would much prefer Alexander.

But then, they didn't consult me. ;)

Pippa and James Matthews: May 2017 -

I did expect them to use old fashioned names, used by royalty in the past.
If you see names in Pippas family, most of them have such names.

I was expecting a nod to the baby’s grandfather/uncle Michael and royal relatives (not necessarily William).

I’m now more than certain that Prince William will be godfather

I meant the name got used just not for a royal baby. Arthur Matthews is not Royal. No suggestion on my side that the name doesn't have obvious Royal pedigree. :ermm:

Lovely names. I wasn´t expecting to see William, but it´s a nice nod to one of his uncles!

Lovely names. I wasn´t expecting to see William, but it´s a nice nod to one of his uncles!

Even to two of his uncles as William is also James Middleton's middle name and you could argue that it can be considered a reference to his aunt Vogue Williams as well (but that would be more of an added bonus than the reason to choose that name).

Last edited:
Pippa and James Matthews: May 2017 -

I love the baby's name! I was hoping Arthur for Louis however perhaps the reason why the Cambridges didn't include Arthur in neither of George or Louis's names is because they knew that Pippa wanted to name her first child Arthur; it could've been a name Pippa had wanted for a long time.
I'm surprised at how traditional and royal sounding the combination is; despite the names obviously being Middleton honour names. I thought that being a private citizen Pippa might have been slightly more adventurous with her naming choices.

Last edited:
I love the baby's name! I was hoping Arthur for Louis however perhaps the reason why the Cambridges didn't include Arthur in neither of George or Louis's names is because they knew that Pippa wanted to name her first child Arthur; it could've been a name Pippa had wanted for a long time. I doubt we'll see Arthur now in any of the baby's future royal cousins' names should his aunt and uncle have any more children, though having said that, they did reuse Louis from George's middle names so we might see Arthur in the middle name spot.
I'm surprised at how traditional and royal sounding the combination is; despite the names obviously being Middleton honour names. I thought that being a private citizen Pippa might have been slightly more adventurous with her naming choices.

Arthur is included in Louis' name. He is Louis Arthur Charles :flowers:

The 100 year Anniversary of Armistace Day has brought so many stories about brave men with names from about 1900. The names don't feel remote or particularly old. Perhaps that has helped make them familiar and used again. They are endearing names from our family trees.
Pippa and James' son has names rich with history. It's a good start.
Do you reckon that the baby's first name is also a nod to the honeymoon in Sydney?
Arthur Phillip having been the first Governor?

Last edited:
Lovely names. Tradition now seems to be going back to "old" names whether family or just favorite names. Recently I have known personal friends grandchildren naming their babies Lillian, Jacob, Stephen, Sarah, Carol and Mary. All names common many years ago. I guess what is old is now new again.

Indeed. I, too, like the name Arthur. Classic, traditional, and elegant. Sure beats the names Rocco, Saint, Suri, and Apple.??

I like the name Arthur! I actually thought that Louis was going to be Arthur.

There were sexual assault allegations made against David Matthews at one time and the French authorities were investigating. Supposedly they had six months to bring charges.
Has anyone heard anything about the outcome of that?

Baby Arthur doesn't seem to have been christened yet, which is quite surprising.

Baby Arthur doesn't seem to have been christened yet, which is quite surprising.

He's 1 month old. The Cambridges wait longer than that so do the Middletons. Catherine wasn't christened until she was 5 1/2 months old.

He's 1 month old. The Cambridges wait longer than that so do the Middletons. Catherine wasn't christened until she was 5 1/2 months old.

And the Middleton family does seem to follow tradition but doesn't seem to be very active in their faith; or Catherine would have been confirmed way earlier and not just because she was about to marry the future head of the church. Not sure about the Matthews family...

He is barely over six weeks old. I'd be surprised if he was already baptized. they were done right after birth a hundred years ago when many babies died, but the age certainly has gone up.

He is barely over six weeks old. I'd be surprised if he was already baptized. they were done right after birth a hundred years ago when many babies died, but the age certainly has gone up.

Yeah, it's rarer to get Christened as a newborn now. Look at Mia Tindall, she didn't get Christened until she was over 10 months old. I suspect Arthur will get Christened in the time range from 2 months old to the end of summer 2019.

Last edited:
I think that depends on the Church too...Catholics still usually (depending on how practicing the parents are) have a baptism done within a month of birth.

LaRae

:previous: I agree. It's very rare for Catholic royals and aristocrats to not baptize their children within six months.

The more observant the parents, the sooner the infant is baptized.

Its very possible that Pippa and James have decided not to baptize their children at all. I'm not saying this is the case but its a possibility. We don't know the religious leanings of either Pippa or James. Its a personal decision.

:previous: I agree. It's very rare for Catholic royals and aristocrats to not baptize their children within six months.

The more observant the parents, the sooner the infant is baptized.

But neither Pippa nor James are Catholic AFAIK.

Its very possible that Pippa and James have decided not to baptize their children at all. I'm not saying this is the case but its a possibility. We don't know the religious leanings of either Pippa or James. Its a personal decision.

Possibly, though for a 6 week old child, it is a bit early to speculate on. In my experience, most christenings take place when the babies are between 4 - 8 months old.

Pippa & James Matthews, Carole, Michael and James Middleton all attended the Henry van Straubenzee Memorial Fund carol service

They obviously attend every year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom