Netflix Docu-Series of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex (2022)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If it actually happens, and they find a 'loophole' in the law, I will happily stand corrected ?

Nothing would surprise me these days but let’s see what the next moves are. We have maybe already seen the worst of the film. I read an interesting article today saying that if Kate is targeted then William will never forgive Harry. The King might have to decide between his sons.

question - Can Harry be disowned without a removal of title? Would this include a removal from the line of succession?

The Daily Mail article linked from soapstar's post above claims Harry and Meghan are hoping to rebuild their relationship with the RF once the documentary and Harry's book are done.

Which means either i) there is nothing overtly critical of the BRF in either the documentary or the book or ii) Harry and Meghan really don't understand how people work.

Last edited:
I just hope King Charles III health doesn't get affected by this drama. [.....] If he becomes ill and or worst, William becomes king out of that health situation, Harry will have to live with that new cross to bear.
I'm logging out now since I mentioned health, running to CVS for the annual flu shot! Bye till 2morrow

Last edited by a moderator:
question - Can Harry be disowned without a removal of title? Would this include a removal from the line of succession?

My understanding is, not without an Act of Parliament, no.

If he was single, and then married without his father's consent, he would be excluded from the succession as per the terms of the Succession to the Crown Act 2013, but that is obviously now a moot point.

Harry cannot be removed from the line of succession without an act of the UK Parliament assented to also by the Parliaments of all the Commonwealth realms. In some realms like Australia and New Zealand, separate domestic legislation would also be needed to remove Harry from the line of succession to their respective Crowns. It is a very long and cumbersome process.

As for being disowned, sure. The King can will his private assets to anyone he wants under English law.

EDIiT: Harry could remove himself from the line of succession automatically if he married without the consent of the King in Council in the United Kingdom, or if he became a Roman Catholic, but I guess that is not what you asked.

Last edited:
Nothing would surprise me these days but let’s see what the next moves are. We have maybe already seen the worst of the film. I read an interesting article today saying that if Kate is targeted then William will never forgive Harry. The King might have to decide between his sons.

If it got bad enough- choice wouldn’t even be a word I’d use for Charles. It would be William. He’s the next king. He (and Catherine) is the one who has acted like a mature adult in public.

It wouldn’t be a choice. It would just be- if that makes sense.

I said it upthread- but honestly- maybe they should have called this Keeping up with the Sussexes. This whole thing reeks of celebrity reality tv- something I have no use for.

I have cringed just looking at some of the photos released. Don’t really need to see them on the kitchen counter.

I just saw Netflix is releasing this in 2 parts. They can’t just get it over with already. Ugh.

ETA- I wonder if that means there’s a cliffhanger or something big they’re ending with in episode 3. They’re going to want people to care enough to pick this up a week later.

Last edited:
I still struggle to understand why Harry would throw his family under the bus.
If Meghan was unhappy and wanted to go back to America, then so be it. Even if they slightly crossed the line in using the title to make money.
If he has thrown them under the bus with the film and or the book I do not know what would happen next.
I don’t think we will know until they are both out there.

Just an FYI regarding The Titles Situation. A Labour Politician from York introduced a "Removal of Titles Bill" in June to the Commons in Parliament. Due to many in York supposedly not wanting to be associated with Andrew. It gets another hearing funny enough next week. It would allow The Monarch, OR on a recommendation from a joint Committee in Parliament to remove Titles. Very interesting.
I'm American, so I don't know how this works and what its chances are.

But it is out there.

Just big shout outs to all the great insight and comments from all ! *If* someone could tell me how to work that "private thankyou message" I would be very appreciative too !

I still struggle to understand why Harry would throw his family under the bus.
If Meghan was unhappy and wanted to go back to America, then so be it. Even if they slightly crossed the line in using the title to make money.
If he has thrown them under the bus with the film and or the book I do not know what would happen next.
I don’t think we will know until they are both out there.

They are provoking a response - publicly. That is what they wanted from the Oprah interview, from the numerous interviews that followed. They want to take the argument into the public domain and the palace has so far refused.
Why? My guess if that they believe they will win the argument in the public opinion and that will force the monarchy's hand.

They are provoking a response - publicly. That is what they wanted from the Oprah interview, from the numerous interviews that followed. They want to take the argument into the public domain and the palace has so far refused.
Why? My guess if that they believe they will win the argument in the public opinion and that will force the monarchy's hand.

I still do not understand why they want this response, what are they trying to force. I did wonder if they wanted paid to go away.

I noticed that most of these newly released pics are from when they were members of the royal family. And these are artistic taken pics in BP and Windsor and I presume Frogmore. Why was a professional photographer following them then? In case you wonder - BP does not have a photographer on staff - they are called in for events ad hoc. So what's with the pics - especially at these moments - was a book or a documentary planned then? Kind of reminds me of the pictures that the Kennedy's had done in the White House during the Cuban Missile Crisis - I believe they asked for a photographer to come capture history.

Also who owns these pics - I would think it would be the palace as they would have had to signed off the photographer been there. Does the Sussexs have permission to use these pics? Does Netflix? The reason I ask - do you remember when the Duke of York got into trouble for taken a picture in the corridor that was not allowed to be photographed. There is one pic that I think would fall into that category.

They will blame it on the 'documentary" being directed by someone else - they'd laid the ground work for that. They know that whatever events they plan themselves away from the RF their biggest, worldwide exposure comes from royal events and being seen as having an "in" with the RF. They can't "dine out" for years to come on not having been part of the RF for years and they know it.

I think while not polite there are no laws saying you can't be photographed in a space especially if it doesn't impact others - like the one of them walking out BP for "last time as working royals" when only they are in the shot with two footmen who's faces aren't shown. I imagine anything private or faces of others could cause issues except those that are already public like the ones of the wider RF at Westminster Abbey

Last edited:
I am curious about that use of the word "forced" as I was under the impression from the Sussexes' own words from their January 2020 statement that the decision to step back from royal duties was their choice.

It’s a more emotive word that sells the series. Netflix hope, anyway.

It’s possible that that could be the word that Harry and/or Meghan would use - if the alternatives are unbearable, people are in a sense forced to do something that they would never have chosen before.

Certainly they seem to have had optimism for their lives overseas before, so I personally don’t see it as a rock and a hard place kind of situation. They were only forced in as far as they were denied a half-in, half-out, best of both worlds set up.

Camelot23ca, right now I don't see any chance the Sussex's attending The Coronation next year. None. Zero invite issued.
And that's my feeling BEFORE the ridiculous reality series and book come out.

I’m on the fence - there was a post in the last couple of days that quoted someone referring to the BRF as ruthless, but I actually see Charles as having been more patient than strictly necessary with Harry, at least publicly, and more lenient than some other European monarchs would be in the same circumstances. So as long as the book and TV series don’t cross any new lines I think they might be invited to the Coronation, albeit with no official role and very little public contact with Charles or William. It’s then Harry and Meghan’s decision whether to go or not - if they go it will be on the King’s terms, if they stay home it’s on them - and they won’t be given the opportunity to make the monarchy look petty.

Camelot23ca, right now I don't see any chance the Sussex's attending The Coronation next year. None. Zero invite issued.
And that's my feeling BEFORE the ridiculous reality series and book come out.

I really hope they don't attend because the press will focus an inordinate amount of attention on them just like they did when they were there for Queen Elizabeth's funeral. The Coronation should be about King Charles.

I just hope King Charles III health doesn't get affected by this drama. [.....] If he becomes ill and or worst, William becomes king out of that health situation, Harry will have to live with that new cross to bear.
I'm logging out now since I mentioned health, running to CVS for the annual flu shot! Bye till 2morrow

I hope King Charles stays healthy and lives as long as his mother, so I am concerned about how this is affecting him. I really want him to draw a line in the sand so that Prince William won't have to deal with this if he becomes King sooner than later. I wonder if King Charles could disinherit Harry because of his behavior? He could tell him that if the attacks do not stop, he won't get a dime.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really hope they don't attend because the press will focus an inordinate amount of attention on them just like they did when they were there for Queen Elizabeth's funeral. The Coronation should be about King Charles.

I totally agree.

I also think BP should make it abundantly and profoundly clear that they are not being invited well ahead of the date, so the run-up isn't full of all the 'will they, won't they' speculation we saw with various events this year.

I ended up not watching as much of the jubilee and funeral coverage as I wanted to, because I got fed up with all the guessing games about H&M. I don't want the coronation to go the same way.

Not sure if anyone else has noticed but in the trailer there is a photo of an interior at 21 seconds in that I'm 99.9% certain is the north entrance of Buckingham Palace. It's a room that was remodelled in the 1920's I think. It's a bow shaped room on the north wing - so the right hand side of the palace as you look at the principal front. It's looking towards the door with a rear shot of H&M.

Curious as to who took the photo & when it was taken.

Last edited:
Not sure if anyone else has noticed but in the trailer there is a photo of an interior at 21 seconds in that I'm 99.9% certain is the north entrance Buckingham Palace. It's a room that was remodelled in the 1920's I think. It's a bow shaped room on the north wing - so the right hand side of the palace as you look at the principal front. It's looking towards the door with a rear shot of H&M.

Curious as to who took the photo & when it was taken.

There's more about the incident in this article in The Telegraph.

It claims H&M took the photographs using their own photographer, and without first obtaining the Queen's permission, which was a serious protocol and security no-no.

So they violated the late Queen's privacy my taking photos in her home without permission so they could use it in a Netflix documentary moaning about their lack of privacy. My head hurts.

There's more about the incident in this article in The Telegraph.

It claims H&M took the photographs using their own photographer, and without first obtaining the Queen's permission, which was a serious protocol and security no-no.

That seems to be a very serious breach of privacy as well as protocol and security. :ohmy:

And taken so serious apparently that the photographer wasn’t spoken to, wasn’t asked to leave and the senior people at BP did absolutely nothing about it in spite of allegedly a written complaint being given.

And taken so serious apparently that the photographer wasn’t spoken to, wasn’t asked to leave and the senior people at BP did absolutely nothing about it in spite of allegedly a written complaint being given.

By that point, everyone at BP would have known this was likely the Sussexes last hurrah, so why poke the bears and cause more angst? Just report it on up the chain and let it be dealt with by the Queen if she saw fit. :rolleyes:

The point is they claim to want to control their own private information but happily give out others. If someone turned up in their front hall and filmed without permission they'd go mad.

By that point, everyone at BP would have known this was likely the Sussexes last hurrah, so why poke the bears and cause more angst? Just report it on up the chain and let it be dealt with by the Queen if she saw fit. :rolleyes:

Well obviously she didn’t see fit as she and the Sussexes were in contact to the end.

To me- the point is that Harry and Meghan are unable to be respectful, courteous, and follow simple rules- probably because they think rules don’t apply to them. It’s just a pattern of behavior.

Just because BP opted not to make a huge issue out of this doesn’t make it ok. Probably one of many times that being HM’s grandson worked out for him.

Best I can tell- HM probably knew how to pick her battles.

Last edited:
To me- the point is that Harry and Meghan are unable to be respectful, courteous, and follow simple rules- probably because they think rules don’t apply to them. It’s just a pattern of behavior.

Just because BP opted not to make a huge issue out of this doesn’t make it ok.

Best I can tell- HM probably knew how to pick her battles.

I think she was past caring. She had seen so much of this in her lifetime and anyway anyone who knows her always says she was quite the ostrich.

Thing is, this won’t damage the family. It can’t even touch them. We I’ll have zero response unless they do come out accuse someone of racism or abuse.

I tend to discount any reports about anyone within the royal family that uses words like "claims." For all anyone knows, the photos may have been purchased from a photo service.

Presumably no one at the Palace anticipated at the time that the pictures would end up on a Netflix "docu-series". But the whole situation highlights the long game the Sussexes were playing, which is particularly concerning in my opinion.

And, yes, if image rights were violated, the Palace would be right to take legal action, although I doubt they will do it.

As I said before, it is not in the interest of the RF to get into a war of words with the Sussexes when the position of the monarchy in the UK is secure and the Waleses for example are at a +60 favorability rating versus -20 or -30 for Harry and Meghan. It is advisable to ignore them, but cut them off further from any institutional link with the RF. That means no invitation to the Coronation for example (no need to give them a stage to show for profit on Netflix).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom