Haakon and Mette-Marit Current Events: April 2007 - January 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my favorite Royal couple! They look great together and Haakon is SO HANDSOME! :wub:

As usual though, I don't like her boring dark clothes. :ermm:
Oh, and that cake looks delicious..is that almond paste?

The cake looks devine, now I'm hungry!

Gosh, in this photo-article page, it states (about half of the way down) that MM's wearing crocodile-skin shoes!
Really? :ermm:
Poor 'gators ...

In some parts of the US, wearing real fur and animal skins [apart from good old fashioned cow (leather)] is frowned upon, especially the wearing of exotic, or near-extinct, animal skins, and furs

In some parts of the US, wearing real fur and animal skins [apart from good old fashioned cow (leather)] is frowned upon, especially the wearing of exotic, or near-extinct, animal skins, and furs

Yes at times discussions here have been extensive about it. Most recently Princess Isabella's mink coat, but also about royal hunts.

Yes at times discussions here have been extensive about it. Most recently Princess Isabella's mink coat, but also about royal hunts.

Well, I understand that overseas, in Europe wearing real fur and exotic animal skins isn't the big deal that it is here in the US, but when our celebrities step out (such as J.Lo, for instance) wearing Chinchilla of mink, then all Heck breaks loose! And, you can have paint thrown on you, too, here for wearing real fur!

I just think it's a shame to wear the real thing when so many nice faux fur coats are made, nowadays. Also, you can make perfectly fabulous looking shoes out of cowhide, which is the done thing, and not use alligators, lizards and such.

Our poor endangered animals need saving, not slaughtering, in my opinion.

-- Abbie

Well, I understand that overseas, in Europe wearing real fur and exotic animal skins isn't the big deal that it is here in the US, but when our celebrities step out (such as J.Lo, for instance) wearing Chinchilla of mink, then all Heck breaks loose! And, you can have paint thrown on you, too, here for wearing real fur!

I just think it's a shame to wear the real thing when so many nice faux fur coats are made, nowadays. Also, you can make perfectly fabulous looking shoes out of cowhide, which is the done thing, and not use alligators, lizards and such.

Our poor endangered animals need saving, not slaughtering, in my opinion.

-- Abbie

I don't think this is the place to discuss what goes on in the USA regarding endangered species. The Animal Rights Discussion Part 2 thread in Members' Corner seems a more appropriate setting especially considering the difference in cultures. What's the difference between wearing alligator shoes or eating a good beef steak or salmon steak... except the price, not that it makes any of this right or wrong. I just don't understand why you seem to think old Brownie should give up her skin before the other animals?! :eek:

I don't think this is the place to discuss what goes on in the USA regarding endangered species. The Animal Rights Discussion Part 2 thread in Members' Corner seems a more appropriate setting especially considering the difference in cultures. What's the difference between wearing alligator shoes or eating a good beef steak or salmon steak... except the price, not that it makes any of this right or wrong. I just don't understand why you seem to think old Brownie should give up her skin before the other animals?! :eek:

Mandy, on the one hand you tell me this isn't the place to discuss animal rights, and then (on the other hand) you continue to ask me questions about why I think the way I do, therefore prompting me to respond.

Since you DID ask, here is my response:

I care more about 'gators than cattle, because the former is endangered here, but since you have dictated that we not discuss this matter here, so ....

Some more links

Mette-Marit varmet Nils Åke (5) - VG Nett om Kongehuset

Kald start på Finnmark-besøk - Nyheter - Kongelige - Aftenposten.no

http://nrk.no/kanal/nrk_sami_radio/1.6465647

The articles says that the Crown Prince held a short speech in Sami, and that when he was finished asked the people if they had understood him, seeming unsure of his abilities in the Sami language.

It was very cold, above -20C to up to -30C, and the little boy The Crown Princess is seen comforting is crying because of the cold and he had been standing outside for a long time waiting for the Crown Prince Couple. The Crown Princes made sure he got a shawl to keep warm.

They are following in the tracks of the King and Queen, who made a trip like this when they were the Crown Prince Couple, and Crown Prince Haakon said he had heard a lot of stories from that trip and was looking forward to learning more about Sami daily life. He also said that the Sami people and the Norwegian people had things to learn from each other. "It's about co-existing and respecting each other" he said.

They kept warm wearing traditional Sami-clothing handmade for them by Karen Anna Longjo.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of the trip. They seem to be enjoying themselves even in the very cold weather.

Last edited:
Another Gallery
Kronprinsparet i Kautokeino - NRK Sámi Radio - NRK

Vestfoldlilja said:
They are following in the tracks of the King and Queen, who made a trip like this when they were the Crown Prince Couple,
Oh yes, right. :)
Although the traditional costumes they wore were a little different to the ones worn by MM and Haakon.
http://i44.tinypic.com/2i91lpx.jpg
http://img153.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=38444_000002124992_122_529lo.jpg&loc=loc529
http://img200.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=38454_HaraldSonjaUpNorth_122_88lo.jpg
(knudsens, Scanpix)

Last edited:
There are many different traditional sami-clothings just as there are many different types of bunads. The sami clothes are typically called samedrakt/samekofte in Norwegian. From the video of the Crown Prince family at Svalbard released for Princess Ingrid's birthday one can see that both the Crown Princess and the young Princess wrore traditinal sami shoes. They keep the feet very varm :)

I think it's very nice and good of the Crown Prince family to wear traditional clothing and in general show an interest towards the Sami people and their life and culture. I feel there is a general lack of historical and present knowledge among most of the Norwegian people about the Sami people, and I wish more would be thought in school. I do think it has improved since I was at school, but I feel a greater understanding of both cultures is important.

It was also a nice gesture from the Crown Prince to hold some of his speech in Sami. I am sure that meant a lot to people.

I'm adding some links about the Sami people.

The Sámi people (Norway - the official site in the UK)

http://www.norway.org.uk/facts/sami/policy/policy.htm

Sami people - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

An introduction to the Sami people.

Clothing:

Category:Sami clothing - Wikimedia Commons

http://www.arcticphoto.co.uk/gallery2/arctic/peoples/sami/sami.htm

PS: I don't remember the name of the one who thanked me for the translation, but you're welcome :)

Last edited:
Links to videos

Kongelig knall og fall - Troms og Finnmark - NRK Nyheter

Video *|* TV2.no

Iskaldt møte med vidda*|* TV 2 Nyhetene

http://www.aftenposten.no//webtv/?id=12881

http://www.kjendis.no/2009/02/05/kjendis/finnmark/kronprins_haakon/kronprinsesse_mette-marit/reinsdyr/4712233/

Vidda (The mountain plateau) showed itself from its best side and offered drama when the Crown Prince Couple visited Kautokeino.

When the Crown Prince was to sit in the reindeer sledge in Ardni-siidaen, the reindeer was spooked and ran off so that the sledge fell over with the Crown Prince in it. The Crown Prince was fast on his feet again, running after the reindeer, trying to catch up, with one thought in his head.

-That was to try to catch up to it. It got away from me, but some people who were standing there helped me. They knew what they were doing and managed to catch it, so it went okay, a laughing Crown Prince tells.

The Crown Princess also fell out of the sledge, saying;”Sledging with reindeer isn’t my strongest side, but when driving a snow scooter, I do like to go fast”.

The sun stayed veiled in the east and a clear half moon in the west decorated the sky while the Crown Princess led the others out on Vidda (on snow scooters)

The temperatures reached -30C, a clear contrast to what the Crown Prince Couple later were to see at a research summit in Ealat, where they look at how indigenous people adapt to the situation the global warming causes.

- It is not surprising that the global warming can be seen in the nature also here. We can see that the nature shows signs of changes which are not only positive. We also saw that on Svalbard when we were there last summer, and we see it again here. It gives reason for worry, the Crown Prince says.

The King and Queen was at the same place in 1969, and they brought greetings from the Royal couple to the women who back then, as well as now made the sami-clothing for the royals. At the beginning of the snow scooter trail the present Crown Price Couple opened a sign. Since The King and queen was there the open plain has been called Sonjavadda.

Nils Petter Gaup guided them close to his own reindeer herd where they also met Johan N. Logje. An 84 year old man, who is the oldest one still active with reindeer herding. He said”I didn’t know it such fine people who were coming driving. It’s not easy to see who you are when you are dressed in pesk (traditional clothing). Now I have met King Haakon in Alteide, King Olav, King Harald and now the Crown Prince and Mette-Marit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom