General News about Joachim, Marie and Family Part 7: January 2024 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iceflower

Administrator
Site Team
Country
Germany

Welcome to Part 7 of the thread for General News about Joachim, Marie and Family!

You can find the old thread here:

** General News about Joachim, Marie and Family Part 6: January 2021 - December 2023 **

Please take a look at the
TRF Community Rules & FAQs!

· Only pictures you have written permission to share can be posted here. You can post links to any pictures.
· No more than 20% of the text of an article can be posted, along with a link to the original article.
· It's a copyright violation to post translations of entire articles.
· We expect our members to treat each other and the royals and persons in these threads with respect.
· Opinions should be backed up by reference to published reports.
· Off topic and empty posts will be deleted without notice.
· Please be careful not to write in capital letters.

:flowers: Happy Posting! :flowers:

A nice congratulatory comment would have been a good opportunity to show there is peace and unity in the family.

A nice congratulatory comment would have been a good opportunity to show there is peace and unity in the family.

That's indeed a bit weird. It shouldn't be too hard to prepare a short sentence you can say to any reporter asking a question about it such as 'she has done a great job for 52 years', (the more ambiguous) 'it is well deserved' or 'I fully support my mother's decision'.

None of the royal commented as they arrived as the New Years dinner/receptions so my guess is they have all been asked to say nothing.

:previous: Actually, Benedikte did. But the official New Year celebrations are also a much more formal setting than reporters meeting Joachim on NYE.

Speculative posts have been removed according to the TRF rules.

:previous:

The photo is from 2019, taken for the interview Marie did with Danish Femina magazine.

The US Embassy's Defense Industry Team, including BG Prince Joachim attended a conference in Washington DC called Sea, Air Space. The managing director of the Naval Team Denmark also attended. The exposition took place from April 8-10. It is the largest maritime exposition in the U.S.

DK has some quite advanced software systems to offer, both in regards to logistics but also battlefield-control.

Thank you for gifting the article so we could read it, Prinsara.

Anybody knows how long Joachim and Marie is staying in the USA for?

Not impressed by this article. The Washington Post doesn't seem to have a good grasp of monarchies in general (for example explaining that non-heirs need to find a different occupation and using prince Philippos of Greece and king Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands who seems to have been a full-time KLM pilot as examples). They sat down with Joachim and Marie but the articles includes very few quotes from that interview. It's mostly other sources that are used painting a not so accurate picture.

The short part at the end that focuses more on what they said themselves is interesting in that Marie on the one hand stresses that taking away the titles of the children was problematic because it was part of their identity and in the next paragraph it talks about how they can fly under the radar in Washington - that would have been quite impossible if they would introduce themselves as prince(sse)s of Denmark all the time; going through live as Henrik/Athena de Monpezat makes that much easier...

Anybody knows how long Joachim and Marie is staying in the USA for?
I believe initially it was stated that it would be for 3 years.

I liked that the interview gave us more info on Joachim's job/role in Washington .
"“It’s about defense industrial cooperation,” Joachim explained. “My main task here is to pave the way — boost, help, inspire — for Danish defense industries, large and small, to enter the U.S.: Either provide or sub-supply, get into that big chain of regenerating and resupplying our armed forces.” In short: One of the thousands of diplomats in this town (who happens to be a member of the royal family)."

I would have wished Marie would have commented more on her patronages instead of the title drama again,
"“We weren’t happy about the way it happened,” Marie said. “But it’s a family thing. It’s complicated.” What some people might see as frivolous is something more, she said: “It’s also their name. It’s their identity since they were born. So it’s more than just what people see as a title.”
But what’s done is done: The queen always gets the last word in any argument. “We’ve moved on,” Joachim said. (He was all smiles at his brother’s coronation.)"

Focus on this
"she’s been working on the issue of hunger and food waste for years, and since arriving in Washington has partnered with Veteran Coalition International, a Danish American nonprofit that focuses on long-term care for international/NATO veterans and their families."

Good, gives her something to do and is good networking. The wife of a diplomat can have an important role as well.

Doesnt seem like Marie has moved on by bringing the topic up again....

This story is a good indication of how little attention they are getting in Washington. They are not on the social scene at all -- zero profile in charities or events -- and they've never been mentioned in the Post before. I know some parents whose kids go to school with Athena and Henrik. They describe the family as "tense."

The author is gossip columnist Roxanne Roberts, who doesn't write for the paper very often anymore. The fact that a feature writer didn't produce the piece and that it didn't run on a weekend suggest it was a low priority.

Normally they would hold an interview like this at the interviewees' house or at an embassy, but this took place at the ambassador's residence, which makes me wonder if the embassy begged them to do it.

The comments on the article are pretty vicious. It didn't land well.

Good, gives her something to do and is good networking. The wife of a diplomat can have an important role as well.
Seems Princess Marie will be in Denmark I think next week...she has a couple of engagements on the official calendar.

She's actually attended a few events in DC including one with Joachim and the kids I believe te wounded Unkrainian soldiers. The Denmarkinusa IG account posts them. Joachim has also handed out medals of merit recently in DC as well. So contrary to what is believed, they do attend various events in DC.

Last edited:
The comments on the article are pretty vicious. It didn't land well.

Worth noting that the vicious comments I saw all had to do with the paper’s lack of proofreaders. No one is familiar enough with Joachim and Marie — hence the 85% of the article outlining them — to have an opinion about them, let alone a vicious one.

Worth noting that the vicious comments I saw all had to do with the paper’s lack of proofreaders. No one is familiar enough with Joachim and Marie — hence the 85% of the article outlining them — to have an opinion about them, let alone a vicious one.
You might want to read further.

Back
Top Bottom