Meghan Markle's Fashion and Style Part 1: November 2017 - May 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone compared Meghan's minimalist style to the Duchess of Windsor's style: I can't see that at all. Wallis' style is very dated. Meghan's style is sleek. Though perhaps both adhere to Coco Channel's dictum: “Before you leave the house, look in the mirror and take one thing off.”

Coco also said: "Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance." Yet I don't think of Wallis' style as one of simplicity (quite): she strikes me as the Victorian trying to make peace with modern streamlined sensibilities. ;)

Last edited:
And we're back to blah with a cute purse. Cape dress doesn't do it for me, but maybe my expectations were too high after the last two very good looks. Oh well, they won't all be great.

Is she wearing hose, or is it just me? If so, good, she should when with HM.

Cape, CAPE:eek:. I like this. IIRC Letizia and Mathilde and Maxima wore something similar before, which I also love it. It is simple but not boring at all. She doesn't need bling bling jewelry tonight - leave it for the birthday girl! (I don't see other ladies wear big jewelry too) These statement jewelry probably may ruin the simplicity design of the dress and her usual minimalist style actually is quite suitable for it.

Letizia certainly has. She has worn a cape more then once. This reminds me a bit of this look of Letizia:

https://www.express.co.uk/life-styl...tizia-spain-news-pictures-sport-awards-madrid

I think Meghan and Letizia have a very similar style. More sleek, professional, modern. Almost business like. Simplistic on any type of jewelry or accessories, focussed on lines. Hopefully like Letizia, will add pops of color and such from time to time.

Meghan really has a feel of being another Letizia/Charlene kind of dresser. A bit more modern edge. Where Kate is at best comparable to someone like Mathilde, with a more retro vibe (though Mathilde's is more polished IMO).

Another thing I think we should consider here is the fact that people accuse Meghan of being too "Hollywood" at the slightest thing. But if she's just Jane Doe marrying Prince Harry, no one would've utter that word at her 90% of the time it's been uttered about her. The fact that word is so closely associated with her every time she does something different is because she was an actress. I do think Meghan is well aware of that. And if we are to think this woman has self-awareness when it comes to image, and I do think she does, then that'd be a good reason for her to dress down a little bit and lay low at least until the wedding. And if she glams up anymore, I do think I'd be hearing that word thrown at her a lot more.

I think Meghan and Letizia have a very similar style. More sleek, professional, modern. Almost business like. Simplistic on any type of jewelry or accessories, focussed on lines. Hopefully like Letizia, will add pops of color and such from time to time.

Agree pretty much though I think Meghan will have a bit more flare. :flowers: Generally I usually see anything Letizia wearing as a possibility for Meghan but there is a difference.

Meghan really has a feel of being another Letizia/Charlene kind of dresser. A bit more modern edge. Where Kate is at best comparable to someone like Mathilde, with a more retro vibe (though Mathilde's is more polished IMO).

Yep, I see that, too, similar but not absolutely the same, even with Charlene. :flowers: Meghan's background will inevitably impact what she does (California/Actress). Just will. In fact, as an actress she is well acquainted with showing off the flesh, accentuating her erotic femaleness, which means (I think) that she will have no interest in going that route as a royal. Note that with every dress the hemline has been very long.

Wallis' style is very dated.

Perhaps if you had paid more attention to what I actually wrote you'd have understood it better ? The DoW style is inevitably going to look 'dated' given that she was at her apogee 80 odd years ago..
Nevertheless her 'dictum's' remain valid and DEEPLY stylish- Simple, well cut forms enlivened with one or [maximum] two pieces of staggering jewellery. That is 'Royal'...
Every day I see London Secretaries better dressed than Ms Markle, and on a far tighter budget..

I personally think Letizia wore it better. Notice she has no belt or jewelry either.

Letizia's got the better dress...it's fitted better and the cape (and material) are different...this looks very nice. Would love to see Meghan in that dress.

LaRae

I personally think Letizia wore it better. Notice she has no belt or jewelry either.

I agree, and I don't even like that army-fatigue green of Letizia's dress. It seems to me that the QL's dress is cut better, and is altogether more flattering. After looking at more photos of Meghan's cape dress, in certain photos the overall impression is very much of a large, navy blue paper bag with a hole cut out at the top for her head. So overall, the more I see of it, the less I am liking it; although I don't think it's bad, I just think other designers have done the cape thing in a more becoming way.

Never been a fan of Meghan’s dressing. But both her dresses yesterday were bang on

The cap dress is by far her best look sine her engagement
everything looks perfect

I am very fond of this last look. Very discreet but very elegant.

She's not a "traditional royal" by any measure and that is obviously reflected in her fashion choices.

Here's a link to one of the photos that gave me second thoughts about the cape dress: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bh2N2U_jnrd/?hl=en&taken-by=officialdonel

I hope I did that link correctly.

There were some other photos, but I can't find them, will post if I do.

But it does illustrate the problem I have with some of Stella McCartney's clothing: she seems more interested sometimes in the concept, rather than how the clothing actually looks on a human body, and whether it is flattering or not.

Last edited:
I still give mEghan's dress a passing grade but I agree it looks too big on her like a giant blue whale swallowed her feet first.
(..)

Last edited by a moderator:
(..) Letizia's dress was a fitted design where as Meghan's is meant to be more flowy.

I think Letizia's dress was a more appropriate choice for a more formal daytime event, but not necessary would've worked for last night. Meghan's had more of a evening/cocktail dress feel to it.

Looking at the wow details about the expensive gold Naheem Khan constellation clutch, it's more than simply cute, it's luxurious and elegantly stylish.

The navy cape dress, I found to be elegant yet simple and understated, which appears to be the way Meghan wants to present herself right now, which is understandable. She's going through a huge lifestyle transformation, and so her sartorial style is in transition.

I like it. The bag is gorgeous. But maybe a different hairstyle.

At last – colour!!! The green floral dress is just lovely, and Meghan's hair was nice, a good look all round.

Meghan looked really terrific in the cape dress which I find surprising because as a rule, I have never liked them. I loved the way her updo allowed us a really good look at her gold earrings which she chose to match up with her clutch and her shoes complimenting her dress. Interesting! Oh by the way . . . . .
SHE WORE NUDE STOCKINGS​

Edit: I love the length she wears her dresses as they are so flattering on her and just dowdy on many, many other women.

Last edited:
:previous: LOL I knew I could count on you MARG. Yes I saw the stockings too. :lol: Hope you also saw that was the 1st time she wore them all week. Stockings in HMQ's presence...check. What I want to see is if Meghan wears stockings to church when HMQ isn't there? I'm betting no.

She looks great. At first I thought she was wearing a tweed material dress when I only saw the top. But it's a flowy dress. I think Meghan does very well with dresses this length thanks to her skinny legs. :lol:

I think Meghan looks lovely. Like the dress length and style. (..)

She looks great. At first I thought she was wearing a tweed material dress when I only saw the top. But it's a flowy dress. I think Meghan does very well with dresses this length thanks to her skinny legs. :lol:

You may be right on that. :flowers: Her chosen dress lengths suit her.

Is it warm in London? I am assuming so given Meghan's bare arms. We have an overcast day so far here in LA. Had some drizzly rain in the very early hours.

Last edited:
You may be right on that. :flowers: Her chosen dress lengths suit her.

Is it warm in London? I am assuming so given Meghan's bare arms. We have an overcast day so far here in LA. Had some drizzly rain in the very early hours.

Don't know about today, but I do think they are in the middle of a heatwave. I think they mentioned the London Marathon that Harry attended on Sunday was the warmest on record.

Meghan looks great today. Two thumbs up for this dress. The nude shoes are a bit of a head scratcher but they're fine. No stockings as I predicted.

(...)

The dress is from Hugo Boss. One of my favorite brands for their simple aesthetics and tailoring. Hope to see more pieces from this brand on Meghan in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom