The Empress -Netflix Series

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

An Ard Ri

Super Moderator
Site Team
City
An Iarmhí
Country
Ireland
The Empress -Netflix Series

Netflix has commissioned a new German 6 part series on the life of Elisabeth of Bavaria, Empress of Austria.

The story begins in 1854 and will span the life of the Empress who was sadly assassinated by an anarchist in 1898.

German actress Devrim Lingnau was cast in the lead role.
The series is in post production and was filmed in Vienna and is expected to be released in 2022.

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/l...empress-duchess-sissi-austria-netflix-series/

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...ma-documents-teen-married-Emperor-killed.html

This series must be interesting. I'll want to see it.

This will be on my list to binge when it comes out!

This is on my list!! Thank you for the information. I read a biography about her and she was an interesting person.

It is splendid that Sisi is being filmed on location. It will be nice to see the exterior of Schonbrunn Palace.

I am really tired of the romanticizing this situation. Franz put his wants in front of what was good for his country. Yes this is one of the numerous Cinderella stories, but there needs to be some mention that Franz mother was right that Sissi was a bad choice.

And marrying Sisi was basically the first and last time in his life Franz did that, and presumably this series is going to go into all the consequences of it as everything from at least "Fall of Eagles" has done.

There's no evidence that anything's about this series's being romanticized. Elisabeth was young, gorgeous, neurotic and extremely unhappy. People can agree Helene would have likely been a better Empress and still be interested in Sisi.

Last edited:
The Empress or Die Kaiserin is being given a 2022 release date and will be just 6 episodes long.

I am really tired of the romanticizing this situation. Franz put his wants in front of what was good for his country. Yes this is one of the numerous Cinderella stories, but there needs to be some mention that Franz mother was right that Sissi was a bad choice.

I went to the Hofburg in 2019 and it was all Sisi this, Sisi that and Sisi the other. Even the Christmas market stalls were selling Sisi Christmas decorations! I understand that they're running businesses and trying to sell souvenirs, but the story really has been over-romanticised, as you say. But she's certainly an interesting figure.

She was also pathologically vain, and was quite cruel to her son Rudolph's wife Stephanie.

When one takes into account that Sissi was an indifferent mother(to put it charitably), I can't find anything interesting about this woman other than her famous beauty and tragic death.:sad:

How about the fact she was a teenager who could not refuse the Emperor and was trapped in a position she didn't want for the rest of her life? It's fortunate she cared for Franz the little she did and was good at winning people over when she felt like it, or her life would have been an even bigger tragedy than it was.

Back
Top Bottom