King Abdullah & Queen Rania & Family: Current News & Pictures Part 15

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jordan is such a tightly controlled country that many, many things could be changed AND enforced if the political will was there. The change has to be instigated at the top so that it 'trickles down' and let us not forget that it was Rania herself who made the issue of 'honour killings' one of 'her' issues. It wasn't forced upon her.

They don't want to upset the Bedu tribes because that is where their main support comes from. It is where all Hashemite power rests and always has done - please read history books for confirmation.

If they upset the tribes by instigating laws that go against an ingrained practice, then the throne will be even more uneasy than it already is. That is the real reason why nothing is done.

Unlike Pakistani terrain which is extremely mountainous and difficult to police, Jordan is not.

We haven't actually heard much about so called honour killings for a while now from Rania - I wonder why not? Could it be because nothing has been done and better to keep quiet and hope people forget than to admit failure?

lizz70 said:
Precisely Genevieve!

Joseph Goebbels, Hitler's Minister of Propaganda is very famous for saying

'If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it'

This constant repetition and attending of 'conferences/forums/councils' where all anyone ever does is talk, the jetting off round theworld to pick up tinny little medals and honours - what does it achieve? They just talk about modernisation and lifting Jordan out of poverty - what a shame they don't put their money where their mouth is. I am quite sure Rania could do with a few less clothes and jewels.

You said they were using the tactics of Goebbels, that's a direct comparison with the Nazis. It's not unreasonale for people to assume you are comparing them to the Nazis.

But then I'd rather not get drawn into a discussion on the Nazis. If you want to coninue down that line though that's your choice.

I see your point Lizz70,and I agree totally,but I don't think it's smart from them to use that tactic,because lies have short life,and if they can divert a few time from what's happening really,the HISTORY won't do....

If somebeody doesn't want to hear about "nazis" connection with this tactic,so it's more famous in psychology by "Methode Couet":"you keep repeating things aven if they are not real,and people and yourself could finish by believing it"

I just think if Rania and Abdullah would quit visiting United States, Britian, France etc. to promote "cultural awareness" we would be some places. We don't approval of United States to know that Jordan and it's people are great. We don't need to meet with Laura Bush to show that we agree with the American cause. This is just a waste of time and an excuse to shop at Rodeo Drive. If we actually followed the American idea of democracy, freedom of speech etc. we would be recognized as an ally of America than what we are doing right now: just talk. If Rania would stop pleaing to the world to accept Islam as a peaceful country and actually help Muslim women to be something productive I think that would demonstrate the message of Islam better. Appearing on Oprah is not the way to tell people how Jordan is just like the rest of the world. Is suprises me how Rania portrays Jordainian women just like they are American, when the true American message is to celebrate differences and practice tolerance. This country is based on different cultures and each of them portray women differently and they are proud of it. Maybe Rania didn't get the hint. Oh well, next time.:cool:

Intersting points indeed. but we have to keep in mind that much of Jordan's international aid comes from USA, the richest country on the planet, that's why the couple are flying now & then there, they want to give a picture of Jordan that is modern, democratic,not extreem. plus Jordan will never say NO to USA in anything, the war in Iraq for example, they did use their bases to fly to Iraq, not because they wanted what's best for Iraqis, simply because they didn't have a choice, Saudis on the other hand said No despite their close relations. And for Rania'spending..It was already discussed more than ones..it's too late, she's already addicted!!

Last edited:
The goodwill bank account statement she made on Oprah was hilarious! Did anyone else catch it? I don't know how she could say that with a straight face.

Laraib said:
I just think if Rania and Abdullah would quit visiting United States, Britian, France etc. to promote "cultural awareness" we would be some places. We don't approval of United States to know that Jordan and it's people are great. We don't need to meet with Laura Bush to show that we agree with the American cause. This is just a waste of time and an excuse to shop at Rodeo Drive. If we actually followed the American idea of democracy, freedom of speech etc. we would be recognized as an ally of America than what we are doing right now: just talk. If Rania would stop pleaing to the world to accept Islam as a peaceful country and actually help Muslim women to be something productive I think that would demonstrate the message of Islam better. Appearing on Oprah is not the way to tell people how Jordan is just like the rest of the world. Is suprises me how Rania portrays Jordainian women just like they are American, when the true American message is to celebrate differences and practice tolerance. This country is based on different cultures and each of them portray women differently and they are proud of it. Maybe Rania didn't get the hint. Oh well, next time.:cool:

I find your comments insightful. What makes learning about other cultures so interesting is to see them as they are. It insults my intelligence when someone presents a unique culture like Jordanian culture through the framework of "see how much we are like Americans!" This is what happened during Rania's visit to the Oprah show last week. She showed three "average" women living in the Capital City of Jordan and only showed aspects of their lives that she thought American audiences could relate to, like the working mother who ordered Domino's Pizza for lunch! Another "typical"mother of three was shown in an exercise class trying to lose weight. I am not saying that women in Jordan don't regularly do these things, but I felt that something was missing from that presentation, the things that make Jordan unique.

I think the king and Queen of jordan are doing their best for the country, of course theres going to be problems around as Jordan is surronded with torublent naighbours and to be honest its the same case in all the arab countries. I dont understand, is Queen Rania the only Jordain royal who spends a lot amount of money on cloths, or do other Jordans royals buy theirs from charity shops:confused: :rolleyes: didnt Queen Alia was dressed back in the 70s by Italian fashion Icon Valention??!!

I think Queen Rania has character, strong presence and shes down to earth as well, well thats the impression i get from reading her interviews(of course i dont know her persoanlly) im not a big fan of her either!! But i think people are always nagative towards her isnt she working hard for Jordan?? What does she just sit around all day do nothing but shop around the world or somthing?? I think you'd say that she does alot of work for Jordan and of course there always be critics first hand to critises her but thats only natural it only goes with their Job.

Working hard in what way? She attends lots of functions, which I agree must be tiresome but hardly in the same league as someone who has to work hard day in day out to support their family - without the perks of mega-wealth

Does all the Royal families and not just Jordan's go out their like the rest of us and earn their money??:confused:

I red her interview on Hellomagazine cant rememebr which one but the Queen had like 4 hour sleep and then she had to go around the conuntry to inspect whatevers been going on in the Jordanian cities, can some one actually tell me she does nothing other than attend functions???:confused: Surly she does more than that!

lizz70 said:
This constant repetition and attending of 'conferences/forums/councils' where all anyone ever does is talk, the jetting off round theworld to pick up tinny little medals and honours - what does it achieve? They just talk about modernisation and lifting Jordan out of poverty - what a shame they don't put their money where their mouth is. I am quite sure Rania could do with a few less clothes and jewels.

Unlike other monarchies, Jordan is not a monarchy that can rest on the laurels of looking pretty and presenting a glamorous lifestyle.

In Denmark, it may be okay for Mary to show up once a week at some royal engagement in a pretty and expensive suit from Prada and she could still have 100% approval from the Danish people.

But in Jordan that isn't the case. Especially since when the King and Queen came to the throne they vowed change for the Jordanian people. When you have such a significant portion of your country's population lacking in everything from the basics of food and water to other needs such as education or rights such as equality for women, then you need to step up and deliver those things to them. I realize that some things take time, but in the years since they've been on the throne, it seems that no change has been brought about by their rule. And unlike other monarchs, the King does have the power to bring about political change and ensure that policies pass or are blocked.

To my above point about Mary, in the two years since she's been crown princess even she has recycled more of her clothing than Rania has in her years on the throne, which are double or even triple that of Mary's. We have seen her wear her engagement evening gown on at least three occasions now. When was the last expensive designer evening gown that Rania wore more than twice let alone three times?

In all honesty, I think Queen Rania's been trying to downplay the wardrobe issue by wearing clothes that do not look couture at all. She seems to have established a working uniform for herself--often, a white or brown jacket over a white dress or tan slacks and usually adds a big belt. I've been actually wondering if she's trying to make the statement that she's aware of the criticism of past spending so is toning it down--a lot! QN did much the same after the riots at Ma'an where people were calling for KH to divorce her and their frustrations included what they saw as her lavish spending on clothes and jewels. So, she locked the jewels up and limited herself to a charm bracelet from her children ("Nine Parts of Desire") and then wore kaftans or skirts with simple peplum jackets whenever in public. I get the feeling the same thing is happening with QR and she's subtly communicating the fact she "gets it" through her clothing choices these days.

With all respect Maryshawn, I couldn't disagree more. I think Rania continues to dress extravagently and the last few weeks provide more than enough examples of that. She wore couture dresses for the Time Mag function, for the launching of the cartoon series with Barbara Bush, in Britain for some event, and in Jordan during the Spanish state visit.

Plus, while she usually does wear slacks and a top with belt during her visits to Jordan, her outfits are rarely the same and few pieces get recycled. Her jewellery is constantly updated and while it maybe simple jewellery, I am sure it is still expensive. In addition, she wears new outfits for greeting visitors such as Queen Sophia, the Indonesian president, and the Egyptian president. And she always has a pair of usually new designer high-heeled shoes every time she appears in public.

Queen Rania, I believe, has yet to display Noor's wisdom.

I understand and you're likely correct about the couture gowns at evening occasions. I guess what I am a bit puzzled by is the daytime clothing she often sports. It's usually the jacket and dress or slacks bit and, in my opinion, it's not very flattering to her nor do the pieces look very costly. The change seems striking given how she used to dress--during the day--and, if you look back, it does seem she's favoring the same rather monochromatic "look." Perhaps deliberately as it gives the appearance--to me--she is often wearing the same or very similar jackets and slacks. The white cotton looking dresses topped by heavy looking jackets just don't suit her and seem like a departure from past daywear.

QR Visits to the US

Hasn't it been quite awhile since Queen Rania spent as much time as she recently did in the US? Early on in her reign, I just seem to recall hearing about her visiting the States more. I wish there had been more local coverage about her trip to Chicago; there was just a small notice in the papers. I would like to see a reprisal of a 1:1 interview with Oprah for her magazine "O." The last time she wrote about her, I found it interesting--and it's been five years or so so I would really enjoy reading a new article/interview talking about how QR's life has changed in the intervening years.

A wisdom that was attained by years of experience..belive me ..i as a jordanian can well remmebr Noor Extravagent ways very well....a hint : 1st Gulf War ...teh King was trying to get some help from Gulf states and she was jewlery shopping;)....

All are attacking Rania and forgetting others , any way ..aren't all royalty living in a much more better living condetions than their subject all over teh world ?!! if that is so ..then each Royal person should be subjected to a trial:D

I wish I can see the same zealous efforts of analyzing royals performed on other royals of the middle east ….maybe then we can hear of more thorough research …

Think Morocco for example .. I would like to hear our esteemed experts opinion of human rights, lavish spending and so on …

It appears that many here forget that Royalty in general are people who enjoy a much more privileged lifestyles than their subject, we may admire their style, their character..but still…we know deep inside that all should be equal …that what France have realized and successfully

madonna23 said:
With all respect Maryshawn, I couldn't disagree more. I think Rania continues to dress extravagently and the last few weeks provide more than enough examples of that. She wore couture dresses for the Time Mag function, for the launching of the cartoon series with Barbara Bush, in Britain for some event, and in Jordan during the Spanish state visit.

Plus, while she usually does wear slacks and a top with belt during her visits to Jordan, her outfits are rarely the same and few pieces get recycled. Her jewellery is constantly updated and while it maybe simple jewellery, I am sure it is still expensive. In addition, she wears new outfits for greeting visitors such as Queen Sophia, the Indonesian president, and the Egyptian president. And she always has a pair of usually new designer high-heeled shoes every time she appears in public.

Queen Rania, I believe, has yet to display Noor's wisdom.

Last edited:
salwa said:
A wisdom that was attained by years of experience..belive me ..i as a jordanian can well remmebr Noor Extravagent ways very well....a hint : 1st Gulf War ...teh King was trying to get some help from Gulf states and she was jewlery shopping;)....

All are attacking Rania and forgetting others , any way ..aren't all royalty living in a much more better living condetions than their subject all over teh world ?!! if that is so ..then each Royal person should be subjected to a trial:D

I wish I can see the same zealous efforts of analyzing royals performed on other royals of the middle east ….maybe then we can hear of more thorough research …

Think Morocco for example .. I would like to hear our esteemed experts opinion of human rights, lavish spending and so on …

It appears that many here forget that Royalty in general are people who enjoy a much more privileged lifestyles than their subject, we may admire their style, their character..but still…we know deep inside that all should be equal …that what France have realized and successfully

Salwa, I agree with you to an extent that the JRF are mot the only monarchy to live the high life, however, I don't see Lalla Salma doing photo spreads in Hello or appearances on Oprah.

The biggest objection to Abdullah and Rania that i have is that after all the talking, talking and more talking, swanning around the world etc etc, they haven't actually done anything of real note and they do have the power to change a good many things.

Nobody forced attention on them, they have actively courted it and have chosen to make all the promises and statements about reform - nothing major has changed.

If they stopped talking and actually DID something useful and really constructive then I might feel differently. They are the ones who publicized themselves as 'the reformers', 'the modernists' etc.

madonna23 said:

She also admitted recently though that she "borrows" alot of her dresses from designers. As she's worn quite a few designs by Rochas recently I suspect she goes through periods of borrowing clothes from different desingers.
Either way, if she hasn't paid for her evening gowns then she's saved thousands, they would be the most expensive items in her wardrobe.

lizz70 said:
Working hard in what way? She attends lots of functions, which I agree must be tiresome but hardly in the same league as someone who has to work hard day in day out to support their family - without the perks of mega-wealth

That applies to any royal though, regardless of the country they come from. At least she's attending functions, there are other Royal women (notably Arab) who do little or nothing in way of Royal duties.

AMMAN (JT) — Foreign Minister Abdul Ilah Khatib on Saturday said a visit today by King Abdullah and Queen Rania to Kuwait seeks to boost bilateral ties and enhance cooperation on regional and international issues.

Khatib told the Kuwait News Agency (KUNA) that the visit "reflects the good relationships between Jordan and Kuwait," adding that increasing Kuwaiti investments in Jordan contributes to stronger ties between the two countries
LINK

salwa said:

Talking about the human rights thing in Morocco,Morocco is doing the best in whole Middle east and North africa in this matter,I know it's still not enough comparing to Europe for example,but changes are here and obvious from 1999 till now,and there's a big difference between what was under King HassanII for example and King M6,just the results are here,and nobody can deny them,inlike Jordan....Didn't Mrs Barbara Bush say that on her visit last year to Jordan..and Jordan and other countries in the region should follow the Morocco's example....

Last edited:
Little_star said:
She also admitted recently though that she "borrows" alot of her dresses from designers. As she's worn quite a few designs by Rochas recently I suspect she goes through periods of borrowing clothes from different desingers.
Either way, if she hasn't paid for her evening gowns then she's saved thousands, they would be the most expensive items in her wardrobe.

It is a shame that she borrows clothes from designes,imo,this is not very royal,is she obliged to attend only in designer dresses??!!...,I think it's better for her to promote her country's designers and style(the moroccan princesses are a good example for that),instead of being a tool of adverstising for famous designers ....

Nad25 said:
Does all the Royal families and not just Jordan's go out their like the rest of us and earn their money??:confused:

I red her interview on Hellomagazine cant rememebr which one but the Queen had like 4 hour sleep and then she had to go around the conuntry to inspect whatevers been going on in the Jordanian cities, can some one actually tell me she does nothing other than attend functions???:confused: Surly she does more than that!

It's funny for somebody who doesn't find even time to sleep enough,that she find time to pose and make interviews in "hello and holamagazine","Bazaar" "Oprah"....,maybe this is her priorities....

Imo,she worked more when she was a secretary for "citybank" than now as a "Jetsetter Queen"...

Monalisa said:
It's funny for somebody who doesn't find even time to sleep enough,that she find time to pose and make interviews in "hello and holamagazine","Bazaar" "Oprah"....,maybe this is her priorities....

Imo,she worked more when she was a secretary for "citybank" than now as a "Jetsetter Queen"...
Silly me, and I thought most queens and princesses pose for the media and cut red ribbons, while getting paid by the public, whether such royalty happen to enjoy the glow of tyranical power or full fledged democracy. This absurd idea that Queen Rania can actually do more for her country could only be claimed by someone who doesn't understand the political dynamic of a middle eastern state. If democracy works for the region, then it would have been a blessing for Iraq where the rate of death will exceed that under psycho Sadam by 2010.

PS. Instead of bitching about another woman's lack of promoting 'native design,' or past secretarial job, maybe actual substance on her work will be more interesting to read. I'm all for some reality check when it comes to north american media towards arab countries beyond the next suicide bomber, but atlease Queen Rania is the only visible female presence in a middle eastern monarchy. I can go on and on about what Rania lacks, but I can also acknowledge the positive role she plays in her country whether its the Jordan River Foundation or her campaign for the protection of children. She knows that the media and sadly our western superficial focus on female beauty can be used to promote causes and economic reforms for Jordan, which is why young monarch from Princess Mary to Queen Rania allow the media to focus on their supposed glamour.

salwa said:

Morroco is just begining to comprehend the concept that you can't sick your secret police on every man and woman that disagrees with the king. Its not as bad as Algeria, but neither is it as progressive as Tunisia when it comes to human rights in relation to women. Present King decided to open Morocco to western investment and realizes respect for the rule of law is part of developing his country, which is primarely populated by extremely traditional community.

Last edited:
Thank you :)..

No royal is perfect ..it is not her fault that she is a media figure ...if she was dowdy looking peopel would still talk and say ..what kind of a qqueen is this ? if she keeps on leading the typical first lady program of any Arab king wife ..people wpuld say she doesn't contrebute to society and so ...what does she have to do to gain acceptance? ha?

funny thing we cannot hear any complaints about other Royal figures ..

She is doing her best ..and that is enough for us Jordanian ..for all we know ..she could just be the king wife and sit down to have tea with other royalty ..but she is trying to make a change...and change do not come easy ..it need to be spread nationally and internationally ..so even if she and the king repeat what tehy state in each occasion ..it is because some mentalities need to hear this again and again ...

Lamyah said:
Silly me, and I thought most queens and princesses pose for the media and cut red ribbons, while getting paid by the public, whether such royalty happen to enjoy the glow of tyranical power or full fledged democracy. This absurd idea that Queen Rania can actually do more for her country could only be claimed by someone who doesn't understand the political dynamic of a middle eastern state. If democracy works for the region, then it would have been a blessing for Iraq where the rate of death will exceed that under psycho Sadam by 2010.

PS. Instead of bitching about another woman's lack of promoting 'native design,' or past secretarial job, maybe actual substance on her work will be more interesting to read. I'm all for some reality check when it comes to north american media towards arab countries beyond the next suicide bomber, but atlease Queen Rania is the only visible female presence in a middle eastern monarchy. I can go on and on about what Rania lacks, but I can also acknowledge the positive role she plays in her country whether its the Jordan River Foundation or her campaign for the protection of children. She knows that the media and sadly our western superficial focus on female beauty can be used to promote causes and economic reforms for Jordan, which is why young monarch from Princess Mary to Queen Rania allow the media to focus on their supposed glamour.

Morroco is just begining to comprehend the concept that you can't sick your secret police on every man and woman that disagrees with the king. Its not as bad as Algeria, but neither is it as progressive as Tunisia when it comes to human rights in relation to women. Present King decided to open Morocco to western investment and realizes respect for the rule of law is part of developing his country, which is primarely populated by extremely traditional community.

We can argue till the end of the day Morocco Vs Jordan in Human rights' matter,but reality is here,and in Jordan I can't see local papers critisizing lavish life of their royals or even their need and way of ruling, as it's done in Morocco(Telquel,Le Journal,Aljareeda....none of the journalists of those moroccan independant papers who had write about those topics is jailed or so,and papers are still sold publicly)...,without talking about the honour killings...

Also,both royal families might have a lavish life,but Morocco is not living from International aids,inlike Jordan....

Last edited:
So Morroco do not have people living in poverty at all?!! Soem areas in Morrocco suffer from the lack of all human being decent living condetions like any other Arab country ...KSA & even UAE have their share of poverty ..belive it or not ..

Just the other day i was shocked of something i saw on Dubai " Sama Dubai TV" of a family living in a shack like house ..this family had 4 handicaped children and live on almost nothing ....Many freind of mine whose parents live in Saudi Arabia can write books on poverty ....

What about political prisoners who are still missing since King Hassan days ? Or ones in the deseart hidden jails ?

So Jordan is not a rare case and it's royalty are no diffrent than others .....

Am not saying that Morroco isn't going in the right way " at least better thanit was under King Hassan and with king Mohammad like King Abdulla -modern and realistic ", progress and development cannot be observed in a short period ..some times it takes a decade and is affected by regional and international changes ..political and economic ...

Morocco has a per capita income of $1,200, placing it in the lower class of middle-income countries in the region. Its social indicators are among the lowest in the region. Approximately 49% of adults aged 15 and above were illiterate in 2002, placing Morocco at 20th among the 22 Arab League countries (surpassing only Mauritania and Yemen). Women are particularly affected, with female illiteracy rate at 62 percent, and significantly higher in rural areas. Progress made in the early nineties in poverty alleviation has been lost: approximately 20% of the total population remains under the absolute poverty line (about one dollar per day), with two-thirds being located in rural areas (3.5 million, or more than 10% of the population). Moreover, about 55% of the rural population and 33% of the urban population were considered "economically vulnerable" in 2003. The country's economy remains overly dependant on rain, and adverse climatic conditions directly impact the level of rural poverty. Economic growth is further constrained by government policies that retard rapid modernization of the rural economy, diversification of cereal production, and efficient use of scarce water resources. Urban poverty is a direct consequence of unemployment, which is particularly high among youth (up to 35.4% in 15-24 year olds in 2004 alone). Such a high unemployment among youth contributes to insecurity and instability in urban areas.

Ref. USAID

http://www.usaid.gov/our_work/democracy_and_governance/regions/ane/morocco.html

Monalisa said:
We can argue till the end of the day Morocco Vs Jordan in Human rights' matter,but reality is here,and in Jordan I can't see local papers critisizing lavish life of their royals or even their need and way of ruling, as it's done in Morocco(Telquel,Le Journal,Aljareeda....none of the journalists of those moroccan independant papers who had write about those topics is jailed or so,and papers are still sold publicly)...,without talking about the honour killings...

Also,both royal families might have a lavish life,but Morocco is not living from International aids,inlike Jordan....

Last edited:
Queen Rania cant besically win, if she goes on public and admitts borrowing cloths form designers that means shes not paying a penny still people's not happy about that! If she spends (oh shes spending too much money)..and by giving intreviws to magazines such as Hello, isnt a good advertise for Jordans tourism:confused: :confused: :rolleyes: because if she dosnt promote the country who else will:confused: she is the Queen of Jordan, didnt Noor do that before? And iv seen her wearing Jordanian cloths several times before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom